Formula for score is broken

4 player pangea, there are just 2 of us left... but I am in "second" even though I am in first for every demographics

Check this out, I am 1st in all demographics:

2012-02-09_00001.jpg

But Russia has more points than me!
2012-02-09_00002.jpg

This is from multiplayer - just alerting you guys the shortcomings of the scoring formula.

You have a good point, the civ he puppeted had created more wonders than my puppet civ. However, he was totally toast in that game, I think the score should have represented that. :crazyeye:

Never game has done this correctly in a real time strategy you can have controll of the hole map and strategic places but he has more score because he has a better economy

4 player pangea, there are just 2 of us left... but I am in "second" even though I am in first for every demographics

Check this out, I am 1st in all demographics:

View attachment 313408

But Russia has more points than me!
View attachment 313409

This is from multiplayer - just alerting you guys the shortcomings of the scoring formula.

18% approbation => (18%-60%)/3% = -14 happiness. Your russian friends has serious problems !

Never game has done this correctly in a real time strategy you can have controll of the hole map and strategic places but he has more score because he has a better economy

My GNP is 108 and his is 65. How is his economy better? GNP = gross national product, in this game how much gold he is bringing in. Also, my production is way above his as well.

My GNP is 108 and his is 65. How is his economy better? GNP = gross national product, in this game how much gold he is bringing in. Also, my production is way above his as well.

I was making a point. He proparly has a lot of wonders or something else that his score makes so big just like in other games you're economy can be good but you're army/ map control bad

You have a good point, the civ he puppeted had created more wonders than my puppet civ. However, he was totally toast in that game, I think the score should have represented that. :crazyeye:

If you base the score on economy, it would be too volatil. I think they want to avoid that. But on the long term, score and economy converge.

I like to play for high score just about all of the time. I use the F8 screen to monitor how things are going. You get points for wonders and research, but the best way to get a big time score is to have a lot of cities with as large as population as possible and that cover as much LAND area as possible. From what I can tell water tiles do not count. The only way that I can beat my current high scores is to own every every inch of the map (or close to it) and take the last enemy civ's capital on the last turn.

I'm not sure I would use the term "broken", but perhaps flawed is the better word. The demographics are not direct inputs into the score. From the games Globaldefines.xml this is how the score is calculated.

SCORE_CITY_MULTIPLIER 8
SCORE_POPULATION_MULTIPLIER 4
SCORE_LAND_MULTIPLIER 1
SCORE_WONDER_MULTIPLIER 25
SCORE_TECH_MULTIPLIER 4
SCORE_fun utopiaTURE_TECH_MULTIPLIER 10

So wonders, though not as strong as a year ago are still weighted more than any other single factor and are not part of the demographics screens.

CS

interesting thread. i dont play mp much yet and for single player i dont really care much about score. im just trying to refine my gameplay for earliest vics. i guess score means more in mp? (i dont mean score is done differently for mp but players value it for bragging rights, comparisons, etc.)

I like to go for high score in single player just to give me something to beat. The only problem is that there seems to be only one method to getting a high score (as I mentioned above).

Well actually I heard of a second one, but I never tried it. If you win the game in a ridiculously short time that is supposed to give very high scores. People have posted that you can get a very high score by playing on a duel map against one other player and making a beeline for them and destroying them.

interesting thread. i dont play mp much yet and for single player i dont really care much about score. im just trying to refine my gameplay for earliest vics. i guess score means more in mp? (i dont mean score is done differently for mp but players value it for bragging rights, comparisons, etc.)

Some games have turn limits, such as game ends in 100 turns, and then the winners and losers are according to points. This makes for some funny stuff in the last few turns, like people spamming junk cities just to increase their points.

I like to play for high score just about all of the time. I use the F8 screen to monitor how things are going. You get points for wonders and research, but the best way to get a big time score is to have a lot of cities with as large as population as possible and that cover as much LAND area as possible. From what I can tell water tiles do not count. The only way that I can beat my current high scores is to own every every inch of the map (or close to it) and take the last enemy civ's capital on the last turn.

No water tiles do not count.

CS

I never thought of the turn limit thing for MP. That makes the odd scoring kind of a big deal then. There's no way someone who's that far behind (GDP, manufactured goods, population & military) should be "winning" the game. I think wonders are given too much weight. Is there a good reason why wonders would be so important while efficiency is totally discounted?

Or just set up a rule where the player need to dominate at least in 1 more category to get the win. Take a screenshot. Simple as that.

There is 8 measures. If it's a tie, take the score as a final result. But usually, someone leading in the crop yield field will lack in production and vice versa. Not an optimal way to determinate the true winner but i think it's good enough to measurate with efficiency. If you lead both, like in the OP screenshot, there is some evidence that you are the big winner.

Top Bottom