New Wonders!

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Update: Click to vote for your favorite world wonder suggestions from this thread. Please read the guidelines and consider your choices carefully. :)

Discussion of national wonders / projects is taking place further along in this thread.

National Wonders / Projects
Spoiler :

World Exhibitions
  • Bonus stays as long as no other civ builds it, mostly local city yields boosted.
  • Production cost grow every time you build it. I.e. the first one is 200 , each additional is 50 more. This count is per civ which means that a lagging civ can build them much cheaper.
  • The proposed list so far goes World Exhibition (culture), Worlds Tallest Building (gold), Worlds Longest Bridge (production), Olympic Games (city states like you), Largest Prayer Site (faith), World Cup (happy).
World's Tallest Building
  • Source of pride for owning civ, sign of financial success.
  • Gold and culture bonuses. Stops providing benefits when another player builds a World's Tallest Building.
Holy Palace
  • Based on landmarks like the Potala Palace and Apostolic Palace, the Holy Palace is a center of faith for a religion. It may contain apartments, government offices, private and public places of worship, museums and libraries.
  • Requires temples and gives faith and/or culture bonuses.
Revolution
  • Based on the french revolution, looks like guillotine.
  • For x turns a growth bonus in all cities. Provides culture / science.
Great Horde
  • Based on the mongolian horde, but who said it had to be mongolians, any culture given enough horses might have done this.
  • Attack bonus to mounted units.
Cold War
  • Must be at war, on construction a peace is enforced, you and your enemy(s) get increased build rate to nuclear missiles. Build rate stops once war is declared on either of you. Looks like ICBM silo, gives defense bonus to the city it's built in?
Great Leap Forward
  • Physical building is statue of Chairman Mao.
  • Increased production in all your cities for X turns, and lower science. Provides a permanent production bonus in the city it was built?
Great Patriotic War
  • Military statue (maybe Stalin).
  • For X turns all military units produce faster. Some permanent boost to military units (pride for the motherland).
Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI)
  • Based on the program proposed in the 1980s to use ground and space-based systems to protect the United States from attack by strategic nuclear ballistic missiles.
  • Greatly lessens or negates the the city damage, city population loss, unit health loss, and appearance of fallout for any nukes dropped anywhere in the civ's borders.
National Theatre/Auditorium
  • Based on the Globe Theater.
  • Requires theaters, unlocks around the Renaissance, and adds happiness and culture.
National Gallery
  • Unlocks with and requires amphitheaters, and adds a % culture bonus to the city.
Public Administration
  • Unlocks in the early Medieval period and requires Aqueducts. Gives food and/or 1 free policy to all cities.
Internet
  • Possible bonuses could be culture and/or great person bonuses in all cities, learn techs known by other civs, or steal technologies faster.

Oooh, this sounds interesting!

Here are my suggestions:

Göbekli Tepe or Nazca Lines

Both wonders are of religious significance, the Nazca Lines are mysterious and enigmatic, whereas the Göbekli Tepe, which predates agriculture, is the oldest discovered religious site in the world. Either of them could take the effects of the Stonehenge, allowing it to return to a culture focus, which in turn frees up the Terra-Cotta Army, allowing us to give it an ability that may seem more appropriate (I mean c'mon, thousands of stone soldiers and it just gives culture?)

Churches of Lalibela

Filling a gaping hole in the African Continent, the Churches of Lalibela are a marvel of architecture, human effort and faith. They are cut straight into rock. Assuming people are getting tired of Faith-Based wonders, this wonder could easily provide other bonuses, such as increased production when building wonders perhaps?

Temple of the Emerald Buddha

Also filling an area lacking in Wonders, is the Wat Phra Kaew or The Temple of the Emerald Buddha. It helps fill Southeast Asia (Currently only represented by the Angkor Wat). The temple houses the Emerald Buddha, which has been lent, given and plundered by the many Buddhist nations in the area since its creation in India (It was supposed to be given to Burma, but ended up in Cambodia, captured by Siam, disappeared for a while, found, then taken to Laos then finally captured by Siam again) . Arriving in the late renaissance/ early industrial, it is in a perfect position to give a final boost to faith. Keeping in line with the spirit of the Siamese Wat UB, the Wat Phra Kaew could make religious buildings provide science and/or culture.

Wall Street should return from Civ 4 as a national wonder. After all, we have the National College and Oxford for science but only National Treasury for gold. Firaxis should have included it through a patch or at least the expansion.

Wall Street should return from Civ 4 as a national wonder. After all, we have the National College and Oxford for science but only National Treasury for gold. Firaxis should have included it through a patch or at least the expansion.

National Treasury works more like Wall St did for Civ4 in VEM versus vanilla.

Maybe if it acts a little more like Oxford does (free tech, so like a free Great Merchant?).

National Treasury works more like Wall St did for Civ4 in VEM versus vanilla.

Maybe if it acts a little more like Oxford does (free tech, so like a free Great Merchant?).

An instant amount of gold opposing an instant amount of bulbs?
And if we do that, why not do the same for faith NWs?

Puma Punku - These ruins are estimated to be about 10-15 000 years old, but are constructed with modern skills. The blocks used are not only big, but cut with laser-precision. Also, it is often theorized that when a civilization has built something with megalithic blocks, they used logs to move the blocks. However, Puma Punku is located on such an altitude that there are no trees. Puma Punku lies outside Tiwanaku, an Incan city. When the Conquistadors came to the Incans, they had asked how they had built something like this. The Incans simply answered that their ancestors had found the place, but not built it. Because of the amazing skillset the builders must have had, and that the people thought to have built it only had chicken bones and stone tools to work with, this is a frequent subject among most Ancient Astronaut-believers.

Because Puma Punku is so advanced, it should give a high amount of Great Engineer-points, perhaps 3-4? And/Or give a bonus to Production/World Wonder-creation, since they now are very skilled builders.

Burj Khalifa - The tallest man-made building so far. Contains apartments, a hotel, restaurant, corporate suites and more.

No historical importance yet, but... It's freaking huge!

The tower could maybe give Food and Gold (Since it contains homes and offices) and Great Engineer-points.

I think three maximes should be important in adding them.

1) Better regional distribution. Not really important, but Civ is already eurocentric, one can find wonders from other parts of the world with ease. (even if I fail at that as well ;))

2) Good distribution over the in-game ages. In normal instances, (nearly) every wonder should be built within its timeframe.*

3) Going from there, each wonder should be significant. Late game wonders may be nearly overpowered (but not victory guaranteeing, see the CN Tower) as the game is ending. But they need to be worthwhile, "wonderous".

*special game conditions like small or duel games with conqueror civs as enemy of course not included. What I am trying to write is that for the "normal game" (say Standard Size, Continent, King Difficulty, normal mix of civs) there shouldn't be so many wonders that they don't get built or only built an era later.

The distribution at the moment is like this (Only world wonders)

Ancient Age: 6
Classical Era: 7
Medieval Era: 8
Renaissance Era: 7
Industrial Era: 3 (Ironic, as there's so many big projects here)
Modern Era: 4
Atomic Era: 3
Inromation Era: 3

So, there's quite a lot of wonders to be added to the late game, and I echo propositions like the Burj Khalifa, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Panama Canal, Empire State Building, Broadway, Hollywood or the Golden Temple (Sikh?) and from earlier ages the Spiral Minaret, the Giant Buddhas, Potala Palace and the Pergamon Altar. (I know, I've seen the opening post and the requirements there, I will do appropriate posts, but just not now)

I'm not doing a list of proposals right now, no time, but a few remarks I do make:
  • There's room in the ancient age for a wonder with the old Stonehenge effect (free 3 rings in city), it can conceivably be every wonder imagineable
  • The Terracotta Army comes too late as an early culture monster and is placed with the military side of the Tech Tree
  • One could add Free Pagodas and Cathedrals throughout the existing wonders.
  • I always liked the Colosseum as a wonders, but that means changing the name of the building

• There's room in the ancient age for a wonder with the old Stonehenge effect (free 3 rings in city), it can conceivably be every wonder imagineable
  • The Terracotta Army comes too late as an early culture monster and is placed with the military side of the Tech Tree

This is more or less what i'm trying to address with the first two suggestions (Nazca and Göbekli Tepe)

• I always liked the Colosseum as a wonders, but that means changing the name of the building

That's easily solved. The Colosseum of Rome was originally called the Flavian Amphitheater.

Here's a project idea:

World's Tallest Building: Source of pride for owning civ, sign of financial success. +5 gold, +5 culture. Stops providing benefits as soon as another civ builds a World's Tallest Building.

Instead of building a physical "wonder" add more concepts. Like "The Red Cross", which isn't really a building.
Common complaint is that the game forces you (with the racial bonusses) in a certain direction, if you want to be efficient. How about being able to "activate" certain bonusses with a concept / event.

Examples:
The great leap forward (dunno if it's possible, but it would double production in all your cities for X turns, and halve science). Physical building is statue of chairman mao. Provides a permanent 20% production bonus in the city it was built?

The great patriotic war (for X turns all military units are produced 100% faster). Military statue (maybe Stalin). Some permanent boost to military units (Pride for the motherland)

The revolution (based on the french revolution, looks like guillotine). For x turns a growth bonus in all cities. Provides culture / science.

The great horde (based on the mongolian horde, but who said it had to be mongolians, any culture given enough horses might have done this) 20% attack bonus to mounted units (until they become armored cav?)

The cold war (must be at war, on construction a peace is enforced, you and your enemy(s) get a 100% increased build rate to nuclear missiles. . Build rate stops once war is declared on either of you). Looks like ICBM silo, gives a 20 points reinforcement to the city it's built in?

Well, you get the idea :) There are thousands of events in history that can be adapted, each possibly as monumental as the next.

How about "negative" wonders? e.g.: Get a certain population density and voila, The Plague: lose 40% of your city population in one turn, with some chance of it to spread to other nearby cities. Settle too close to a mountain tile and have a sudden landslide destroy some buildings in your city. Or an earthquake event or tsunami for a coastal city to do the same? Finally, cross an ocean to a new continent and be the first to encounter the locals and "gift" their society a plague which has catastrophic effects. And in return your explorers bring home an imported plague from the "new world" to inflict on their home port city.
Although these are more like events than wonders, the possibilities are endless.

Firstly, these are not fun. Secondly, these are already in the game, as opportunities. And that's how these sort of negative events should be handled in my mind. Having the effects be produced by wonders or buildings is just the way there, they have preciously little to do with public works in a city ;) (I do think all of your ideas are good, but they're really for the opportunities section)

Here's a project idea:

World's Tallest Building: Source of pride for owning civ, sign of financial success. +5 gold, +5 culture. Stops providing benefits as soon as another civ builds a World's Tallest Building.

Good idea, though the greatness of the towers like Burj al-Arab or the Empire State Building are not only in their height, they're more of a symbol for their city.

The gameplay problem I see with it is that the last "tallest Building" to be built will be the one by the most backward civ, since the science leader will build the first one and has used up its slot... ;) But if we find a way to make them being buildable again if someone else builds it, we got a really nice concept here. The United Nations could be like this (so you can snatch away the vote for the builder), but also things like "The Olympic Games", "Red Cross Headquarters", "Longest Sea Bridge" and so on.

Really good idea, makes the modern age more fluid again.

Instead of building a physical "wonder" add more concepts. Like "The Red Cross", which isn't really a building.
Common complaint is that the game forces you (with the racial bonusses) in a certain direction, if you want to be efficient. How about being able to "activate" certain bonusses with a concept / event.

Not so sure, you can frame a lot in terms of buildings, if you want. And again, one can adopt the opportunities system to this way, by having a certain pool of events spawn more often if certain conditions are met. That would probably be a better way to go forward than buildings....

This is more or less what i'm trying to address with the first two suggestions (Nazca and Göbekli Tepe)

That's easily solved. The Colosseum of Rome was originally called the Flavian Amphitheater.

See, that's the problem, I didn't read it through completely. The other thing is that there are already Amphitheaters in the game and they provide culture. So are you suggesting to rename the wonder Flavian Amphitheater, that confuses people and Colosseum is much more famous. The other way round would be to rename the colloseums... See the problem? Or we need a new better name for the culture building which takes it further away from the base game... But I'm not really hot or cold on any of these options ;)

Going a little off on what your asking, this idea is for a early wonder.

Wonder bonus- +1-2 pop for all your cities. I always thought the pyramids bonus would gold based, culture and give a bonus to pop in cities. (thinking rise of nations...) ;)

I like the idea of introducing more "projects" if possible. I know either Civ4 or a few of its mods had plenty of those that I'd draw ideas from if it hasn't been so long since I've played them. Maybe "The Internet", "The Metric System", or something like that?

And definitely add to the late game, which as mentioned is sorely lacking in wonders. Just off the top of my head, a few possibilities could be the Arc de Triumphe (Industrial), the Burj Khalifa (Information), the Hoover Dam (For river cities, Modern), the Panama Canal (for coastal cities, Industrial), the Empire State Building (Industrial, I think).

Here's a project idea:

I like this idea but I think I would lower it to +1/+1 instead of 0/0. They remain points of pride and tourism long after they are no longer THE tallest.

I'm quite impressed that no one mentioned "The Motherland Calls",that can be a nice choice of World wonder on Atomic era,that have so few wonders . Its construction project is unique and it's a non-religious statue,which isn't something common for a world wonder of that type . One possible gameplay bonus that this world wonder can give is +2 :c5faith:/per turn for each city with a garrison .

I'm quite impressed that no one mentioned "The Motherland Calls",that can be a nice choice of World wonder on Atomic era,that have so few wonders . Its construction project is unique and it's a non-religious statue,which isn't something common for a world wonder of that type . One possible gameplay bonus that this world wonder can give is +2 :c5faith:/per turn for each city with a garrison .

An un-religious statue giving faith? Ain't that a bit unfitting?

So are you suggesting to rename the wonder Flavian Amphitheater, that confuses people and Colosseum is much more famous. The other way round would be to rename the colloseums... See the problem? Or we need a new better name for the culture building which takes it further away from the base game... But I'm not really hot or cold on any of these options ;)

We could also use the Italian name for the wonder and call it the Colosseo, or we could go for something a bit less orthodox and call it the "Great Colosseum" or the "Flavian Colosseum".

two things:

1. There's already a mod for The Motherland Calls, so you could use that as a base.
  2. If it's not a religious statue, why does it give faith?

Organizations are also acceptable, not just physical buildings.

Not sure what would be applicable to this, but there have been a few posts about wanting another spy early on. How about some National(or world) Wonder that rewards a spy, if it's possible.

Top Bottom