TSG37 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG37 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- Where did you found your first city and why did you choose that site?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?

I just lost my capital on turn 33. I guess that's that lol

Edit: I reloaded the autosave when Japan declared war on me just to see if I could survive. I barely managed to hang on this time but lost 4 or 5 warriors in the process. Then after I weather the storm Japan offers me peace and 300 gold. What is going on in this game?

Attachments

• GOTM37.jpg
    GOTM37.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 189
I barely managed to hold Japan off with a warrior and 2 archers while Beijing was building the GL, after that it's been constant war with either Japan or the Iroquis, I've been at war with Darius since turn 60 or so too.
My original plan was to bleed Nobunaga dry of troops and then to invade him but he has catapults and swordsmen now and the Iroquis have been keeping me busy.
I just hope Ghengis Khan has someone else to invade over there and does not decide to come over.

Attachments

• 8930_screenshots_2012-06-01_00001.jpg
    8930_screenshots_2012-06-01_00001.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 170
I barely managed to hold Japan off with a warrior and 2 archers while Beijing was building the GL, after that it's been constant war with either Japan or the Iroquis, I've been at war with Darius since turn 60 or so too.
My original plan was to bleed Nobunaga dry of troops and then to invade him but he has catapults and swordsmen now and the Iroquis have been keeping me busy.
I just hope Ghengis Khan has someone else to invade over there and does not decide to come over.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. You picked a tough one to start with.

Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

I just lost my capital on turn 33. I guess that's that lol
Sorry to hear it. Immortal can be rough. :mischief:

I lost my capitol to Japan about turn 38. My original Warrior was heading back from initial exploring after the Explorer started out and the Warrior purchased after DoW could not defend against 4 Warriors, 2 Archers, although they did manage to kill 2 attacking warriors. Trying again with a mind to create more warriors sooner!

Update turn 101 :

I moved warrior south west and saw some nice river and 2 other riversided luxuries. So i moved settler near that river and took 1 turn to do it. Some turns later, Japanese DoWed me. I had still my capital only and i decided to build a 2nd warrior and picked free settler and put it south of there near pearls.

The 2nd city started with a warrior. then when my capital went at 3 :c5citizen: i started a 3rd settler. Was still waiting for japanese units but they didn't show up. My warriors were fortified on hills in front of my capital.

3rd city started an archer and capital built another one too. So i had 3 warriors and 2 archers at some point. But still no units in sight...ha...haha...know i understand! They DoWed Harun and Hiawatha DoWed Japan! :crazyeye: Now that's crazy stuff. But that's perfect like this ;)

I started some infrastructures and sent a warrior south west of my land trying to please a maritime cs with killing a barb camp. I barely done it and i could ally that cs some turns later :goodjob:

Capital built an early paper maker and 2 other cities started them a bit later. Then i found that the GL wasn't build yet. So i started the GL in capital and made it around turn 60 and picked Civil Service for free :goodjob:. Then the NC was started.

Meanwhile, japanese built the GW :eek:. Hmm i think i'm really stuck here for a while. Hell....no. Persia entered the dance of wars. I finally made peace with Japan(for nothing in return) and Persians managed to capture Japan's capital :eek:. That's a lot of action!(see picture below)

Spoiler :

I started RAs everywhere(i encountered 5 buddies at that time) and made a RA with Japan since they are much weaker without his capital. everyone si friendly. So far so good. My culture rate is slow. I don't have time to complete Liberty because i have to open rationalism before RAs will mature. I will need a cultural cs soon with some temples later to get everything in time.

Spoiler :

Started out good and I managed to settle Shangai near the fish and sheep cuz Japan stole the sugar site but lost it quickly after an early DOW from Japan. Then lost my capitol turn 44. O well just glad I'm not last.

My first try at immortal level...I am only really good at settler :lol:

settled in place.

I was able to build 2 more citys one to the southwest next the mountain under the sugar and one directly west on the hill with the river prior to Japan DoW on me. Then 2 other civs DoW like 4 turns later(Darius and Hiwatha). I was able to stave off the invasion.

I was late meeting a couple civs. was at war with Darius and Hiwatha for many turns. So those RA's were useless. I also never RA'd with Japan again, I was afraid they were gonna break it. Beakers, Food and Money is really tight for me.

I should have pushed back and went after Kyoto, but i was scared. I am now afraid that will be my demise.

