[COMMUNITY EXPANSION IDEA] Civ V: Geopolitics

3335d

CCtP Player
Because Firaxis is not going to make this expansion, I think that the community should make it. While I do not have an expansion idea fully formed, I think that I do have enough ideas to get across what I want to say. It is, in fact, a good thing that I am not completely done with the ideas, as I want to involve the community in the creative process as much as possible.

I don't think that I will be able to do this alone - not only would it be a massive undertaking, it would require Lua, 90% of which is beyond my skill level. I am willing to actively code to whatever extent my skill level will allow me.

With that said, I would like to introduce a radical modification to the game which simultaneously will make the game more fun as well as more realistic, inspired by mods such as Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, Éa, Dawn of the Mortal Races and Emigrations. Completely revamping diplomacy and trade, this will make a game with immense replay value.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you:

Spoiler :
The cultural border system currently present in Civilization V should be set aside and replaced with a new system of political control which more closely reflects reality. This measure should incorporate, among other factors, the player's gold per turn, population, culture, science, and happiness. These yields should also be considered for the nearest city to a tile owned by the player. The number of units near a particular tile should also be considered in determining political control.

Centrifugal factors, which aim to pull a civilization apart rather than hold it together, should also be an important part of the game. History shows all too well that most empires only survive for a few hundred years, if that. To be more realistic, centrifugal factors should be a special case of political control. These centrifugal factors, if not dealt with, should pose a real threat to your empire's stability.

The equation for calculating political control should be:
Spoiler :
[(gold per turn+army size+science output+cultural output+faith output)/(distance from capital+1) + (gpt of nearest city+strength of nearest 5% of units/distance from city for each unit+science output of nearest city+faith output of nearest city+culture output of nearest city)/(distance from city+1)] + [central government bonuses/(distance from capital+1)]+[local bonuses/(distance from nearest city+1)] + % policy bonuses

Some buildings should affect a specific aspect of political control, such as the Tax Office, which should provide a bonus to political control based on gold per turn output in a city.

Centrifugal factors should be calculated with a similar formula to that of political control, excluding the global factors but also factoring in indicators such as an empire's happiness. As with political control, social policies should modify centrifugal factors. When switching between two mutually exclusive policy trees, the change in political control per turn, centrifugal factors will rise in a city by twenty times the amount that political control per turn was eroded, but this will be a one-time rise, rather than a per-turn rise.

Political control, as stated earlier, is a per-turn factor, so one-time boosts to it are not intended to be anything more than a stopgap until a more permanent source of political control can be found. The same applies for centrifugal factors.

When total centrifugal factors (not per-turn centrifugal factors) approach a certain percentage of the owner of the tile's total political control, damage may result to improvements due to a breakdown in law and order. In the case of this happening to cities, gold may be lost and the city will eventually break away to form a new minor civ or join an existing one.

The cultural border system currently present in Civilization V should be set aside and replaced with a new system of political control which more closely reflects reality.

Have you taken apart the Revolution modpack yet to see how it ticks? Between the code for tile flipping in the Cultural Diffusion component and the calculations made in the Revolutions component, I imagine you're most of the way there.

Have you taken apart the Revolution modpack yet to see how it ticks? Between the code for tile flipping in the Cultural Diffusion component and the calculations made in the Revolutions component, I imagine you're most of the way there.

True, but I would like political control (or stability, or whatever you want to call it) to be a per-turn yield calculated for each tile. This is to allow for temporary rises and falls in political control to be able to be reflected in-game, and to ensure that political control does not change in an instant. I do agree, though, that both modpacks contain a large percentage of the necessary code.

There's also more I want to add to the mod, including new diplomacy modifiers (which do seem possible), a new system for trade, corporations, and a more realistic political ideology system. All to ensure that (unless you want to be) you are not a communist autocrat.

Top Bottom