News: TSG46 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 46
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the forty-sixth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Dido and lead The Carthaginian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until November 15th to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have our Mac players with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. In addition, once you receive your two free techs from Rationalism, and should you switch to Piety, you may not switch back to Rationalism to gain an addtional two free techs. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG46 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Dido - Carthage
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.1.705. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Dido, you possess Phoenician Heritage. All coastal Cities get a free Harbor. Units may cross mountains after the first Great General is earned, taking 50 HP damage if they end a turn on a mountain.

You can train the Quinquereme, which replaces the Trireme. It has increased melee strength and is designed to wrest control of the seas by attacking cities and naval units. It may not enter deep ocean tiles. Only Carthage may train this unit.

You can train the African Forest Elephant, which replaces the Horseman. They have a higher melee combat strength but move slower. They are weak to spearmen but they strike fear into nearby enemy units. They also help generate Great Generals quicker. Only Carthage may train this unit.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 15 November 2012.

The Save can be found here.

Nice!! Never won by domination so I guess it is about time :)

I already see where I'm planting my first two cities!!

Nice start, 3 luxuries and spare sugar to sell. Plenty of production too. No immediate reason not to settle in place, but I shall move the warrior 2 NW to the hill to see what's around.

I thought 15th of the month was supposed to be a DLC game?

Interesting. With Domination, the question is whether or not it will be significantly easier pre-patch or post-patch, especially given the new pillaging rules.

The 15th of the month games will include some DLC but not every month. The first one was a test but there will be more to come.

I don't think the pillaging changes will effect this game save??

ok since these changes will apply, maybe I will wait another week or so till the patch is released... till then, practice games with Dido

What are the new pillaging rules?

When the patch is officially released the AI will make better use of pillaging your tiles. It is supposed be an improvement to make wars more difficult.

If you have automatic updates enabled you will see it update when it is released. For now it still isn't available, as of the last few hours since I last loaded a game.

Interesting start. With Dido I really want to take Liberty and God of the Sea to spam cities all over, but there's only 1 sea resource present there and the luxuries are inland. At least that's all we can see... decisions!

I am playing dido at the moment.
It is exemrely rare that god of the sea is really useful. (if can be really fun trough with 8 sea resources, i had once :))
Messenger of gods however works very well for science. You should be able to get it fast in King.

As this is a king conquest, I will consider setting on the gold. In this map it is probably better start than the free harbor. I am slightly dissapointed that we did not have more sea resourse to feel the power of the UA.

Weird start indeed, if it was any other civ I would be going inland as well. But if it is some sort of islands map having your capital not on the coast will be a major setback. But only one fish in the water is sooo meh. Might go inland anyways. Tough decision. :)

if i see gold on a hill like that, i more often than not settle it. especially as it has good early growth, but yeah I guess it depends on the type of map. i'm notoriously bad at picking the wrong map.
would like a look at that south hill to see what's down there. tundra up top so not much going on up there.

couple of questions:
do you need compass to get the free harbor?
is there an achievement for dido? something about attacking romans over mountains?

You do not need compass. You do however need wheel for the trade routes, even if this is not specified.

It is pretty compelling to start with mansonry and might be pyramids. Too bad it is a conquest game. The sugar needs mansonry and with mineing you will have access to BW and later IW.
I will move W,SW with the warri to see if there is anything on the other side of the gold. Settling the salt also an option, It will became a 3 food title, If I am correct and I do not loose the other sugar.

Settling on the Gold makes you lose the gpt that mining it would give, so I'm not really inclined to do that.

There is no need to look for extra hammers that moving inland might give either, with the Stone and enough hills in sight that suffice for the whole game. And there is no river visible.

Settling on the spot or 1SE seems best.

I have dowloaded the save already, but did not play. I am thinking about the fall patch. I think in king, Razing is absolutely helpful to achieve better results.

"Gold makes you lose the gpt that mining it would give"
What? You mean you loose the 1g1p? I am not convinced that this is a problem, considering you get the gold 15 turn later (around 120g) and you get the production only when you can afford the food loss.

If you settle on the gold your capital is 2F2P2G and you can have the salt for 2F1P1G at once.
You will have the gold at turn 8-10 and you can sell it for GPT+gold if you find any civ in the meantime.

If you settle on the coast, you need a worker for the gold. For that you need either 20+ turn (you also need scouts) or 320g with loan, which is around the same. Then 8turn for moving it to the hill and mine the gold. Then you will have a 2F1P1G City title and a 3P3G Hill.

433 vs 244 (about the same, production is probably better as you need to rush units), and you lost about 15 turn while you could have sold your gold.

Top Bottom