High Medieval Russia

Kyriakos

Creator
I suppose we have a number of people from Russia in these forums, so they might be able to help me with high medieval Russian buildings... I need two more to model, for the city and the metropolis :)

Here is what i have up to now:

Surprisingly good.

Few things, though. The roof on towers is of strange colour, if it represents clay tiles, then it's historically incorrect, since it just wasn't ever used, only wooden planks. So it should be dark grey, imo. The colour of walls and buildings is brown, so guess it's supposed to be wood, but you can't really tell, because the sturcture, the logs, aren't seen. And this way it looks more like some central European walls. So log structure should be made more visible, imo.

I'll try to give you some more idea how Russia looked back then. I'll start with the ancient times, if you don't mind. First, pre-medieval city should be entirely of wood. There should be no churches, until it reaches 6, and when it does, a small wooden one could be added. Now when it's 12 there can be some white limestone churches you drew, but overall stone building wasn't that spread until later times, cause Russia is basically one huge plain and rock or lime is scarce and is hard to transport through all the endless woodlands. And wood is everywhere, cheap and flexible.

Spoiler :

I'll post some moar.

Overall, pretty good work :thumbsup:

More wooden stuff:

Spoiler :

Later brick buildings became popular for the rich. This could be used in medieval set:
Spoiler :

IMG]

Nowadays it's just painted white, because nobody bothers to renovate them, but back then it used to be ornamented in a manner alike to this:
Spoiler :

Starting with 12 medieval should get limestoneand rock walls like this:
Spoiler :

Blue roof looks more like Disney castle :)

Perhaps it's a better way to illustarte how cities looked:

Spoiler :

Cool. Has a potential to be best ever.

I quite liked finding pictures, so I'll post some more just for teh lulz, or you may find it to be useful for further modelling.

Russian late medieval feature is definately red brick walls, which became dominant up to the end of 19th century.

Spoiler :

My favorite :)
Spoiler :

Yep, Lavra used to be the heart of Russian Orthodoxy. Interesting how so many styles from different epochs, particulary that baroque tower to the left, are there in a relative harmony.

I, however, prefer a slightly different branch of Russian sacral architechture.
Spoiler :

When I say I'll post more, I really mean it :smug:

Spoiler :

Cool.

Are you also planning on modelling units?

If so, this vid might be he helpful.

Link to video.

Also some pics.

Mediaval Infantry:
Spoiler :

Archers:
Spoiler :

Medieval Pikeman:
Spoiler :

Swordsman:
Spoiler :

Cavalry:
Spoiler :

Surprisingly good.

Few things, though. The roof on towers is of strange colour, if it represents clay tiles, then it's historically incorrect, since it just wasn't ever used, only wooden planks. So it should be dark grey, imo. The colour of walls and buildings is brown, so guess it's supposed to be wood, but you can't really tell, because the sturcture, the logs, aren't seen. And this way it looks more like some central European walls. So log structure should be made more visible, imo.

I'll try to give you some more idea how Russia looked back then. I'll start with the ancient times, if you don't mind. First, pre-medieval city should be entirely of wood. There should be no churches, until it reaches 6, and when it does, a small wooden one could be added. Now when it's 12 there can be some white limestone churches you drew, but overall stone building wasn't that spread until later times, cause Russia is basically one huge plain and rock or lime is scarce and is hard to transport through all the endless woodlands. And wood is everywhere, cheap and flexible.

Spoiler :

I'll post some moar.

Overall, pretty good work :thumbsup:

Those are very interesting. Are many of those historical recreations? Or were the kept intact all those years?

Some of them are guniune XVII century buildings, collected from all over Russia in Suzdalmuseum. But some are recreations and models. The earliest we still have are, iirc, of XVI century.

Basically, that style of wooden architecture has been in Russia since like forever. Many houses in villages still look like that.

Spoiler :

Excellent stuff Veles and Red Elk! It will be useful for my building research in a Mod for another great strategy game - Medieval 2: Total War - in creation of which I'm helping (this Mod features 14th century Europe and North Africa). :)

Top Bottom