Most satisfactory win in the whole of Civilization

Using Ethiopia, emperor, in a 60-turn golden age (mwahahaha!), was tech ahead of everyone else despite only 4 cities, turtling comfortably with future units + UA and won on T314 - my fastest ever. GAK is so fun! :D

Spoiler this is what :

Spoiler this is how :

Also see this

Spoiler doubting Thomases :

Nice. Managed a similar thing in my first game, with a very wine-heavy start leading me to make a huge amount of culture and faith from Goddess of Festivals and Monasteries. Although I forwent the Utopia project (which I could've finished building sooner) in favour of getting the UN for a revamped Diplomatic victory. Every time a city-state wanted Culture or Faith, I basically had the quest in the bag!

By the end I had connived, bought and appeased my way to 20 votes between city states, a liberated Harald of Denmark, and a lifelong declaration of friendship with Siam. UN victory seemed fitting for Haile Selassie. :p

wow that's amazing. How did you manage to get a 60 turn golden age?

Buy GAs with faith and burn! Freedom finisher guarantees 12 turns of golden ages for each. While I was in the first golden age my cities generated GAs too, so most of them went into the 60 turns of power while some I settled. :)

Also, the power of interfaith dialogue - tech slingshotting allows you to build most wonders before anyone even got to the tech:

Spoiler capital :

Spoiler city 2 :

Spoiler city 3 :

I just had a crazy intense Freedom/tall culture victory in which at the end I ceremoniously launched a multi nuke attack on Bismarck who had swept my continent and was a menace all game. I like to think the world under my culture cleared up the post apocalyptic mess. I actually felt like playing more turns for the first time in my Civ life.

We talking about CiV specifically or Civ as a whole? Because unfortunately my most satisfactory win was in CIV :D

Buy GAs with faith and burn! Freedom finisher guarantees 12 turns of golden ages for each. While I was in the first golden age my cities generated GAs too, so most of them went into the 60 turns of power while some I settled. :)

Also, the power of interfaith dialogue - tech slingshotting allows you to build most wonders before anyone even got to the tech:

I'd like more insight into the tech slingshotting tactic with interfaith dialogue. I had some trouble with it with my scientific win last night as Russia. I really came from behind with hubble + great scientists + spies + insane production (upwards of 230) when building spaceship parts taking like only 4 turns. Could really improve game if know how to use interfaith dialogue

Please tell me that was with abundant resources, because I had entire maps that didn't have that many aluminum sources before. :p

/Nice win!

Whole of Civ. I've never felt so good about a victory before. :D
It's a tie between my first ever game of Civ ever about a decade or so ago (Civ 2, with teh Russians, Time Victory because I had literally no idea what I was doing. 10 years later, I still can't play Civ 2) or my first Monarch win in CIV. Screw that, it IS my first Monarch win in CIV.

It was a pretty awesome game. Continents, Huge, Epic, old Mansa Musa. I started on the west coast of a pretty round-shaped continent with, dig this, Montezuma to the north, Isabella to the north-east (both semi-blocked off by a really big jungle), Kublai Khan to the east and Huayna Capac taking the south. A religious warmongering freak, another religious warmongering freak, a backstabber and a psychopath.

Spoiler :

It was a very tough act, juggling between each of them. There was an attempt at an early rush from the Incas, but it was short-lived and ended with a nice golden ransom, otherwise up until the 8th century all was quiet. Both Capac and Monty to the north converted to my precious Confucianism, which angered Isabella quite a lot. The resulting war saw a lot of fighting between them without a clear winner, and even though Monty dragged me into it (foolishly I thought that by pretending to help him he won't attack me later on) I didn't really partake in it in any meaningful way. Kublai Khan, the other Budhist on the continent, didn't help Isabella at all for some odd reason.

But then Monty came for me as well in the early 700s, ignoring both my help (sort of) in his war against Spain as well as our mutual religion. It wasn't easy stopping his long, endless and unrelenting waves of macemen and horse archers, but in the end I managed to beat him back and eventually we settled for an uneasy white truce. Tasting blood for the first time and having already gotten the war-machine rolling, I was ready for him when he DOW-ed me again at the beginning of the 15th century, and quickly managed to capture 3 of his cities and wipe two others off the face of the map. It was at this point that a very angry Isabella came crashing down on top of Monty as well, and seeing his cities razed to the ground made him rethink his position on peace and stability. I waved his offers away until Kublai Khan DOW-ed me out of nowhere, that Buddhist son of a... donkey. An immediate peace with the leftovers of the Aztec Empire, Isabella still pressing on mercilessly, I quickly turned my attention to Mongolia, taking one city, negotiating peace to regroup, and then immediately declaring another war. Hopelessly out-teched, the Khan stood no chance, and could only watch idly by as I took all of his cities and left him with one pathetic isolated tundra ball.

Would have had that one too, if not for Capac, who chose to :backstab: me while I was up north. I was prepared for him though, sufficient garrisons in all my bordering cities ready to repel his attacks. A quick peace deal with the Mongolian city-state and a hasty march south later, I engaged the Incan forces and captured one of their cities.

