Rebalancing Proposal

Check out the thread about how players/resources get placed in the strategy forum. It explains that topic in detail. :)

Try out this strategy:

• Bismark
  • Emperor difficulty
  • Normal speed / size
  • Pangaea-plus (if you have it) or Pangaea
    For anyone who doesn't have it, I'd highly recommend getting the explorers map pack to unlock the Continents-Plus and Pangaea-Plus maps. Those are by far the best things released in any of the DLCs for Civ over the past two years!
Try this build order:

1. Scout
  2. Scout
  3. Worker
  4. Purchase monument
  5. Pyramids
  6. Statue of Zeus (if you have it)
  7. Purchase a barracks
  8. Catapults
Build 2 scouts and combine them with your warrior to gang up on barbarians in the early game. Once you have 8-10 captured barbarians go smack a neighboring citystate. Militaristic citystates are the top priority, followed by cultural, then maritime. Captured barbarians are expensive to maintain so don't worry if they get lost. They're expendable and easily replaced.

I'd recommend the Honor tree, then some of Liberty until you unlock Commerce. Honor and Commerce are the priorities. For techs prioritize Catapults then Landsknecht.

Bismark synergizes best with a classical-era conquest strategy, but if you're looking for a challenge, any leader can effectively conquer citystates in the classical era. It takes a little more up-front effort with other leaders. The long-term rewards are definitely worth it for any conqueror. For non-Bismark leaders I typically rush a citystate as soon as I have 2 archers and 2 spearmen, then continue adding to that as my initial wave heals and wears down the CS's defenses.

One thing about the mountain of gold I noticed just recently is that I got the AIs to buy peace for a ridiculous amount of gold. I made about 45K gold from two peace treaties after I did some fair damage and captured a couple cities. I'm not sure if this is a problem.

I just picked up 8500g last night after a long war, and immediately bought research labs for all of my cities except the hammer monsters. That strikes me as unbalanced, but there's not that can be done about it if we beat just about any civ except the minority that are broke. Now, do I think it would make a difference if I'd gained 45K g instead? Again, only aesthetically. Either way I've acquired a big enough pile to win the game going away (as opposed to winning in a closer, more exciting fashion).

The erratic AI peace delegations are, if not broken, then in need of a major recoding.

I just had an idea: each turn I could check every AI leader, and if they aren't spending their gold I could manually deduct it from their treasury to spend on citystates. We don't have direct access to the AI... but it shouldn't be hard to code an manual override like this.

I just had an idea: each turn I could check every AI leader, and if they aren't spending their gold I could manually deduct it from their treasury to spend on citystates. We don't have direct access to the AI... but it shouldn't be hard to code an manual override like this.

That would kill Diplomatic Victories. And CS alliances. That doesn't sound so good to me.

This is an example of why I say that the AI's excess gold, while conceptually problematic, wouldn't be fixed by their spending it. The leading AI could clog the map with units so you couldn't reach their capitals, to use a different example. Or buy literally every building from mid-game on. The problem with the AI lies in the bonus system they have to make them competitive in areas not involving gold. Too much gold is a byproduct of that, and I think the devs made sure they didn't spend it, since it would seemingly be balance-destroying.

I feel diplomatic victories and CS alliances are too easy for the human player right now. Once I get an alliance with a citystate, AI leaders rarely compete for it. The part I like best about the citystate diplomacy mod is it makes the AIs more competitive. I don't feel the AI's handicap bonuses in science and production are an issue. I think the problem is they're not spending the money they do have.

Looking at this part of the todo list:
Spoiler :
A very high priority for me will be to improve the AI. I think the game is relatively well balanced right now... what we need is a better opponent. A fundamental limitation of the AI is it's reactive, not proactive. The AI thinks 1) if happiness is low 2) build happiness. The human thinks several steps ahead. In 50 turns when we start a war happiness will start dropping, so we preemptively build extra happiness and stop population growth early.

