TSG46 After Action Report

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG46 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

With our sixth GOTM game in G&K;
How have the changes affected your strategy and game planning?
How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
How did your opponents affect your strategy?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup.

Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1120AD
Turns played: 172
Base score: 987
Final score: 2902
Time played: 2:42:00

The map was full of surprises. At about turn 30 i made an assumption this is an island, which proved correct. Just turned out to be a huge island. :lol: Hence, planned the game as archipelago domination. Enjoyed it greatly, thanks Hammer Rabbi and others.

Here is how it went:

The opening:

Opened with worker and improved salt immediately, since it is such a marvelous resource.

Rushed shrine by chopping down forest and picked Messenger of the Gods for some minor scientific advantage. Had a choice to pick up God of the Sea, which would probably be a slightly better idea. Prioritized the wheel, so pantheon could kick in pretty soon.

Didn't bother with religion after the pantheon.

Got myself a quinquereme, scout, warrior and an archer, most of which were quite successful in picking up early alliances. Had 2 culture CS's and a Maritime under my wing by turn 50.

Went on to build the Great Library, Hanging gardens and some other minor things, while waiting to unlock Compass.

Settled two more cities, one on the coast with fish and wheat, the other on the hill close to marble and sugar and wheat, both around turns 40-50. One of my settlers was light minded and got himself into trouble. Luckily, two warriors were patroling the area and resqued him very quickly.

After providing cities with required stuff (granaries, markets, libraries) i proceeded to build 8 galleases, a caravel, 2 forest elefants and 3 catapults. Settled city number 4 on top of iron in tundra north of the Capital.

Allied Lisbon for another 6 irons.

Allied Cahokia for happiness.

The battle:

Wasn't sure about terrain completely, even though i scouted better this time. Should have performed more thourough scouting: had to come back and re-scout in several places.

5 Galleases and a Quinquereme went east to capture Rome, Paris and Istanbul with ease (about turn 130 i started). Four of them got upgraded to Frigates after capturing Rome.

4 Frigates, 2 Elephants, 2 warriors and a Caravel went west slightly later with a mission to capture Constantinople, Berlin, Amsterdam and finally, Palenque.

2 Trebuhets and a pike assisted Frigates at the siege of Palenque.

Little or no resistance was met, since every AI prioritized ground forces, falsely assuming this is Pangaea.

Science:

Opened with Mining - Pottery - Sailing - Writing - Calendar - The Wheel - Masonry - Construction - Civil Service - Education - Compass - Iron Working - Navigation.

Finished GL at turn 60, NC at turn 77. Didn't bother with science (univesities) from then on, since it was King. In retrospect, 2 more universities would help a lot with early trebuchets, who could capture Palenque and Amsterdam for a finish time of sub 150.

Also, Compass before Education might have been slightly better in my case.

Culture:

Went full liberty, 3 in Commerce (left side), Honor Opener. Used Liberty GE to open Commerce with an Oracle.

Other:

2 of my Forest Elephants fell at the siege of Constantinople, defeated by Theodora's zebras. Didn't feel much good in this unit. :dunno:

Quinquereme felt just like a trireme, nothing special there.

Free harbors were really nice though, allowed to me keep larger military, i guess.

EDIT: Just realised that settling on the south coast could mean a much much faster time!

Attachments

• 2012-10-16_00001.jpg
    2012-10-16_00001.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 2012-10-16_00002.jpg
    2012-10-16_00002.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 2012-10-16_00004.jpg
    2012-10-16_00004.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 2012-10-16_00005.jpg
    2012-10-16_00005.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 270
Game date: 1750AD
Turns played: 260
Base score: 2116
Final score: 4069
Time played: 3:38:00

I decided to use my religion to generate pre-industrial military units. I think this worked out well because with Sinai and with +2 faith per quarry I was buying bowmen and catapults about every four turns, far faster then I could have with gold.

I used a land army to take out Constantinople and Berlin, then to Pacal, Amsterdam, and Ottomans. I used a navy to take out Rome and Paris.

