News: TSG42 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 42
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the forty-second game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomatic. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Diplomatic victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Pacal and lead The Mayan Empire to victory. It's a small-sized mystery map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until September 16th to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have out Mac players with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG42 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Pacal - Maya
Number of AI Opponents: 6
Number of City-States: 14
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Small
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion saving, Complete Kills and Raging Barbs are enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.1.705. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Pacal, you possess The Long Count. After researching Theology, you receive a Bonus Great Person at the end of every Maya Long Count calendar cycle (every 394 years). Each bonus person can only be chosen once.

You can train the Atlatlist, which replaces the Archer. The Atlatlist is cheaper to build than a traditional Archer and available earlier without having to research Archery. This early game advantage allows other research priorities to come into play. You do not need to discover a technology as they are available to built at the start of the game and you do not need a resource to build it.

You can build the Pyramid, which replaces the Shrine. The Pyramid increases the Science and Faith output of the city in which it is built, speeding Research and the civilization's acquisition of Religions. You must discover the technology of Pottery and there is no prerequisite required to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the four week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Sunday, 16 September 2012.

The Save can be found here.

thanks lief.
not sure best way to use the long count... will have to think about it.
also, pretty grim starting spot!

guess a bit of wander right with settler away from jungle and left with the warrior.
the atlatist's will be useful for the barbs at least - will probably go honour opener once i have a couple to pick up some culture that way.

Interesting start. Since it is prince difficulty I am not too worried about the start (hope I don't eat my words). Since you get great people automatically with the Maya, you don't have to worry about making them yourself until late game. I think there is some religious action you can employ to make the jungle perform, so that is maybe the way I'll plan to go; religious and jungly. I'll move my warrior either South or East, probably South. I'm debating settling in place or moving my setter to that NW hill. Settling on one of those marshy tiles would give more river and clear a marsh, but I think the hill production will be important with all of this jungle around. Hmm, decisions decisions.

Just played my first game with Pacal (emperor, tech victory) on monday so should know how to play with Mayas. :) But like said above, the starting position doesn't look appealing, so probably will wander around more then usual before settling.

Just played my first game with Pacal (emperor, tech victory) on monday so should know how to play with Mayas. :) But like said above, the starting position doesn't look appealing, so probably will wander around more then usual before settling.

Tbh I don't think the starting position would be too bad if you get the +1 culture per jungle tile. You could use that for liberty mass expand which is good for pacals UB while still getting a significant amount of culture.

If that grasslands hill is also on the river I will likely settle there so I can save the jungle the settler is sitting on, otherwise I'll settle in place.

The culture per jungle pantheon might be nice to have, but it depends on what I see for the other city locations.

An ICS game might be fun, but with the small map size and higher than normal number of CS's, there might not be enough good city locations.

Before anyone asks, yes, I'm gonna play this one.

Just to make sure I understand: what does Complete Kills mean? Does it mean you can capture all the capitals without triggering Domination? Or does it mean that when you capture the last city, the units linger on as stateless revolutionaries?

Complete kills means you have to take all the cities and kill/capture all the units of an AI to eliminate them from the game. A few month ago, I was playing a complete kills game as America and had left Spain with a single great general that the AI had tossed into the water when I was about to capture their last city. So for the rest of the game Isabella kept denouncing me and complaining to me. It was quite funny.

The good thing about complete kills is if, like in my example above, you leave a unit wondering around, preferably a civilian, when you take out a civ, you won't get the huge warmonger hit for wiping them out. You'll still take a pretty big hit for taking their capital and all their other cities.

1st gp from the UA :

Pangea--->great scientist
Others--->great admiral

Me think. :)

A little tip: Every GP from The Long Count will increase the GP counter (excluding GG and GAd, but including GPro), so plan you teology research with caution :). Also, when you received all types of GPs from The Long Count it starts over - so you will be able to receive every GP for a second time.

Was ready to go - nah, not this month. Then you dropped the difficulty level!

I'm happy at Prince and always win easy. Maybe not this time. Poor start and hard victory condition (for me!) with lots of CS to manage. May move west down the river valley looking for a better site and use GP to start quick religion with Papacy bonus to CS loyalty.

well later in the game you can get some science boost from jungle tiles and trade posts might help with buying alliances but that still looks like a tough start, at least a slow one.

im not sure what the point of Complete Kills enabled is when its Diplo vic for this but that will be fun as I never use that option.

i might just settle in place then move the warrior to the NE jungle to get him to the open terrain. i might go wandering too.

Looks fun I'll get started tonight after work! game plan = tradition->piety->whatever. And above all else kill austria asap as I'll need those city state's love.

started this yesterday allready, may I point out:
Raging Barbs are enabled

wanted do a lp video anyway, plan was a deity one, now it ll be prince one.
I am ready for all the bashing for my playstyle :crazyeye:

1. session been like untill turn 50 - then Video stoped and it was time for bed :)

Will try upload tonight and play another session

f I have G&K installed, do I need to disable DLC or is that already taken care of in the save?

f I have G&K installed, do I need to disable DLC or is that already taken care of in the save?

Nope. You can directly play without a problem :)

Hmm. I'd better get a move on with TSG41.

I have played one game as Pacal. The Long Count thing is a bit peculiar. You can only take each great person once, and of course some are more useful than others, and they push up the number of GPPs you need for your GSs. So should you try to get theology as early as possible (when each turn is worth a lot of years), take a GS and settle him, then a GE for one of the mid-game wonders? Or should you try to delay theology to avoid pushing up the GPP counter with useless great people?

And what a terrible starting position! We're surrounded by swamp and jungle. I'll probably settle in place, then I can least clear the jungle from the hill I'm on. Somewhat tempting to try moving the settler east to find a better location, but if there's nothing there, the delay will be horrendous.

Thanks for the game!

I don't think I'll be settling in place. Rather, I'm going to move my two units to the NE and see what's happening there. I'm definitely going to start with Honor as my first SP and then move to Tradition. After that, I'll have to see where I'm at in the game.

Hopefully, I'll get this one done and not leave it hanging like I did with TSG40.

Update (12:46PM): Question. Can anyone tell me how, when I submit my game, I can see my playing time. When I submitted TSG41, my playing time was shown as N/A. Is there a setting or something that I have to go to to do this? Thanks.

Top Bottom