I spoke too soon...

Zaimejs

Emperor
On several threads here I have read and even joined in the conversations about the inept AI. Tonight I met my match. I was going to go to bed once I took Stockholm. It looked inevitable. I had 5 ships surrounding the city. I had three artilleries which had pummeled the defenses to dust. All I had to do was enter the city to a parade of Beautiful Grateful Swedish Babes, and then I could go to bed.

HOWEVER... I couldn't move to the city... my rifleman needed two moves... and my cavalry needed two moves... I couldn't get there because he had a ship and a stupid whatever his minutemen are in his city... no city for me.

He sank all my ships. He brought wave after wave of reinforcements... no idea where they kept coming from. But he was not willing to give up that city.

I finally quit at 3:30 a.m. when I saw a Great War unit vs. my rifelman. I can't beat this guy. Time to go back to the drawing board. The game was a lost cause anyway... once you get behind in science, the game loses its appeal. Although spying does help to level the playing field a bit. I wasn't planning on winning the game, but I did want Stockholm. Man...

Those Sea Beggars are not as cool as I thought. They just explode. It's like they are filled to the brim with gunpowder, and if they even see an enemy ship they whimper and fall to pieces. The two ships I was able to convert with them died the very next turn. Meh. Neat idea, but needs better implementation.

I found great Admiral's wanting, too. Only one power... and it's pretty lame at that. I was purposefully trying to put my ships in peril so I could heal them all at once... it never worked out like I wanted.

Best thing for trench war is the Great General and that Citadel. I could not take land at all without those things. Creep in... plan the Citadel, and move forward inch by inch.

No culture either... can't win without culture. Science+Culture=Better Gaming.

I found great Admiral's wanting, too. Only one power... and it's pretty lame at that. I was purposefully trying to put my ships in peril so I could heal them all at once... it never worked out like I wanted.

That seems like a bad strategy :lol:

I really like Sea Beggars, but I've found that they're much better when teamed up with Frigates.

I've actually found Sea Beggars and Privateers the two most powerful naval units in the game for their era. Once you tip the tide in terms of numbers with them you're basically going to double, triple your forces by the end of the war. I started with half a dozen Privateers and wound up with 16 ships at the end, including 4 Frigates and that doesn't count the number that were lost immediately after I captured them - AI loves shooting at weakened units. I think it's a matter of placing and where you engage with the Privateers more than anything else - near a city the unit you convert is sunk the next turn, out in the ocean and you pretty much get it for keeps.

Great Admirals are pretty mediocre to be fair, especially in comparison to the Great General.

If your spies are anyway decent and you're not too far behind catching up from Riflemen to Great War Infantry isn't that big a deal. I actually prefer playing catch-up, but to each their own.

If your spies are anyway decent and you're not too far behind catching up from Riflemen to Great War Infantry isn't that big a deal

Cannons up? pew. pew. pew. GW infantry dead. Or Pew. Pew. Rifleman.

I just got done playing another episode of my game. Man, it is hard to stop playing. The Maya have been really tough. We had this monster sea battle. Battleships and destroyer fleets on both sides, but mine had a carrier with two bombers. His fleet had city protection. I sank his ships and was able to start bombarding the city from the sea. Finally, I took the place, but it was a helluva of a fight. Now I have a small foothold on the other continent.

In the meantime, while that is going on, here comes the AI. The Maya send an amphibious invasion force to my continent. I see 3 BBs, 3 DDs, and so far 4 infantry divisions on transports. I have two subs on the way, hopefully they can torpedo a few of those transports. I know there is more of them I can't see yet.

Defending my cities along the north coast are two fighters and a bomber, one inf, and one tank division. So far, I sank two of the BBs with air power. My tank is running around on the railroads like a Bulldog, tracking those transports to see where the Mayans land their troops. I bet they are going for my capital.

I am also sending this monster marine amphibious force, to support my army on the other continent. Another carrier is going along with that group to drop off a couple of fighters over there.

My economy is crap right now. I may need to have many of my cities build wealth coming up. Some are building a few later game wonders, and my main production cities will produce troops, the rest I'll go over to gold production, and build wealth. Just too many units to pay for. Most fun I have had playing CiV to this point though.

Oh, I did make one oops. I have open borders with the Huns. I built a citadel to protect some of my troops from the Maya, it kinda culture bombed a few of his tiles. Ooops, so I got a diplo penalty. Hopefully it won't last too long, I was trying to protect myself. The Huns may have lost their capital by now if I hadn't of intervened. I hope they feel lucky!

One more thing, my idiot counter espionage spy, let two other civs steal refrigeration, on back to back turns. I wonder if that ever happened before. I wish I could fire the moron.

I found the Sea Beggars started becoming really useful once I got to Steam Power. I just cruised them around stealing Caravels and upgrading those to make a brand new metal army. It's a nice way of keeping them relevant after Ironclads start dominating the seas (which in itself is a nice improvement).

I found the Sea Beggars started becoming really useful once I got to Steam Power. I just cruised them around stealing Caravels and upgrading those to make a brand new metal army. It's a nice way of keeping them relevant after Ironclads start dominating the seas (which in itself is a nice improvement).

It gets better, I've captured two battleships now with my horde of Sea Beggars. You want to know what's really funny? I'm playing as England.

More seriously though - yeah, Ironclads are a great improvement in terms of naval unit spacing. Though I still wonder if the Submarine comes too early; you get it way before the Destroyer.

I led an attack on Philadephia where the USA was ahead of me. He also had great wall. I had artillery and riflemen, and he had great war infantry which kept on coming. I bombarded him with 5 artillery, but leading those riflemen into position to take the city turned out be a challenge.

So no more having a single unit to cap the city. I needed 3 riflemen to move in at the correct time. And even so my first attempt failed and I had to retreat and hold on till I could buy reinforcements. Which was great btw.

I've actually found Sea Beggars and Privateers the two most powerful naval units in the game for their era. Once you tip the tide in terms of numbers with them you're basically going to double, triple your forces by the end of the war. I started with half a dozen Privateers and wound up with 16 ships at the end, including 4 Frigates and that doesn't count the number that were lost immediately after I captured them - AI loves shooting at weakened units. I think it's a matter of placing and where you engage with the Privateers more than anything else - near a city the unit you convert is sunk the next turn, out in the ocean and you pretty much get it for keeps.

Great Admirals are pretty mediocre to be fair, especially in comparison to the Great General.

If your spies are anyway decent and you're not too far behind catching up from Riflemen to Great War Infantry isn't that big a deal. I actually prefer playing catch-up, but to each their own.

I pirated an Aircraft Carrier.

:lol:

I pirated an Aircraft Carrier.

:lol:

Hahaha. You sir have won the game.

However, the question on everybody's mind is - did you capture the Atomic weapons stationed on it as well?

Hahaha. You sir have won the game.

However, the question on everybody's mind is - did you capture the Atomic weapons stationed on it as well?

Haha, it was empty. I don't know if they were just out on a vacation cruise or what.

They most likely dumped their weapons when the Somalians tried to board them :p

I made a simultaneous naval blockade to two Hunnic coastal cities, and when things looked good, BLAM! Attila bought walls to BOTH of the cities, same time same turn!

City defenses went from about 20 to 33, my triremes and galleases got battered and retreated...

Top Bottom