Will we EVER get a "smart" AI?

shadowdale

CFC Drunkard
I don't know why but the AI in all the MoO games have all be stupid when it comes to admitting defeat! Sure they can grow fine and expand and get sci and everything.

But when it comes to a war that the AI is CLEARLY losing they just don't seem to be able to get it into their heads that they can't win....

I am currently in a war, and have been so for like 70 turns, the #2 empire has been reduced from 92 worlds to just 41 by now and they ask for a CF every 5-6 turns and I keep giving them a counteroffer where they give me ONE LOUSY science that I want.

And even then, when I take a break to rebuild and reorganize my ships and troops and the war ends because no hostile actions have been made they come right back and declare on me again. They have not even TRIED to take a single planet from me and they have yet to win any battle but they keep on comming!

I HATE IT WHEN THE AI IS STUPID LIKE THIS :mad:

:sniper:

In answer to the topic: No.

In a little longer answer: No, but... :mischief:

... there will always be the problem that the AI is limited in some extent and sooner or later the human player will detect this limitation and exploit it. Game AI programmers are often quoted with something like:

"A game AI should make a gamers life hard, a feeling of overwhelming odds against him and a sheer impossible opponent at times.
BUT in the end, the gamer must always win, maybe not in the first or second try but eventually every gamer must be able to beat the AI and gain the fulfilling satisfaction of having done the impossible."

Thus, game AIs are never designed to be really better, adaptable and learning, since this would take out the GAME idea behind it all. :eek:

Of course the computer opponent AI of MoO3 is by far not the best example of a good game AI, but not many people will buy a game where a difficulty level Impossible really is so.
:D

All I want is an AI that can admite defeat and stop declaring war on me when it is clearly suicide to do so!

Have you played Civ III? <g> Seriously, though, for as often as the AI in Civ III is maligned, it seems to hold up VERY well against those in other games. Even though they're 'furious' with you they generally hold off on declaring war, and WILL declare war when they need a strategic resource or you're weak, etc.

In MOO3 it seems that your Causus Belli is always -150 with some races and they're the ones that will constantly declare war. I think part of the problem may be that they are Allies with other races (who also probably don't like you) and are getting 'pressured' into it.

That is, I've made some defensive alliances and full alliances and when you do, you'll sometimes get the diplomatic option 'Fulfill Full Obligations' or something like that. I think it means that you want your ally to actually send some ships to help you out, or declare war on one of your enemies.

Actually in Civ3 you can get a limited war with a civ and with time they will get past the event and 'forgive' you. Anyway as peace is signed they will trade with you. In MOO3 it seems that diplomatic relations can only get worth and once a war it started it only ceases for short period but it is never over.

I (human) had a full alliance with Klackon and tried to get them into war with Evons using "Fullfill alliance obligations", but so far I haven't seen any war declarations yet. I checked the diplomatic matrix for entangling alliances or very good relations between them, but their relation was white and (-20,-20)-some all the time.
Klackon has some pretty ships, but they're not willing to deploy them.

However, I (Imsaeis) had the Evons declare on me while we had a defensive alliance at (150+,150+). These Evons had a backwater civ at the rims of the galaxy. The knew nobody but me. I was not doing any harm to them. Maybe it's just their evil Evon nature, or mebby they saw no other way to expand.

Who did say artificial intelligence is better than none at all ;) .

Top Bottom