TSG47 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG47 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- Did you do anything exciting with your UU's?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

I just finished turn 100. Finished liberty tree, 3 cities, 4th lost to boudicca (build it in his face ; west on the silk) a lot of growth, but i miss production. Alex on a rampage, Austria being his main focus. Don't know if this is good or bad. DoF with Maya, Siam & Austria, all fight Alex. Boudicca dowed roundabout t78-79. Have beaten his army now, planning to take back Barcelona in the next 20 turns. Will try to wipe him of the earth. No iron, 2 horses, sigh

I am definitively a bit out of my depth, but i do enjoy it. Will wipe a tear when Tabernak/tommynt et al announce their sub 250 finish....

EDIT: t117 got Barca back and a very favourable peace from boudicca considering that my military was kinda cooked too.

Its hard, lacking in meaningful science here to have a military edge

Fall patch was just released. If you wish to complete your game in the old version, please turn off auto updates. :eek:

edit - should you have a problem with uploading your save, please let us know and save. Alan is checking whether the patch changed the save file format and will adjust the parser as necessary. This may take a day or two. We appreciate your patience. :)

Not really, upgraded a couple horsemen to conquistadors.

Getting a settler to settle beside Kailash as fast as possible. As soon as i discovered it on turn 6, i rush bought a settler the moment my capital hit 2 pop, and then raced him over there, praying Marrakech's borders didn't jack it first.
I managed to settle where i wanted, bought Kailash tile, and then proceeded to work that tile in order to hasten Pantheon and Religion, etc.
It got me each religious belief i wanted :)
Kailash t6 :D
Spoiler :

Pretty similar to my usual order for science focused games, with a bit more focus on sailing etc due to so many coastal cities.
t113 tech tree
Spoiler :

Boudicca is a... she really loves to warmonger when i'm nearby.
So she took a go at me for a long time and got nowhere. Eventually i got a decent peace treaty out of it, but i really haven't focused on military enough to really push back.
She then again attacked later and around t150 i think i am, she just gave almost all gold/gpt/luxs etc. as again i held her off and pushed back.

I went Liberty instead of my usual Tradition because i saw more than 4 good spots for settling.
So far i've only put down five cities, but i have a spot i could place another, and i initially suspected i might be taking over some cities due to close neighbor Boudicca. She has Great Wall though, so i unfortunately don't see that happening anytime soon.
In hindsight Tradition would have likely been a better choice, but the one benefit of my going Liberty was how slow my culture output was, meaning once i'd finished Liberty, i could open Rationalism directly, without having to pick something else (which is really nice).
I've now taken all of Liberty (took free GS which i planted) and Rationalism + the 2 left side ones (this is around t150 though i think).

Homefront north t113
Spoiler :

Homefront south t113
Spoiler :

Religion
Spoiler :

I founded religion, then when i hit 200 faith i spread Pantheon to #2 and 3 city.
Then used Great Prophet and went Itinerant Preachers, so i've gotten pretty decently spread religion all throught Austria + Greece.
Boudicca keeps spamming great prophets and cleaning my religion out of her cities sadly :(
If it could take over hers, it'd spread to the other side of the lake really well, but she has been a PITA for religious and war reasons all game.

Greece as usual went warmongering and attacked Austria, but they are still alive.
Sweden wiped out Siam.
Greece and Sweden are getting huge and will be big trouble for me as they are only going to get more powerful and runaway with things :\

As usual i am doing okay with science (tech leader) but my cities have almost no production and i'm mainly just trying to grow them. Unfortunately means building anything takes forever, so no wonders, and minimal military.
I am presently trying to get Pisa, but i suspect i'll get beaten to it.

We think the parser is updated and functional. Please post your games to the server and, should there be a problem, let us know.

:thanx:

Game is bugged for me right now :(

Tried a mp game first and got weird and severe glitches for about 1 min then i crashed on turn 40 quick speed.

I played this gotm until turn 58. These glitches came back then i crashed again. I reloaded the turn 58 and as soon as i tried to attack with an archer it crashed. Tried turn 56 and still no good. I can't even pass a single turn without crashing. I think i will reinstall the game once and see if i can continue later.

Oh and the AI seems a lot more aggressive :eek:

Game is bugged for me right now :(

Tried a mp game first and got weird and severe glitches for about 1 min then i crashed on turn 40 quick speed.

I played this gotm until turn 58. These glitches came back then i crashed again. I reloaded the turn 58 and as soon as i tried to attack with an archer it crashed. Tried turn 56 and still no good. I can't even pass a single turn without crashing. I think i will reinstall the game once and see if i can continue later.

Oh and the AI seems a lot more aggressive :eek:

Verify Integrity of Game Cache

Worth a try before you have to fully reinstall; it oftens fixes corrupt downloads/installs.

Played around 150 turns so far (new patch). My first real go at Immortal so not expecting too much.

Built 2 scouts and a trireme early which paid off as I found 3 natural wonders first which gave me a crazy amount of gold. Bought two settlers and built another in my capital. Went Tradition due to it being a small map and expecting to get crammed for space pretty quick.

