Has Gods and Kings said anything about diplomacy yet?

This is a simple question, since I honestly looked and haven't found much. Is Gods and Kings going to do anything to change the way diplomacy works ingame other than getting rid of the 'winning the same way' diplomacy modifier? As it is, CiV's diplomacy is probably my current biggest dislike.

There's been a few tidbits about minor tweaks (like the one you mentioned, and other related to religion/espionage/policies) and we know embassies are being added (though we know nothing about them). But I think there's just going to be small tweaks rather than a complete overhaul of the system. After all, they already overhauled it once....

Religion, epsionage, city state quests, the three final Social Policy branches; they all have influence on diplomacy now.

This is a simple question, since I honestly looked and haven't found much. Is Gods and Kings going to do anything to change the way diplomacy works ingame other than getting rid of the 'winning the same way' diplomacy modifier? As it is, CiV's diplomacy is probably my current biggest dislike.

I am one of the biggest trols and rants about diplomacy on this forum haha And I thinx it will be amazingly improved So yeah..

They indead removed the " you are wining the same way " and In my opinion this is allready a good step in the right direction the AI now doesn't play like a human but conducts diplomacy

Lets overview :

You can get more positif modifiers like if you have the same religion however this modifier will not be as usefull in the industrial era because then diplomacy matters on wich late social policies you choosed

There are 3 late social policies all unlocked in the industial era now : freedom, order, autocracy.
If a AI choosed freedom and you two you get a relation bonus and if they choosed a other policy you get a penalty

You can olso get information from spies and give it to other palyers for a relation boost

So basicly there are more ways to become friends And i thinx that was one of the problems of civ 5
A other big problem that will be fixed is that diplomatic modifiers fade over time so negatif modifers like you settle close will fade away..

I have good hopes for diplomacy in civ however we will see.
One thing I hope they will change is the warmonger penalty there hasn't been any info about this

In a review I read that other civilizations won't declare war on you at the early game just because they're hostile towards you. That means no more early rushing attempts by the AI?

In addition, when you are losing a war and you want to make peace, the AI won't ask for everything you've got.

Religion, epsionage, city state quests, the three final Social Policy branches; they all have influence on diplomacy now.

Sounds good, although I was hoping for some more drastic changes(half the time the AI reacts to you, it appears to be random and occurs for no discernible reason. Hell, friendly civs turn on me all the damn time). I guess good diplomacy will have to be left to the mods, since if Fireaxis was actually focusing on diplomacy, it'd be a major selling point and not something that was shuffled into the back room closet while whistling and looking the other way. I'm just hoping something similar to the CIV diplomacy web returns, because I can't read the AI in this game and the pop ups telling you when someone is a friend or enemy of another are too sparse to be memorable and tend to change at random, just like the AI's reactions to me.

In a review I read that other civilizations won't declare war on you at the early game just because they're hostile towards you. That means no more early rushing attempts by the AI?

In addition, when you are losing a war and you want to make peace, the AI won't ask for everything you've got.

Thats good news a few archers kill the rush and AI is backwards as result you conquer it or soemone else a few turns later

No huge warmonger penalties for conquering city-states

AI doesn't hold grudge against you for too long, no neverending wars

You can have Research Agreements only with close allies/Civs that you have Dec. of Friendship with (not sure which it means)

In early era sharing a religion gives a modifier to diplo, having a different religion a negative (and I bet that different leaders care for religious matters differently)

In later era religion doesn't affect diplo, but ideologies (Order, freedom, autocracy) are a modifier for forming alliances

Your spy getting caught gives obviously a negative hit, but if you discover that, for example Russia is planning to invade India, you can give a note to India and they are grateful and you get a positive diplo

After the empires main borders are established, the AI doesn't get mad for settling new cities

These come to mind :)

Also not directly related to diplomacy, but trades (open borders, luxuries etc) can be renewd when they end (if there hasn't been any scandals with other civ), so you don't need to click all of them again.

Let's not forget that city states now give multiple missions at the same time so you wont be stuck with 'we want x dead' missions.
Making a diplomatic victory more about helping them out instead of feeding them money.

(I'm still hoping for the option of turning a civilization into a vassal state.)

Let's not forget that city states now give multiple missions at the same time so you wont be stuck with 'we want x dead' missions.
Making a diplomatic victory more about helping them out instead of feeding them money.

(I'm still hoping for the option of turning a civilization into a vassal state.)

Lol with the agressive AI haha

" my ods are clearly against you " I atack you're vasal you are at war :mad:

Another one:
After Empire's borders are established the "You settled next to us!" negative hit is no more a worry

Another one, you need to have a Declaration of Frienship to be able to have a research agreement.

Sounds like there will be some very much needed improvements! The Diplo AI as it is is just crazy.

I think I've also seen it mentioned in one article (can't remember which one, and it might ass well be wishful thinking) that you won't get a warmonger penalty for destroying someone who attacked you first.
I hate it when civs keep attacking me every ten turns after the newest peace treaty expires and I'm the bad guy because I'd rather wipe the psychos out before they get acces to flight and nukes.

Of course all we now know is what modifiers you get, and not if they actually mean anything. If civs still get from friendly to hostile and back in a matter of 15 turns, and if you're still being backstabbed by weaker allies all the changes are nil.

I would say that the change to the Research Agreement mechanic is the strongest evidence we've so far seen to suggest that the AI will be less aggressive. The AI does love a good RA, and without a DoF, they won't be able to sign any.

What I'd like to know is if the AI (and indeed the human player) will now be penalised for breaking RAs by declaring war? IMO, if you break a RA you should suffer some kind of research penalty as well as losing the gold invested, but if the Civ you signed a RA with DOWs you, you should get 50% of the gold back. Or something. Either way, it needs work.

I would say that the change to the Research Agreement mechanic is the strongest evidence we've so far seen to suggest that the AI will be less aggressive. The AI does love a good RA, and without a DoF, they won't be able to sign any.

What I'd like to know is if the AI (and indeed the human player) will now be penalised for breaking RAs by declaring war? IMO, if you break a RA you should suffer some kind of research penalty as well as losing the gold invested, but if the Civ you signed a RA with DOWs you, you should get 50% of the gold back. Or something. Either way, it needs work.

Or the AI should stop beeing a dick

Yeah CS missions now...We want x dead...If you conquer x you get a huge diplo hit. I am glad that has changed.

In some preview the reviewer noted that AI accepted peace without wanting half of your cities as reward, so after a brutal war they welcome peace too.

In some preview the reviewer noted that AI accepted peace without wanting half of your cities as reward, so after a brutal war they welcome peace too.

But at what level was this reviewer playing?

Or the AI should stop beeing a dick

Why should it stop being one when you can also render unto Caesar what is Caesar (ie. taking away all his goldstack before DOW)

I wonder what happens when you crush the AI? As it is now they give you most of what they have. That should be brought back a few levels too. It is too easy to start a war, or get it to attack you, drub the AI and except peace, when it offers important cities and a huge amount of gold and resources. This happens on emperor, not sure about the higher levels.

Why should it stop being one when you can also render unto Caesar what is Caesar (ie. taking away all his goldstack before DOW)

One way to fix this would to be to give the human player a penalty of some sort if it DoWs on the AI civ, up to so many turns after he/she has traded with it. Any ideas as to what that penalty could be? The penalty should be something that makes you think, whether that penalty is truly worth the risk of draining the AI civ for all its worth before attacking it.

Top Bottom