Will there be a second full expansion?

• Yes

Votes: 485 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 143 22.8%

• Total voters

nagano

Chieftain
Do you think there will be another expansion after Gods and Kings? What sorts of things might be added?

I don't think there will be another expansion. They already added everything they left out from earlier Civ series in CiV now to G&K, so there's nothing left to add. If they come up with new stuff, they'll most likely need it for Civ 6.

I don't think there will be another expansion. They already added everything they left out from earlier Civ series in CiV now to G&K, so there's nothing left to add. If they come up with new stuff, they'll most likely need it for Civ 6.
I'd like to see another one, but I agree it seems unlikely. I would like to see a more tangible way of using space in the modern and future eras, but I'm not sure the game engine could handle it. I hope something like that comes along with Civ VI. The one thing they could possibly still add is corporations, but that doesn't seem to be enough for an expansion of its own, if they were planning to do that, it would probably be in Gods and Kings.

I also think there'll be a second expansion, although of course it'll depend on how well this expansion sells.

There is still room for things to add (maybe even health as a local limiter), and things to expand upon.
It's always cheaper to build upon an existing game than to make a new game (and dito engine, etc.).

Also all civs up until now have had two expansions (although one could make the case that all the DLC'd constitute an expansion).

Lastly, the achievements are called XP1, which definitely leaves open the possibility for a second expansion.

A functioning UN like in Civ 4, or Apostolic Palace: Those were really fun.

Manipulating diplomacy became so much more fun with random events too (though remove the silly non-choice "A whirlwind has destroyed your pasture" events, make them choices like "A whirlwind might destroy your pasture in 5 turns, how will you react?").

I really hope they do a second expansion. With G+K I think Civ 5 is on par with Civ 4 feature and civ wise, and I think there's an incentive to do something completely new with a second expansion. The "XP1" bit gives me hope. I also think because of the post-release balance issues it is certainly possible that Civ 5 will have a significantly longer development cycle.

Expansion or not, I think we'll see some extra DLC Civs after G+K.

I would like to see an expanded role for satellites. Rather than just being a tech, you would build and launch them. There would be satellites that complement spies' espionage abilities and SDI as well as for mass media and possibly to detect late game resources. The resource system could be changed so that you had to discover the resources by searching with a worker or satellite instead of them just being revealed once you research a given tech. However, this would only work well if it did not end up being too slow or tedious. Satellites could also be shot down with the appropriate tech, as could the Apollo Program and the Alpha Centauri mission. Each civilization could build a number of space stations, which would give a science boost. The International Space Station could be a world wonder that would give a bigger science boost and a positive diplomacy modifier. As a side note, it would also be interesting to see aerial drones as a late game unit.

We'll see a second expansion. There is no reason not to try new things and see how they work and how people react to them before putting them as base mechanics in Civ VI, and risk us hating them.

Plus, for a less logical reason, look how old Civ IV looks when placed next to Civ V. It is not yet time for Civ VI, because the first few screenshots we'd get of VI wouldn't really impress us that much. It can't look much better on modern hardware.

I would like to see an expanded role for satellites. Rather than just being a tech, you would build and launch them. There would be satellites that complement spies' espionage abilities and SDI as well as for mass media and possibly to detect late game resources. The resource system could be changed so that you had to discover the resources by searching with a worker or satellite instead of them just being revealed once you research a given tech. However, this would only work well if it did not end up being too slow or tedious. Satellites could also be shot down with the appropriate tech, as could the Apollo Program and the Alpha Centauri mission. Each civilization could build a number of space stations, which would give a science boost. The International Space Station could be a world wonder that would give a bigger science boost and a positive diplomacy modifier. As a side note, it would also be interesting to see aerial drones as a late game unit.

I like all of that, save perhaps having to search for resources with it.

Otherwise, it all sounds pretty good.

Certainly manually launching the satellite for uncovering the world terrain would be nice.

I would be shocked if we see a second expansion. I don't think there are enough things to add to the game without just adding things for the sake of it, and then it really isn't fun anymore when it just gets bogged down. While previous games have had two expansions, it feels different for Civ V. I believe in Civ IV, Warlords was released roughly a year after the original game, and then BTS roughly a year after Warlords. The release of G+K will be almost two years after Civ V was released. Plus, with DLC, they don't need to release expansions to make money, they can just release some additional civs and/or wonders.

I think it's way too early to speculate about this. If the expansion sells well enough that they want to use resources toward more content in the future, they will. After the release and the inevitable couple months of gamebreaking bugs and exploits are patched out, maybe Firaxis will evaluate whether or not it would be worth the resources. I don't think they'd make a HUUUUGE change in the game, but I'm sure they'd like to wait to reserve it for Civ 6.

I like all of that, save perhaps having to search for resources with it.

Otherwise, it all sounds pretty good.

Certainly manually launching the satellite for uncovering the world terrain would be nice.
Yeah, searching for resources could be problematic. It probably wouldn't work, I guess I just was thinking of other ways to use satellites.

I'm guessing no. DLC basically fills in the role of an expansion, since with recent Civ games we've two civ expansions, with one having a lot more gameplay changes than the other. IV for example had Warlords (mainly Civs + scenarios, not lots of gameplay tweaks) and then BTS (more substantial gameplay changes/additions, plus some civs and then some scenarios and mods thrown in for the hell of it, even ones Firaxis didn't make). DLC = Warlords basically.

I have been very surprised with the amount of content Firaxis is putting in Gods & Kings. I'm still not giving my hopes up till I actually play the game for myself, but I admit i'm definitely getting excited. I have been thinking about it and I really feel there is going to be one more small expansion at least. They made Sid Meier's Colonization using Civ IVs engine, so it only makes sense to me that they would try and add colonization to Civilization itself. I would at least hope so....

I have been very surprised with the amount of content Firaxis is putting in Gods & Kings. I'm still not giving my hopes up till I actually play the game for myself, but I admit i'm definitely getting excited. I have been thinking about it and I really feel there is going to be one more small expansion at least. They made Sid Meier's Colonization using Civ IVs engine, so it only makes sense to me that they would try and add colonization to Civilization itself. I would at least hope so....
The New World scenario from the Spain and Inca DLC was already given that theme, so I think it's unlikely they would redo it.

not true. as i said in another thread, the lack of civ-specific skins (mainly in cities) could possibly be evidence of a second expansion, though i admit it could be just a future patch. and, as other people in the thread have said, there's always the possibility of new stuff.

G&K is the Warlords of CiV

Which makes me really excited about what their BtS analogue would be like.

Top Bottom