TSG31 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG31 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 31
Date submitted: 2012-03-01
Reference number: 25829
Your name: numaru7
Your email: -
Game status: Incomplete Retired
Game date: 1500AD
Turns played: 210
Base score: 544
Final score: 544
Time played: NA
Submitted save: TSG31_Turn210_Loss.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C503101.Civ5Save

Until Turn 169:
"it's a complete massacre - mainly because of me. I got off to a start where i got 2 free warriors from camps - had 2 more warriors and 2 archers because i wanted to take out ghandi early. Well early attack failed - lost 1 warrior and i retreated - 5 turns later i go back with swords(had the 2-nd city made to the west of ghandi and i had a 6 iron there) - i also take out his 2-nd city.
I immediately go to take out Paris - which i do.. raze 1 city, left him 2 and ofc i took Paris.
Suleiman decides he can take me on and declares war - take 1 city, get one for free for peace and raze that. 10 turns later i declare again and take his capital and another one which i raze - Suleiman is left with 1 city.
From there i go West to take out rome just because he pissed me off by expanding down the coast, just west of my starting position. By now i still had 4 crossbowmans and 2 LSM's left so i took Rome. A Cs i allied took another city and i sued for peace because Alexander was massing a considerable army to my west. While i took care of that Russia backstabbed me at suleimans and french capital - no def there so he took Paris and a Turkish city - Marched my formerly mentioned army east and retook one - he has Cannons ..Oh oh... i just remembered i never made a RA the whole game... that may have been a mistake )
By now i start research on gunpowder - i don't have any universities, and my cities are size 5-9 ..pathetic.. on the good side.. i now have some happiness.

During these attacks i just made landsknechts and def from alex... who sued for peace giving me nothing.

Now i start to think maybe it was wrong to start with honor.... maybe liberty would have been better - and i should have colonized the whole western-SW area with 4 cities.

Turn 169 Now - saved and stopped because i got sick of so much war ) "

in the last 50 turns i lost more and more momentum until Russia came with cossacks and infantry... and then i threw the towel. I don't even need to mention i lost all the wonders except GL, which i build around turn 80(?!..weird right?)

Date submitted: 2012-03-01
Reference number: 25834
Your name: ladia74
Game status: Science Wrong VC
Game date: 1842AD
Turns played: 291
Base score: 733
Final score: 1263
Time played: 3:00:00
Submitted save: GOTM31_0291 AD-1842.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ladia74_C503101.Civ5Save

my friend numaru7 who posted above already knows I don't like war (especially on higher levels) so I choose to ignore the preffered victory condition and play peacefully :)
Of course it will not count for the top but I had fun.
Built 4 cities, GL, NC, Hagia, ND, PT, universities, public schools, liberty + rationalism, bulbed like 8 GS, signed some RAs and sent the spaceship turn 291.
Caesar and Sulleiman DOWed me but I deffended with archers, then crossbos and in the end with rocket artillery.
I had an excellent friendly relationship with Catherine which conquered most of the others.
A tipical game for me, I was the last in each aspect of demographics including score but won :)

my friend numaru7 who posted above already knows I don't like war (especially on higher levels) so I choose to ignore the preffered victory condition and play peacefully :)
<snip>
A tipical game for me, I was the last in each aspect of demographics including score but won :)
Perfectly acceptable as we do not require the submission to be the designated VC.

Congrats and glad you enjoyed it. :)

I don't even need to mention i lost all the wonders except GL, which i build around turn 80(?!..weird right?)

Turn 80!?! Awww come on, I lost it by 1 turn around turn 40! Darn you Randomness! Darn you to heck!

A video is coming up.

I played tightly at the end to shave maximum of turns. I almost failed against Suleiman but insta heals saved my ass again. For some reason, Cathy was under -9 of unhappiness and suffered of 33% of power reduction when i entered his territory. Greece and England were a piece of cake i had my best army around them.

Build order : units

In fact it's a ''no writing'' game :)

Date submitted: 2012-03-04
Reference number: 25850
Your name: Monthar
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1806AD
Turns played: 273
Base score: 2639
Final score: 4887
Time played: 13:08:00
Submitted save: TSG31_Domination_Win_T273.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C503101.Civ5Save

It was a slow win, but a mighty fine score.

I made the mistake to not secure the iron near my second city soon enough. The barbs were not a problem and I easily fought off Suleiman, but then Alexander invaded me with a huge force and played it unusually well - he wouldn't let me get his catapult, so I eventually lost my second city. This left me with two great cities but without any iron, so I quit.

But I must say, this was a fun Immortal game. Plenty resources around to get a good start. It was my incompetence that handed me this deserved loss.

Thanks for posting the videos. I hope to learn the swordsman rush from them.

A suggestion for your videos. If you have auto-cycle turned on, please turn it off. That way if you use a keystroke for an action, evidence of the action will show on the screen before you manually cycle to the next unit.

