Nobles Club CVIII - Peter the Great

Marvinlegend

Chieftain
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Peter of Russia, whom we last played in NC LXXXIII; we last played the Russians under Stalin in NC XCIV. The Russians start with Hunting and Mining.
  • Traits: Peter is Philosophical and Expansive.
  • The UB: The Research Institute, a Laboratory which grands two free scientists.

• The UU: The Cossack, a Cavalry with +50% vs. Mounted Units.
And the start:

Spoiler map details :
Standard Pangaea map.
Spoiler edits :
One strategic ressource was moved closer to an AI's starting location, so that it wouldn't be a pushover
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:The WB-saves (and aditionally No Huts/Events saves with added Barb Techs for BUG Mod) are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC number Leader Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Noble. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
Spoiler huts and events :
Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

Attachments

• NC.CVIII.Peter.zip
    173.8 KB · Views: 577
Statistics/Played Games:
Marvinlegend: Monarch, Domination 1808 AD, little bit clumsy gameplay,
Spoiler :
Peace-rexing and big attack with Cossack

I made an english Let's Play, beware of terrible pronunciation, here on Youtube, should be complete uploaded by tomorrow.

Nice, I have been waiting for this game. I really like Peter as a leader, nice UU, kinda crappy UB. Looks like a decent start from the screen shot above... This is one thing I kind of struggle with. Where would be the best place to move the scout? To reveal the most information, to decide if SIP or move?

Is the Laboratory (Research Institute) worth building in a space-race? My gut says it's a waste as hammer-monsters are usually science poor but can build those parts without too much trouble and science heavy cities have poor hammers.

@ Marvinlegend

Only saw a few moments of the video as I don't want to spoil myself. But if it helps, you sound fine. :)

@ Marvinlegend

Only saw a few moments of the video as I don't want to spoil myself. But if it helps, you sound fine. :)

I agree. Your pronunciation is quite good, Marvinlegend; I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, you can rest assured it is better than most people's German pronunciation. :lol:

BOTM is usually unusual.

Thanks, Marvinlegend! I updated the bullpen thread.

Edit: Cool idea to give saves with the barb techs already added; I've never had the patience. However, BUG can be loaded as a custom asset, meaning it doesn't need to be accessed as a mod. Leaving it out would make the regular save files useful to people who don't use BUG.

This is one thing I kind of struggle with. Where would be the best place to move the scout? To reveal the most information, to decide if SIP or move?

I'd move him to the west, to see what the river tiles give you, so you'd stay on fresh water, if you want to move.

Is the Laboratory (Research Institute) worth building in a space-race? My gut says it's a waste as hammer-monsters are usually science poor but can build those parts without too much trouble and science heavy cities have poor hammers.

I'd say yes, if you plan your research accordingly, meaning after Rocketry the first Space-Part-Technology Conductors, because you get the Laboratorys quick for the bonuses (also the Science bonus, there are some expensive techs in the space race) and the thrusters.

@ Marvinlegend

Thanks ;)

I agree. Your pronunciation is quite good, Marvinlegend; I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, you can rest assured it is better than most people's German pronunciation. :lol:

That could be true :lol:

Thanks, Marvinlegend! I updated the bullpen thread.

Ah, good, I forgot the Bullpen again
Also you're welcome ;), I enjoy making those maps.

Is everyone getting the saves to run properly? FWIW I can't seem to get the flags on any civ (including our own on the GUI) to display correctly. Am playing the monarch no huts save BTW.

The game seems to be running normally for me except for the white flags...

About the game itself:
Spoiler :

I started playing this game on Immortal and was playing quite fast and didn't pay attention. Didn't notice Hannibal was plotting... In 1880BC he declared on me and entered my borders with 2 axes and 2 spears and he's going to take my 1st settled city next turn :eek: Can't even chop one axe there, i'm a few hammers short. Game over. Will do this again trying to be more focused. :lol:

Edit: well, even with losing 1 city this is winnable since it's immortal, but I hate it when I put myself in a disadvantage by not paying attention. Going to retry...

This is one thing I kind of struggle with. Where would be the best place to move the scout? To reveal the most information, to decide if SIP or move?

