News: TSG33 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 33
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the thirty-third game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Culture victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Augustus Caesar and lead the Roman civilization to victory. It's a small-sized mystery map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Culture victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until May 1st to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have out Mac players back with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG33 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Augustus Caesar - Romans
Number of AI Opponents: 5
Number of City-States: 12
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Small
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion Saving is enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 version 1.0.1.511

In this game, you will be playing as Augustus Caesar, you possess The Glory of Rome. You have +25% production towards any building that already exists in the capital.

You can train the Legion, which replaces the Swordsman. The Legion is more powerful than the Swordsman, making it the most powerful melee unit of the Classical era. The Legion can also construct roads and forts and is the only non-Worker unit able to do so. You must discover the technology of Iron Working and you need the Iron resource to build it.

You can also train the Ballista, which replaces the Catapult. The Ballista is an excellent siege weapon as it is more powerful than the Catapult and is extremely useful against cities. However, it is quite vulnerable to attack, must be set up before use and needs protection by other military units. You must discover the technology of Mathematics and you need the Iron resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for four weeks and ends Tuesday, 1 May 2012.

The Save can be found here.

i think i'll settle 1E of the sheep if by moving the warrior on the south hills i'll still find hills.

Will move the warrior 1 W and 1 SE. Think I'll settle in place. I believe these hills around the Oasis should be farmable due to the fresh water from it... that might be a good compromise between growth and production.

Hanging Gardens would definitely be good in this spot, but is it better than attempting a combo of Stonehenge, Great Library (bulb Theology after initial hard teching of Calendar and Philosophy) and Oracle? On Emperor the latter combo is possible, if you're not up against a civ like Egypt. With that combo you can beeline to Acoustics more quickly.

First, we move the warrior W and SE and see what's south of those hills. Unless I see something amazing, I'll move my settler NE and settle there. I lose 1 hammer, but I'll be able to build a Windmill which should shave a turn or two off of Utopia.

Also, I'm hoping there's more lux (perhaps Marble!) up north. There should at least be more riverside tiles.

Think I might just follow Dave's hanging gardens lead and go straight for war to get culture from a large number of puppets instead of my own cities (thus reducing policy costs). Hopefully this will, in turn, produce enough gold from city pillaging, trade routes, puppets, and peace deals to offset the RA costs with all the other pissed off civs. Still gonna follow my own "no trades for flat gold / GPT only" rule, so gold is gonna be a big deal.

Rome also seems built for early war. After the medieval era both unique units go away forever. The unique action also seems to work much better with a larger number of cities (puppets). Might as well get some wars on!

I'm thinking if I can find a second city spot with strong food, I could settle my GAs there and keep Rome production focused. Then I could build Stonehenge. The only problem is, if I beeline calendar then realise there's no suitable second city spot, I'll be too late to switch tack and build the HG, so I think if I haven't seen anything by the time I finish pottery, I'll switch to mathematics, which I think will still be in time for HG.

I took the hill to the se of the spices. Let's see how that works out.

To get the capital growing, it is probably best to settle 1 NE and capture more river titles, rather than picking one of the hills. Or even 2 NE, on the Ivory which you won't be working much otherwise anyway.

I am going to try this one, I like playing Rome a lot being a warmonger at heart. Just hope there is some iron nearby. It's about my difficulty level as well, maybe a bit higher than I am used to. Also I've only ever bothered with domination, space or diplomacy so far, in a hundred or so games must have got two culture wins.

Assuming I mostly wage war and only get a couple of great artists, could I depend on puppets and CS's to provide my culture? In other words do I have to build a lot of culture buildings? When I play as Rome each starting city I found normally gets a monument and thats it....

What social trees should I look at, tend to go for liberty/honour and then rationialism. Looks like tradition may be a good idea.

Yes, you will have to build a lot of culture buildings. But you can still go to war, too. :)

Remember that since you are Rome, building those buildings in the capital first gives the other cities a bonus.

The Piety tree is quite helpful in a cultural game, but that excludes Rationalism.

I am going to try this one, I like playing Rome a lot being a warmonger at heart. Just hope there is some iron nearby. It's about my difficulty level as well, maybe a bit higher than I am used to. Also I've only ever bothered with domination, space or diplomacy so far, in a hundred or so games must have got two culture wins.
Going for culture is fine as it is the designated victory condition. However, there is no requirement and you may play for whatever victory condition you choose. Good Luck. :thumbsup:
From the Announcement said:
In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Culture victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

i wish that oasis was considered next to a river. the river perfectly leads into it. i think the tile at the mouth of any river should be bonus eligible but at the very least that oasis. interesting start spot, not sure what id do until after sending that warrior 1W and then 1SW or 1SE.

Top Bottom