My first try at immortal level...I am only really good at settler :lol:
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

I should have pushed back and went after Kyoto, but i was scared. I am now afraid that will be my demise.
I'm sure you are not the only one. ;)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

This one's not easy. I settled in place and then put second city (Shanghai) west of the marble on the riverside hill by the fish. Japan DOWed me immediately after I settled that second city. He sent wave after wave of warriors and archers at both of my cities simultaneously, and at one point Shanghai was down to 20% strength. Those Japanese units are tough! I had built archers though, and another warrior, and was able to pick off his units without any losses. Eventually he ran out of steam and I got a decent peace deal out of him (about 300 gold I think). At turn 84 I've built up my forces a little more, upgraded a couple warriors to swordsmen, and taken Osaka from him. Oda really pisses me off. I'm leaning towards taking his capital off him and eliminating him, but that may not be the most rational plan.

Update turn 150 :

My scouts went into the big bath to search for other civs after discovery of astronomy. I didn't take much time to find them.

Spoiler :

Picked a free ge from HS for PT. Allied a cultural cs because i have to gather more culture. Built universities, then half markets then workshops. Finished markets and started Ironworks in capital. Picked free ge from Liberty to complete Taj Mahal.

Japan is really sick. He first broke a RA. Then reDoWed me some turns later. Then again....so sick. He never learn! Of course, i stopped signing RAs with him. I upgraded my little army and continued to stay at defence mode. Then i realized that the Oracle wasn't build yet. I gave it a try and for my big surprise i got this wonder :eek::goodjob: Also, HG is built 1 turn before in a far away land(pretty late too).

Spoiler :

And finally at turn 149 here come Darius against me(RA broke)...and Japan again. 2vs1, i'm building a 4th crossbowman and will defend on 2 fronts. My units are advanced enough so i think i will not have much difficulties to repeal their future attacks. With Oracle done, a cultural cs and 2 temples, i will complete rationalism in much less time than i tought.

Spoiler :

Move the warrior south on the hill and even thou I could see the river, decide to sat on cotton as those stone might get really useful for early wonder.

I went Monument>Warrior>GL>NC
+ 3 early RA

Japan early attack me but my two warriors and the civic that double the garrison from Tradition help me get throu theses rough time. When we finally made peace, I could visit a little and Find Darius, Harun and Hiwatha.

Harun ask me to DoW Japan again. I ask for 10 turns, it let me finish NC and get back to my land. DoW Japan to steal my first 2 workers (i guess somewhere around turn 60) and once I set up my mine on the Iron and a quarry on the stone, I was rolling on production to start a little army which was enough to take over 2 cities. Osaka, south of my location, and Damascus which is north of Kyoto.(just when I was about to attack Japan, Harun DoW me, traitor).

I finish Education around turn 90 I guess and I'm now aiming at Machinery to set war on these 4 guys to close for me. I'll need to culture bomb Japan to get a little more Iron 'cause Harun Army seem endless.

Darius fight Hiawatha
Hiawatha and Harun fight Japan
It's a big mess out there.

@t135:
moved the settler SSE of start position, settled on other side of SE hill on the river by the mountain -- turned out to be a solid spot with sheep, sugar, access to cotton, etc.
Japanese declared as my free settler was manuevering to settle by the mountains WSW of capital, lost it. they settled tokyo non-optimally, forgot for a bit i couldn't raze it - oh well. planted shanghai on coast near marble NW of capital, whipped japanese with archers and warriors, took tokyo, got hte iron there and upgraded warriors to swords for assault on osaka, took it easily too. Kyoto looked like a terrible nut to crack, terrain bad for offense and japanese had a catapult planted behind the walls :( thing to remember with japanese -- if you can help, don't leave a wounded unit alive -- it will attack as if it's 100%. got a great peace from Japan (they were at war w/everyone pretty much) after Persia DoW'd me ... they had planted Bactra south on the coast near the pearls. terrain there also difficult, but am wearing it down. have cat and range-upgraded archer.
wonder-wise: got GLib, NColl, HS in capital, used GE from HS to get PT
tech-wise: pottery, writing, picked up free anim husb from ruins, mining, BW, IronW, took Philosophy with Glib, beelined education, since have been researching towards machinery for cho-ko-nus (5 turns away now); research speed < optimum, haven't got universities up yet though working on it
tons of cash a/this point +54 gpt, using GGs for golden ages
SP-wise: picked up wonder boost from tradition, nearly done with liberty.
arabs settled baghdad on my NE border, crappy spot (no resources)
generally feel like I'm in a decent position right now, Persia's not really showing signs of breaking out in my direction, my empire is nicely consolidated and resource-rich (tons of sugar, excess cotton) though a little light on the iron, japan is on my sw border to run interference with everybody else and not in a position where they're likely to take him out. nearly have my CKNs, at least one will have range=3, am aiming to take at least bactra from persians, may follow the coast down if odds look good. Arabia might be a problem, but they're quiet right now. After machinery, time to get astronomy and meet the few remaining civs not on his continent and get an RA wave going (very) soon.

