News: TSG35 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 35
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the thirty-fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Askia and lead The Songhai civilization to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. This is an OCC game! You will have until June 1st to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have out Mac players back with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG35 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Askia - The Songhai
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: One City Challenge (OCC) and Promotion Saving are enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 version 1.0.1.511

In this game, you will be playing as Askia, you possess River Warlord. Your receive triple gold from Barbarian encampments and pillaging cities. Embarked units can defend themselves.

You can train the Mandekalu Cavalry, which replaces the Knight. The Mandekalu Cavalry has the same statistics as the Knight, but gains a significant bonus when attacking cities. It can move after attacking. You must discover the technology of Chivalry and you need the horse resource to build it.

You can build the Mud Pyramid Mosque, which replaces the Temple. The Mud Pyramid Mosque increases the city's production of culture (+4 per turn), speeding acquisition of territory and Social Policies. You must discover the technology of Philosophy and you need a Monument in the city to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Friday, 1 June 2012.

The Save can be found here.

Please read the announcement carefully, this is a One City Challenge (OCC) Game. You cannot build settlers nor can you have more than one city. :think:

awesome, have been wanting to try a OCC :D

it'll be interesting to try a domination victory with these settings. i guess askia + khan are the two most suited to it though

Probably an odd question from someone who playing from the beginning, but how do you win domination in OOC? Can you burn Enemy Capitals?

To gain domination, the original owners of the capitals can no longer have possession of them. You can capture them, raze them (which will automatically happen in an OCC game when you capture them) or have another civ take them for you.

Good Luck. :)

Was hoping for another deity game, but I suppose that'd be crazy difficult for OCC?

As I recall from the last OCC game with Japan, the most frustrating thing is that you have to hike units all the way back to your capital if you ever want to upgrade them. For this reason I think I'll try to hit the farthest civilizations first, rather than fanning outwards as normal. It's also completely unnecessary here to attack nearby civilizations in order to expand, since we effectively cannot.

I'm tempted to say "ugh," but I think I'll replace that with, "this could be interesting." ;)

Let's hope there are horses nearby. Although, one option would be to just play nice until bombers/sb and then run the map. It probably will not win in terms of time however.

Edit: Ah wait...bombers may not be able to reach all capitals...nevermind. That brings up another issue. If this happens to be a continents map it could get interesting.

In an OCC game that was created specifically for us I am sure there are some nice horsies within the workable radius. Is it a massive gamble to move the settler and potentially loose out on the them. Or would Leif be nice enough to include horses on several sides?
I am quite tempted to move, but havent decided yet ...

Allying a cs for extra ressources can be pretty valuable if they are limited inside capital's radius.

Hmm I've never played OCC so I may be wrong here, but I'm wondering about this starting position as I don't see any decent food tiles anywhere?

I was thinking about moving to the shore to be able to build some ships, but that's probably not a good idea as we want to maximize production right?

I'll probably do a practice OCC before doing this one (TSG14 maybe).

I'd be pretty harsh to give us an OCC game on a continents map with no obvious sea start location, so no naval units. I don't know Leif well though Lol!

Well our emabarked units can defend themselves, so ships might not even be necessary... however the lack of food at the starting location still worries me!

I'm still trying to decide if I should move the warrior to the north hill or the south hill, but I'm leaning towards the south hill. Then either settle in place, one of the 2 river hills or NW 1 next to the sugar.

I am thinking of doing something stupid, such as wandering for a bit.
I might follow the river, looking for a decent coastal spot either north or south.
I might go for that hill SW of the marble. I bet there is some more sugar somewhere around there.

Be ready for me to post a turn 10 loss. Settler eaten by barbs :)

Hey Brigg,
you haven't lost yet if your settler runs into barbs. they capture, not eat, settlers. You can fight to recapture your settler. You don't actually lose the game until both your warrior and your settler are lost. Yes, sad to say, this is all first-hand knowledge! :)

Top Bottom