Gun nuts of CFC, I need your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly OT but can someone explain why when I think of Americans going hunting it invariably involves drinking beer and not being ultra careful ? I've been shooting on farms many times , usually vermin . Even if it was 3 or 4 of us as teenagers with the farm to ourselves , heaps of beer and weed , when we went out shooting we would ALWAYS go stone cold sober .

It was just ingrained in us that you did not combine alcohol and guns .If you even accidentally waved an unloaded gun towards someone you would get shouted down . If traveling only a few kms to a new location all rifles were unloaded. Maybe my impression of burly Yanks hunting , drinking and being irresponsible is incorrect , but I doubt it .

I think your perspective is warped by television and movies. Drinking and using a gun is a crime in every state IIRC and it's against federal law to even touch a gun if you smoke marijuana. Doesn't mean some people don't drink and shoot, just that it is not acceptable to do so.

But there is a large number of ignorant people who acquire guns and don't know how to handle them safely. For some reason, there is a lot of resistance to teaching even basic firearm safety concepts in schools which would really do wonders.

My high school had an entire mandatory semester on the subject of firearms which involved shooting trap and rifles, so by the time I was old enough to buy guns I already knew how to safely handle them.

I'm glad to hear that because I suspected the culture is not as is portrayed on TV . But it is a concern that responsibility in regards to firearms seems almost non existent on TV , that it's almost cool to be a dick head.

I'm sure Australia also has a boatload of douchbags when it comes to guns , but it's not nearly as glorified .

The Rifle named the Springfield 03 is a reasonable Mauser rifle.
Between the wars the military of different countries would have a yearly ? shooting competition with the host countries supplying the rifles.

Over the years on average the Swedish Mauser and the Swiss straight pull in 7.5 mm Swiss turned out to be the most accurate with the Swede having the slight edge due to it's calibre of 6.5 mm firing a long slim bullet with a good BC ratio.

If you are looking for an accurate well made Mauser the Swede ex military is the one I would choose.

Yep check the bore well for a lot of armies used corrosive primers in their cartridges and then have a gunsmith check it out.

The type stipulated in the OP is not what I'd consider "worth buying".

What type of rifle is "worth buying" and why can't you get any in Fascist Canada?

Sorry, but all of the guns that are actually worth buying are illegal where you live.

I could acquire an AR-15 but it's not a rifle I'm remotely interested in, even if it weren't a hassle. There's no illegal guns here either, rather, the legislation is set up to make automatic rifles next-to-impossible to own in private hands. But the firearm itself is not illegal.

The type stipulated in the OP is not what I'd consider "worth buying".

That's completely irrelevant, as it's the same type of rifle I'd want to buy if I still lived in the US.

There are many other threads you could post in about gun control laws. I encourage you to find a thread dedicated to such a debate. It doesn't really have a place in this thread though, as my choice in a rifle is not being constrained by any laws.

Slightly OT but can someone explain why when I think of Americans going hunting it invariably involves drinking beer and not being ultra careful ?

No. Just no. I'm sure there are hicks out there but no. The only person I have ever seen touch a gun while drinking was an urban friend of mine that wanted to show off his glock that he would range shoot. After an irate conversation covering how much I didn't care that "it wasn't loaded" I don't think he has ever done anything stupid with it again(he didn't point it or anything, but the concept of getting it out while drunk is ******ed).

Contre have you considered skeet shooting? That is also pretty fun and 12 or 20 gauge shotgun shells are pretty inexpensive.

I've always loved Lee-Enfields - my current rifle is a modified P14 (magazine removed, re-chambered in .308, and a new set of sights). If I was going for serious target shooting accuracy I'd stay away from military rifles (got mine for a total of £5 when the ATSC were trying to free up cabinet space) - Musgrave rifles have a very good reputation although most of it boils down to personal preference.

What type of rifle is "worth buying"

Heckler & Koch G36
Barrett REC7
The entire AK-100 series
Steyr AUG
Fabrique Nationale FAL
M14 EBR
Barrett M82A1

etc.

and why can't you get any in Fascist Canada?

Canada is Communist, not Fascist. The Fascists of this thread demand an apology.

I see G-Max has a small fortune to spend on ammo for casual target shooting?

Interestingly Canada does import a reasonably priced semi-automatic M14 clone from their communist brethren in China called the Norinco M14S which is pretty popular up there and is not subject to restriction.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

Ironically it is banned from being imported into the US because we hate communists.

If contre ever changes his mind about semi-autos (and he isn't a Free Tibet type) I'd suggest it. The M14 is one of the most accurate rifles around.

Canada is Communist, not Fascist. The Fascists of this thread demand an apology.

You didn't answer my question about why Fascist Communist Canada won't let people buy small artillery.

Hehehe, go to the range, fire one round and go home?

Funnily enough, the great Welsh shooter, the Lord Swansea, used in his later years to turn up to the Imperial shooting meeting (think the Olympics of British, European and Commonwealth shooting) and fire one round before retiring, so that he could say that he'd shot in every Imperial meeting.

Hey contre,

You won't go wrong with the Springfield, especially since you're familiar and comfortable with it. Mauser and Lee Enfield will also do you fine. The Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70 are very good bolt-actions with long production histories and too many variants to list that can be found at reasonable prices. I'm assuming that you won't be springing for a Sako or a custom-made weapon.

I just picked up a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 at a nice price. Great, reliable, old fashioned and proven, if it was good enough to stop the Hitlerite fascists than it's good enough for the range. But with what you're looking for, I expect you'd prefer to shell out a few extra bones and move a step up in quality.

I think your first instinct is a good one for your first rifle. As always, safety first and happy shooting!

You didn't answer my question about why Fascist Communist Canada won't let people buy small artillery.

The Canadian government is full of squeamish n00bs who don't know anything about guns and do not understand that the Canadian people are too awesome for these laws.

I'd go for a .22 myself because of cost and ease, but it sounds like you have previous experience with target shooting so you might have a different opinion.

A pellet rifle probably makes the most sense if all you are going to do is target shoot and have a backyard or basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom