Earth Reborn (256x206)

Gojira54

The folly of Man
This Earth map was originally done by TETurkhan, but has been heavily modified by me for the Destiny Reborn mod.

Changes include:
- Trimmed off 50 of the rows in the Poles, as Tundra is unsettle-able in DR, resulting in current map size.
- All grasslands and plains are now forested.
- Islands are much more prevalent, especially in the Caribbean and Oceania.
- Some of the "mainland" has changed to accommodate strategically-placed islands.
- Starting locations are DR starting locations.
- Removed TETs terrain improvements

In DR, 22 of the 31 civs are conglomerate nations of existing nations, and the old capitols of these nations will have a strategic element in game. The added islands are not random, they are the capitols of the existing island nations, as accurately placed as they can be on such a sized map.

There will be a few more final, mod-specific changes to the DR Map for when the mod is released, this is base version for generic consumption.

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

North America

South America

Europe

Africa

Asia

Australia

Attachments

• Earth Reborn.rar
    51.9 KB · Views: 812
:) Thanks Balthasar! TET did most of the work, I just revamped it for my purposes.

I should mention that one can still get the dreaded 512 city bug on this map, hence I suggest a few things to put that off until very late in the game:

Make the following terrain unable to support cities:
- Tundra
- Mountain
- Desert
- Marsh

I also increase the amount of food it takes to grow 1 citizen, and increase both the shields an pop cost for building a settler, to slow down growth. You will hit the limit pretty late in the game, when most of the settle-able land is already taken.

Wow, that's so ugly.

Of course I'm talking about the vanilla Civ terrain. ;)
The map is great, must have been a lot of work! Thank you!

Dling immediately :) You could also have Corfu (Kerkyra) as an island in the ionian sea, it is pretty populated (above 200.000 people now) and i would make the Bosphorus open, no tile connecting Europe and Asia. I will use it in my game :)

Thanks for the kind words folks!

Wow, that's so ugly. ... Of course I'm talking about the vanilla Civ terrain. ;)
Agreed! I will not be using the default terrain in DR, yours I might. ;)

You could also have Corfu (Kerkyra) as an island in the ionian sea, it is pretty populated (above 200.000 people now) and i would make the Bosphorus open, no tile connecting Europe and Asia.

I only added the islands that had capitols on them, as the old national capitols in DR are needed for the Victory Point win, and have another minor strategic benefit as well. That having been said I am certainly not opposed to adding Corfu off the west coast of the Greece\Albania border :) As far as Bosphorus goes, I considered opening it up (TETs map is as this map is here) to allow sea trade into the Black Sea, but then you would have the unrealistic situation where land un its on one side could not cross to the other, and have to go around the Black Sea to get there. Much easier for Greece to take over Turkey if they can just cross... ;) I will say that the current map does create a fresh water lake right there, allowing irrigation, and the does bother me, so I probably will open up the southern land connection and keep the northern, where Istanbul is. This also allows some extra strategy - in order to avoid going around the Black Sea, you'll need to either take or destroy Istanbul, if you don't already own it! ;) If you do already own it, that would also serve as a port between the Black Sea and the oceanic network.

The map still has the problem of the original TETurkan map, that most parts of Europe in that map are too small for a historical setting and gameplay.

A pic of my changes to the wonderful map:
Spoiler :

Kyriakos, in my eyes the screenshot shows, that some of your cities are too big. Big parts of the cities are "swimming" in the sea.

The map still has the problem of the original TETurkan map, that most parts of Europe in that map are too small for a historical setting and gameplay.

For the purposes of the mod I am intending this for, the size of Europe works out just fine. Europe only has 5 nations, and is the second smallest continent in terms of civs, only greater than Oceania.

North Europe (London, København, Birmingham)
Westeuropa (Berlin, Paris, Hamburg)
Sud Europa (Madrid, Athínai, Roma)
Europa Wschodnia (Kyïv, Minsk, Budapest)
Rossija (Moskva, Sankt Peterburg, Novosibirsk)

It should still work just fine for those looking to have a less "Europe-centric" global map. For someone looking to create a realistic WWII scenario, I would agree with you. It is all about intentions for the maps usage ;)

For the purposes of the mod I am intending this for, the size of Europe works out just fine. Europe only has 5 nations, and is the second smallest continent in terms of civs, only greater than Oceania.

North Europe (London, København, Birmingham)
Westeuropa (Berlin, Paris, Hamburg)
Sud Europa (Madrid, Athínai, Roma)
Europa Wschodnia (Kyïv, Minsk, Budapest)
Rossija (Moskva, Sankt Peterburg, Novosibirsk)

It should still work just fine for those looking to have a less "Europe-centric" global map. For someone looking to create a realistic WWII scenario, I would agree with you. It is all about intentions for the maps usage ;)

Gojira54, of course I´m aware that this map will be a part of your upcoming very interesting mod and suited very well for the purposes of this mod :) - but like most worldmaps it wouldn´t be a very good choice not only for WWII scenarios, but even more for a somewhat realistic epic game.

Top Bottom