By that time, only about a century after Montezuma declared his second war on me, Isabella finished him off, looked around for the closest blasphemer, who just happened to be me, and DOW-ed. I wasn't prepared for her coming after me this soon, and was caught completely off-guard, losing 2 Mongolian cities and one that used to belong to Monty.

It was by far the toughest war in that game. Fighting on both fronts, I managed to make peace with Isabella, while capturing 3 of the most lucrative Incan cities. After that, another race up north looking for revenge. A prolonged war resulted in me retaking all I lost, and I managed to get three Spanish cities and raze a forth one as well. My army never left the north in anticipation of a retaliation. Isabella raged, Isabella demanded, Isabella made ugly faces, but another war never came.

However, on the other side of the world Asoka had run away with the game, dominating about a third of his significantly bigger continent and already halfway done with the Apollo program. It was quite the tech race, and seeing that even after constructing the space elevator there was no way for me to win, I sent half a dozen spies over the ocean, who managed to continuously thwart the production of quite literally the last thruster he needed to build his space-ship for probably around 40 turns, until I finally finished my own in 1836.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Not long after I moved on to Emperor (first win with Frederick), for a while played on Immortal as well, but never did I have such an awesome game. Most of what I described happened within 4 centuries of constant warring, backstabbing, amidst political intrigues and religious crusades. I am not a warmonger, but that game was nothing short of amazing in my book, and with a fittingly devious ending as well. Even in its vanilla version the Espionage system in IV was not without its uses :D

EDIT: Oh, and Tokugawa got beaten to death on his continent, so he escaped on ours and settled exactly on the remains of the Spanish city I destroyed in the last war. I had already gone to two wars with him previously, albeit only on paper, to look good in front of the bad boys on the other side of the big water, but I never got around to exterminating him. He was just kind of cute, sitting in his pop 4 capital, looking at everyone else with disdain. :pat:

I'd like more insight into the tech slingshotting tactic with interfaith dialogue. I had some trouble with it with my scientific win last night as Russia. I really came from behind with hubble + great scientists + spies + insane production (upwards of 230) when building spaceship parts taking like only 4 turns. Could really improve game if know how to use interfaith dialogue

As seen in the capital screen, you need Great Mosque of Djenne (GMD) + holy orders to make the most out of interfaith dialogue. Wait for other civs to spread religion, then send in and spread but do not convert. Ever. But even if you missed GMD holy orders alone is already good.

On hindsight, it seems that medieval + renaissance + early industrial is the best time to abuse the missionaries like no other as the science gain relative to tech cost is the greatest. Late-game the beakers taper off but the "damage" to other civs is already done - I got radio 50 turns before you, I got all the wonders while you barely scratched the tech, I got me research labs so early that even if you DOW me and stop my missionaries, I would survive simply on my beakers and GPs alone. Whatcha gonna do? :lol:

Please tell me that was with abundant resources, because I had entire maps that didn't have that many aluminum sources before. :p

/Nice win!

Patronage SP, double resource, I had about 6 CS, as you can see in the screen Lhasa and Lisbon have 2 aluminium mines each so that's about 20 aluminium alone. :)

It's a tie between my first ever game of Civ ever about a decade or so ago (Civ 2, with teh Russians, Time Victory because I had literally no idea what I was doing. 10 years later, I still can't play Civ 2) or my first Monarch win in CIV. Screw that, it IS my first Monarch win in CIV.

It was a pretty awesome game. Continents, Huge, Epic, old Mansa Musa. I started on the west coast of a pretty round-shaped continent with, dig this, Montezuma to the north, Isabella to the north-east (both semi-blocked off by a really big jungle), Kublai Khan to the east and Huayna Capac taking the south. A religious warmongering freak, another religious warmongering freak, a backstabber and a psychopath.

It was a very tough act, juggling between each of them. There was an attempt at an early rush from the Incas, but it was short-lived and ended with a nice gold ransom, otherwise up until the 8th century all was quiet. Both Capac and Monty to the north converted to my precious Confucianism, which angered Isabella quite a lot. The resulting war saw a lot of fighting between them without a clear winner, and even though Monty dragged me into it (foolishly I thought that by pretending to help him he won't attack me later on) I didn't really partake in it in any meaningful way. Kublai Khan, the other Budhist on the continent, didn't help Isabella at all for some odd reason.

