News: TSG45 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 45
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the forty-fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Science victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as William and lead The Dutch Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Science victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until November 1st to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have our Mac players with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. In addition, once you receive your two free techs from Rationalism, and should you switch to Piety, you may not switch back to Rationalism to gain an addtional two free techs. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG45 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: William - Dutch
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion saving is enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.1.705. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as William, you possess Dutch East India Company. You retain 50% of the Happiness benefits from a luxury resource if your last copy of it is traded away.

You can train the Sea Beggar, which replaces the Privateer. Sea Beggar is specialized to attack coastal cities to earn gold and capture enemy ships. It heals outside of friendly territory and starts with the first two coastal raider promotions, allowing it to earn gold from attacking coastal cities. Sea Beggars will capture as prize ships any naval unit it defeats. You need to discover the technology of Navigation and you do not need a resource to build it.

Your workers can build the Polder improvement. The Polder improvement yields +3 food per hex and may be built on Marsh and Flood Plains hexes. You need to discover the technology of Guilds and you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Thursday, 1 November 2012.

The Save can be found here.

Haha, nice... my attempts with the Dutch have always felt kind of lacklustre as I never really seem to get a lot of Polder spots. Seems like that won't be a problem this time! :D

Lux-wise the start looks kind of nasty though... I'd be tempted to move to the coast to at least be able to work those Crabs, but then again I wouldn't like to lose any of those nice marshes from my capital. Hopefully there'll be room for another coastal city and we're not stuck on a tiny island with just a harbor-less capital...

It looks to me like there are probably 7-8 tiles in the 3rd ring that are water tiles if settling in place. I think I'll likely move the warrior north along the river to see if that is indeed coastal tiles on the river. I might move the settler north along the river as well and settle on the 2nd turn if that is the coast on the north and the warrior spots more sea resources up there. If that's the case, the hill to the south would probably make a good 2nd city location.

There appears to be 2 floodplains tiles on the river which are also good for polders.

yeah, I'm thinking of wandering north for cap and getting crabs with 2nd city.
Haven't played with dutch yet, but those marshes are useless until quite late, so no rush in picking them up.

Looks like a fun game. I haven't gotten much mileage with the Dutch yet, so I'll run a couple of practice games first to get the feel for them. Based solely on the picture, I think I will move the settler NE 2 hexes and settle my capital on turn 2. Guilds isn't generally a high priority tech in the early game when I go for a science victory, so I may have to rethink the early research path a bit.

Compared to the last game, this starting area looks slightly less appealing. ;)

There'd better be something up north, like Marble and seafood!

But I might settle in place just to prove how bad it is. :p

Meanwhile, mind the alligators.

An awkward start, with no obvious "best" spot for the capital. I am not inclined to settle in place, since I think I will need the trees for long term production. If 2N is coastal, then that may make a reasonable settlement, even if there are no sea resources there. At least it is on the river, has the stone available to work straight away, and will eventually give access to the sugar. Settling east near the crabs is not attractive as it will take the sugar out of the city radius.

phew, what an horrible start. And maybe it's not a continents map? Plus: I haven't played the dutch before and don't know how to play them (especially since polder come so late and I should go for Education first?).

I can feel the pressure right now... :D

nice. i finally get to see some bloomed polder graphics. it will certainly be a pretty game.

I'm pretty sure Polders get buffed if you research other techs, but I cant recall which techs or what buffs.

I will move my warrior to the north and see if another luxury is available. If it's the case, i will surely move my settler 2 tiles north and buy the forested hill to accelerate settler production

Cool!! Trying to figure out what the best pantheon is to go with Polder (marshes)?? Besides the obvious Desert Folklore/fertility rights... Perhaps God of Craftsmen??

edit

I was a little bit too spoilerish.

Moderator Action: Thank you for removing it. Please remember that once you open the save, you are no longer eligible to post in the announcement thread. Once you have opened the save, you may only post in the In-Progress or After Action threads.

I will be playing this one for the interesting start location, since I have yet to play the Netherlands with this much marsh/flood plains. However, I expect some players' results to be the result of purposely trying to exploit the RA bug that is now public. Therefore the competitive part means little to me this time.

Best of luck to all!

trying to exploit the RA bug that is now public.

I never got that bug yet :confused:

Still don't know how to do it. Anyways, it will be patched very soon. If we are patient maybe we can wait for the patch before playing this GOTM...if it comes out before end of this session.

In fact, the RA bug has never occured for any top 3 GOTM's spots since GnK release. There even some very nice games without a single RA.

Top Bottom