Civ 5 needs a Canal Improvement.

jaideniv

Chieftain
I think workers should get a new improvement - the canal improvement. It could be unlocked at a later technology (engineering, for example), and I think it's a very necessary addition.

Think about it. You're playing on a map and you want quick access to both sea sides of the land. But the only way to do that is if you build a city on the 1 hex of land between the sea. You waste a settler in the process. You give up on improving necessary resources, in favour of placing a city on the single land hex rather than near the resource you want to improve. You add to unnecessary increased culture cost of new policies, you increase unhappiness and it potentially causes tactical placement of future cities to change, thanks to the "no new city in between 4-hexes of another" rule.

With the canal improvement, you can build it on that 1 land hex, saving you from the repercussions of placing a city just for that purpose. Of course, if placing a city on the 1-land hex tile is beneficial to you and your empire, then great. Otherwise, it just seems as a tragic waste to me.

The canal improvement could only be placed on a single piece of land with 2 sides of coast adjacent to it. Since it provides a good tactical movement, you would need a significant amount of turns to finish it. Also, foreign Civs can use the canal with open border treaties. I was also thinking of 2 possible ways to use it: 1) No movement penalty with embarked/naval units and you just pass straight through 2) Embarked/Naval units expend all their movement when passing through a canal (which means all your movement will end on the actual canal improvement, even if you have more to spare), and you can move again the next round. If 2) is implemented, only one unit of each civ can remain in the canal.

Please post your thoughts in the comments, and leave suggestions

Please, don't post in multiple forums. Just ask a moderator for your old thread to be moved. With that said, this is a good idea.

This was a suggestion to Firaxis and to the Mods, but I wasn't sure if Mods could do it, but what the hell

I also wish a canal improvement was in the game. The way it worked in CIV was pretty good, I thought it would come back. This is one of the few things from CIV that didn't carry over to CiV for seemingly no good reason (like recon missions for airplanes). Why wasn't this a Great Admiral ability given that they have no terrain improvements like all the other great people?

I would like to add that I would hope that units that go through a canal and then get trapped due to closed borders or wars should be teleported to the other side of the canal to keep them from being locked in, similar to how units inside borders get teleported out.

i know this idea has been bounced around alot. Myself and several others have done threads similar to this and I know its an idea that many people want. The problem becomes how to get the AI to use it correctly.

i know this idea has been bounced around alot. Myself and several others have done threads similar to this and I know its an idea that many people want. The problem becomes how to get the AI to use it correctly.

It has? O_o

Oh and I guess about the AI...

Ah who cares, they're mindless Civs who will be UTTERLY DEFEATED >:)

As a potential way around this, can you program the game to automatically add a canal in appropriate tiles in AI controlled territory? That might get around the inability to directly program the AI.

As a potential way around this, can you program the game to automatically add a canal in appropriate tiles in AI controlled territory? That might get around the inability to directly program the AI.

yeah but what if there's a luxury/strategic resource there - you'd be wasting that in favour of the canal.

Top Bottom