Social Policies that determine your type of faction

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
Now in Civ5 with the new faction "City-State", there's a better variety of different types of factions, along with the already existing Barbarians, traditional civilizations and in previous Civs, mere tribes (goody huts principally, but also the reflexion about "empty land" being conquered culturally).

Beside the fact that I always wanted to uniformize all those different types of factions into one, for a more coherent, realistic and less gimmickly gammey feeling, I believe there is still major differencies between them, justificating their so great differences in the known series.

That's why I jumped to the conclusion that similar factions but with differences could be played altogether by the players, for a more varied, resulted and fun experience. I also feel that Social Policies don't push their advantages nearly enough (I suggested before Civ5 to add an incentive on small remaining countries by giving them points to spend in a second technological tree) and I think it would be the occasion to give them more sharp.

So, here are the Social Policies, or whatever they be called, that I tried to envision in order to give the players the ability to play several types of factions. As a starting idea, those SPs are still called SPs, are earned with cultural points and are cumulative. (minor some exceptions maybe -which I dislike-, still WIP, ideas are welcomed) :

* Nomadism (Basics for all)

* Barbarism

Unlocks Military Tech tree 1 (prevalent at about AD 400 if choosen at start)

* Civilization

Unlocks Agriculture / Ability to have cities beyond size 3.
Locks Pastoralism

* Organization

Unlocks Settlers / Ability to manage directly several cities
Free Settler

* Pastoralism

Unlocks Military Tech Tree 2 (prevalent at about AD 1200 if choosen as soon as possible - since Horseback Riding)
Locks Civilization

* Clans

Unlocks Clans (ability to have "allied cities")
Ability to have up to size 6 (?) cities.

Not sure if any faction would have a default SP or just anyone of the (for now) five of them in order to start.

As you probably noticed, the last one (Clans) seems pretty weak, to the point it would be needed to be introduced a new concept of "allied cities". But I feel short in term of imagination, and I'm far from the 10 different factions / SPs I wish there is.

So if you have your own ideas, please feel free to put them below.

Top Bottom