SW is the only thing that gives you any information on where to settle. Might be worth the move to see if moving the settler SW would be worth it. Personally settle in place looks fairly strong. Would probably just start the scout on a scouting arc, probably NW initially and circle around to the east. Mountains to the northeast don't look too interesting and I'm guessing we hit tundra if we go much farther south.

I might give this one a try once I finish my current game. Nice traits and a decent start. Haven't played the Russians yet. Probably go the normal worker start. AG > AH > BW for techs.

SW is the only thing that gives you any information on where to settle. Might be worth the move to see if moving the settler SW would be worth it. Personally settle in place looks fairly strong. Would probably just start the scout on a scouting arc, probably NW initially and circle around to the east. Mountains to the northeast don't look too interesting and I'm guessing we hit tundra if we go much farther south.

Thanks for the info, and Marvinlegend too. I'm about to 1AD and this game should be interesting, write up will follow probably tomorrow, darn RL for the rest of today! ;)

Thanks for the game, playing on emperor, it's going swimmingly so far 850 BC. The flags on units do seem to be screwed up (only running bug mod and the bug save wouldn't load though WB save is fine).

Map spoiler
Spoiler :
Some of these other civs need to get in gear

Ragequit when...

Spoiler :
I lost an entire stack of fifteen--that's a one with a five after it--Cossacks to TWO French Musketeers at odds that began at 65% and ended at 95%. Pardon my French, but come le f*#% on.

Ragequit when...

Spoiler :
I lost an entire stack of fifteen--that's a one with a five after it--Cossacks to TWO French Musketeers at odds that began at 65% and ended at 95%. Pardon my French, but come le f*#% on.

Spoiler :
Wow. So the first two Musketeers have 0.35 to 1 chance of winning battle 1, decrease each chance by 0.05 (simplicity's sake) so that the chance of the musketeer winning is 0.30, 0.25, 0.20 to 0.05 for the seventh battle each musketeer wins. The probability of winning all 14 of these battles is the product of all of these odds, or 1.55*10^-12 to 1. :crazyeye: You're more likely to get hit by lightning.. by a lot.

Is everyone getting the saves to run properly? FWIW I can't seem to get the flags on any civ (including our own on the GUI) to display correctly. Am playing the monarch no huts save BTW.
Yeah there's something screwy with them.

Here's what the file has for us:-

Code:
	FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Russia.dds
	WhiteFlag=1
whereas a default game with Peter has:-

Code:
	FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_DoubleEagle.dds
	WhiteFlag=0
Changed the file and now our flag show correctly. Don't want to fix the others as that would mean knowing our opponents which is half the fun.

So how's this game going for you all? I'm replaying at emperor and am around 250 ad or so and my expansion was as good or better than the first time.
Spoiler :
It's that awkward period when AP is going to be built somewhere. I was planning war against Hannibal (obvious target) but if either of my co-religionists Suleiman (founder), Pacal, or Hannibal build AP, that's out. Or maybe I should declare anyway? I joined Suleiman against Saladin but didn't really participate. It's going well, top on the scoreboard with Pyramids and Parthenon and good fail gold from Artemis and Statue of Zeus. Churchill has the tech lead by a little and his own religion, maybe he'll build AP, that actually might be the best, it's fighting time

So I've gotten to 1800 BC. Up to 3 cities. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Spoiler :
Tech wise I went Ag>BW>Wheel(connect copper)>Pottery>Masonry(GW)>Mysticism(for monuments). I picked up fishing and animal husbandry from huts.

Builds in the capital went worker>warrior>warrior>warrior>settler>axe>worker>Great Wall>Settler>worker. I chopped out the great wall, not so much for the barb protection as the great engineer points.

2nd city was expanding toward Hannibal and grabbing the gold. Usually I'd expand for military purposes first, but with copper in the BFC and a horse site (by the way are ther enough horses on this map? better build lots of spears/pikes) looking safe, went to expand toward our future target. 3rd city grabbed the western horse with fish and wine.

From here not sure what the best plan of attack is. It looks like there is plenty of room to expand, so I'm thinking expand to 6 or so cities and then take out Hannibal. Tech wise probably go writing, alphabet, lit, and try for the Great Library.

Attachments

• Ken XV BC-1800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    68.7 KB · Views: 129
Top Bottom