Overall the game went smoothly. I lost some units early to cataphracts and greek fire ships, but then it was pretty easy. I think I could have improved my score if I would have built my army quicker instead of some of the wonders.

Wasted the UU; I went to knight before I even started building my army. I think this is my best time so far in GOTM, so I'm pleased. It was easier than the others, but I think I was more efficient too, like focusing on getting Petra, making roads to my military fronts, trading everything for gold before declaring war, etc. Making progress on the easy ones, which is good.

Reference number: 27455
Game date: 1645AD
Turns played: 239
Base score: 2071
Final score: 4406

Well, I tried something new and different, and that was ICSing up to 11 cities. Not sure that really counts as ICSing, but hey, it was getting ridiculous and I needed to start fighting.

France and Rome were trying to gobble up everyone in the east, so I figured I would secure my western borders first. I focused so hard on building cities that I didn't start fighting Byz until turn 100. Fortunately, I settled so close to her that she just had two cities.

Germany took one, I took the other. Then I took two of his cities. He started popping landschnekts in his capitol, which repelled my CBs and Cats. So I decided to come back later.

By that time (T150 or so), France had taken Maya to 1 city (his cap). So I shifted my whole force to the east.... that's when I learned lesson 1 about Carthage: having no roads STINKS. Since it was basically a pangea, I had built a large ground force and no navy. It took them FOREVER to move across the map. Obviously, Moriarte was much smarter than me (he used a naval force), as EVERYONE'S capitol was coastal! How was I supposed to know that?! :confused:

In any event, I kicked France out of Maya territory, wiped Maya, took Amsterdam, kicked Rome out of Danish territory, and pressed east toward Istanbul. By that time I got dynamite, so I bought and sent 2 artillery and finished off Germany.

I learned Carthage lesson 2 when attacking the Ottomans and France: mountain movement is not just a gimmick. I thought it was, but I made liberal use of mountain movement against the Ottomans and French because there was a lot of rough terrain and tight spaces. It was awesome.

From Istanbul, I just swept north to Paris, then DoW'd Rome and took Rome. Done deal. This great game really showcased all of Carthage's abilities. Good gold with lots of cities and harbors, strong religion that way too, but I should have built a navy...

Attachments

• 2012-10-16_00003.jpg
    2012-10-16_00003.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 2012-10-16_00004.jpg
    2012-10-16_00004.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 168
Game: Civ5 GOTM 46
Date submitted: 2012-10-17
Game date: 640AD
Turns played: 142
Base score: 794
Final score: 2835
Time played: 3:21:00
Submitted save: Dido_0142 AD-0640.Civ5Save

Turn 124 : The first army of crossbowmen crossed Palenque and let no survivors. A 2nd army was on his way for Rome. I DoWed Williams and decided to get Utrecht first before his capital. A bunch of workers are making the longest road on earth. DoWed Rome as well a bit later. Chivalry is discovered.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I picked the free gg from Honor and got a new one from fights. They are using the new interstate highway to reach the far lands. Bought some units with faith. 3 Knights are born. I'm finally researching Sailing :lol:

Spoiler :

Turn 128 : The crossbowmen tornado continues his route through foreign lands to the east after taking Amsterdam. I have sold Palenque some turns ago to Suleiman to reduce unhappiness.

Spoiler :

Turn 133 : Both armies reached last 2 civs. The 2 ggs are arrived at the same time. Good timing! Since i have 3 of them, 1 will be used for pressure near Istanbul. The highway splitted in 2 and now he's reaching Vatican City and south of Wittenberg.

Spoiler :

Turn 141 : Istanbul couldn't resist at all with that citadel and Paris is surrounded.

Spoiler :

Turn 142 : Paris felt in a single blast. The highway was only at 5 turns of completion!

Spoiler :

@Tabarnak... did you realize that you could get to Istanbul without going through Edirne?? By way of mountains above Istanbul!! I realized late and by accident. I forgot that not only elephants could do it.

I got my first Domination victory playing CiV ever on t217... will share later

@Tabarnak... did you realize that you could get to Istanbul without going through Edirne?? By way of mountains above Istanbul!!

