New Religion Cutscene Project!!!

The Capo

godless Heathen
Hey everyone, as I am prepping for my return to modding (again) I thought of one area of modding that is not only easy to address, but would also be fun and useful for a lot of people, and that area of modding is the religious cutscenes.

I have spoken with SaibotLeih about this months ago, and I think between the two of us two or three religious cutscenes were created (Norse, Mesoamerican and Greco-Roman, etc.?). There are a lot of other religions in mods out there that need good cutscenes and I think we could not only do a great job as a community, but we could also knock this out of the park pretty quickly.

Anyone down?

Well, I guess it should be a good start then to show what we have so far.

Here are the movies for the Norse:
Spoiler :

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19390

and the Mesoamerican:
Spoiler :

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19389

Furthermore, and in fact purely by chance, I've put together a movie for the Druidic religion about three weeks ago just for fun.
Spoiler :

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19388

So, that's it for me for now. I might put some more movies together in the future, but I can't promise anything.

Creating these movies is in fact rather easy, since one does not have to fiddle around with any rigging, but just has to put some nif models together into one big nif. With a bit of creativity, being able to use NifSkope should be enough for this movie-making. Just give it a try. :)

I made a Greco-Roman one too, but it is on my other computer so I cant show it right now.

But the Druidic one is amazing, great work. I think the best thing to do at this point would be to start brainstorming for the other religions, particularly the more obscure ones like the Canaanite/Levant religion (Baalic?), I don't think much is known about that one. Voodoo seems to be another popular one too.

I've digged up the private message about the religious movies. Here are the parts that might be of interest. It's not very much, but at least some starting points.

The Capo said:
Shinto - Again, this one seems fine to me, it has a Torii (or whatever it is called) model on the cutscene's table, which I think is fine, the only change I intend on making is giving the walls a Japanese paper-wall look, which I am capable of doing myself actually. :goodjob:
Again, fine with me. If something should be done with it, maybe a gohei could be added to it.
The Capo said:
Canaanite Religion/Ba'alic Religion - This would be one used for Carthage or Phoenicia. I have no idea what to do here. All I have done so far is throw random symbols on parchment which lies upon a table. I have no idea what to do here, the only model I really have is a stele with the Tanit symbol on it, which may be sufficient since I (and actually even many scholars) do not know much about this religion/culture.
Annunaki/Mesopotamian Religion - Much like the Canaanite thing, I don't really know what we can use for this, although fortunately there is more material available that we can look towards.
Both not easy, I'll have to think about it a more. Would it be possible to use miniature models ob buildings like with the Shinto movie? Maybe some other buildings or other objects of the respective cultures will do. Maybe a Phoenician ship or a figure of an elephant (don't know if they were that important in the Carthage culture, but one easily connects both).
The Capo said:
Voodoo - For this one I was going to take Churchill's hat and turn it into a Voodoo shaman (or Poppa Shango) style hat (adding a skull and feathers) and then of course a Voodoo doll, which would be your department, since I can not really pull that off myself.
A Voodoo doll should be doable. If you need a skull model, in the AO files are some. This one for example.
The Capo said:
Zoroastrianism - this one is going to be much more difficult, unless we leave it as is (currently it is just a picture of Zoroaster on some parchment), however I know fire is an important aspect of this religion. I also know that it is difficult to work with the fire effect. :(
I don't know if the fire effect will look good during the tracking shot because of the constant change of the angle. But I don't really know about that. :dunno:
The Capo said:
Pesedjet/Amun-Ra/Egyptian Religion - Okay, I think we could easily do this one. I might even be able to do it on my own (although you'd probably do a better job). I can put those two Egyptian sceptar things (the word escapes me know, but there is a round one and a bent one) over a papyrus image of some religious scene. Bam, done.
Maybe an Ankh would look fine, too. Google warehouse offers some, but I haven't converted any models from them yet, so I don't know how usable they are. They also have an Egyptian funerary mask.
The Capo said:
Shamanism/Native North American Religion - I think we could get away with using a dream-catcher here, not sure where we'd get the model from, maybe google warehouse or something. I don't know.
Found nothing good yet, but might in the future. What I've found is an axe that could be turned in a tomahawk and an indian totem in the AO files. Maybe something of that might be usable.

cool. stuff guys. back in the day I thought about doing this too. I think greco-roman I was going to put Pericles helmet there and add something to make it Athena's.