My first task will be to change how the AI manages its :c5gold: gold reserve. The AI will aim for a "target gold" amount to provide a cushion for unexpected events.
  • Stored gold > target : spend more
  • Stored gold < target : save more

The target :c5gold: amount depends on things like:
  • Happiness
  • Economic strength
  • Military strength
  • Threat assessments (planning a war, dangerous enemy nearby, etc)
  • Average gold income (income, not surplus = income-expenses)

Here's an example of possible events:
  1. Strong economy with positive happiness.
  2. Target :c5gold: is high so the AI saves more.
  3. Some luxury trade deals end.
  4. Happiness drops from :c5happy: to :c5angry:, lowering the economic strength variable.
  5. Target :c5gold: drops so the AI spends more.

If the AI is in a particularly bad situation the target value might drop to 0. Right now it's basically always 0 - the AI does not appear to plan its finances.

I did some testing. While we don't have direct access to the AI, it appears this is feasible with overrides. I'm thinking about how we could calculate priorities for the AI to spend money on. Here's an example of one leader's priorities from the Leader_Flavors table:

Leader_Alexander
4 Offense
4 Defense
5 City_Defense
5 Military_Training
4 Recon
3 Ranged
7 Mobile
5 Naval
5 Naval_Recon
6 Naval_Growth
6 Naval_Tile_Improvement
7 Air
6 Expansion
5 Growth
5 Tile_Improvement
5 Infrastructure
5 Production
5 Gold
6 Science
4 Culture
6 Happiness
4 Great_People
3 Wonder
5 Religion
7 Diplomacy
5 Spaceship
6 Water_Connection
8 Nuke

The process could be:
  1. If gold is over a threshold (such as 1000).
  2. Randomly pick a high preference, such as "mobile."
  3. Pick the highest-flavor mobile unit buildable in the capital.
  4. Deduct the purchase cost of that unit, and place it in the capital.
This seems like a good starting point to refine with with more complex decision-making later.

I feel diplomatic victories and CS alliances are too easy for the human player right now.

Yes, they are. But I much prefer that state of affairs to effectively eliminating both - especially CS alliances.

Once I get an alliance with a citystate, AI leaders rarely compete for it.

I find they compete a minority of the time, sometimes persistently, and sometimes enough to drive me out of the competition.

The part I like best about the citystate diplomacy mod is it makes the AIs more competitive. I don't feel the AI's handicap bonuses in science and production are an issue. I think the problem is they're not spending the money they do have.

I don't know what CSD has to do with this issue. But maybe I wasn't clear about the AI handicap bonuses. My point is that these bonuses - necessary, as you note, with regard to science and production - also result in excess gold (and happiness). Which is why I'm saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that the basic, unavoidable bonus system is the problem... and that the devs may well have prevented the AI from competing aggressively in gold-related matters as a way to keep the game entertaining.

This same assumption applies to the luxury-trading system the devs created. I think we would all agree that the present AI pretty much has no need of any of our luxuries, due to those bonuses I mentioned - and that if it didn't buy any as a result, the game would be a lot less fun for us.

The idea is to make the AI smarter and reduce its bonuses. The AI would spend its gold on a wide variety of purchases. Do you know why the devs would intentionally avoid this? My guess is they just didn't see the problem or have time to deal with it. :)

Excellent comprehensive job, Seek. Assume I'm in favor as written in the OP except:

1. I would leave the value of luxuries as is. They're worth the most early on, when I have the least access to gold, and worth less as I have more. That seems right - and I don't want to lose most of the early-game investment options because of a reduction.

2. Having unit rush-buy costs being double that of buildings strikes me as too unbalanced, almost by definition. For example, I think it would really hurt in the case of an early AI rush.

3. It seems as if you nerfed gold too much in total, but Thal has already taken a basic crack at gold reduction in the beta, so we can adjust from there.

Similarly, Thal has made an adjustment to RA costs, so let's see how that goes before proposing something different.

4. On a predictive note, if games approach the 350-turn mark, with the human losing some of his edge to the AI, nukes are going to become a major, unwelcome factor that will probably have to be addressed.

1. I disagree, but won't press the point. I've updated the OP with another idea, which is to slow cultural/financial border expansion - half the reason selling luxuries is so powerful is because of the ease of acquiring more luxuries, even in the fourth and fifth rings.

2. Perhaps scaling by era/unit would be better, so we leave the early game alone. We could also exclude Vanguard units so a defensive player wouldn't be too harsh - but that might defeat the purpose.

3. Indeed, I can't wait to try the new beta!

4. At least in VEM we have defense against nukes! But I am hoping for an extension of the game's turns without necessarily extending the actual tech count, etc.

I like the Archaeology idea!

I agree about gold and have been taking steps to give it better status. :thumbsup:

1. Happiness (and AI-luxury trades) depend a lot on playstyle. There's an abundance of happiness in tall-empire games, but conquest games struggle for it. I've done a few things to shift this around: Honor give more happiness, while Tradition gives more food to consume happiness. I also eliminated the vanilla Tradition policy which gave happiness directly from population. I've been planning to redesign the later policy trees, so I will look for ways to expend more mid/late tall empire happiness there.

2. A few versions ago there was feedback policy rates were too slow, and people asked for culture victories to be shifted from late-Modern to late-Industrial. If policies were too slow then, and too fast now... I want to avoid bouncing back and forth a lot. I think I'll leave policy costs alone for a while so we can get a long-term view at it.

3. I did not like Civ 4's approach to events. They were random incidents of good/bad luck scattered through the game, and Civ already has luck built into map creation. My goal with the new system is to provide immersive and challenging choices about how to advance society. Free/cheap/expensive tiers are usually not challenging decisions because we pick the best option we can afford.

4. In VEM rush-buying depends on how developed a city is: higher-tier buildings get a discount. If this discount did not exist we'd automatically buy in undeveloped cities, and build in developed cities.

============

I'll respond to the rest later; gotta head off for now. :)

1. I'm confused - are these undocumented v131.1 beta changes or are these future plans? As I mentioned in response to Txurce above, if lowering AI valuation of luxuries isn't something you think would benefit us, slowing tile acquisition via culture and gold would help a great deal. (It would also increase the value of Stonehenge and the Kremlin.)

What would be ideal, of course, is if the AI valued resources appropriately, valuing them differently in different eras and/or would only give full price when a) at Friendly status and b) needed the resource. (I'm 99% sure this isn't possible with our current modding tools, but I'll pop it into the OP anyway.)

2. Understandable! But that suggestion was "to account for tech cost changes" as I said in the OP - if the tech cost changes aren't implemented there is no need for the culture cost change. But this may be beside the point because Artists and Scientists had their yields halved in v131.1 beta.

3. Ok, I see your point, but right now Opportunities feel like stealing because they're so powerful (and I understand that they will be rebalanced in future updates, so no worries!)

4. I don't see that as a bad thing at all. It should be easy to set up basic infrastructure in new cities late in the game, and more difficult to make them well developed cities.

I
I just beat my cultural victory record on King difficulty last night - turn 169, 1100 AD!!
I was shocked when I read this, until I read this:
PS - I found this interesting. Of the 12 CS's in the game, not ONE was Militaristic. They were all maritime or cultural. I had never seen that before, not that I was complaining.
No wonder you got such an amazing victory date! Is there no code to ensure that a more-or-less equal distribution of CS types appear on the map? Needless to say, I look foreword to Thal making the AI more aggressive in CS alliances.

PS I generally play on standard size/speed, emperor or immortal, continents+.

Original post updated with new stuffs wrt the latest beta releases, ideas and discussion.