True, but Paris was conquered after this city so it didn't change anything. I did use some mountains to help some crossbowmen reaching Rome faster.

Date submitted: 2012-10-17
Reference number: 27461
Your name: numaru7
Game date: 1510AD
Turns played: 212
Base score: 1227
Final score: 2921
Time played: 2:15:00
Submitted save: TSG46_Turn 212_DOMWIN.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C504601.Civ5Save

settled on the gold and started building a worker and researching mining with the though of selling both resources to rushbuy some units. change of plans when i saw Sinai. went 2 more cities instead with the idea to rushbuy units with faith, but as i have never done it, i realized it still costs a lot for 1 unit. meh...

A bunch of workers are making the longest road on earth. DoWed Rome as well a bit later.

This was a great strategy. The lack of roads was a huge problem for my game, because with Carthage I did not build very many. I bet you saved 20 turns because you built that road.

Your name: Aaronius
Game date: 1200AD
Turns played:180
Base score: 1059
Final score: 2941

Well, this one was a real hoot and a hollar. Napolean ended up sacking Rome in the same turn I took Paris. Not that it matters. I am very proud as this is one of my fastest times ever. I still built tons of unnecessary buildings, but I'm a builder at heart. I love how effective Navies can be now. The first screenshot below shows my combined forces that sacked Theodora Bizmark Pacal and William. The second shot shows my Naval force that sacked Rome Istambul and Paris. The third one shows the lay of the land on 180.

I almost always build a shrine and use tradition to get free monuments.

This was the first improved GOTM where I didn't actually get a religion, just the science bonus from the pantheon. I used my one rennaissance spy to cement my relationship with Tyre, who provided Iron among other things...

They didn't really. I knew what I had to do and I knew I had to be fast.

Date submitted: 2012-10-18
Reference number: 27467
Your name: Suntechnique
Game date: 1480AD
Turns played: 208
Base score: 1623
Final score: 3958
Time played: 5:20:00

Most exiting thing about this game: carthage workers can build roads over mountains with a bit of micromanagement :) Made similar highway as Tabarnak, although with much slower win.

I got tricked by UU and instead of usual swords and archers focus tried to build an elephants army. Didn't work well, they fall too easily and are slower to build.

Nothing special.
Used religion only to get a bit of money and happiness. Spying on King does almost nothing.
I was a bit afraid Bismark would produce swarm of his UU as usual. But he seems to be less spammy on King and also he lost most of them to Theodora.

P.S.: really impressed by navy strategy of Moriarte. Didn't even think about that.

Reference number: 27469
Your name: AE_
Game date: 980AD
Turns played: 159
Base score: 941
Final score: 3035
Time played: 5:06:00
Submitted save: TSG46_Dido_0159 AD-0980.Civ5Save
Renamed file: AE__C504601.Civ5Save

I am happy to have achieved victory before turn 160, but there is still a lot of things to improve. Maybe i will go for a replay, and then I will start my war earlier, and also build a long fine road as Tabarnak did.

Dido. Domination. Turn 230.

its been a while since i actually submitted.

simple game but not fast enough. rushes are just that bit more effective/easy in g&k. i went for the crossbow.

no huts was different. demonstrated how a cheeky culture or money hut can be a great boon.

Reference number: 27471
Your name: trueblue
Game date: 1600AD
Turns played: 230
Base score: 1223
Final score: 2658
Time played: 2:57:00
Submitted save: GOTM46Save.Civ5Save
Renamed file: trueblue_C504601.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2012-10-19
Reference number: 27478
Your name: ilyanna
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 2374
Final score: 4023
Time played: 5:06:00

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker that decided to give the gotm a bash.

