News: TSG41 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 41
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the forty-first game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Culture victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Theodora and lead The Byzantine Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Culture victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until September 2nd to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have out Mac players with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG41 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Theodora - Byzantium
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion saving is enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.1.705. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Theodora, you possess Patriarchate of Constantinople. You receive the choice of one more Belief than normal when you found a Religion.

You can train the Cataphract, which replaces the Horseman. The Cataphract is slower but more powerful than the Horseman it replaces, making them one of the most dangerous cavalry units until the arrival of the Knight. They can move after attacking and can gain defensive bonuses while their penalty in attacking cities is less than that of Horsemen. You must discover the technology of Horseback Riding and you need the Horse resource to build it.

You can train the Dromon, which replaces the Trireme. The Dromon attacks with Greek Fire, making it the first naval unit with a ranged attack. This unit fights at +50% strength against other naval units. though it cannot enter Deep Ocean tiles. You must discover the technology of Sailing and do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the four week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Sunday, 2 September 2012.

The Save can be found here.

Yay! That desert doesn't look very nice, might see if I can move my settler to the east a bit. I'll see what my warrior can see. Downloading now... :)

Awful starting location, probably will walk around a bit before settling. Seems likely though that everyone will build Petra in this game. Still don't like where the settler is starting and not really sure where to move it and the warrior first either. Probably the settler to the top hill first and the warrior to the bottom hill. Interested to see where people will have ended up actually settling their capital in this game^^

theres probably something nice to the east.
desert is not that much of a problem anymore when considering the pantheon desert folklore... I may settle in place, given 2 luxes visible and river tiles available.
then I would see if there is a good coastal spot for a harbor city.

It's going to be a while before I play this game, as I've got distracted by Legend of Grimrock, but once I do, I'll probably settle on one of those hills for the extra :c5production: ... but which one? I'll probably move the warrior south and if there's nothing down there I'll settle north, where all 3 resources will be in my inner ring. Desert folklore is looking promising.

I have no idea why folks are complaining about those desert tiles. Only 1 of 8 tiles is a flood plains, so the other 7 can be boosted by the Petra and 3 of those 7 can be farmed thanks to the oasis.

That said, I think I'll move the warrior to the desert hill to the west. I will likely either settle on the flood plains or on the ivory.

Since this is a cultural game and I can see wine, I think Cathedrals and Monasteries and desert folklore are the priority beliefs.

I normally play on king and am just moving up to emperor, but I am going to move the warrior NW and see what is up there. If there's nothing good, I may settle in place. I will beeline for desert folklore and Petra. Good luck to everyone!

im guessing that the "no dlc in this game" means no wonders of the ancient world and no dlc civs to be against? that will be interesting. i needed a good excuse to play Byzantines too and for culture vic. should help me get a better grasp of religion boosts.

Ok, with enough of luck this kind of setup could be finished under 270 turns. I will not go for GL on emperor (because it's too risky), but go for stonehedge instead. With additional religion belief the game should be easier.

It's a standard-sized mystery map [...]

What is that for a map type? Never heard of it... :eek:

EDIT: I'm especially interested in how big the landmass is supposed to be on that kind of map. On pangea e.g. I start with two scouts, on continents with one.

The point of mystery is so we don't know what type of landmass it is.

It's always a standard-sized mystery map! :scan:

It's always a standard-sized mystery map! :scan:
In this game you will play as Washington and lead the American civilization to victory. It's a small sized mystery map played at Prince difficulty and at Quick pace. Diplomatic victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until January 15th to complete the game and submit.
Not always. :mischief:

Going to move the warrior to the ivory then to either the wine or the mountain to the east. that will let me know if I'm hanging out in place or I might check the SE mountain of the settler to get a good view. I'll probably do a four city tradition/Piety then ? route could be nice. Two scouts mandatory for me because there is no indication It's island or continents.

i might settle where the warrior is for the oasis growth and what looks like a little hill/river defense from both sides. and probably go pottery to AH to traps. but thats after i take the warrior to the south hill and see whats on the other side. if i like it i might stay or move to hill north of me for the hill start.

since im never fast enough to make a top-10 list im tempted to try an OCC puppet-style culture vic just to see what one is like. emperor is tough enough for me to fail at a strategy im unsure of, particularly when i havent done any culture vics in GnK yet.

Top Bottom