The idea is to make the AI smarter and reduce its bonuses. The AI would spend its gold on a wide variety of purchases. Do you know why the devs would intentionally avoid this? My guess is they just didn't see the problem, or have time to deal with it. :)

If we can make the AI smarter and there fore reduce its bonuses, great. This is about helping them maximize those absurd excesses (which, again, apply across the board - I forgot to mention population. Every game I play, at least one AI has double the pop of the next biggest civ). Now if you intend to open the AI gold spigot slowly, I'm all in favor of it - the game will become more competitive. But that wasn't clear in your post, and obviously the AI spending tens of thousands of gold would turn the game on its head.

My speculation is that the devs played the game enough to see how much gold the AI were piling up, and rightly concluded that they could 1) win every single game with a diplomatic victory, 2) choke the map with bought units, 3) control every CS throughout the game, 4) but no luxuries at all... etc, etc... so they prevented them from doing so. (Note they still often rush units and defenses in dire circumstances - and compete to a clearly defined degree for CS once the UN is built - so some thought went into this.)

1. I disagree, but won't press the point. I've updated the OP with another idea, which is to slow cultural/financial border expansion - half the reason selling luxuries is so powerful is because of the ease of acquiring more luxuries, even in the fourth and fifth rings.

This makes much more sense to me, in that it combats part of the benefits inflation (whereas luxury prices have always remained constant). And speaking of inflation... when did buying tiles become so cheap? All of a sudden I could buy them for 10g!

With regard to reducing the AI gold hoard, your update about just lowering the AI gold bonuses makes a lot of sense to me. It shouldn't hurt the AI except in occasional cases, but will make the game harder for the player because there is less gold to bilk the AI out of, be it in trade or in peace treaties or multiple-city sales.

Ok, I see your point, but right now Opportunities feel like stealing because they're so powerful (and I understand that they will be rebalanced in future updates, so no worries!)

Ditto. Rebalancing will go a long way to making the game more competitive. Opportunities presently really throw the game out of whack.

Since Thal doesn't agree with the concept of negative benefits from opportunities/disasters, I would like the utilization of opps to be necessary by reducing sci/prod/cult (or increasing costs), to compensate.

I presume that all civs are given equal opportunities on some basis. Is it by civ, by land area, # of cities, or what??

--
The concept of wanting to be able to win the game when it still has 1/3 of its turns available is a bunch of bleep! It should be a challenge to win at 1/6, with SOME potential for a game to be won on points alone.

As a large-continents+/epic (and quite rarely by conquest) player, I find the game being won by someone around turn 500-550 to be meh.

I'm confused - are these undocumented v131.1 beta changes or are these future plans?
Past:
I have done a few things to shift this around: Honor give more happiness, while Tradition gives more food to consume happiness. I also eliminated the vanilla Tradition policy which gave happiness directly from population.​
Plans:
I've been planning to redesign the later policy trees, so I will look for ways to expend more mid/late tall empire happiness there.
It should be easy to set up basic infrastructure in new cities late in the game, and more difficult to make them well developed cities.
That does make sense, and I'm okay with either approach. :)

However, it's important to realize this will penalize players for saving gold. Think of citystate influence: spending 500:c5gold: on a CS gives us more :c5influence: per :c5gold: than spending 250:c5gold:. Saving gold is detrimental if both are equally efficient, because the time waited to reach 500 is time without the bonuses from 250. The same principle applies to high/low tier buildings like university/library.

Citystate selection is totally random. I've seen a map generate with 100% militaristic citystates. Placement is also random. I think we can control this stuff... but it's buried in files like AssignStartingPlots with 10000 lines of code. I've wanted to improve upon it, but since it would require so much work to find and change, it's been a low priority.

The process could be:

1. If gold is over a threshold (such as 1000).
  2. Randomly pick a high preference, such as "mobile."
  3. Pick the highest-flavor mobile unit buildable in the capital.
  4. Deduct the purchase cost of that unit, and place it in the capital.

