TSG32 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG32 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- How did the map affect your initial decisions?
- Any early wars and who started them?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?

When you've completed your game, please post your victory, or defeat, in the TSG32 After Action thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Hi everyone! Here is my game's progression. There is no vids for this one. I keep bandwith for my next FFA EPIC GAME that should be finished in a couple of days.

Let's start this(up to turn 70) :

I took 1 turn and settled my capital close to the mountain. This let me the chance to build the watermill. Later, i can also build Macchu Pichu and an observatory. Tehre is something you can build at 2 tiles from a mountain but i don't remember which one.

Spoiler :

I explored a bit with my initial warrior and found Askia and a ruin...just in time before him.

Spoiler :

Some turns later, the warrior found the Gao, the capital of Songhai.

Spoiler :

Oh, i guess i'm lucky to hit another ruin!

Spoiler :

And i got...free culture!

Spoiler :

Barbs are showing up near capital, i decided to build a 2nd warrior after an initial monument.

Spoiler :

I picked a free settler from Liberty...and guess what? Yes, a 3rd ruin!

Spoiler :

That ruin gave me...50 :c5gold:. Not bad.

Spoiler :

When i came back with my warrior from the north east peninsula, a barb camp spawned ...:sad:

Spoiler :

But yay! The barb attacked me and i could counter attack immediately and free the world from a bad bad barb camp :)

Spoiler :

Edirne is born, right on top of a silver mine.

Spoiler :

I have sold this silver to Askia.

Spoiler :

With the help of Edirne, i could share a sheep tile with my capital, optimizing production.

Spoiler :

I bought a worker when i reached 310 :c5gold:. Capital built another one and now is starting a settler.

Spoiler :

My 2 warriors teamed up the barb camp. I say no to terrorism! :D

Spoiler :

Ankara, my 3rd city, is settled on the gold tile north west of my land.

Spoiler :

Suddenly...Askia attacked me! :eek: I got back my silver luxury.

Spoiler :

From this point, i forgot to take some pictures :sad:. I finished the Great Library and picked Philosophy for free. I built a lighthouse in my capital and now i'm starting the National College. I built an archer and a trireme from Edirne and began to explore the world.

Spoiler :

I found Hiawatha and sold him my unique silver. But that's because i will settle a 4th city after National College will be over. The 4th city will be placed north of Edirne on another silver mine :). I will have 2 extra silver to sell to my other friends(besides Askia the traitor!). I allied with the cultural city state south of me and still defending against Askia. There is no iron close so i will probably turtle the war and wait for a peace deal. My exploration path is not much profitable, i only found Hiawatha so far and i'm already at turn 70. I think i will start another trireme from Ankara after his lighthouse to explore west of land. I will also get currency ASAP and build Macchu Pichu for extra :c5gold:

Spoiler :

I had a horrible start :(. Lost all the ruins to Asika, lost great lighthouse and colossus by a few turns, and failed to get a conversion with my first 5 trireme encounters. This will not be pretty.
Also... Ottoman UA - not so OP without Raging Barbarians

My game looks remarkably similar to Tabarnak's so far. Settled 1 hex east, second city on the silver, third city on the gold, fourth city (after NC) by the 2 silvers to the north. Early war with Askia, discovered no iron, turtled until he paid me for peace. Found Hiawatha fairly soon, took ages before I found the other civs. About the only difference is that I built the Colossus instead of the GL (in retrospect I should probably have tried for both, as GL went very late), and I stupidly forgot to buy a worker.

Also: I don't understand how the UA works. I have a chance of converting barbarian ships to my side ... when?

Update turn 137

Askia finally made peace some turns later with a nice deal.

Spoiler :

Finally found someone else.

Spoiler :

Bursa is born. A trireme is going west to explore more. An archer found an upgrade ruin :)

Spoiler :

Hi Russia! UA in action :D

Spoiler :

Situation at turn 87. A golden age is coming. I will finish some markets in the middle of the golden age, trying to get extra :c5gold: for future RAs.

Spoiler :

Time to start RAs. I loan :c5gold: from Ghandi and get our first RA with Wu.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Situation turn 92. I build a watermill in time for Hagia Sophia in 5 turns. I also start the Oracle in Edirne and will hope for a rationalism opening in time for my first wave of RAs. I keep the great engineer from the Liberty finisher for the Porcelaine Tower. I did not build Macchu Pichu i changed my mind for a single market.

