Game changed for the escapist

link.

- Pictish warrior produces 1 faith for a kill

and a huge piece of info :

"If you look at the tech tree, there has been a lot of shifting around. We always wanted to get at least one tech level between each unit in the chain. We don't want you to get musketman here, and the very next tech you can get will give you a rifleman.",Shirk said.

and a huge piece of info :

"If you look at the tech tree, there has been a lot of shifting around. We always wanted to get at least one tech level between each unit in the chain. We don't want you to get musketman here, and the very next tech you can get will give you a rifleman.",Shirk said.

That is good news but isn't Metallurgy between Gunpowder and Rifling?

Important quote:

"Siege weapons effectiveness against units has been decreased, while they will be absolutely necessary if you want to capture a city that has built a wall improvement. No more simply trying to overwhelm a city with massive amounts of warriors. Without siege, you are out of luck."

Important quote:

"Siege weapons effectiveness against units has been decreased, while they will be absolutely necessary if you want to capture a city that has built a wall improvement. No more simply trying to overwhelm a city with massive amounts of warriors. Without siege, you are out of luck."

I would think Swords or Longswords should be able to, or perhaps some range units and a melee should too. It shouldn't matter what is attacking the city, it's all about combat points. I hope it will not look at the specific type of unit (e.g., catapult) to determine what damage it takes. Yes, a seige unit should get the job done quicker but so should 5 Keshiks and a Horseman.

You have to have siege weapons against walls. That is how it should be. Unit tech pacing has been fixed. Great, because I was wondering about this today. Espionage reminds me of the boardgame Dilpomacy in a way. However, this statement makes me wonder if there are not more than two special luxury resources available to mercantile city states. "while mercantile cities have unique luxury resources." All in all a very interesting article.

Yes, a seige unit should get the job done quicker but so should 5 Keshiks and a Horseman.
Thats how I have been doing it in my current game. I am glad they changed this so you'll need some siege equipment against walls, it does make sense. Against walls many times you need to make a breach. Climbing the walls and taking towers etc is very costly, in lives and time. The other thing they could add is perhaps some early game intrigue for a chance to open the gates. Another could be, that if you have at least three units adjacent to the city being besieged, it loses population points (?) per turn until starved into surrender (population thresold for this to occur again?). Well at least they have made an important step in the right direction. Good for them.

Look at that beautiful heavenly picture of that massive building. The skyline of Toronto sure doesnt look like that anymore

Important quote:

I don't like the idea that you would be unable to take a city until catapults are available.

I don't like the idea that you would be unable to take a city until catapults are available.

Which was also part of my point. What if I want to capture an early capital with those Huns UU that they keep talking about, assuming the AI built an early wall (which they usually do)? I can't recall off the top of my head when walls can be built and what tech allow catapults but that would be stupid if we were not allowed to take a walled city when we want and how we want to (esp. if I build enough units). The game shouldn't force an actual historical simulation. Besides, sometimes speed counts (like with the Chivalry units). No way I'm going to wait for the catapults or trebuchets to catch up.

Which was also part of my point. What if I want to capture an early capital with those Huns UU that they keep talking about, assuming the AI built an early wall (which they usually do)? I can't recall off the top of my head when walls can be built and what tech allow catapults but that would be stupid if we were not allowed to take a walled city when we want and how we want to (esp. if I build enough units). The game shouldn't force an actual historical simulation. Besides, sometimes speed counts (like with the Chivalry units). No way I'm going to wait for the catapults or trebuchets to catch up.

Masonry = Walls
Mathematics = Catapults

The Hun's is a bad example, because they can research Bronze Working really early and get the Battering Ram (spearman replacement) which is intended to rip through cities.

Well the other civ would had to
A. Reach walls before you reach cats (though I don't know if they're on the same tech path) and

B. wasted time building walls when the other civ may not even ever declare war

B. wasted time building walls when the other civ may not even ever declare war

Historically,most of the civilizations which delayed the building of walls were easily conquered by barbarians or by another hostile civilization . So,seeing that building Walls is something vital to survive in this cruel world is something I quite enjoy :goodjob: .

I can't wait for my catapults or trebuchets to catch up to pound my enemy city walls into dust. The game should be historically accurate in some ways IMO.

One guy said he is not going to wait for his siege equipment to catch up. Well pal, then good luck taking cities that have walls. :rolleyes:

did anyone else catch this?? Civ 3??

"We targeted Beyond the Sword as the amount of content we wanted to include," Shirk said, referring to the amazing expansion to Civilization 3. "I think in a lot of ways we have hit that and in some ways, especially in terms of new game systems, we surpassed it."

The Mongol Khans would disagree.

You are right about that! :lol: I am just joking with you. You must be able to take a city out even with walls if you keep the pressure and keep pounding on it. It will just be harder. I cannot wait until we see some real gameplay illustrating all these new additions to combat.

Top Bottom