TSG38 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG38 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Wow - First submitted! See if anyone can beat this time ;)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 38
Date submitted: 2012-06-21
Reference number: 26489
Your name: LTJG Perry
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 2027AD
Turns played: 454
Base score: 2447
Final score: 2718
Time played: 11:16:00

recap up to t216:
Spoiler :
Settle in place.
Ruin 1 > Map
Owned 4 times trying to build wonders. sigh
I now have Machu Pichu and Taj

took Berlin on our second war, he declared again later, so took the next German city, left him with one on the edge of the island.

Currently have 3 Xbows, 3 Samurai, 1 treb, and 2 GGs (incl Yamamoto hurray, the other will bust for GA in a few turns)

Liberty complete (GE for Taj), Honor 4/5 Im thinking Rationalism next but freedom, commerce are all attractive too.

Allied with Vienna and Florence.

Built 2 cities south of me: 1 at the isthmus; 1 NE of Mt Fuji.
recently established the 4th on the double silver island to the North.

France, China are the only friendlies, and no one had enough $ to make RAs when I did. That should change soon though, Wu is starting to get rich, so I will save for that.

recap up to t315:
Spoiler :

Nothing went as planned.
Greece kept flipping my 2 CS, so I declared on him. Eventually even found him and killed a bit here and plundered a bit there. Yeah he had the rest of the CS on his side. I puppeted CapeTown as a nice launch point for a later invasion of Arabia.

70 turns later he asked for a straight up peace, I say OK Meantime set 5 RAs

t305

Arabia and Germany DoW together. Mongolia, Egypt chime in the next 2 turns. Only 1 of these broke an RA.

Built Brandenburg. Converted all my Samurais to Rifles starting them to infantry very soon.

Russia and France friendly, Greece guarded, the rest at war. Mostly its sea battles, Khan armies still sitting at home, though I have few caravels waiting to swamp invaders. Razed 2 Arabian minor cities near Capetown.

Liberty, Honor complete. Rationalism, Autocracy opened.

Russia is ahead by about 4 techs .

In the last 130 turns...

Got Mecca and peaced Arabia. 5 Sam>>Rifles and 2 sweet upgraded cannons sent back across what is now the Sea of Japan.

Upgraded them all to infantry and artillery, and headed for the Mongolian coast, with 5 multi promoted destroyers in support.

The invasion was a complete disaster. Left with all my ships and 2 GGs but only 1 infantry and 1 artillery alive. Well I did kill almost 1 for 1 at least.
Quickly built a new army and this time crushed Karakorum (4 wonders)and his 2nd city (1 wonder) , puppeted them and peace. Thinking to attack Russia next but the terrain was just too forbidding. Instead I took Athens and the Greek second city, with 3 wonders between them, with no losses. A 2 full carrier airforce was pretty nice here.

Now France has the G. Lighthouse, so ought to have been a priority, but he was my only bon amie. I have to leave him for last, just for the RAs. Even if I have to give him the $ to make them; he was perpetually broke.
Settled a 5th city N of Capetown for Uranium, and allied Quebec City and Dublin(2 more U). Filling out the Autocracy tree.
Next stop was Russia, with a 3 Nuke surprise. Razed his 2 western cities and kept Moscow (1 wonder) No losses.

Around t 380, heading to China with most of the army/navy (I left a few to deter Greece from retaking Athens) and reinforcements sent to meet them. Annexed Athens to buy Atomic bombers closer to the front, and a few more defenders.

Hand built Sydney opera House. (4 GEs were made into manufactories by the end of the game, which I rarely do, but here seemed like the right thing.)

Nuke the heck out of China, raze 3 cities, liberate Helsinki, and puppet Beijing(2 wonders), the well built city to its south, and the west china city bordering the Egypt-China Rift.
Loss: 1 destroyer (my best one ), 1 artillery (again the best one), 1 Mech. Completed Autocracy for the combat bonus about 3 turns into this war.
Army gets upgraded to Modern Armors, Jets,and Mech infantry during this stage.

