Which book are you reading now? Volume XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
at moment nothing, but favourite books I have

I love this (moron)
Cluster (novels) Band II: Melody of Mintaka aka Chaing the Lady
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_(novels)
“To combat this the humans have set Melody of Mintaka to work, a woman with a massive Kirlian aura rating who is able in turn to take over those infiltrators.”

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, erotic: Chaining the Lady - Piers Anthony
“She thought of calling Mintaka, but her chamber was at the other end of the ancient palace, and she dared not leave Meren.”

Warlock

“There is a lot in this book, where any reader can get entirely lost, whether it be in the love between prince Nefer and his Mintaka, or the anxious deception concocted by Naja, or the great battles fronted by Nefer and controlled by Taita.”

2010 April 03 « The BookBanter Blog

“She was from one of the worlds of Mintaka, and as humanoid as they came .”

Archive 2010-01-01

“The three bright stars are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka.”

Orions Belt

““This is the Alnitak, next is the Alnilam, and finally the prestigious Mintaka award.””

Simon & Schuster: Artemis the Brave

“Out from the Hyades sped his hunters, and from Mintaka, and Saiph and Aldebaran, grim ships of war sped headlong between the stars in vengeful search for the small and secret ship that had dared violate their domain.”

Archive 2008-03-01

“Call them Herald the Healer, or Melody of Mintaka, or Flint of Outworld—or Paul of Tarot.”

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror: Faith Of Tarot - Piers Anthony

“To combat this the humans have set Melody of Mintaka to work, a woman with a massive Kirlian aura rating who is able in turn to take over those infiltrators.”

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror: Chaining the Lady - Piers Anthony

“Red Betelgeuse, brilliant blue Rigel, Bellatrix and Saiph; Mintaka, Alnilam and Alniak in the hunter's belt.”

The Year's Best Science Fiction 23rd Annual Collection

“Out from the Hyades sped his hunters, and from Mintaka and Saiph and Aldebaran, grim ships of war sped headlong between the stars in vengeful search for the small and secret ship that had dared violate their domain.”

Bill Crider's Pop Culture Magazine

2 Chaining the Lady (1978)
The book opens with the discovery that Andromeda, the enemy galaxy of the first novel, has discovered the secret of involuntary hosting: a sufficiently higher-Kirlian aura can in effect possess an individual of a lower-Kirlian aura. This has enabled Andromeda to secretly infiltrate the highest levels of government in Sphere Sol and its allies and resurrect its plot to steal the energy of the Milky Way.
Melody of Mintaka, a direct descendant of Flint of Outworld and his Andromedan nemesis, has a Kirlian aura of well over 200. She is pressed into service to "possess" and interrogate a captured Andromedan transferee. Melody, hosted in the young and beautiful body of Yael of Dragon, must like her ancestor Flint find a way to defeat the Andromedan threat and save the galaxy.
The mysterious Ancients are present again in the form of their artifacts and sites. The themes of Tarot and of various myths of Sphere Sol (in this case that of Perseus and Andromeda) are carried throughout this novel as well -- for example, the interSphere fleet of starships has forms analogous to the Tarot suits of Disks, Cups, Wands and Swords.

Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze. An examination of Nazi Germany through the economic conditions and policies followed by the regime.

Something quite different this time. The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke. The tale of an engineer who wants to build Earth's space elevator told alongside the tale of an artist-king who wants to build heaven on Earth two thousand years ago. Pretty good so far.

Starting 1984 for school.
Just read the parts by Goldstein and then move on to Brave New World.
Everything with Smith (such as the Ministry of Love, newspeak, doublethink, "We have always been at war with Eastasia", Room 101, and Big Brother) has been so ingraned into culture that you already know it.

Finished Merleau-Ponty by Eric Matthews. Juggling 1491 by Charles C. Mann (everyone else here seems to have read it, so I figured I'd catch up) and Nietzsche by Rex Welshon.

Just read the parts by Goldstein and then move on to Brave New World.
Everything with Smith (such as the Ministry of Love, newspeak, doublethink, "We have always been at war with Eastasia", Room 101, and Big Brother) has been so ingraned into culture that you already know it.
Well, he'll know the conventional interpretation of it, which tends to leave out some pretty significant stuff. You'll rarely see it discussed as a critique of the class system, for example.

You'll rarely see it discussed as a critique of the class system, for example.

Interesting. I just had to read 1984 for class last week, but I'm already committed to an essay topic for another book. I'll just have to file your idea away for another time.

Halfway through Humanistic Buddhism by Master Hsing Yun.

Speaking of Brave New World, I've been reading that off and on because I feel like it. Recently finished A Midsummer Night's Dream, and for school I am currently reading Antigone. It's incredibly boring, and she's incredible stupid.

0_0 : Simultaneously (as much as this word means) now beginning:
Quran (reading from back to front, like a manga!);
114: Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,
The God of mankind,
From the evil of the retreating whisperer
Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind
From among the jinn and mankind."
Daniel Defoe: Moll Flanders(from Introduction I : Robinson Crusoe has often been referred to as a romance, but Moll Flanders, which followed it by three years, is widely taught and written about as the first English novel.

Spoiler :
eek

PS: it is not my intention to weird you out.

PPS: very strangely, the outdoor light at the back of my house appears to be switched on. i very rarely switch this on.

PPPS: ah, i hear now, the dawn chorus.

Working on Thinking, Fast and Slow by Kahneman now. Just finished Francis Spufford's Red Plenty, which I really enjoyed.

Just finished Rites of Spring by Modris Eksteins. Its about the impact of WWI on European culture. It has been a long time since I have read anything as original or compelling.

Now on page 1 of Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities about the origin of nationalism.

King Lear. It's written by some bloke or other. I forget who. Mad stuff. Plot. Sub plot. Unhappy ending.

Just finished David Liss' A Conspiracy of Paper, a historical fiction-mystery-thriller set in the days of the South Sea Company and the world of finance. Thrilling and funny. I'm now reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

Finished Clarke's novel. Gripping read and quite enchanting, except for the parts where the importance of communications satellites are expounded on. I don't think the loss of such things would lead to starvation and disease, Mr. Clarke. There are other, but slower, ways to communicate after all.

Anyway, back to nonfiction. Gems of the World, by Cally Oldershaw. Really no further explanation needed here, it's a book about gems and their properties.

Due to a lack of other sufficient reading material, I have been reading The Holcroft Covenant. Looking for recommendations for science fiction/space opera reading material in the near future.

Sutherland Introduction to Metric & Topological Spaces. Too hard! :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom