Paradox Inspired Diplomacy and Warfare

kgoodrid

Warlord
Many of you likely play Paradox games (Crusader Kings, Europa, etc.) in addition to Civ. Some of you have already talked about the following ideas. I just wanted to create a post to discuss the issue in greater detail.

G&K has improved the Diplomacy in CiV, but it still needs some work. Currently, Paradox games typically have the best Diplomacy model out of any strategy game, IMHO. Here is how typical Paradox diplomacy works:

1) Casus Belli: To start a 'just war,' a casus belli (Cause of war) is needed. This can include, based on the game, claim on title, claim on territory, religion, and a number of other issues. Declaring war without a valid casus belli will quickly drive up the aggressors 'bad boy' score, with serious diplomatic penalties, reputation hits, and other problems.

2) War Score: During a war, each side earns 'War Score' based on winning battles, taking territory, etc. During peace negotiations, the War Score determines who has the advantage. Getting 100% War Score basically means total defeat of the enemy. This War Score factors in all participants in the conflict.

3) Peace Negotiations: You can negotiate a 'White Peace.' This returns things to the Status quo ante bellum, ie: the state before the war. You can also demand concessions, such as territory or titles. The more war score you have, the more you can demand and the more likely the enemy is to accept.

This creates a fairly realistic, fun, and easy to understand system that is far superior to what we have ever gotten in a Civ game.

You also typically don't have 'All or Nothing Wars' or 'Eternal Wars.' In most games, you can't completely conquer an enemy even if you take all their territory. You have to do it over the course of several wars, typically.

Here is how I would improve CiV diplomacy, based on Paradox's system.

1) Casus Belli: You can gain this based on the following factors:
A) Enemy Civ settles near your borders ( say within 3 titles, ie: a city radius)
B) Enemy Civ moves units near your borders and will then refuses to withdraw (would require giving player demand, which AI already has...)
C) Enemy Civ attacks a protected or Allied City State.
D) Enemy Civ bullies a protected Civ and then refuses to stop
E) Enemy Civ spreads religion, then refuses to stop. Spreading to Holy City gives automatic Casus Belli.
F) Enemy Civ spreads religion, agrees to stop, then spreads again within X turns (Scaled to game speed)
G) Enemy Civ has different religion. Invalid starting in Industrial Era.
H) Enemy Civ attacks Civ with your religion.
I) Enemy Civ caught spying and refuses to stop.
J) Enemy Civ caught spying, agrees to stop, then spies again within X turns (Scaled to game speed)
K) Enemy Civ planning to attack (Discovered with intrigue)
L) Enemy Civ attacks a 3rd Civ that has Declaration of Friendship, Open Borders, or other treaty.
M) Civ with Defense Pact refuses to honor treaty (requires the option of refusing to honor)
N) Civ breaks any treaty early
O) Enemy Civ holds a conquered city or CS of your Civ

Each Casus Belli would only be valid for a set length of turns, scaled to game speed, in most cases. So spreading religion would give a Casus Belli for 25 turns. Capturing a city will give a Casus Belli for 100 turns.

Declaring war without a valid Casus Belli will give a major diplomatic penalty with all other Civs that know BOTH parties in the war. If you meet a new Civ, it will not care about the old / ongoing war. This penalty will be scaled based on the relationship between the two Civs. So if you declare war on a Civ that is friendly with a 3rd Civ, the penalty will be very high. If your target is hostile with a 3rd Civ, it will be fairly low. These penalties will stack, so if you declare war on multiple Civs, you will get multiple penalties. Penalties will expire in X turns, scaled to game speed.

Declaring War without a valid Casis Belli on a Civ that is Friendly will also incur happiness penalties at home.

2) War Score: Here is how War Score would be earned:
A) Damaging an Enemy unit = 1% (does not stack with killing)
B) Killing an Enemy unit = 10% (does not stack with damage)
C) Pillaging an Enemy Improvement = 5%
D) Capturing an Enemy City = 10%
E) Capturing Enemy Capital = 50%
E) Capturing all Enemy cities = Automatic 100%
F) Violating Peace Deals (See below)
G) Violating Borders (would require movement into enemy territory without open borders and require the option of declaring war over border violations or letting it slide)

Each side's war score is balanced against the other. So if you each kill one enemy unit, you each earn 10%, thus canceled out to 0%. If you each kill an enemy unit, and you capture one of their cities, you end up with a net 10% lead in War Score.

3) Peace Negotiations:
A) White Peace: Always an option. More likely to be agreed to early in a war. Reverts any captured cities back to original control. No other additions allowed (gold, etc.) Gives a small positive diplomatic boost (ie: "You were reasonable when negotiating for peace).
B) Cities: You can demand cities that you have conquered, based on the value of the city. If a conquered city is not demanded as part of the peace deal, it reverts back to the original owner. Cannot demand Capital unless Annexing (see J, below)
C) Gold
D) Technology, with later techs being of greater value than earlier techs.
E) Resources
F) Treaties
G) Convert Religion
H) Military Production: Disallow building new units for X turns (Great idea I am stealing from some other posters, good thinking guys!)
I) Adopt Policy: Force switch from one tree to another, ie: Order to Freedom.
J) Annex: Only allowed if you have captured all enemy cities. This eliminates the Civ from the game. Gives a negative diplomatic hit with other empires, unless defending.

You could do quite a bit with this system. For example, the Huns could add a 'Conquest' trait to their UA, allowing them to attack without a valid Casus Belli and not take any happiness hits.

I think that the above ideas capture the best parts of the Paradox system and modify them to fit within CiV. I'd be interested in hearing further ideas on this.

Seems a fantastic idea . If one of the main themes of the 2nd expansion is diplomacy,this cluster of ideas will make it even better . Possibly,I'd like to add other ideas as well:

- Spies have a chance to trigger a Civil war on city-states,if they fail to coup on that city-state . When in Civil war,the city-state will no longer provide its bonus and players can choose to,either support the main government or support the rebels(directly or indirectly) . Supporting the rebels directly is consider a Casus Belli for Civs who support the main government . Such feature will be avaliable when the first player hit the era after Industrial era;
- Players can create a Casus Belli when the first player hit the Industrial era . It'll take some turns in order to do it and if the player has Autocracy Social Policy,this time is reduced by half .
- Penalties of having a war without Casus Belli is increased,if both players had chosen the same SP branch(from Order/Autocracy/Freedom) . Autocracy is an exception here and players who adopted this Social Policy can DOW with minimum home penalties,but their enemies will also not have these penalties if they attack the player who choose Autocracy .

Seems a fantastic idea . If one of the main themes of the 2nd expansion is diplomacy,this cluster of ideas will make it even better . Possibly,I'd like to add other ideas as well:

- Spies have a chance to trigger a Civil war on city-states,if they fail to coup on that city-state . When in Civil war,the city-state will no longer provide its bonus and players can choose to,either support the main government or support the rebels(directly or indirectly) . Supporting the rebels directly is consider a Casus Belli for Civs who support the main government . Such feature will be avaliable when the first player hit the era after Industrial era;
- Players can create a Casus Belli when the first player hit the Industrial era . It'll take some turns in order to do it and if the player has Autocracy Social Policy,this time is reduced by half .

Good idea. The 'Create Casus Belli' would basically be like the 'Fabricate Claims' ability in Crusader Kings.

Here is what I suggest:

Fabricate Casus Belli (Spy Action): Has a chance to give a valid Casus Belli (lasting a short time, say 10 turns, scaled to game speed. If caught, allows victim to demand end of spying.

A couple of additional ones, in keeping with the times. These would only provide casus belli to civs who have entered the Information Era:

-Completing the Manhattan Project provides a casus belli to all civilizations which have already completed it.
-First use of atomic/nuclear weapons in a given war provides casus belli to all other civilizations.
-Any time atomic/nuclear weapons are used against a city it creates a casus belli for all other civilizations; length of casus belli stacks with each incident.

I would love to see this.

Great idea. One potential problem is the war score, because if you can demand anything from an AI with a war score of 100% then you may find yourself farther ahead than you should be, but overall great idea!!

war score is a Hidden feature in civ games.....

Sure, but not in a way that is useful or fun for the player. You don't even need to make it an obvious number, as in Paradox games. You could simply make it a rough estimate, ie:

100% = Total Victory
80% - 99% = Major Victory
60% - 79% = Minor Victory
..etc.

If this took into account all of the warscore modifiers I have talked about, the system would start to make sense. Right now, we have the AI surrendering in strange situations, or refusing to ever surrender, no matter what.

A couple of additional ones, in keeping with the times. These would only provide casus belli to civs who have entered the Information Era:

-Completing the Manhattan Project provides a casus belli to all civilizations which have already completed it.
-First use of atomic/nuclear weapons in a given war provides casus belli to all other civilizations.
-Any time atomic/nuclear weapons are used against a city it creates a casus belli for all other civilizations; length of casus belli stacks with each incident.

Fantastic ideas! These really make sense and would add depth to the current nuclear war system.

Great idea. One potential problem is the war score, because if you can demand anything from an AI with a war score of 100% then you may find yourself farther ahead than you should be, but overall great idea!!

True, it would need to be balanced. You should only be able to make outrageous demands (lots of cities, resources, gold, etc.) if you have basically conquered them. And there should be the possibility (based on the extent of the demands and personality of the AI Civ) that the AI will fight to the bitter end, warscore be damned.

An excellent idea though it would be difficult to mod because it requires core gameplay changes. Still a great idea...

I don't like this because it could lead to the Civ 2 and 3 "all civs declare war" problem which I didn't like suddenly having the whole world declare war on you is a bit annoying and would ruin any advantage gained with making nukes...

I don't like this because it could lead to the Civ 2 and 3 "all civs declare war" problem which I didn't like suddenly having the whole world declare war on you is a bit annoying and would ruin any advantage gained with making nukes...

The idea is that this would force you to really consider your options before actually using your nukes. Keep in mind that these actions would only give casus belli to a civ which had entered the Information Age, so if you're staying within an era of the AI civs then you can still potentially use your nukes to gain an advantage, you'd just have to do so earlier in the game. Also, the way I'm envisioning this is that casus belli does not automatically = DoW...it would be a negative diplomatic modifier towards your friends or allies, but would only lead to imminent war against leaders who were already hostile towards you.

Of course, indiscriminately lobbing nukes into enemy cities would quickly lead to every other nation in the world hating you, much as it would in a real-world scenario.

An excellent idea though it would be difficult to mod because it requires core gameplay changes. Still a great idea...

Not really, because it only gives a Casus Belli. Your friends might not care, or not care enough to attack you. Or a Civ might not feel like they can really do anything against you. A Casus Belli does not have to lead to war. It just provides a better system for setting up wars, and diplomacy.

This is exactly what I was looking for before I started a thread!

This would help with the some what ubiquitous 'warmonger' tag. In a recent game, I started next to Atilla & before long every man & his dog was denouncing & asking for war against him. When I DoW'ed him he still only had one city and I took him out. After that I was left with everyone denouncing me for being a warmonger! Needless to say the rest of the game was spent fending off whoever felt like crossing swords.

I understand that the warmonger tag is there for a reason, and I agree with it in cases where it works, but I don't see how taking out someone that everyone deems as a menace to the world should lead to you inheriting that title :crazyeye:

A CB type system could help distinguish between a 'just war' & plain aggression. I would relly like to see the diplomacy side of CIV beefed up & this would be a good start IMO.

Like the previous poster, I'd like to see penalties sharply reduced for "just" causes. When my neighbour starts a war with me for the 5th time (current game), I'd say that's a valid reason to finally thrash him without being the bad guy.

I love EU III, and would definitely like to see Vassals added to Civ; I know we currently have puppet cities, but it doesn't feel the same.

If you become a Vassal, you still retain control over your cities/areas, but resources are vastly diminished, roughly 50% or more of your resources being given directly to the one who is in control of you. You can either continue to play out the game as a Vassal, or you can try to earn your independence and reclaim your former glory. Additionally, if the AI things your too much of a burden to handle they can release you as Vassal. If the civ is conquered by another, that civ has either the choice of giving you independence, or retaining control of you.

Additionally; you could do the same to the AI and they have roughly the same options. They can choose to try and become independent, at which time you can choose to either quell the revolt through forceful or diplomatic means, or you could accept their want of independence, and obviously you can also release them. Further, you can choose which level of taxation you would like to apply to them; so you could only take something like 25% of their resources, or as high as 90% of their resources. The higher it is, the the more likely they are to revolt and demand independence.

While on the topic of EU; I wish the entire trade system was better in Civ, it seems relatively weak and I'd love to have something like an "Economic" win, not sure how it would work, but one of my favorite things to do in EU was to try and be as peaceful as possible, and just become a dominant force within the markets, and becoming an economic powerhouse. Specifically, I'd like to be able to assign a number of merchants to either city states or civ cities, and establish successful trade routes. The more high demand supplies I have and am able to offer, the more money I make and the higher my influence becomes. Of course, this could have an adverse affect in that if a civ deems I'm being too successful with the markets they can become hostile, so you would need to play a clever game of trying to make every one happy.

You could also force out other civs within the trading realm. Let's say you have a high resource of wine (luxury) and Iron (Strategic resource), and America has little to none of those; you could set up a decent trade line with America where you supply them with your excess materials, and they love you and you get tons of money. Than Greece comes along, and they have a bunch of wine and iron too; you could use different tactics in order to disrupt the trade of that market (similar to EU), using stuff like spies, or maybe blocking off their trade router, or just overflooding with your own merchants so that they don't have a chance to sell.

If all these features were added, which they should, it would give a much needed, and past due, reform/rebuilding of the civ series.

Think of a entire UN minigame with certain branches of policies, voting trends, embargoes etc.

Won't ever happen and have to hope Paradox is/or does start work on a civ game of their own.

1) It seems to me that other civs already recognize reasons for war, when their is one. Gandhi might hate you for declaring war for a land grab, but if you denounce someone for spying on you after you requested they quit, you can actually end up with a good amount of support yourself in that war. You just don't have to announce the reasoning for your war.

2) This already exists to some extent, but seems heavily weighted toward power rather than taking what has happened into account. Balancing this somewhat would allow the AI to more easily recognize when its tactics have failed it, however, and it won't keep demanding insane peace terms after losing 3 cities over 50 turns, just because it has a huge army being slowly slaughtered.

3) This already exists, except the "white peace," and it getting better with the patch.

1) It would be nice to get the option to demand war and army movement from the AI, and to be able to tell them to make their missionaries shove their holy books where the sun don't shine, but the AI already seems to recognize most of these things, and some I wouldn't want, like simply having a different religion, particularly with an arbitrary cutoff point (I know it's when great prophets stop being automatically generated, but that, in itself, is arbitrary, as well, and religious "wars" generally carry on well though the industrial age.) Other than getting the options the AI gets, I can't see anything that doesn't already exist and I can imagine adding to the game.

That includes the diplo penalties for declaring war, which seem very mild with a friendly 3rd civs that hates the enemy, when you declare with reason, and quite extreme in the opposite situation.

I can't very well imagine a flat happiness penalty for declaring war. It would be too dependent on culture. After all, not every civ is going to think spreading a religion is cause for war, and the peaceniks would want to turn the other cheek if you find out someone is planning war on you. Make love until they declare war, man!

2) I think some variation of what we have needs to be made. As it stands, current power is too important while the AI doesn't seem to consider at all what is likely to happen or the past, but your system seems to put too much on that. An attack that takes a city is likely to see many units damaged, or killed, but it is a major point in the war. We couldn't very well have a strong AI dominating a lesser opponent and then give up nearly all his lands and money, just because his units got nicked a lot as he took the enemy cities, though he has overwhelming power.

It would be just as bad as the AI sending units to the grinder endlessly but recognizing their superior military power and thus demanding 10 cities just because they have pointier sticks. Moving the problem to something different, a "war score," does not fix the problem of the AI having no idea the current state of a given war.

3) The "white peace" is interesting, but it can pretty well be done by simply offering conquered cities. I imagine the AI would be about as likely to use it as they would be to give you cities currently.

Needing to demand conquered cities would be just like keeping them most likely. Would anyone be likely to give back a city they conquered? You could do it for the diplo boost, but you can already do that anyway.

The idea of annexing seems like a peaceful way to eliminate a civ, or as peaceful as you can get to end a war. I can't understand it's use, since, even in the worst of circumstances, who would allow themselves to be annexed? It'd be better to get a pot shot off on their army of GDR's with a warrior rather than just lay down and die.