Since this is my first serious attempt at immortal, I have decided to write up my effort more than usual. Comments welcome.

Warrior W, then NW.
Settle in place. Decide to go for the Hanging Gardens.

Warrior explores West then SW , SE and back home. 2nd warrior heads East and hangs around Hanoi for a worker or Barb to appear.

First player to all 3 local CS, which is nice. No ruins.

by turn 30:
SP: Opened Tradition; Oligarchy
build Warrior, Monument, Warrior
bought an Archer, and started building another.
Tech: AH, TW, Archery, started Math.
Stole worker from Hanoi, made Peace, apologized to Arabia and started heading him back

Beijing Pop 4 and Demographics:
Last in Pop, Food production, manufacturing, land, and approval.
#7 in GNP , #6 in Mil , #4 Lit
Japan leads Pop and Mil ; Persia leads Land and Crops.

_______
SP- Aristocracy
t36! [ GLib built faraway ]

t38! Japan wants war against Persia. I think about this for awhile. It would be nice to get a "fought together" dip bonus with the military leader, and keep him busy for a little while. Let's get this started!

t40! [ GLh built faraway ]
Archer built.

t41! Math completed, switched archer building to HG , Beijing to Production, researching Mining. I am #4 to Classical era.

t47! [ Colossus built faraway ]

t49! Japan backstabs. :ninja: In this war I lose 1 warrior, promote 2 archers once each, and kill 2 Japanese warriors.
Masonry

t54! Peace with Darius. I pay 72g and Open Borders. No contact at any time with Persian units.
SP - open Honor

t55! Plain Peace with Japan at his request.
Pottery

t57! Economy at 0g+0gpt, and freedom from Japanese threat, I head South to take out a barb camp for a bit of culture and gold. Turns out it was also a mission for Dublin! Oddish, because Helsinki is between the camp and Dublin. Now friends with Dublin. Hopefully he gifts me something cool soon.

[Oracle built faraway ] The tension mounts....

t60! Arabia Declares! Don't even know where he is.

t61! [Stonehenge built faraway ] dun DUN

t62! I build Hanging Gardens! Switch Beijing to Gold focus.

t63! Calendar complete; started Writing.

Demographics: Leaders unchanged. I have slipped to #9 in all categories except Literacy at #7.

Save Game and F12. When I take screenshot with F12, the pic comes out fine, but then the game for some mysterious reason always loads an old game afterward. Haven't really explored why yet, I did see there was some mechanism for changing how screenshots get taken. Hints on this bug/feature appreciated.

The Known World Turn 63:

Spoiler :

by turn 83:

Japan attacked as expected, but niftily, I had traded him marble and cotton for 480g the turn before PT expired.
Selling more cotton to Hiawatha buys me a wall, and the allegiance of Dublin for 7 turns.
Construction, and beelining to Machinery.

Peaced Arabia. Arabia, Persia, Iroqouis, Helsinki, Dublin all fighting each other, its a field of blood out there and somehow I lose only 2 warriors and wipe out 20 Japanese and Persian units. Perhaps because of adding
SP: Warrior Code and spawning Sun Tzu. Nice touch, that.

Archer, Papermaker, Stoneworks , 2 replacement warriors built. Started Pyramids, might switch to Settler for a second city around the Pearls due South.

Beijing has Pop 8, but growing quickly; switching between Gold and Production focus. In Golden Age from combat-spawned General Leonidas.

First ring improvements nearly complete. Next up is horses, or maybe a road for the settler.
Army is 2 Warriors, 4 Archers, 1 worker, 1 Sun Tzu. Almost all units have the open terrain promotion.

I think this is a fair start, surely not going to win a speed record. Still at war with Japan and Persia.

I need more cities! Did what I had to do to survive though. I now think forget Pyramids, build 2 settlers, then stadium, and put a city on the east-most sugar, and another on the horses hex on southern coast. Unless a serious attack takes place, but I think I have cut them down hard for now. Might even take on Tokyo for the iron.

Update turn 180 :

My army repealed both Persia and Japan attacks. Also made peace with both of them. Resigned RA with Persia. Built some extra units to discourage further DoWs. Got 1 gg for extra golden age later :goodjob:. I found some coal and aluminium.

