Ultima X - Battle for Brittannia!

Gen. Maximus

Warlord
After months of tolling, I present the return of the Ultima scenario to the Civilization series!

Based on the classic RPG of the 80-90's set in the medieval world of Britannia! The Ultima series from #1-#9 pits you as an outside hero Avatar that champion the cause of Lord British and his kingdom of Britannia. In this scenario, you play as Lord British with the Avatar and his companions fighting on your side.
Domination by 360 turn limit.
To be played on Standard gamespeed, designed and playtested on Deity on all civilization.
Always-War-On for all factions warring with Lord British of Britain.
Created on standard Civ 5 with Mongol DLC, tested on version 1.1.0.674(not G&K).

More descriptions and screenies at the Download Scenario section as shown below:

Ultima X - Battle for Brittannia download!

The story...
Battlecries are once again heard in the ancient kingdom of Britannia. Lord British has lost hold of his kingdom with the breakaway of seven city-states. Lord British who preaches the Way of the Avatar and its Eight Virtues is now under siege in the city Britain that is being attacked from all sides. The renegade states are under the influences of a rising movement known as The Fellowship and Britannia is not big enough for both. Once again, the Avatar, champion of Britannia is called upon to fight off the hostile forces against Lord British. Through the mystic Moongates, the Avatar has arrived in the spiritual holdout of Stonegate east of Britain to the waiting arms of his close companions - Sir Dupre, Lord Shamino, Iolo the Bowyer and their ragtag band of disciples who are still loyal to king and believers of the Way of the Avatar. The city of Britain, capital of Britannia is unfortunately sited on central plains of the kingdom meaning it vulnerable to be attacked from all sides. Paladins of Trinsic to the south, Rangers of Skara Brae to the west, Druids of Yew from the north and Tinkers of Minoc from the east are closing in, threatening the outskirt towns such as Paws and Cove. The royal regiment's strength is limited in numbers in Britain, can they stop or even survive the onslaught? Can the Avatar and his companions save Britain in time and even reclaim the entire kingdom back? All are in your hands.

Screenshots:

The central of your empire!

Are you up to the challenge?

Here at the hidden retreat of Stonegate, the mighty Avatar arrives into the world of Brittannia...

The impregnable fortress of Trinsic...

The holy Codex needs to be defended! And Lord British's Golden Ankh ship is trapped after dropping of pilgrims as the water passageway to the ocean is seized!

Horrid swamp of the Bloody Plains... but a place for harvesting rare reagents like nightshade and mandrake!

Another of your foes, Rangers of Skara Brae.

The forest Druids are one you do not trifle with...

I tried it (it works well when I disabled G&K and all DLC except the Mongols), and I must say that it's a really enjoyable scenario! I have two suggestions though:

1. I think you should disable Research Agreements, or significantly decrease the amount of science that can be gained from them. Due to increased tech costs, they allow the player (and the AI) to get much more science than from normal sources, and it is possible to get to quite advanced technologies within the mod's timeframe (only Lord British can't use them, because he's at war with everyone).
  2. Some civs have very similar colors - I mean the two dark yellow ones, and two red ones. Consider adjusting the colors to be more different from each other.

Other than the above, I like it a lot :)

Thanks A LOT for the feedback. Good to know it can work for those who have upgraded to G&K which I did not have. Now more can consider trying the scenario.
I didn't thought of research agreement effect as apparently didn't use it enough :p
If I have known, I might have reduce it effects a little. I sense you did not play as Lord British (LB) but instead the Druids :)
Currently non-LB civ typically takes about 80+ turn (except Mage) to research a tech available. Those playing LB takes about 30+ turns but LB can't do research agreement with anyone. I realise we can take this as a chance to balance up other civ against LB in terms of research pace. For those who is playing non-LB civ meaning one of the minor civs, perhaps this research agreement will be instrumental in helping you win the game as I did not expect the those to win in time in high difficulty levels. (I may be wrong here since I gave them lots of powerful units to take on LB :) )
Yes, unfortunately LB Bard civ and Jhelom Fighter race is almost similar but inverted, I overlooked that but won't be really a problem for those who is playing LB. I don't see two red civs, the closest to red I see is purple.

I meant the dark red ones, the civs based on England and Mongolia (I played as the England-based one, the Shepherds IIRC).

I tried it (it works well when I disabled G&K and all DLC except the Mongols), and I must say that it's a really enjoyable scenario! I have two suggestions though:

1. I think you should disable Research Agreements, or significantly decrease the amount of science that can be gained from them. Due to increased tech costs, they allow the player (and the AI) to get much more science than from normal sources, and it is possible to get to quite advanced technologies within the mod's timeframe (only Lord British can't use them, because he's at war with everyone).
  2. Some civs have very similar colors - I mean the two dark yellow ones, and two red ones. Consider adjusting the colors to be more different from each other.

Other than the above, I like it a lot :)

disabled G&K ???
How can I do that?
Please tell me.

Sound Interesting; bring back lots of good memory from the Ultima series. I will try that one.

Any game progress update from any1 who has played? Due to lack of time, I am only playing turn 30+ of the published version of the scenario. What I notice is the AI despite their massive armies in Deity level have not being able to take a single city from me yet unlike previous versions I created for Civ4 and before.
I see the next possible challenge is completing the game objectives in time. Despite 360 turns given here, sea embarked units are slow and you need to secure the oceans from the various seapowers to reach island objectives.

I first started a game at prince difficulty then reverted to warlord since I foresaw that I will be really behind in research since the AI can do research pact and you cant. First of all, I am still learning civ5 having bought it less than 1 month ago. Anyway I am a conservative player and play carefully my expansion.

Ok, that being said I first lost 2 cities that are hard to defend (Empath abbey and Paw) then I set up defence of what was remaining. It was easy to do because of the geography. When the position was secure I invaded cities on the same island of Temple of Codex since once you control that entire island it’s easily defendable with minimum troops. Next I took others islands around the first one. My plan is to first control all the sea then deal with the main continent, at that time I will probably have riflemen and cannon well levelled so it will be piece of cake.

The main reason why I didn’t try to expand in the main continent is because you are attacked from all side and if you try to push to one side you are attacked in force from the others. Maybe I didn’t develop my economy adequately but the lack of money was always at the doors.

Attachments

• Lord British_0204 AD-5441.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 200
Actually because of the larger total population of Britannia which is double of other civs, it will somewhat make up for the lack of research pact. You should get the first tech researched around ~30 turns. Except for Mage, I doubt AI could beat that.
Never thought of expanding from the islands first, was focusing on mainland. Good luck on your strategy! Securing Avatar Isle where Temple of Codex resides gives you some resource and luxury goodies.

Actually I started a new game at Prince and after the initial swarm of enemies and many lose on each side I managed to hold some line. I still do the same strategy except that I also work my way inland. Its seem easier at Prince than at warlord the reason is that I know better who things work now. By the I was surprised to see modern tech, are you planing to let them ?

Your rivals may have advance units of late medieval to mid renaissance era. It sure spice up the game! Your balistas vs cannon or horseman against lancer. But they are limited and with special names/identity.

Top Bottom