TSG47 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG47 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use your UU's?
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

edit - As the Fall Patch come out this afternoon for windows players, please state in your report which version of the software you used, patched or unpatched. :thanx:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 47
Date submitted: 2012-11-01
Reference number: 27570
Your name: numaru7
Game status: Diplomacy Loss
Game date: 1920AD
Turns played: 340
Base score: 1383
Final score: 1383
Time played: 2:13:00
Submitted save: TSG47_Turn340_DiploLoss.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C504701.Civ5Save

ARGHH!!! :)))) - sweden won with 9 votes at the 2-nd vote (first was 6-6, second 9-2), austria is OP, and i didn't have enough gold.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0015.jpg
    Civ5Screen0015.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 352
Ok, lost, got thrashed by the Celtes, completely rushed, even city states joining the party on boudiccas side.

got still a lot to learn me seems

in hindsight i made the following major mistakes

settled on sugar to the north >> city, no production, a lot of workers need

settled on silk to the west >> too aggro against celtes, did not take them out when i should

lost the science race big time

will see what better players will post.

live and learn

thx a lot for the game, i found it very interesting, see you in TSG48 :D

Patch was just released. Try it again and see if anything significant differences occur. :mischief:

Please state in your report whether you used the patched version, or not. :thanx:

Hi

I run it on a Mac, App Store version, I did not see anything in relation to an update/patch ftm.

So I play without it. My achievements won't be relevant for the leader board anyway before christmas....

as i said, live and learn

Pat

Patch was just released. Try it again and see if anything significant differences occur. :mischief:

Please state in your report whether you used the patched version, or not. :thanx:

shoot, forgot about the patch :)) , it's dl-ing now, i'll replay tommorow to see if anything changes (well ofc it will because i know the map now, but i'll try to start out the same)

shoot, forgot about the patch :)) , it's dl-ing now, i'll replay tommorow to see if anything changes (well ofc it will because i know the map now, but i'll try to start out the same)

well, as soon as i attack with an archer the game freezes and i can only shut down the PC - smth that Civ rarly does, it's just that know i can reproduce it. I'll go post in tech support. Seems like the replaying of this one will take a while.

OK. I will report that I lost on turn 58 because patched Boodica came at my second city with over 6 archers. Never saw the Immortal AI with that many. BEWARE they might be building more troops now.

Ha! It looks like many of us are suffering the same fate! I started out really well - settled in place, found the faith wonder to the N on turn 2 and bought a settler after hitting 2 pop. Settled on the NE hill to grab the wonder from the CS and worked it for a fast pantheon (God of the Sea). Went down Tradition, settled 2 more cities (NW coast for silk/crab) and S for marble (standard 4-city Tradition start). Fast religion with 16 faith/turn and I took Tithe, Pagodas, then Itinerant Preachers and +2 happy temples. Alex declared on me and started attacking my NW city but I easily held him off with 2 composite bows.

However, in the meantime, the Celts were apparently building a massive army. I thought that they were going for my southern city but they did an end-around right for my capital. I rush bought a composite bow and tried to get my northern troops back (through the rough terrain), but she had 2 swords, 4 pictish warriors (those are tough!), 4-5 archers, 2 chariot archers and 2 catapults. I managed to kill off almost all of the melee and both catapults, but I left one of her swords with about 1 health and my capital was down to about 1/3. She had enough ranged left to get my city to 1 hp and her wounded sword finished me off. I was 2 turns from walls (no gold left to rush buy). I thought it was going to be an easy game, but the AI totally surprised me. Fun game.

Date submitted: 2012-11-02
Reference number: 27581
Your name: AE_
Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1605AD
Turns played: 231
Base score: 952
Final score: 2069
Time played: 7:39:00
Submitted save: TSG47_Isabella_0231 AD-1605.Civ5Save
Renamed file: AE__C504701.Civ5Save

Played with the new patch. Had some problems with the AI being very aggressive. Austria, Greek and the Celts declared on me several times.

Waaahhhh, I lost this game in 90 turns... I was wiped out by the Celts! I'll give it another try (but not for the GOTM ofcause).

Reference number: 27584
Your name: Monthar
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 250AD
Turns played: 125
Base score: 115
Final score: 115
Time played: NA
Submitted save: AutoSave_0125 AD-0250.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C504701.Civ5Save

Once again, aggressive AI's near our starting area that start off coveting our lands the instant we meet. Wiped out by the Celts. Immortal is hard enough without stacking the deck against us even further by putting every civ that gets bonuses with city states in a diplomatic game on top of adding AI's known to be highly aggressive (Celts, Greeks and Sweden).