Lazily chased a religion but didn't get one (MUCH harder on Immortal than Emperor it seems)! Unfortunately I was too slow getting to the faith wonder, the city state beat me to it.

Nice to see Boudica just below me. She DOW'd me twice, held her off easily with Composite Bowman first time and Crossbowman second time. Both times I got favourable peace deals but didn't manage to take down her capital. Had the bar down halfway at one point but she kept spamming out Swordsmen and Pikemen. I also have Conquistador's now but with the amount of Pikemen she has, they are not going to do too much. Managed to pillage her horses and some of her iron though (nice 25 HP bonus).

Her religion has now spread to most of my cities so at least I get to use the faith I've accumulated for something (Cathedrals). Maybe that will also stop her attacking me again (though I doubt it very much).

Alexander and Gustavus are running away with the lead as far as score goes.

No room for any more cities so think I am going to keep playing on the defensive and try to get to Globalization as quickly as possible whilst earning as much gold as possible to buy the city states later on (I think Alexander will be a challenge though, especially with his UA).

Currently staying allies with some cultural city states near Boudica for more than one reason. Going through the Patronage tree now as I am going to need all the help I can get keeping the city states allied).

Btw, has anybody noticed that the AI has much less gold since the patch (could just be a one off though)?

Anybody noticed lack of funds in AI hands? On Immortal they used to be much richer.
I wasn't able to sell luxury for the full 240g price yet. Is it a change from the patch?

Anybody noticed lack of funds in AI hands? On Immortal they used to be much richer.
I wasn't able to sell luxury for the full 240g price yet. Is it a change from the patch?

Yeah, I saw that. I think they are spending it on archers like we do.

Turn 24 religion! Sweet!

I am at turn 45 now, have discovered all civs and most CS. I am working on CS quests now.

Went Tradition, grabbed church property and pagodas, already built 2 of them, so will now save for the second Prophet.

Boudica was acting suspicious with warriors close to my borders, but after I rush bought 2 archers she moved them north.

I have also noticed the AI with less gold, which is fantastic (assuming they are spending it and not just getting less of it). Also the AI seems more aggressive attacking barb camps which is neat.

I noticed the same thing. Alex and Austria had basically no money. Boudicca bought my pearls for 240 the first time, but when the deal recycled she gave me the new "I can't see us working out a fair deal" response when I tried to get 136 gold plus 3 gpt. She did agree on 136 + 1 gpt, however, so well below the full amount. In hindsight it is apparent that I should have immediately prepared for war with her based on this clue.

Wow, what an annoying game.

The wars. They just. Won't. Stop. :mad:

Alex and i had made a DoF earlier in the game. He was happy with me because i'd freed a captured settler for him.

But i saw him massing troops nearby, ridiculous swarms of them.
I knew what was coming next.
Would he buy lux and strategics for full price? Yup, all signs showed he was happy with me, but the mass of units pouring into my lands (he had OB from me) told me otherwise.

He managed to steal my two CS allies, but i quickly grabbed them back after having to sell a bunch of lux, etc.
Then DoW.

To add to the fun, Boudicca decided to also DoW.

GRRRRRRRRR. :mad:

I was being attacked from EVERYWHERE.

I finally got Boudicca to give peace (rather amusingly, since she was close to taking one of my cities).

Then i slowly and painfully pushed back Alex and eventually managed to grab one of his cities (with way too many losses).

But then i saw Boudicca massing units on my borders again.

OMG.

I made peace with Alex purely because i knew i was about to get DoWed again, and yup, now i'm in another war with Boudicca.

Ridiculously frustrating game, as i am just trying to basically hold on to my cities and keep from being overrun.

Is it the patch? I don't have the patch yet but noticed the AIs don't seem to carry much cash. I managed to sell one at 240 after a few tries. Usually I'm also able to sell embassies for 25 gold, but the AIs either don't have it or so little they don't want to give me more than 17-22.

I'm having a little trouble keeping the barbs out of my yard. Other than that things are progressing nicely. I got to two natural wonder first. That's two free settlers. It's got to be one of the most powerful UAs, although there's always a risk of not getting them in time of course. But since one was planted right in front I guess getting at least one was pretty much guaranteed. And the other one hidden behind some mountains and CS was also bound to be found first.

Is it the patch? I don't have the patch yet but noticed the AIs don't seem to carry much cash. I managed to sell one at 240 after a few tries. Usually I'm also able to sell embassies for 25 gold, but the AIs either don't have it or so little they don't want to give me more than 17-22.

The amount you get for selling lux/embassies/strategics/etc is all the same.

If you aren't getting the "full" amount it's because that AI doesn't really like you.
(Or if they don't have enough gold then you always get a bit less than full if you do gold + gpt.

For example, if they don't have 240g, you can do 209+1gpt, or 178+2gpt, or 146+2gpt, or 114+4gpt, etc.

But that assuming they actually like you, which usually they don't if they are nearby...

No patch for me, and this might be my last game for a while, as I am on a mac :cry:

I just opened up my conquistador tech a few turns ago, and I need to hook up some resources. I'll build a couple, just because, but I haven't found any new continents to settle. As for the tercios, I have a few longswords I'd like to upgrade, and maybe I'll try to build one or two.

My initial priorities were to scout for some ruins and wonders, and to meet all the other AIs and CSs. I went with Tabarnak's Four City Tradition Opening since there were four good city sites and good CS around. The 500g from the natural wonder was awesome, but I only found two ruins and they both gave me garbage.

I did the shrine tech then the tech for pyramids and draining marshes, then the one for plantations, then hooked up some fishing boats, then teched to get compound bows, then the great lighthouse, then swords, then went for machu pichu, then workshops, then crossbows longswords and trebuchets, then filled some of the top, then the tech to get the conquistadors, then the salt tower thingy. Now I'm going for the scientist tower wonder. then I'll get my Tercio tech, and probably more military, since I'm always under attack.

Austria (turn 50 and turn 100 ish)
Celts (turn 60ish)
Greeks (Turn 70ish and 120ish)

I am a man of peace. Though I have started no wars, I've finished all of them. I took and puppeted Edinburough (nice city), but I can't seem to get strong enough militarily to advance on Greece or Austria. They've both declared twice and made peace twice, and last time Alex gave me all his money, so I guess its all good. Its just been slowing down all of my plans... I am maintaining friendships with the other three players. The swedes are getting on my nerves as they are competing hard for CS and they beat me to Maccu Piccu by one effing turn :mad: But, yeah, we're best friends forever :crazyeye:

Filled out tradition and I have two policies left on the one for working with CS. I don't know if I'll finish that branch before I open rationalism or not.

Well it seems that running under DX10/11 is just fine now. Problem is that the current file is corrupted. I will probably play it again from the turn 0 but i just won't submit it. I started with 4 cities and 3 workers by turn 40 thanks to the UA but i runned into a really big Celts army. I would have probably lose that 4th city close from Celts capital. I delayed Construction for Optics and didn't build enough archers. I was already DoWed by Alex and Austria :eek::lol:

I will try a 3 cities set-up instead and try to avoid Celts before the turn 60. A machinery rush can be very interesting on this map ;)

I have found two wonders fairly early and was hoping to get off to a blistering start ala Tabarnak, 4 cities before t 40 but Austria put a quick stop to that. Since i settled my Mt. kailash city on sugar, it had terrible defence value (8)! so i got scared that with only 1 archer ready and one on the way and limited sight lines it will be overrun, so my 4th settler money got spent on walls :( with walls in place and def of 13 i had no problems dealing with Austrians.

then when i had another wad of cash saved up, Boudica joined in the fun and Dowed around t 62. She had a much more potent force (celtics, warris, archers and SMs) and despite having a defensible position i had only a wounded warrior in town and fearing a loss a city i walled up again. It was prolly a wise move as the celtic hordes kept coming and all my forces were engaged on that front. 2 Comps, 2 archers and 2 warris. Finally she retreated and when i advanced towards her cap she gave me all she got. It was enough for another setter but by then i was working on HG and NC so i delayed sending one out.

Spoiler :

Finally on t 102 i had my cities where i wanted, i was going for a classic Tabarnak Tradition 4 city opening with 5 cities ;) So i am where i wanted to be, only 60 turns late, lol. I figure it will delay my SP aquisition till rationalism becomes available. I wont have cash for buying unis, but i will try to get one in cap at least.

Spoiler :

Both Boudica and Austria paid handsomely for peace, so i abandoned a plan to wipe celts out, and will await another defensive war where i can take her forces out and get paid. I am not sure if i can expect same from maria T. as she is fending off vigorous advances from Alex. I think he was coming after me, his units made it past marrakech to almost my cap, but turned arounf and went after her. Not sure why, was it my upgrading to comps, or allying marrakech, being still friends with him or something random. I would be in real trouble if he continued on. Him and Boudica just jointly denounced me so no more friends but i like his enemies more anyway (pacal) and Gustaf. I am expecting a Dow from him as soon as Austria sues for peace.

Attachments

• gotm47t66.jpg
    gotm47t66.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 606
  • gotm47t102.jpg
    gotm47t102.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 620
Oh wow, another borked GOTM for me.
Last night, saved, 8 happiness.
Today, opened save, -9 happiness.
Nothing was changed since saving and opening today.
WTF!

Also:
Weird thing happening to me...

When i capture a city, it gets auto annexed?!

No pop-up comes out asking what i want to do with the city, it just becomes annexed.
When i received a city in a peace deal THEN it asked me what i wanted to do with the city, but via normal capture (move in a melee unit and take the city) it is just annexing.

Is this a bug for just me because i am using the patched game or is this happening for anyone else?

It's really unfortunate as i cannot puppet anything unless the city is given to me a peace deal. :cry:

Top Bottom