Spoiler :

Waiting for Hagia Sophia and Oracle. En route for Education. I'm a bit late with these wonders and with no horses and iron it's hard to get extra money and . Also, only 2 civs were friendly through the game so far.

Spoiler :

Some turns have passed and i used the ge for Notre-Dame. I want to use this wonder to help growing my capital. Edirne halted the production of Oracle to synchronize with the rationalism opener.

Spoiler :

Turn 113 gonna be a big turn! PT, Oracle and Astro available on the same turn.

Spoiler :

The first RAs are going to mature a bit later. From my tech tree, i can get a late medieval tech beeline for my 1st RAs((construction+chivalry+navigation)/3). Then Acoustics and Banking will be the other medians which are stronger. I can clear the entire medieval era in some turns only.

Spoiler :

Turn 124. Policies situation.

Spoiler :

Turn 137. Tweaked loans and luxuries for more RAs. Going to start Ironworks in capital soon. From a long term view, i want to grow my capital high enough and keep only 1 ge for the UN. If i'm lucky, i will finish the rest of the UN in some turns only. No war since Askia's aggression.

Spoiler :

I'm quite pleased with how my tech timing has worked out in this game.
Spoiler :
My last RA completed on turn 242, I cleared all the industrial techs on turn 245, Oxford came on turn 246 and my 5th GS and Scientific Revolution both came on turn 247, allowing me to bulb Globalisation.

Settled on the Marble, 2nd city on the tip of that peninsula 1n and due e of capitol, near silver.

Askia declared, wiped out his forces , took his offer of peace +100g + some gpt.

some building later, he attacked again, this time I took Gao (puppet) before accepting his peace.

Found about 8 ruins. nice.

SPs by turn 250 Liberty 6/6, Patronage 4/6, Commerce 1/6
Made about 6 RA's; half of them with China
Have 4 allies , 4 friends ; Arabia looks like the primary AI competitor for CS love, he has about the same.

Wonders Pyramid, Great Library, Louvre (with which I stole some more of Askia's land :take that: )

sweet 3rd city about turn 200
[spoilered for those who haven't yet explored at least half the map ]

Spoiler :
South of (iirc) Monaco on the arctic island. Has 6 x Fe , whales , dyes, marble , fish, oil and a convenient camp for free navy farming. chopped 2 of the forests for buildings.

This is quite a tricky little challenge. I was indecisive from the start, moving E to the river hills, then back onto the marble (settling on turn 3) after revealing the orphan gold+sheep tiles on the peninsula and not seeing anything of great value across the river. Meeting Askia on turn 6 suggested that land might be at a premium and I grabbed a second-city spot (on river beyond the coastal wheat) with the Liberty settler as soon as possible. Askia DOW soon after but I kept him at bay while running through GL/HS builds and accumulating a barbarian-based navy (I was incredibly lucky here and gained the Ottoman 10-conversion achievement for my collection). Strategic resources were an issue but I gained horses from a third city founded on the large island to W. I also settled a fourth city on the silver island to N. City growth was slow and only by turn 125 had I researched Education to rush the PT and ND. I also met all the AI by this time. I made a 3-iron for 3-horse swap with China but needed more iron to upgrade my large navy and embarked settler 5 on a long (12-turn) journey to a distant but excellent site covering 6-iron, whales, marble and (IIRC) dyes. I was spending all my cash on RA and couldn't see a better, easily-defended iron site nearby. So, at turn 160 I am some way behind where I might have expected but am about to upgrade to Longswords, Trebs and Frigates and plan to gain control of the N hemisphere whislt hopefully maintaining good RA relationships with the wealthy Southern AI.

Update Turns 138-229

Turn 146. I slowly build janissaries. I need :c5gold: and :c5happy:

Spoiler :

Time to get revenge on Askia. I gently enter his territory. Some RAs cleared some techs. Scientific theory is close.

Spoiler :

Coal is revealed. Well, there is plenty of it! :c5gold: problem cleared!

Spoiler :

Gao is mine. But now the problem is that i dont have any spare happiness to grow my capital.

