One More Thing in the "Fall Patch"

2K Greg

<span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un
Hey everyone!

I just announced one last thing that will be coming with the Fall Patch over on the 2K Forums. I think it deserves its own thread, and I wanted to be the one to announce it here because I've been waiting a long time for this moment!

Spoiler :
The DLL source code will be released with the fall patch, allowing modders to compile modified DLLs for their Civilization V mods.

2K Greg said:
Hey everyone!

I just announced one last thing that will be coming with the Fall Patch over on the 2K Forums. I think it deserves its own thread, and I wanted to be the one to announce it here because I've been waiting a long time for this moment!

* SPOILER *

Yay for the modding community!!

Thanks Greg :)

Hey everyone!

Spoiler :
The DLL source code will be released with the fall patch, allowing modders to compile modified DLLs for their Civilization V mods.

Good news. Hopefully not too little too late. Multi-player mod support would give this announcement quite a bit more oomph.

Oh my. I can hear the giddy screams all the way from here

Mmm, a new era for Civ dawns...

Does this mean that we shouldn't be expecting any more official DLCs/expansions from Firaxis, or is there a way to prevent people from just packaging up any new content and releasing it as a 'mod' for free?

Not that I'm not happy about the DLL finally being released - I've been really looking foward to seeing what the community is capable of producing once they're given greater access to the code, but I was also kind of hoping that there would be more official content than what we have currently, as it would give the modders more to work with and because the game doesn't feel 'complete' quite yet - at least in my opinion.

I wonder how you could've forgotten something so major in your first post...:rolleyes:

This will definitely be good for the modding community - definitely looking forward to seeing what sorts of new mods will come about as a result of this and how current mods will be made better! :)

Does this mean that we shouldn't be expecting any more official DLCs/expansions from Firaxis, or is there a way to prevent people from just packaging up any new content and releasing it as a 'mod' for free?

Not that I'm not happy about the DLL finally being released - I've been really looking foward to seeing what the community is capable of producing once they're given greater access to the code, but I was also kind of hoping that there would be more official content than what we have currently, as it would give the modders more to work with and because the game doesn't feel 'complete' quite yet - at least in my opinion.

The lack of the DLL source is not what prevent modders to makes mods looking like DLC, right now you can make better scenario, more complexe rules change, if you have the time to polish your work enough.

The only thing modders can't do (edit: comparatively to existing DLC) is add new 3D leaders with firaxis quality (and the DLL release won't fix that)

But what it will allow is mods that could compare with an official expansion, yes. :D

And from Civ4 experience, IMHO that's not a sign that Firaxis will not release another expansion (or another DLC by extension)

DLL? Can we finally make Firaxis quality and (Hopefully) Be able to voice act those leaders.

The lack of the DLL source is not what prevent modders to makes mods looking like DLC, right now you can make better scenario, more complexe rules change, if you have the time to polish your work enough.

The only thing modders can't do (edit: comparatively to existing DLC) is add new 3D leaders with firaxis quality (and the DLL release won't fix that)

But what it will allow is mods that could compare with an official expansion, yes. :D

And from Civ4 experience, IMHO that's not a sign that Firaxis will not release another expansion (or another DLC by extension)

Ah - okay. Thank you for explaining that. I don't have any modding experience myself (yet), so I wasn't sure exactly what having access to the DLL would allow people to do.

I'm glad to hear that this announcement doesn't necessarily mean an end to DLC too - I've been craving new civs to play as recently, now that I've got used to the additions from G+K. Hopefully the modders will be given access to the graphics engine as well, though, as there were some fantastic leaderheads made for Civ IV.

Ah - okay. Thank you for explaining that. I don't have any modding experience myself (yet), so I wasn't sure exactly what having access to the DLL would allow people to do.

I'm glad to hear that this announcement doesn't necessarily mean an end to DLC too - I've been craving new civs to play as recently, now that I've got used to the additions from G+K. Hopefully the modders will be given access to the graphics engine as well, though, as there were some fantastic leaderheads made for Civ IV.

At the very least, I'd be surprised if Civ V is retired before the Zulus are reintroduced, if nothing else. And even though they wouldn't be among my favourite civs, I'm sure they could make a great Shaka leader animation.

the .dll is just the gameplay side, not the graphics or 'make it work' parts of the engine.

They'll never release those as it's just bad for business.

Good stuff. I'm not a modder nor much of a mod user but others have been anxiously awaiting this.

Top Bottom