TSG39 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG39 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- As a Monument Builder, did you prioritize any Wonders?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Just passed T100. Finished of liberty in the 90ties, grabbed colussus and chichen itza(lib GE), got beat to GL. Planted Thebes on the plains to the west and Memphis on the south east coast. Early priorities were exploring and fending of Monty(and still am). Probably stick to two cities, no real good spots that intrest me very much remain.

I have noticed that I've lost a bit of skill since last playing. Got my warrior and a archer killed early on and have only found two civs thusfar, ought to have found more by now. But it feels good to play again. Looking forward to playing with Sweden and the Celts in the expansion too, though I have not purchesed it yet.

I had a crash at T95 while off eating dinner, start of turn before I got to move anything, reloaded the autosave for the same turn.

First time participating in GOTM, also first time on Emperor.
I'm on turn 193, and I'm really not enjoying this game.
I've met Monty, Washington, and Alexander.

Teching has been horribly slow:
1) I don't really understand research agreement micro management.
2) Monty DOWed me around turn 30, and hasn't let up since --- no trading/RA from him.
3) Monty crippled Washington early which has left him fairly broke --- limited trading/RAs from him.

Alexander is completely dominating the game.
I've seen 3 or 4 notifications that an unknown Civ has lost their capital and Alexander is at 1737 points. :eek:
I'm at 426. :(

Screenshots in an Imgur album below.

First time participating in GOTM, also first time on Emperor.
I'm on turn 193, and I'm really not enjoying this game.
Welcome to GOTM. :wavey:

Please keep on plugging and best of luck. :)

Tried to make your screenshot visible above but failed, sorry about that. :sad:

I've done just over 250 turns so far. I settled on the hill and Monty DOW on me almost as soon as i met him. So i settled another city on the hill on the river between Sidon and Vienna both of whom were my Allies. These 3 cities have held Monty at bay for the whole game so far and this in turn has kept America in the game and Friendly as Monty has spread his forces to thin. I went Tradition for the Wonder production bonus and used the Marble and the Egyptian trait to Spam Wonders in Thebes. I think there are only 5/6 Wonders i've not been able to build The Great Wall, The Great Lighthouse, The Colossus, Angot Wat, Machu Picchu and Big Ben. I've almost completed the Patronage tree and have got all the City States around me and Monty as Allies but Alexander keeps trying to pry them from me. Everyone has denounced Alexander and he is Hostile to me but his war with Rome keeps him busy and he has now DOWed on India as well. I think that should keep me free to complete a Diplomatic Victory but will have to see.

t 135

Thebes was 2 N. nothing was there but by then I was committed. bought the forest tiles for some production. Anyway it was enough for Colossus and GLib. 2nd city down by the marble and all those cows has Oracle. third city by pearls and 4 th to fill in the space going up now. Could have more wonders, but didnt want to take the chance. National college after 2nd city.

I saw America vs Aztecs a lot, so I accepted DoF with America, denounced Monty and be killin' his units in the marsh most of the game. Made straight peace a few turns ago. For now.

Allied Sidon, have 4 units from him and built or bought 4 more. Odd to have one of the pointiest sticks in the game so far. Monty was even "Afraid" for awhile.

SP: Opend Honor, open Tradition, open Lib, worker, settler, monument+15 production, representation,legalism. Kind of a mixed up strat there, I will likely finish Lib for the GE, but I think its going to be just pickings from the other 2 when I need them, mostly going for Commerce and patronage natch. Probably will open Rationalism too.

@bharder, re micromanaging RAs

Dont sweat it. Yeah you can do some amazing things, but it's all about the fun. I take RA's when I can get em, tend towards learning the cheaper techs the hard way to keep my median high, and make sure I have a preferred path clicked on the Tech tree when they get close to filling out. No need to get intense about exact turn numbers to win. Of course thats why Ill never be a "Monster of the Midway", but its not that important to me.

Also being behind on score early is fairly common on Emperor and up, nothing to worry about there.

I resigned on turn 271. I just wasn't having any fun on this game.
Alexander completely dominated. He wiped out 3 Civs before I met them, and a 4th shortly after, and took his whole continent. He was also 3/5ths of the way to cultural victory and rolling in tanks around the time I got muskets.

Imgur album below w/ demographics and a couple of map replay screenshots.

Now in a 2nd war against Monty, I am sure there would have been more, but I bribed him early with some extra cotton he could not pay for anyway, to attack US to give me more time to develop.

It was a strange development for me . I got 5 cities, was planing on 6, last one by pearls but Rome just settled it. I lost both GL and oracle to Alex. When I lost oracle I was worried he is going to scoop HS from me as well so I went all culture for a while to finish liberty tree. I got both HS and PT as well as hard built ND and MP. Picked up SH and pyramids coz they were still there.