After China was fairly in hand, peaced her out, scrapped the Carriers and rebased the air force in that border city. Moved all the destoyers and a nuke missile armed Sub to Egypt's south, and the army paddling the Rift.

Allied a few more CS-- just enough to stop Alex from pulling a Diplo.

By now the pattern is familiar. 4 Nuke blasts, Roll in with the Army and Egypt falls in 3 turns. Kept only Thebes. (Great Library and nothing else) raze 3 Egyptian cities before he will take peace, 4 turns after Thebes fell. Loss: 1 Jet

As I fought Egypt, I set up France with some massive overkill, and a 3 turn nuke/ guided missile/ stealth bomber blitz finished that off.

opend patronage towards the end.

Greece or maybe even Arabia could easily have made successful bids on retaking their capitals, but never tried. I guess they like not being radioactive too much. Now Germany, they tried. Every now and then I'd have to swat down some landnechts with Mechanized infantry. Gotta love em.
Overall, though, It was China that put up the best fight, and was fairly clever with her use of destroyers.
I did lose more to Mongolia, but that was more the fault of not enough shore bombardment prior to landing.

Heck of a game!

Date submitted: 2012-06-21
Reference number: 26490
Your name: Thresian
Game date: 1880AD
Turns played: 310
Base score: 1773
Final score: 2859
Time played: 9:05:00
Submitted save: Oda Nobunaga_0310 AD-1880.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Thresian_C503801.Civ5Save

A fairly standard stealth-rush. The first 200 odd turns were developing my infrastructure: the thing about these naval maps is that the cities start off pretty poor, but end up turbo-charged with all those 10-yield tiles. Founded 5 cities, full liberty, Pyramids, GL, HS, ND, PT. A slight complication when I discovered no Aluminium, but I had a huge amount of oil, so I build a couple of aircraft carriers to deliver my bombers until I could conquer some. Kill order was Berlin, Paris, Mecca, Athens, Moscow, Karakorum, Beijing. Luckily Wu conquered Thebes on turn 308, which shaved off a few turns.

Thinking about it, the fastest way would probably be a frigate rush. If you built GL and the Oracle, they'd spawn a GS by the time you'd teched Education. You could bulb Astro off the PT as usual and get Navigation by about turn 110. Then you'd need some iron, which you could get by settling the 6-iron island to the North. Ideally, you'd promote some triremes, but those promotions are very expensive, so you might have to hard-build at least a couple of your frigates. In any case, it would be a bit of a slog, but you could probably win in under 200 turns. No doubt somebody will be along soon to show us how it should be done.

Game date: 1934AD
Turns played: 354
Base score: 1853
Final score: 2647
Time played: 15:24:00

I have been trying to beat a King game with Japan, so I was very excited to play this GOTM. I ended up kicking Bismark to a single city, then took some frigates out to wrest capitals from France, Arabia, Egypt, and China. My ground troops kept getting eaten; made for a very lengthy set of wars.

Khan kept talking smack, and Alex wanted me to declare on Cathy with him. That suited me fine, I was hoping to roll through Khan and have Alex take Cathy's Cap so I could take his with his units too far away. Khan went down hard, but Alex couldn't make headway with Cathy.

This was my first time stockpiling GSs for later techs. When I saw I had enough GSs to hit Stealth, I went ahead. First time using Stealth Bombers as well, wow! With those and a couple of mech infantry, I was able to take Moscow. Alex, although his stickes were 25% pointier than mine, gave up Athens without a struggle.

My frigates quickly got enough promotions to grab the extra range, which meant significant offshore bombardment. I waited 15-20 turns without making peace with Egypt just so my frigates could pelt him and earn experience. Was well worth it, controlling the seas really made things much easier.