I also don't particularly like the tech, religion, and SP ideas. Religions should require faith to spread to a city with an established religion. Getting your religion all over as part of a peace deal seems odd. Tech trading needs to be there or not. There should not be a way to get it from war if it is impossible to get during peace, since it would push people toward war, which isn't the name of the game. The SP thing would seem to be only a way to hurt an enemy, forcing them onto a different tree in order to waste their policies. If you won a war, you've probably done enough damage.

How exactly is the casus belli system any different than what we currently have? I always declare war on people for one reason or another, wether it be religion, resources, keep other civs happy, or just pissing me off. This works the same with the AI.

Casus belli is just a flowery way of saying why ur going to war, but we already have a system where the AI says why there going to war with you.

We already have a white peace, your version is just changing the name.

I find war score is too one-sided with decisions.

We don't need to shove paradoxes systems into every other game.

It isn't. The idea behind the casus belli systems is to restrict warmongering in general and direct it towards historical scenarios (that's why it's in Crusaders Kings II f.e.). It's a top-down restriction of choices which doesn't seem to me to be the best way for civ who highlights "free-to-do-all-you-want" and favours going to war (in comparison to CK 2 which goes more for "manipulate-the-circumstances").

If they want to take down the warmongering approach for Civ 6 (not possible to mod for Civ 5 as I doubt the AI would understand such a propped-upon system), the casus-belli system is a good way imho, but only combined with reworked diplomacy. It would need...

... to be easy to learn (quite contrary to CK2 ;), also for AI!), hard to master (also for AI!)
... to leave many possibilities open (conquering the world has been a stable of motivation for as long as civ existed, that should be possible)
... to have more than one "best setting" (a choice of casus belli is only a choice if there are differences between the casi (casusses?)

I'd imagine a simple division of diplomacy score between attitude, honor and power whereas attitude differs from opponent civ to civ, honor is one single score based on your past actions and power reflects the big stick behind your talk. Casus Belli would be one factor for honor (=you can only conquer what you said you wanted at start of war).

Something else, one positive point I see of casus-belli systems is that it'd allow for minor skirmishes or raids as wars (= intention is not to conquer something but get a payment out of the other civ). That seems to be missing from civ so far.

This I do not care for..."Declaring war without a valid Casus Belli will give a major diplomatic penalty with all other Civs that know BOTH parties in the war."

We need to simulate infamy, in some way, for CiV. Like in Victoria II for instance, infamy does not affect diplomatic relations initially. Although, it depends on the diplo relations of your neighbors, with other nations, especially great powers. What alliances they have, if they are in a GPs sphere, etc. However, if you over do it and get past 25 infamy points, the world DoWs you.

Now in CiV you could simulate this via a happiness hit. Diplo penalties could also be applied depending on who you DoW and if they have a defensive pact with. Pretty much nobody declares an unjustifiable war with a civ that has allies. Of course CiV does not know what an alliance is. That should be changed. Alliances need to be added to diplomacy. Duh! That is the most ******ed thing about this game. Alliances are needed so friends have your back. Also, your enemies could have alliances, which means you would have to think carefully before declaring war.

In any case, you lose a certain amount of happiness if you declare war without a reason. Whereas if you are able to justify a war, then you do not take a happiness hit. I also believe that war justification should work hand in hand with espionage. There should be a chance of success in order to justify a war without getting caught. If you get caught you take an automatic happiness hit. Everything turns into a calculated risk. These rule changes would offset warmonger tendencies, where you can have peace for ten turns, and then DoW your neighbor again to finish him off. Peace treaties between wars should be required to last much longer. In Vicky 2 it is 5 years. Which is a long time. A lot can happen in 5 years.

The other thing they could do is add wargoals. Which would be interesting.

Things like conquest, demand concession, annex. All of these ideas could be worked into CiV, in some way, so it does not look like the devs are ripping off Paradox.

Prestige is another aspect from Paradox that could be worked in to CiV. These things can get complicated, but some of these ideas in a workable form could really improve CiV gameplay. The thing is though, the AI in CiV is a diplomatic nincompoop, so I wonder if the it could be programmed in some way to understand casus belli, white peace etc, etc. Sorry to say but I am skeptical about that. :)

Top Bottom