News: TSG32 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 32
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the thirty-second game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomatic. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Diplomatic victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Suleiman and lead the Ottoman civilization to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until April 1st to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have out Mac players back with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG32 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Suleiman - Ottoman
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Random Personalities and Promotion Saving are enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 version 1.0.1.511

In this game, you will be playing as Suleiman, you possess Barbary Corsairs. You have a 50% chance of converting a Barbarian naval unit to your side and earning 25 Gold. You pay only one-third the usual cost for naval unit maintenance.

You can train the Janissary, which replaces the Musketman. The Janissary receives a significant combat bonus when on the attack. In addition, it automatically heals all damage when it destroys a non-Barbarian unit giving the Janissary an advantage against a defending enemy force. You must discover the technology of Gunpowder and you do not need a resource to build it.

You can also train the Sipahi, which replaces the Lancer. The Sipahi is much faster and can see one hex farther than the Lancer, although it shares the Lancer's weakness on defense. The Sipahi can pillage enemy improvements at no additional cost. You must discover the technology of Metallurgy and you need the Horse resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for four weeks and ends Sunday, 15 April 2012.

The Save can be found here.

interesting...I will move the warrior North-West but if nothing special then I will settle near the mountain for observatory, also keeping marble and 2 pearls.
Policies -> Liberty + Rationalism and Patronage
Techs: scientific ones and also astronomy (assuming the map is possibly archipelago but also for the observatory) + market/bank/national treasury.
Important: I should not forget to send early ships to scout and meet the others :)

Looks like archipeglio. Bet Dave can not win in 120, probably take him 130 :)
I woke up this morning happy because it is time for a new GOTM.

Woohooo!

I loove me some Ottomans! Hope I'll do better this time. One of the best UA in the game. Especially on watery maps, as this one seems to be.

Looks like a fun one. guess I better hurry up and finish TSG30 and TSG31. Can't believe I'm so far behind!

Interesting. Might settle 1E on the hill next to river/mountain...we'll see what the warrior discovers. Never played as Ottomans, so should be fun.

I think settling 1E is best. This gains access to the river (for a watermill), puts me next to the mountain (for an observatory), and keeps all the special resources that I can currently see. It is also a hill tile, so the capital will benefit from an extra hammer from the beginning.

Done with finals! Had to skip TSG31 though to code all week. :-/ Civilization here I come! Actually so excited to have time again that I'm reading and posting this from the bus on my way home, ha!

Thinking of doing this differently this time. I'm a player who needs clearly defined boundaries in terms of what's allowed or not, as can be seen by my peeking ahead in TSG30. I don't mind rules, but I also like playing competitively (even if I don't win). There are also several exploits regarding trades with the AI that currently fall within a gray area. (cancelled forts on resources anyone?) While all of this is technically allowed, it just doesn't sit right. I'd like to play the best that I can, while remaining fully legitimate about it. As such, I will be following these two rules from now until the end of the GOTM practice series:

•No viewing of the game in progress or after-action threads until I've reached turn 100
•All trades with the AI must be for their GPT, and not immediate gold amounts. This includes demands, peace offerings, open border agreements, declaration of war bribes, and all other trades and agreements, even if the AI proposes them. I know this is hardcore, but it's the only way to ensure fair play. ;) I reserve the right to redact this imposition on myself if Firaxis ever adds diplomacy penalties for breaking agreements in a patch or expansion.

Anybody else game to try that? :p

interesting...I will move the warrior North-West but if nothing special then I will settle near the mountain

Agreed. I feel that west, then northwest might be better for the warrior though, since more tiles will be revealed, and the path will cross back northwest of the hill on the next turn anyway, which is where you'd want to end up moving if you stopped on it. Incredibly minor detail, but even the best players could be a lot more efficient with their moves like this. ;)

I woke up this morning happy because it is time for a new GOTM.

Me too! lol

One of the best UA in the game

Really!? I've always considered it dead last. :-/ Guess it could be quite powerful if you farmed the camps for triremes though instead of clearing them.

I think settling 1E is best.

Have to agree with this. The more I look at that spot, the more powerful it seems. Got fish in the inner ring for immediate growth, desert locality (for solar farm in late game, which jives with the UN tech path), and ocean access in addition to everything you've mentioned.

@nthexwin - I agree it seems a poor UA - the reduced naval maintenance is nice, but hardly game changing. UUs are strong though, although the Sipahi is a bit wasted in SP, and especially on a naval map.

I wouldn't look at the after action thread until the game was over if I were you. You might find out where the aluminium is or something like that.

The problem with only doing gpt trades is that the AI always gives a poor deal. Logically, if it's willing to pay 240 gold up front, it ought to be willing to pay more than 8 gpt, but in fact it will only pay 7. Also, even though it's hard to lay down rules which everybody can agree for which trades are exploits, I feel pretty happy that I know myself which trades I think are exploits.

@pontias: yes 'redact' is incorrect here. 'Rescind' or 'revoke' is probably intended.

settling next to mountain and standard gl/nc, with sailing/optics as fast as possible, keep growing in capital to use a ge for un.

Top Bottom