I am interested in seeing G&K to see how the AI handles these kinds of maps as well as naval battles.

thanks for the game, I really enjoyed it, and got my Odo win as well as a King win under my belt now =)

Kill order: Biz, Nappy (2nd attempt), Harun, Khan or Ramses not sure which fell first, I had 2 armies going at this time, Wu, Alex and Cathy. No RAs despite building PT, for GS mostly but also to deny it. I have hoarded my cash properly so when I finally bulbed rifling I could upgrade 10 or 11 rifles at once. I got the force balance wrong, with Harun, Rams, Wu and Alex being overwhelmed by 1st army, while Genghis and Cathy were much stronger then me. I had to wait to combine armies to take Cathy on otherwise she would tear me apart. After starting a war with Alex just to get my navy to Moscows soft underbelly, I messed up and took his peace deal before I moved my navy. So I landed on north shore and took over Petersburg first and assaulted M. With ground forces.

All caps assaulted with ground/ amphibious forces, minimal naval support. I know it's backwards but I wanted to use Samurai, and capitalize on the fact that with just barracks you can get amphibious infantry so early in the game. Btw you don't need to build Sams, just SM if you have steel already. Then upgrade on 1st turn, promotion gets saved and next turn you have amphibious infantry.

Very fun map, too bad i couldn't execute properly. Might even replay it to see how fast a pure frigate play would work. Seems like GP points go up when getting free GPs now or was it always like that and I just never noticed?

DOMINATION VICTORY
Turn = 155 (900 AD)
Score (HOF) = 3229

Turns 118-155
On turn 118, two Frigates and two Triremes set sail to Mecca, supporting our one Warrior. They bombard the city (important lesson: if you have a Frigate with a hitpoint missing, the AI won't shoot at your Triremes) and our Warrior wanders in victorious on turn 125. :)

Now that we have 4 Frigates, two of them with logistics promotion, we head for France. It has the Great Wall, but also the Great Lighthouse which we definitely want to control. Paris falls 8 turns later, again to our lonely Warrior.

Here our fleet is split: two Frigates go east to Egypt, the other two west to China (a Pikeman from Satsuma is already looking for the best route). Each has one of the logistics Frigates.

Meanwhile, a second Great General spawns in Osaka and gathers an army of Trebuchets and Samurai. We declare on Germany as well. They have lots and lots of units, mainly Archers and Landsknechts but no less than 3 Triremes at Berlin as well; it will take a while to wade through. :mischief:

The Egypt detail quickly conquers Thebes and then heads for Greece and finally Russia, where a Samurai from Osaka is waiting. The China command eventually meets our only Rifleman (promoted Samurai) from Kyoto. There is little opposition on the ocean; Greece have a Caravel in Athens but we can hide our Great General and our Warrior behind the Frigates. :)

Kyoto generates another Great Scientist which we use to bulb Rifling, but it's not really needed.

Conquest
125 Mecca
133 Paris (Great Lighthouse, Great Wall)
141 Thebes (Stonehenge)
147 Beijing (Colossus, Pyramids)
149 Athens
151 Berlin (Hanging Gardens)
155 Moscow, Karakorum (Chichen Itza, Himeji Castle)

Allies
133 Tyre (Spices)
147 Helsinki (Cotton)

Policies
131 Trade Unions
149 Mercantilism

Kyoto
121 Seaport
124 Market
132 IRONWORKS
136 Observatory
138 Colosseum
139 Barracks
142 Armory
146 Frigate
148 Samurai
149 Great General #3
151 Frigate
153 Frigate
155 Aqueduct

Technology
118 Currency
124 Machinery
130 Steel
135 Physics
141 Gunpowder
150 Metallurgy; Rifling (GS)
155 Printing Press

---- THE END OF VANILLA ----

2007AD domination. :cool: I was almost ready to give up on Domination after the modern age... my conquest was seeming really slow and I was afraid I would lose by culture or space unless I went for one of those myself.

Not to worry... just kill the culture threats first and the tech leaders next. Taking even just one city really seems to put them out of the game in terms of competition. Nobody could even afford CS's.