It is very hard to follow movement if you use right click to initiate it. Using M makes it a lot easier.

Thanks, again.

Balibar

Thanks for posting the videos. I hope to learn the swordsman rush from them.

A suggestion for your videos. If you have auto-cycle turned on, please turn it off. That way if you use a keystroke for an action, evidence of the action will show on the screen before you manually cycle to the next unit.

It is very hard to follow movement if you use right click to initiate it. Using M makes it a lot easier.

Thanks, again.

Balibar

Thanks.

Rewind a bit and rapidly press pause and play button for details. I might try no cycle but i don't see the point because it's pretty easy to follow units i think. No keystroke for sure because i'm way too much used with a mouse it will slow down my playtime game even more.

Date submitted: 2012-03-05
Reference number: 25858
Your name: Dan4GS
Game date: 1848AD
Turns played: 294
Base score: 2686
Final score: 4631
Time played: 11:24:00
Submitted save: GOTM.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Dan4GS_C503101.Civ5Save

Took me forever, but I never bothered to put it on quick combat either. India was taken out early, Rome not much later (~turn 100). France held me up with equal tech (they had conquered Ottomans) and the great wall. Got to dynamite then went back and slogged my way through them painstakingly. Hit Cathy next, who had a bigger military and was equal in tech as well, and that was slow and painful. Finally took Moscow and got peace. Went through the lake to take Athens, which was weakly defended, with 4 panzers and two artillery and sent the rest to London, which fell a couple turns after Athens.

Very fun game; I've never had a domination win on anything beyond Prince I think, so it was new and tough (although I've beaten Immortal previously). Wasn't anything quick, or pretty for that matter, but at least I won.

Date submitted: 2012-03-05
Reference number: 25860
Your name: Thresian
Game date: 1864AD
Turns played: 302
Base score: 2343
Final score: 3905
Time played: 19:26:00
Submitted save: Bismarck_0302 AD-1864.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Thresian_C503101.Civ5Save

As usual, I ended up with far too much tech - I took nuclear fusion as well as a bunch of other useless techs. I had quite a few GDRs at the end - I built a couple and got two from CSs. They're still not very useful - they just don't have enough movement points. Wonders were GL, HS, ND, PT and the Eiffel Tower. Policies were all of Liberty, the Patronage opener, all of Rationalism except for Sovereignty, the Order opener and United Front. Delhi was the only capital I captured before Stealth, after which they fell pretty quickly in the order London, Rome, Athens, Istanbul, Paris, Moscow.

Generally, I think I suffered from a lack of a coherent strategy in this game - I was just vaguely aiming to conquer stuff and keep my tech up. Also my diplomacy was shockingly bad: everyone hated me, despite my not declaring at all until the very end. I'm not quite sure why.

I'll probably replay the board to see if I can win pre-modern - generally I'm pretty bad at early warfare and I need to improve.

Good job Dave!

I knew you could beat me. We got through similar paths(title could be the same : instant heals powa!) and you took very different decisions at the same time. OMG at the super early longswordman! This is huge. Hell, i would have loved getting this too! Romans didn't expand much...

Great move at letting Delhi for the end. I should do the same next time. Great move at getting a little more iron for a huger army of swordman. Good job at not building a single ranged unit(thanks to your huge stack of iron and the superman dude).

I got a better start i think but you made a much more efficient route going for all these caps.

I didn't watch the whole thing but i saw everything i wanted.

Kudos again! :goodjob:

Date submitted: 2012-03-06
Reference number: 25866
Your name: Mazer Rackham
Game date: 700AD
Turns played: 145
Base score: 919
Final score: 3168

Congrats to Dave and Tabarnak. Man, those are great times! :goodjob:

My biggest challenge to getting a lower time was the western terrain. I'm still happy with the game, though. We can't all be as good as Dave. :)

Great game too Mazer! Nice write up.

Yep, Dave has a certain something that let him do always a bit better :)

There is some steps you want to achieve to not let the AI grow too large or get some military techs that can seriously down yourself through conquest. Especially at immortal and deity.

Link to video.

The Battle of Athens was so intense that I didn't notice my recording program shut off. So the last 6 turns are recorded from an autosave and don't quite match my original game.

I couldn't get the video to play past the first 53 minutes. Every time I tried to select a point later in the video it always jumped back to 53 minutes. I was buffered to a point well past the 53 minute mark.

turn 300

I surrendered...

Russia was runaway--had actual nukes while I started building panzers, completed apollo 20 turns ago, and ROme just recaptured their capital and finished apollo. :sigh: ah well I shall read with interesdt the winning strategies.

I had tried invading Cathy for the last ditch effort and was completely repulsed.

Hey DaveMcW that's insane... I'm an hour and 38 minutes in to your video and gotta stop for now. Do you ever stop building warriors?!? Haha wow...learning quite a bit from you, and I even won this one (though 294 turns).

It's like you invented the game or something...

Top Bottom