Spoiler :

I unlocked the high industrial median. I signed last RAs before i entered this era. Pretty useful for late RAs for a final massive jump.

Spoiler :

Turn 190. Capital still growing. I faced some ''hostilities'', making trades pretty poor sometimes.

Spoiler :

With Refrigeration and Telegraph i unlocked a better median.

Spoiler :

Turn 200. I have 9 techs left for Globalization.

Spoiler :

In 9 turns i will get a great engineer and a great scientist.

Spoiler :

But for this i have to stop Edirne's progression of a great scientist. I don't want to delay them.

Spoiler :

Also, in 1 turn i will unlock the Scientific method for 2 free techs, in 2 turns i finish Oxford and i will have 4 great scientists and 1 great engineer some turns later.

It means that i need 2 RAs in 10 turns to start the UN(have to wait 10 turns for a ge). But only one will come. So i have to manually clear Combustion. I will take 16 turns to clear it. Damned hostile civs...

Spoiler :

During this break at getting :c5gold: and tech combustion, the capital build every :c5production: buildings left.

Spoiler :

Turn 209. Great engineer and scientist are born. 7 turns left to Globalization.

Spoiler :

Turn 216. Great engineer used, there is only 4 turns left for the UN. Not bad! I almost got 3 turns left(6 hammers difference only!). I added 3 :c5production:, after taking this picture, with unemployed citizen but still not enough.

Spoiler :

Turn 220. The UN is built!

Spoiler :

And victory at turn 229. I tweaked a lot to get enough money at the end because i hdd to get 1000 :c5gold: for some CS because Arabia allied almost every of them.

Spoiler :

I selected 1E river tile as my first location and started with a scout.
I decided to go sailing first, but on turn 15, I discovered writing via the hut east of Askia.

I beelined up the top of the tech tree, settling city #2 near the 2x silver to the north island.
I also converted a barb their and started exploring, discovering Wu, Hiawatha.

Turn 38, I started the GL and used it for Compass when it competed.
Turn 65 and Askia has finally DoW. I have plenty of lux - 2x silver, 2x pearls and marble.
I might decide to take his capital, just because he's probably going to be a Pita all game.
City growth is a bit slow.

I did learn something interesting. Workboats make amazing scouts before you can get a caravel out.

You are crazy Tabarnack
:p I congratulate you on your victory

Well trying the D Minor in the HOF Forum
Ramesses II
Chieftain
Lakes
Small
Cultural

I think I did a pretty good job, I will try again and take pictures to post but I will tell this game

So my idea was to built 3 cities beside of my capital, at the same time, so they grew synchronized, so as early as I could get the settler (Tradition----> The Wonder policy----> Liberty---> Worker Policy----> Settler policy (FINALLY LOL))
I had two other settlers, one built one bought
And I settled 3 cities, 1 in a great place the other two in decent ones
And the first thing after they all finished monument was to build a wonder in each one of them, and so I did, to get the maximum from the Piety policy of the 33% culture in cities with wonders
That is for me, the best game I've played
I was going so fast in tech that I had lots of Wonders enlisted in my to build list
Well I will try better next time, cuz I won at 350 more or less.

Moderator Action: Please discuss HoF games in the HoF forum. This is GOTM and the players are playing a common save, so games other than that can confuse things.

Well I won't be submitting as I had a false start (Decided the mountain was NOT worth the lack of early Wonder production) but so far its been a fun ride.

Decided to settle on the Marble instead of 1E. Why? 15% Marble + 15% Aristocracy = Great Lighthouse and Colossus :D My goal was simple. Go one city, grab Lighthouse, Colossus, GE and NC. Then game RAs to get to both Navigation and Gunpowder together and quickly. That turned out to be turn 160. Anyways here is the writeup:

Turn 1
I settle on the Marble and send my Warrior after the ruins(since this is my second start :p) I set up a Worker to build in the Capital and I research Pottery.

Turn 4
Got lucky with an early culture ruin. Next turn I take tradition

Turn 10
Pottery finishes and I immediately switch to a Granary in the Capital. My scouting Warrior gets to the second ruin and it gives me Calendar, SCORE! The next ruin gives me an upgrade.