I think the fire effect should be ok. Take it from a leaderhead and include the smoke and you should be fine.

for egyptian I was going to take ramses mask and head and skin it with gold metal from another texture and make a sarcophagus.

for shamanism the back ground on civ4col they use for sitting bull would look great on the walls. It should be easy to make a peace pipe with two feathers on it.

for voodoo take the skull model off of monty (using chuggis reskin) or my skeletor LH.

cool. stuff guys. back in the day I thought about doing this too. I think greco-roman I was going to put Pericles helmet there and add something to make it Athena's.

I think the fire effect should be ok. Take it from a leaderhead and include the smoke and you should be fine.

for egyptian I was going to take ramses mask and head and skin it with gold metal from another texture and make a sarcophagus.

for shamanism the back ground on civ4col they use for sitting bull would look great on the walls. It should be easy to make a peace pipe with two feathers on it.

Dude, you should totally whip something together, it shouldn't take too long, especially if you have an idea already.

for voodoo take the skull model off of monty (using chuggis reskin) or my skeletor LH.

Same here.

Furthermore, and in fact purely by chance, I've put together a movie for the Druidic religion about three weeks ago just for fun.
Spoiler :

Download link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19388

I have not been able to get the Druid one to work, it keeps crashing with a graphics error. I was recently trying to get Johny Smith's Zoroastrianism religion cutscene to work but had the same problem. It turned out that one of the files was missing. Is that possibly what is wrong with the Druid one?

Nice :goodjob:
I have not been able to get the Druid one to work, it keeps crashing with a graphics error. I was recently trying to get Johny Smith's Zoroastrianism religion cutscene to work but had the same problem. It turned out that one of the files was missing. Is that possibly what is wrong with the Druid one?
Just tested the downloadable files, works fine for me.

This is the code I used, the only change from the original code is marked in red:
Code:
		<ReligionInfo>
			<Type>RELIGION_JUDAISM</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_JUDAISM</Description>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_JUDAISM_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_JUDAISM_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<TechPrereq>TECH_MONOTHEISM</TechPrereq>
			<FreeUnitClass>UNITCLASS_JEWISH_MISSIONARY</FreeUnitClass>
			<iFreeUnits>0</iFreeUnits>
			<iSpreadFactor>100</iSpreadFactor>
			<GlobalReligionCommerces>
				<iGlobalReligionCommerce>1</iGlobalReligionCommerce>
				<iGlobalReligionCommerce>0</iGlobalReligionCommerce>
				<iGlobalReligionCommerce>0</iGlobalReligionCommerce>
			</GlobalReligionCommerces>
			<HolyCityCommerces>
				<iHolyCityCommerce>0</iHolyCityCommerce>
				<iHolyCityCommerce>0</iHolyCityCommerce>
				<iHolyCityCommerce>4</iHolyCityCommerce>
			</HolyCityCommerces>
			<StateReligionCommerces>
				<iStateReligionCommerce>0</iStateReligionCommerce>
				<iStateReligionCommerce>0</iStateReligionCommerce>
				<iStateReligionCommerce>1</iStateReligionCommerce>
			</StateReligionCommerces>
			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Religions/Jewish.dds</Button>
			<TechButton>Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/Judaism.dds</TechButton>
			<GenericTechButton>,Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/Judaism.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Beyond_the_Sword_Atlas.dds,4,3</GenericTechButton>
			[COLOR="Red"]<MovieFile>Art/Movies/Religion/Druid/Dru_Found.nif</MovieFile>[/COLOR]
			<MovieSound>AS2D_BUILD_JEWISH_MOVIE</MovieSound>
			<Sound>AS2D_BUILD_JEWISH</Sound>
		</ReligionInfo>

It starts to play fine. It crashes right at the end. At one point it was consistently crashing just after closing. We must have something in the mod conflicting with it some how.

Unfortunately I still don't know what might cause these crashes. For me the movie is working fine and I have seen no crashes, so I have no idea how to fix this problem.

Top Bottom