This seems like a good starting point to refine with with more complex decision-making later.
Now if you intend to open the AI gold spigot slowly, I'm all in favor of it - the game will become more competitive. But that wasn't clear in your post, and obviously the AI spending tens of thousands of gold would turn the game on its head.
Each time it passes the threshold it would buy something. Most things cost maintenance, so it would earn less income than it would otherwise:

Example A

• Earning 100g/turn.
  • After 50 turns:
    Earned 5000g.
Example B

• Earning 100g/turn.
  • Each time we pass 1000g we buy a rifleman.
  • After 50 turns:
    Earned 4146g.
    Currently has 842g in treasury.
    Bought 4 riflemen.
This is a simple example, but illustrates how the AI earned 18% less in the 50-turn timeframe than it would have otherwise. It also now has 4 riflemen to defend against attacks. This makes wars harder and eliminates 10000g peace treaties.

This makes much more sense to me, in that it combats part of the benefits inflation (whereas luxury prices have always remained constant). And speaking of inflation... when did buying tiles become so cheap? All of a sudden I could buy them for 10g!

Luxuries used to be priced at 400g in trade. I dropped it to the current 240g value about a year ago. On the second point from the website:
v130: February 11, 2012
Early tiles cost less to purchase, and later tiles cost more.​
The old formula was 30+4x and the new one is 10+10x. This makes prices rise substantially after a few tiles.

Ditto. Rebalancing will go a long way to making the game more competitive. Opportunities presently really throw the game out of whack.
It may feel this way, but for 50-75 turns after investing in an opportunity we're weaker than we would be otherwise (depending on modifiers in the nearby city). On top of that, consider how early turns are exponentially more important in Civ than late turns. There's very little net effect on the game when we choose an investment option. The free options don't have much impact either, since they're 1-2:c5gold: on 1 tile every 20-50 turns.

It's part of my philosophy of making everything feel overpowered while actually being balanced. This is why positive over-turn bonuses are the best approach. The benefits are all up front, and the downsides hidden out of sight in complex formulas. It gives these effects a bigger psychological impact than what's really provided. :)

It's part of my philosophy of making everything feel overpowered while actually being balanced. This is why positive over-turn bonuses are the best approach. The benefits are all up front, and the downsides hidden out of sight in complex formulas. It gives these effects a bigger psychological impact than what's mathematically provided. :)

ACK!! Don't you see? If it FEELS overpowered, then it IS, and is not balanced! 'Overpowered' and 'balanced' are subjective terms, while math is objective and ... and ... has the value of null. :)

Apologies for the silly mood, but I am at least halfway serious. If a substantial majority feel it's OP, then it IS; though you are the MOD and have control ... and I for one, may mod your mod to suit.

Something else add is opportunities can't make the game easier, since all players get 1 opportunity every 25 turns (depending on era). They only can change the pace of the game. There's only a few rates to consider in Civ, and each has 1 variable ideally suited to adjust it:

• Techs vs Construction
    Controller: tech cost formula
    We should unlock new stuff at around the same pace as we use stuff.
  • Policies
    Controller: policy cost formula
    Culture victories to be possible around the Industrial era.
  • Conquest
    Controller: citizens killed upon city capture (more is faster)
    Around the Industrial era.
Since investing in opportunities costs gold, those investments generally shift tech-vs-construction balance slightly in favor of techs (less gold means we can construct less). The simplest way to counteract this is to raise tech costs by 1-2%, which I did recently. :)

Each time it passes the (1000g) threshold it would buy something. Most things cost maintenance, so it would earn less income than it would otherwise.

Not every AI will have that sort of gold available, but some will have more. What you don't mention is that AI gold generally starts to snowball after t100 and has already hit the peaks we've discussed by t250 or earlier. To have an AI spend an additional 20,000g+ in 150 turns is going to have a major, undetermined effect on the game. Why could that effect be negative? Being shut out of CS alliances (and Diplomatic victories) and huge AI militaries forcing wars on otherwise peaceful games come to mind. We don't know, but we're going to find out.