But then Monty came for me as well in the early 700s, ignoring both my help (sort of) in his war against Spain as well as our mutual religion. It wasn't easy stopping his long, endless and unrelenting waves of macemen and horse archers, but in the end I managed to beat him back and eventually we settled for an uneasy white truce. Tasting blood for the first time and having already gotten the war-machine rolling, I was ready for him when he DOW-ed me again at the beginning of the 15th century, and quickly managed to capture 3 of his cities and wipe two others off the face of the map. It was at this point that a very angry Isabella came crashing down on top of Monty as well, and seeing his cities razed to the ground made him rethink his position on peace and stability. I waved his offers away until Kublai Khan DOW-ed me out of nowhere, that Buddhist son of a... donkey. An immediate peace with the leftovers of the Aztec Empire, Isabella still pressing on mercilessly, I quickly turned my attention to Mongolia, taking one city, negotiating peace to regroup, and then immediately declaring another war. Hopelessly out-teched, the Khan stood no chance, and could only watch idly by as I took all of his cities and left him with one pathetic isolated tundra ball. Would have had that one too, if not for Capac, who chose to back stab me while I was up north. I was prepared for him though, sufficient garrisons in all my bordering cities ready to repel his attacks. A quick peace deal with the Mongolian city-state and a hasty march south later, I engaged the Incan forces and captured one of their cities. By that time, only about a century after Montezuma declared his second war on me, Isabella finished him off, looked around for the closest blasphemer, who just happened to be me, and DOW-ed. I wasn't prepared for her coming after me this soon, and was caught completely off-guard, losing 2 Mongolian cities and one that used to belong to Monty. It was by far the toughest war in that game. Fighting on both fronts, I managed to make peace with Isabella, while capturing 3 of the most lucrative Incan cities. After that, another race up north looking for revenge. A prolonged war resulted in me retaking all I lost, and I managed to get three Spanish cities and raze a forth one as well. My army never left the north in anticipation of a retaliation. Isabella raged, Isabella demanded, Isabella made ugly faces, but another war never came.

However, on the other side of the world Asoka had run away with the game, dominating about a third of his significantly bigger continent and already halfway done with the Apollo program. It was quite the tech race, and seeing that even after constructing the space elevator there was no way for me to win, I sent half a dozen spies over the ocean, who managed to continuously thwart the production of quite literally the last thruster he needed to build his space-ship for probably around 40 turns, until I finally finished my own in 1836.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Not long after I moved on to Emperor (first win with Frederick), for a while played on Immortal as well, but never did I have such an awesome game. Most of what I described happened within 4 centuries of constant warring, backstabbing, amidst political intrigues and religious crusades. I am not a warmonger, but that game was nothing short of amazing in my book, and with a fittingly devious ending as well. Even in its vanilla version the Espionage system in IV was not without its uses :D

EDIT: Oh, and Tokugawa got beaten to death on his continent, so he escaped on ours and settled exactly on the remains of the Spanish city I destroyed in the last war. I had already gone to two wars with him previously, albeit only on paper to look good in front of the bad boys on the other side of the big water, but I never got around to exterminating him. He was just kind of cute, sitting in his pop 4 capital, looking at everyone else with disdain.

Great story, really miss the globe view in CIV and it's a pity espionage can't sabotage production in CiV but still nice, Special Agent Wendimu killed more than 5 spies in the capital alone knowing that they will attempt (and unfortunately did) to steal techs. Sent the others to the other capitals and came back with reports of scientific eclipses :D

/Nice win!

you could also play as Russia... they get a bonus for resources, right?

Great story, really miss the globe view in CIV and it's a pity espionage can't sabotage production in CiV but still nice, Special Agent Wendimu killed more than 5 spies in the capital alone knowing that they will attempt (and unfortunately did) to steal techs. Sent the others to the other capitals and came back with reports of scientific eclipses :D
Notice something else however. Oh wait, you can't, the UI was off. I was investing 0% in research, all my income, close to 1900 gold per turn, was going into sabotages. Disrupting the production of those spaceship parts was indeed quite pricey, as in several thousand per attempt. If the espionage system doesn't introduce some sort of a cost, opportunity costs aside, it just won't work. I made a concious decision to put all my money into spying, in CiV to get the best out of espionage all you have to do is... nothing, you have everything from the get-go.

Which is why I feel the new system is half-backed tbh.

wow that's amazing. How did you manage to get a 60 turn golden age?

In my current game I have had a non stop golden age for probably well over 200 turns.

King/Epic/Continents/15 Civ/30 CS
Siam with a desert start, 4 cities only

STarted with desert folklore, got Petra built and ever since that city has been a wonder spamming dynamo, even without marble. Chichen Itza plus freedom finisher give me 20 turns per golden age. Gotten Golden Ages from reformation and representation policies. I have been given 2 artists from city states. 2 artists from Louvre. golden age from taj mahal. used leaning tower great person on an artist. And Im getting about 150 faith per turn (which could probably be pushed way higher if I wanted), so bought up through the 6000 faith great artist. And I havent even gotten my free person from liberty yet (that will be my final policy, going for cultural win). I only have half of the CSes at ally, mainly because Germany has a ton, and he has a ten tech lead and manhattan project and I dont want to provoke him (weve been friends most of the game). He just finished apollo program, but I am two techs away from sydney opera house, and that free social policy should give me the last one I need.

To make things even better, Caesar keeps throwing his units at my cities every 45 turns, then quickly retreating and offering me a financially rewarding peace treaty (latest one is 82 gpt)

oh yes, Petra is astonishingly powerful, I concur :)

Top Bottom