As soon as the Granary finishes which I've synced up to when Sailing finishes I start on the GL. With the granary I can now work 2 sheep/hill tiles and another hill taking the time to build the GL from 33 turns to 14 thanks to Aristocracy. It finishes before Bronze Working so I finish that Worker and immediately after build the Colossus, GL and NC without break. During this time Askia DoWs but just mulls around on his side of the island.

By now I've picked up Landed Elite so I can work more hills and I've grabbed Optics, Masonry, Philosophy and working on Trapping. I bought a Trireme to start making contact. In the mean time I prime Civil Service and Theology for the RAs. I use the GL on Iron Working and switch to scouting for a place nearby with Iron to snipe for when I get Caravels.

I meet Hiya and Al, making RAs with them. For a while its uneventful until about 10 turns before the RAs mature when I'm frantically trying to not screw this up.

Turn 108
I've managed to secure the median at 533 :c5science: and it stays here for the next 6 RAs (not counting PT and Rationalism modifiers) PT isn't available now so I only get 533/2= 266 :c5science: from the RA but thats enough to finish off Theology and Civil Service. I decide to use the overflow to get Metal Casting

Turn 115
Al's RA matures and I'm 4 turns off from finishing Education. With a 3rd RA coming up from Darius I plink one turn into Edu to secure the overflow and prime more techs while waiting for it so as not to upset my median.

Turn 123
I finish Education and start priming Compass and Steel. I've also set up two sets of RAs between Hiya/Gandhi and Al/Darius to finish on turn Turn 148 and 157 respectively.

I finally research Archery at this point as Askia has gotten uppity and decided to march on me. I manage to hold on by a hairs breadth, get an archer and finish tradition with Oligarchy, wiping out his warriors asap.

I also find my Iron, a little 6 iron deposit on a desert peninsula to the south. Hiya settled near but not too close to cause offense when I snatched it up.

Turn 148
In preparation I have the following techs left: Horseback Riding, Mathematics, Steel and Astrology. I take out Horseback since its a dead end and place the median firmly back on Steel(533 :c5science:) which I prime to 1 turn and then start working on Astrology. PT finishes 2 turns before they mature giving me Astrology, Mathematics and down into Physics.

I use the GS to pop navigation and start upgrading my fleet.

Turn 157
Queued up Physics, Steel and Gunpowder for the RAs. Physics and Steel finish and puts Gunpowder at 2 turns to finish. This serves me two ways. 1)I get my UU 2) It opens up two Renaissance techs to boost my Median for future RAs. I also grab Rationalism about 6 turns prior.

Now, what does the future hold? Well I'll be annihilating Askia for starters then Ill scout out my two possible targets for my free DoW: Arabia or India. Both are rich as hell. Probably Arabia though since Ghandi will have likely gone tall which would wreck me.

I've never seen such a weird demand for a research agreement... usually it's only the open borders +50/100/150/200/250 gold thingy (which might actually be due to me being one era ahead).

But this?

(I think this was around turn 160, doesn't really matter though.)

Luckily I was able to make a decent amount of RAs with the other AIs, also they don't really like me either too much.

One era ahead is usually +100 gold. The Open Borders means they value it at 0 and so they throw it in there to see if you'll say yes. Demanding all those lux means he is probably Hostile to you (he was to me for nearly all the game).

Yeah, usually when they are hostile they refuse to do a RA completely though.
He was also angry at me as soon as we met, despite us being probably as far apart as possible and me not having touched a single CS by that time. Harun was the only one in this gam,e, with who I didn't trade anything, not once.

Random personalities, huh? Can't figure out "who" he really was though... or are all of their values randomed instead of personality X just being applied to AI y with that option?

My start was met with utter failure, although truth be told I really can't stand archipelago maps (and a sea of deserts to boot). I got archery from my first ruin, so I decided to rush Askia as I met and then found his capital way too close, and much much nicer than my own.

I went in with 3 warriors and archers, with a boat coming along shortly after. Of little value tho as he had a "natural" hill barrier in addition to the choke point so even tho I beat back his initial army I couldn't push forward. With such a great city he pumped out some archers and slowly destroyed my forces.

I did manage to turn some barbs to my cause after my fruitless first attempt at bombardment, but cities make quick work of the early sea vessels.

Top Bottom