I started the game off completely forgetting that it was a 'competition', and played in my usual fashion... Opened scout > half worker > shrine > finish worker. Full liberty, Commerce right side, taking one policy out to grab the autocracy opener. Built up a good economy with trade routes, roads, about 8 citys and a good religion (Messenger of the Gods, fast, via a faith CS and Sinai. Founded Shinto round turn 40 for Ceremonial Burial, and Asceticism, enhancing after a quick missionary with Holy Warriors and Just War)

Eventually went on a rampage against Theodora in the west, simply because I managed to piss her off with my rapid expansion. Germany decided to go for her throat too, so she went down pretty fast. Probibally around turn 100

Moved onto Germany afterwards, and in the mean time, the Netherlands took out the Mayans. Germany went down pretty fast and I moved my forces round the southern edge of the island through my ally Genoa, and flanked Palenque with the remainder of the forces from Germany, and reinforcements from back home.

Momentum managed to keep me moving towards Amsterdam but I was abruptly stopped dead primarily by the terrain around Istanbul. Oh, and the Great Wall >_>

After bashing my head against the wall of Istanbul for a while, and having a few distractions relating mainly to major happiness negatives, I managed to down Istanbul.

In the mean time however, I whipped up a fleet of Ironclads and Frigates to take down the remaining players. France died to a combined strike from Istanbul based forces, and Rome went down to forces from my own capital.

All in all, an awful time, that could easily be improved, either by me durdling less in the early game, or alternatively, doing it all by sea...

As far as Carthage goes, free harbors is handy, but roads are still needed for infrastructure. I found the elephants to be fairly solid, but they seem stunted by the fact that their main era is the era of pikemen :p. I didn't accually use their unique boat, unfortunately. However, the mountain climbing was completely awesome when I was pushing through the south of the island, definately the dark horse of Carthage. Also, I'd offer a comment on the no goodie hut setting, but that's the way I prefer to play, so I didn't even realise until the mid game.

Edit: I should probibally read the first post...
Assuming this means the changes to G&K, I didn't play much vanilla, so I havn't really been affected.
Religion was a major part of my gameplay, as a way to handle unhappyness.
Espionage on the other hand, I used mainly to get information on whos trying to kill who, and occassionally to spot for artillery.
I have a fairly large amount of distain for Theodora, simply due to past games, so I was probibally slightly too cheerful about the prospect of killing her off first. Otherwise, abit wary of France, as their UU can be annoying, and for some reason they always seem to play tall against me, which makes for big nasty cities to conquer.

Welcome Aboard! Thanks for your first submission!

ilyanna: Also, I'd offer a comment on the no goodie hut setting, but that's the way I prefer to play, so I didn't even realise until the mid game.

That actually wasn't a setting. When I play-tested the map I got 3-4 ruins. We are trying to investigate why people aren't getting them when my game file doesn't have 'No Ruins' checked.

turn 88 win tommynt

played this in 1 big session and made Video uploading atm
so every1 interested in game can just watch - gonna edit link in.

Basiclly i found 5 civs pretty fast and shape looked like a big mass - but expected that there might be 1 Island in ne - luckly there wasnt ... when france found me ...
Did testgame with byz and figured how horrible the uu does vs cities and then just did cop bow attack with forward cities - stupid dutch cap (25 power in turn 87 wtf!) stoped me from a kill last 3 cap in 1 turn :)

edit: at least I could use the feature of crossing mountain well - so byz uu stuff wasnt totaly wasted :)

edit: GRRRRRR stupid camstudio recorded my closed ie explorer session instead civ5 .. so 2 hours of ie on Video :(
basicly I did let my cap grow to 5 built 4 settlers in it sent 2 to build forward city - 1 at rome 1 at maya

my economy was boosted by 3 stolen workers - 1+1 from germany 1 from rome - had lik4-5 arahcers at each forward city to upgarde (send archers + settlers while teching comp bow.
been very unlukcy with CS mission - completed a sinlge kill barb camp mission when having units all over map ...

did rush buy a settler aswell which was built towards the faith hill - but religion was a total waste with this map - gathered like 1000 faith all game for pretty much no gain ... but who d figure that growth and happynes d not be needed ...

I had a lot of fun with this game. I had a domination victory and a huge empire, all with puppet-cities. Ended with 30 in anger, so no golden age for me :D

With the conquest of Berlin I got 5000+ gold surrender money from Bismarck. Thank you very much. Later I discovered all capitals are on the shores and you can take a citie with an Ironclad :D

Top Bottom