Spoiler :

The other turns were pretty calm. Tweaked some other things, but also watching if Catherine can survive enough for a future RA. I'm ready to largely convince(pay) Siam to stop genocide if needed.

Spoiler :

Apollo is under construction. Focusing on production and railroads for now in preparation of parts coming up.

Spoiler :

Turn 100 to 180

The fight went well against all four nations. I make sure I took every possibility of winning for Arabia, Hiawatha and Darius. Japan as been irradicate by Hiawatha.

Finally made peace with everyone when hapiness became a problem. No city razing is hell to do. My capital was still at 9 population at that time so I figure out it was time to kick in that way 'cause I'd lost my first place on tech race. Sell 3 cities for cash, annex Osaka and Kyoto and kick back in Science mode.

I RA to outer civ' first but finally try those close civ again and it work well so far. I manage to always have 4 RA's up, should have take 2 more but I wasn't to trust Arabia after there first betrayal and Hiawatha as I'm the one who backstab them.

I lost Porcelain Tower by 4 turns before 3 RA went to conclusion, lost Big Ben by 10 turns, half way through. Every wonder is taken by England right now. Siam and England Share the City-state but the only real problem would be England as she as twice the score of every other player.

At turn 200 England is so far ahead that I doubt I'll manage to win anyhow. I'm reaching research lab in a couples turn and then I'll start thinking about production and creating some hammer overflow for Appollo Programm. I have a little army but so far ahead technologically that I can wipe out anyone... but england. Just trade open border to see what there territory look like and there's Infantry almost everywhere. Around me, Darius, Hiawatha, Mongolia and Arabia are still fighting with knight, longsword and Musket.

What I'll change in my replay.

Going for GL wasn't worth it, I'll probably try for Liberty and Hanging garden instead next one. No need for Aristocracy for Hanging garden and I'll get the marble earlier. As you can't rush to education while ignoring your defense, the rush to national college is negligeable and can wait 20 more turns to set up a paper maker in second city. Some extra early production would be better.

I'll set up first city by the river. So far, my location is perfect but not having the Hydroplant will be a major drawback for the spaceship. Second city by the mountain for a mandatory observatory. Gotta look if they will be far appart enough.

I'll ignore Honor a little more. 2 early swordman is enough with there helping archers and after, ChoKoNu just kick ass. Honor is almost useless as your promotion versus city is one of the first. +, I haven't seem any barbarian the whole game. Having three city earlier will slow down early civics and which might help me get more during the Renaissance.

I'll sell city for more. Sell the first one for peanut before I understand how it work. First time I try that and it's really worth it.

What I've noticed is that it is best to take Archery as one of the first techs in immortal and above, that way you can have several on hand when the AI decides to warrior rush. I'm on turn 100. Japan has attacked and retreated several times. On turn 47 they decided to offer me 100 gold plus 2 gpt. No other civ has been aggressive... I think that Darius is up to no good since he has his catapults at my border now (turn 100). My first two cities are in good locations but failed to find a good 3rd location so I opted for a coastal spot. Do not have education yet and it is turn 100 so it may be useless to continue...

Update turn 212(finish) :

After Apollo, i rushed space elevators and started parts.

Spoiler :

Then it was as i expected...the missing RAs from Darius and Japanese cost me some turns i had to wait for later RAs to complete last techs. And Siam taking my allies...:( Now at -10 happiness, i need to recover a sugar from Ghengis and his RAs expired some turns ago. So i DoWed him immediately.

Spoiler :

So i'm waiting...for RAs. I wait for 8-9 turns...:sleep::sleep:...Finally the last parts are online....well not yet...4 more turns to research nanotech...:sleep:

Spoiler :

Then i started last parts.

Spoiler :

It felt a bit slow at the end but some wars that broke some RAs(Japs and huge Darius right on door) and the fact that it was a fractal map make RAs a bit more difficult to chain right on time to finish under 200 turns. Still pleased with what i've done.

Turn 100 and still alive, but very slow progress.

I have 3 cities. The first was SE of starting position west of the mountain. 2nd was on the 2x iron. 3rd city was south on the coast near the pearls. I have minimal exploration as I seem to spend the time defending waves of Japanese soldiers. I have no wonders having spent all my time building units for defence.

Research is slow too, but machinery is under way to upgrade archers to CKNs. There was only 1 ruin that I found which upgraded warrior to spearman - wished it was culture. Japan has finally offered gold for peace and everyone is now friendly so it is time for better luxury sales and RA's.

SPs are the left hand side of Honor and the top line of Liberty.

Development is so slow that I may not win even if I survive. Immortal is definitely not my usual cup of tea.

Top Bottom