Lets see... iirc it was Bismark first by Cats/samurai. Then Arabia with the same. Then Greek with cannons/muskets. Then China, but I only got Shanghai (with many wonders) and fell short on the capitol, which is why I was worried about finishing the Dom. tHEY HAD A CARPET OF DOOM WITH CHO-KO-NU'S AND i COULDN'T SEE THEM (ICONS DISAPPEAR AFTER THE PATCH, FOR WOUNDED UNITS!!!) China got equal tech and killed enough of my forces and it took too long to reinforce.

So went after France next, then Egypt, then I was far enough ahead to take down China (bombers/arty/inf), finally a cakewalk in Mongol to be able to reach Moscow with nukes... but needed to take two russian cities first. Ended up using 3 nukes on MOscow vicinity, but didn't really need to, it did shave at least 5 turns from my victory date, though. More important, it was satisfying to nuke Cathy.

One question: Why do they never learn that I am lying when I say my units are just passing through? They should just declare pre-emptively after I've done the same thing 4 times, imo. I guess diplomatically, the only relevant thing is how strong is your military. Hope G&K adds some twists to that.:king:

2007AD domination. :cool: I was almost ready to give up on Domination after the modern age... my conquest was seeming really slow and I was afraid I would lose by culture or space unless I went for one of those myself.
:clap: Congrats.

:)

Very impressive, kcd swede! :)

There does seem to go something wrong with the AI unit icons. I had them occasionally appear on the next tile instead of the tile the unit was actually occupying.

Date submitted: 2012-06-25
Reference number: 26508
Your name: Brigg

Game date: 1690AD
Turns played: 248
Base score: 1353
Final score: 2761
Time played: 6:36:00

Renamed file: Brigg_C503801.Civ5Save

I slogged it out with Germany for a long while, my swords had to return for Samuri upgrades when he was using the LK's.

France- Great Wall wasn't much of an issue, but a couple logistic archers were
Arabia
Eqypt was falling to China, but Peace broke out right when I was sailing by and they were removed.
China was an issue, I had no idea were the Capitol was, so I had to wade through every thing.
Fought the Mongols and Russia also at that time - Moscow was a tough nut.
Greece was supposedly fighting them also, but never left their island, leaving a carpet of doom for me to try to invade. None of my initial rifles survived, but the second wave finished it off just in time.

I did replay focusing on frigates, and managed to finish in 158 turns. Of course I had map knowledge and a feel for what AI was likely to do. This makes Ribannah's turn 155 win even more impressive. Both Egypt and China proved tough to crack, I had 4 frigates at Egypt and 5 (2nd fleet which arrived after taking khan, cathy and alex) in China which fell last. I did sell a couple of caps this time as opposed to holding onto all of them in original try. I could have held on to them if I kept the frigates around to fend off counterattacks. But of course it would slow me down even more.

Signed 1 RA, but ended up not needing it at all. Turn 120 navigation, and the same GS, HS, liberty tree pop to get 2 GE and 2GS in two turns. Took a bit of planning, that one ;)

My late land army took care of Biz, and it took a big army, treb, two crossbow, 4 samurai and 3 pikes led by GG. The reason, his GW and bunch of supporting triremes, and well executed counterattacks.

Invisible units occasionally happened to me too, but save-restart computer (the game alone might have been enough)-load the save worked to make them right again

I think a win in less than 150 turns is very possible with hindknowledge. My game was certainly not optimal (forgot about the Pyramids, for one), and I had bad luck with Beijing wanting Cotton.

I've given up. I had not got far, up to turn 120 with only Germany eliminated. Then came the patch and wounded units disappearing from view. It's hard enough on immortal without this hassle.

I think a win in less than 150 turns is very possible with hindknowledge. My game was certainly not optimal (forgot about the Pyramids, for one), and I had bad luck with Beijing wanting Cotton.

How do you guys use pyramids in this kind of a map. I have seen some else mention going for them. What is the pyramid opener?
:confused:

Pyramid opener is suboptimal. I should have built it later instead of making two Workers, then I would have had a third Great Engineer on the same turn along with the Great Scientist. I just didn't realize the AI hadn't built it yet.

Top Bottom