Early tiles cost less to purchase, and later tiles cost more. The old formula was 30+4x and the new one is 10+5x. This makes prices rise substantially in the late game.

But nobody buys tiles in the late game. You've basically given every civ America's UA when it counts: in early expansion. This is a clear example of adding something we didn't have before, that makes the game easier now.

It may feel this way, but for 50-75 turns after investing in an opportunity we're weaker than we would be otherwise (depending on modifiers in the nearby city). On top of that, consider how early turns are exponentially more important in Civ than late turns. There's very little net effect on the game when we choose an investment option. The free options don't have much impact either, since they're 1-2:c5gold: on 1 tile every 20-50 turns.

It's part of my philosophy of making everything feel overpowered while actually being balanced. This is why positive over-turn bonuses are the best approach. The benefits are all up front, and the downsides hidden out of sight in complex formulas. It gives these effects a bigger psychological impact than what's really provided.

Something else to add is opportunities can't make the game easier, since all players get 1 opportunity every 25 turns (depending on era). They only can change the pace of the game. Since investing in opportunities costs gold, those investments generally shift tech-vs-construction balance slightly in favor of techs (less gold means we can construct less). The simplest way to counteract this is to raise tech costs by 1-2%, which I did recently. :)

It doesn't just "feel" this way if I can buy a temple equivalent, etc, for 150g. Isn't that's the rate at which Opportunities presently delivers? Cheaper improvement equivalents make for an easier game and faster victories. (Slowing science down elsewhere to compensate doesn't change this.)

I also don't see how "the benefits are all up front, and the downsides hidden out of sight in complex formulas" applies to 3 Xpt for 150g, which is how Opportunities seem to work.

If a substantial majority feel it's OP, then it IS.

I would tone this down slightly and say that if a (quite rare!) substantial majority feel it's OP, then it's worth pausing to consider why they don't see the same underlying reality that you do.

I think you got too focused on my initial test. :) The proposal detailed later in post #25 is much more thorough, the situations you're concerned about would not have significant occurrence:

• "Huge AI militaries forcing wars on otherwise peaceful games."
    Peaceful leaders have low militaristic values in the Leader_Flavors table and would not build large militaries.
  • "Being shut out of CS alliances (and Diplomatic victories)"
    Leaders with a low diplomatic flavor do not spend money on citystates. Leaders with a high diplomatic flavor would spread their cash around all possible flavors, so there would not be a significant increase in that one specific area.
  • "To have an AI spend an additional 20,000g+ in 150 turns"
    This would not happen because the AI would only earn 50%-80% as much gold due to maintenance drain, as described in post #31.
  • "It doesn't just "feel" this way if I can buy a temple equivalent, etc, for 150g."
    This is inaccurate because we can choose where to buy temples.
I also don't see how "the benefits are all up front, and the downsides hidden out of sight in complex formulas" applies to 3 Xpt for 150g, which is how Opportunities seem to work.
I'll explain in more detail. The benefits are clearly visible, while the downsides are hidden behind the scenes in complex economic and accounting formulas, all of which restrain opportunities.

Benefits

• +3:c5science: per turn.
Downsides

None of these downsides are specifically stated on the opportunity popup window, which is why they feel so fun and powerful. We only see a gold cost for a per-turn bonus. :)

... all players get 1 opportunity every 25 turns (depending on era).

If this is set, then I would recommend making it +/- 3..5 turns so it is not predictable. Also, I presume you have it scaling with game speed.

Since Thal doesn't agree with the concept of negative benefits from opportunities/disasters, I would like the utilization of opps to be necessary by reducing sci/prod/cult (or increasing costs), to compensate.

Agreed.