The only good thing about this game is Austria was too broke to buy any of the city states.

My capital was taken on turn 87 and I would have thrown in the towel then, but everyone complained that I don't play the game out anyway so I continued what was a sure loss.

I knew what to do. I was going to be aggressive. I just didnt factor on how much they built so soon. It was the patch.

Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1850AD
Turns played: 295
Base score: 1743
Final score: 2954
Time played: 11:37:00

i actually started playing before the patch release of the patch, but in my second session i could see the new turn processing overlay, so the game must have updated in between. i didnt encounter any obvious bugs or glitches at first and the game seemed to be running smoother, so that was fine. but when the excessive warring started (thanks, Alex!), i noticed that my troops wouldnt get any benefit for nearby great generals and admirals. the combat display always showed a 0% bonus, no matter how far units and generals were apart:

Spoiler :

i had a very long battle for athens that probably would have been over way faster without this bug (and without losing 2 crossbowmen with march and logistics due to stupidity...)

nevertheless, i had a very fun game and am glad i managed to stay under 300 turns. had a very good start, but later messed up the science progress while being dragged into several wars.
i discovered and worked the faith wonder fairly early. i think i enhanced my religion around turn 40 :D
picking holy order helped to fend off the various invasions, although the Celts managed to take Seville for a short time. after the Celts were wiped out and two wars with Greece, i decided to invade Athens and later Stockholm. Alex and Gustav had insane amounts of gold and GPT, lots of wonders, a score and mild tech lead and i was worried they might buy up all the city states later.
near the end i made one big mistake: i forgot that unlike utopia, the UN can be rushed by a GE. that did cost me at least 10 turns...

I lost around Turn 91 :/

I tried to make a grab for the Faith wonder above me and lost to the city-state. I still managed to build semi-okay, points was 5th place, 4th, and I was on the verge of finishing the Great Lighthouse when the Celtics declared war and invaded with what must've been 9-10 units to my 2. It was my first playthrough ever on any difficulty above Prince. Just started playing a week or two ago. Gotta say, it was pretty exciting even for only 30 minutes. I will definitely play again next month :)

PS:
How do I save the game after a defeat? My save file is still on Turn 0. Do I submit the auto-save? Where to? Sorry, but I didn't see instructions in the main ruleset.

It looks like the patch is the clear winner in this one. :lol:

I think I will go back about 10 autosaves and see if I can fend off the Celts. All I needed was walls and maybe getting another unit or 2 back from my northern front to stop their big push on my capital. The game was looking so good up until they blindsided me. Obviously won't count for the purpose of this "competition", but I really want to try to play this out.

I uploaded my file, but it isn't an exact playthrough, sorry. My autosave was 2 turns away from my defeat, so I figured I'd just replicate it and put auto-save on every turn. Unfortunately, my memory sucks and I ended up living like 3-4 turns longer. Idk if this disqualifies me or not, but I didn't get far anyways and it's only my first gotm so it's w/e. Sorry if I broke rules :x

Reference number: 27587
Your name: Soulzityr
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 450BC
Turns played: 97
Base score: 105
Final score: 105
Time played: NA
Submitted save: AutoSave_0097 BC-0450.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Soulzityr_C504701.Civ5Save

I uploaded my file, but it isn't an exact playthrough, sorry. My autosave was 2 turns away from my defeat, so I figured I'd just replicate it and put auto-save on every turn. Unfortunately, my memory sucks and I ended up living like 3-4 turns longer. Idk if this disqualifies me or not, but I didn't get far anyways and it's only my first gotm so it's w/e. Sorry if I broke rules :x
Welcome to GOTM. :wavey:

You should set your autosave interval to 1 so that you can play from there. Especially if you have a crash. No problem with this one. Sure picked a tough one to start with, but read what those who are successful did and learn. I will. :)

Yeah I know. First time ever above Prince. This game motivated me to start my first King playthrough though :) As Spain too because their powers seem interesting to me, when at first whne I first read it I thought it absolutely sucked. But yes, back on topic, is it okay to ask here how do you handle the Celtics? By turn 80-85, I was attacked by 5 composite bowmen and two melee units and a siege unit. How did you guys fend off the Celtics.

Top Bottom