After 1st Monty war it was Washingtons turn to attack, breaking an Ra. I saw it coming, and fed him all my extra luxes, and Gpt, as well as rushing walls in Alexandria, by two whales, south of Sidon. He came with pikes and archers and was easily repulsed. In all three wars I made sure not to weaken my opponents too much as soon after they were at each other throats. Monty came close to taking A US city in both wars but never did.

Got my astro late, 120 or so and sailed a scout west and warrior east. Found everyone on other continent, but harun was already dead his possessions split in a three way partition by Rome, Russia and Greece. Rome is top dog, followed by Alex and Cathy. Ghandi is hanging in there helped by my warrior and worker shielding his cap the best they can, but he is on his way out. Has one more city, I might build him one on some island to keep him around.

I also bribed Alex to Dow Rome to help ghandi out, but since he was also fighting India it was a very interesting dance. Alex has GW, India HC but will lose it to Rome most likely. I had more luck blocking Rome later when Ghandi was down to one city, with 1 tile chokepoint. i kept him round till t230 for last RA, as soon as i removed my worker he was gone in two turns. I did have a backup settler in case Rome's amphibious assaults paid off but never needed him, and did not settle him for myself either.

I have RA with everyone except Monty, even though I expect US to break theirs again. Got to keep trying. If I had a higher army rank that might keep him away, but I don't . I am 3rd in score and 2nd in science, behind Rome. Have ok $ and very good Happiness. So far so good, waiting for Alex to go psycho.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ5ScreenTSG39.jpg
    Civ5ScreenTSG39.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 467
Groaned when I first saw Monty near me.

Made friends with Washington very early on, which endured for a very long time.

Wanting to forestall the Aztecs & U.S. from expanding towards me, I settled Memphis on that riverside hill near the lake. Easy access to cotton and gems, and pretty defensible against the inevitable Aztec invasion since:

1. Was on a hill
2. Defended by a river
3. Lake blocks one hex
4. Two marshes (on the riverside) slows down attackers

When I founded Memphis, I also paid Monty immediately to DoW America, hoping it would keep him occupied. Waste of money because he still sent his army towards me and DoW'ed a few turns later.

I panicked a bit when his army completely bypassed Memphis and headed towards Thebes. However, poor tactical decisions (sending only 2 Jaguars at a time) meant that I eventually took out his entire 5 or 6 Jaguar army.

Sued for peace and even got a successful RA to trigger with Monty until he attacked again, this time at Memphis, which I fended off.

Got most of the wonders. Washington grabbed the Great Lighthouse and Great Wall very early. Augustus took Colossus (I might have been able to beat him but I prioritized the Hanging Gardens instead).

Been spending most of the game broke, constantly selling all my resources to sign ridiculous numbers of RA's. Besides 2 or 3 steadfast CS allies, I don't have the cash to get any more (even with Patronage filled out).

When first discovering the other continent it was interesting - no clear runaway leader. Harun was getting slapped around like a camel-haired stepchild but everyone else was fairly evenly matched.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

xiziz got beat to the Great Lighthouse.

Cowhead got beat to the Great Lighthouse, Great Wall, and Colossus.

I'm curious if the same leaders built those (Washington and Augustus). Some of it does make sense given their flavors and traits.

Currently on t120. Like everyone else, monty DoW me very early but I already had 2 warriors and a war chariot at this point - as well as an ally in Belgrade which gave me a another unit just after monty's DoW. I killed 4 of his jaguards and then got a peace treaty as well as about 200g from him after only about 10 turns of war :).

I built a worker and settler immediately and already had Memphis set up as in the screen shot. My plan is to use memphis as my wonder producer as it has 3 cattle for production, marble for wonder production and general production, and the 2 fishies for more production once I get harbor and seaport.

Next I built another settler in capital and then went GL (which I got) and used the free tech to get currency for markets.

I used this settler to found heliopolis in its spot as in the screenshot, and discovered that monty already had a settler in this exact spot. Luckily I brought along a warrior so I declared war on him and took his settler and settled for myself :)

A couple of turns later I got another peace treaty out of monty for some more Gold which I used to buy a catapult and upgrade my warriors to swordsman.

Hanoi had given me a quest to eliminate Vienna, so I took this opportunity to do that and gain another militaristic ally. Now I don't have to worry about producing units and can focus on infrastructure and making that cash money.

I also was able to get Colossus in Memphis, so things are looking pretty good for me.

Gonna get my happiness back up and take out monty with the help of America so I don't have to deal with his the rest of the game.

Spoiler :

Good luck

Montezuma is a pain in the ...
He's killing my patience... Dowed 4 times, I'm turn 200...
But now he's too powerful and I won't be able to eradicate him from the surface of the earth...
And Alexander is far away...

I took 2 of his cities, but on the second he came back with a powerful army
therefore I decided to ask for peace and sell him this very city for 1500G...
was it a good idea ?

Ah guess what? 20 turns later, he DoWed the 4th time.

Top Bottom