I presume that all civs are given equal opportunities on some basis. Is it by civ, by land area, # of cities, or what??
From the Terrain page on the VEM website:
  • Players with very good terrain (plains, grassland, and floodplains) now have a somewhat shorter spacing between capitals, while players with poor terrain (desert, tundra, marsh) have more room to expand. This existed somewhat in vanilla, but the accuracy of the terrain ratings are improved, which adds more variety in spacing.
  • Strategic resource placement in each Civ’s surrounding area (including nearby City States) is significantly normalized and strategic resources are disbursed in smaller deposits. (Each Civ will have access to about 5 Iron, 4 Horse, etc.)
The concept of wanting to be able to win the game when it still has 1/3 of its turns available is a bunch of bleep! It should be a challenge to win at 1/6, with SOME potential for a game to be won on points alone.

As a large-continents+/epic (and quite rarely by conquest) player, I find the game being won by someone around turn 500-550 to be meh.
Not sure what you mean here: you don't like it when people try to win as fast as possible, or that you think the average game should last more turns? The former is natural for many players and unlikely to change, and of course I agree with the latter.

Past:
I have done a few things to shift this around: Honor give more happiness, while Tradition gives more food to consume happiness. I also eliminated the vanilla Tradition policy which gave happiness directly from population.​
But, but .. vanilla Honor gives more happiness (1 per defensive building vs 1 on Colloseums), vanilla Tradition gives more food (it's finisher is +25%:c5food: on *base* food is more powerful than +2 on defensive buildings and a % on surplus food) and while you did eliminate the +1:c5happy: per 10 pop, it's been replaced with the generally more powerful Wonder happiness policy (even just getting National Wonders and forgoing WWs).

PS - Just saw notes for 131.6 beta - the change to Legalism should help a great deal.
That does make sense, and I'm okay with either approach. :)

However, it's important to realize this will penalize players for saving gold. Think of citystate influence: spending 500:c5gold: on a CS gives us more :c5influence: per :c5gold: than spending 250:c5gold:. Saving gold is detrimental if both are equally efficient, because the time waited to reach 500 is time without the bonuses from 250. The same principle applies to high/low tier buildings like university/library.
Either is OK with me, too: It is a low priority on my list in the OP, I think the other changes are more important.

Each time it passes the threshold it would buy something. Most things cost maintenance, so it would earn less income than it would otherwise:

Example A

• Earning 100g/turn.
  • After 50 turns:
    Earned 5000g.
Example B

• Earning 100g/turn.
  • Each time we pass 1000g we buy a rifleman.
  • After 50 turns:
    Earned 4146g.
    Currently has 842g in treasury.
    Bought 4 riflemen.
This is a simple example, but illustrates how the AI earned 18% less in the 50-turn timeframe than it would have otherwise. It also now has 4 riflemen to defend against attacks. This makes wars harder and eliminates 10000g peace treaties.
I think this, when implemented, will be a fantastic change and have fewer reservations about it than Txurce.

On the second point from the website:
v130: February 11, 2012
Early tiles cost less to purchase, and later tiles cost more.​
The old formula was 30+4x and the new one is 10+10x. This makes prices rise substantially after a few tiles.
I do agree with Txurce here, and as I mentioned in my last post I think this should be toned down (to maybe 25+10x) *and* slow cultural expansion by a significant amount for reasons outlined above and in the OP. This is an extreme example, but in my last Stonehenge game I had every tile possible (out to the fifth ring) by turn 100 (perhaps Stonehenge should have a negative cultural border expansion modifier on it).

I have done a few things to shift this around: Honor give more happiness, while Tradition gives more food to consume happiness.
But, but .. vanilla Honor gives more happiness
I did the changes, then vanilla patterned off vem (well... tbc). :)

I'm applying your suggestions to make gold costs match income more closely, like we did with research agreements and domestic trade. How about the column labeled "New"?

Attachments

• Tile Costs.PNG
    Tile Costs.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 528
Based on feedback in this thread I've increased tech and policy costs 20% in v131.7 beta. Saving money for expensive buildings/units also gives less of an advantage than before (0.9 exponent, was 0.8). Archaeology was moved one column to the right.

Top Bottom