News: TSG48 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 48
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the forty-eighth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Science victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Haile Selassie and lead The Ethiopian Empire to victory. It's a mystery map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Science victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until December 15nd to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have our Mac players with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

**The Fall Patch hasn't been released for the Mac version of Civ 5 and may not be playable for Mac users. We hope this is remedied as soon as possible.**

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. In addition, once you receive your two free techs from Rationalism, and should you switch to Piety, you may not switch back to Rationalism to gain an additional two free techs. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG48 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Haile Selassie - Ethiopia
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.13. This includes the new Fall Patch. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Haile Selassie, you possess The Spirit of Adwa. You gain a Combat bonus (+20%) when fighting units from a Civilization with more Cities than Ethiopia.

You can build the Stele, which replaces the Monument. It increases the Culture and Faith of a city, speeding the growth of the city's territory and the civilization's acquisition of Social Policies and Religions. Only Ethiopia may build it.

You can also train the Mehal Sefari, which replaces the Rifleman. They start with promotions that give them bonuses fighting in rough terrain and near their capital. They are slightly cheaper to build than the Rifleman that they replace. Only Ethiopia may train it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for 1 month and ends Saturday, 15 December 2012.

The Save can be found here.

I think I will settle 1 east to have the cow in the first ring.

I'm tempted to settle 1 east as well :) But also to reach more land tiles for growth. The lake can provide +1 :c5food: for all tiles around with Civil Service. Machu Pichu and maybe a little detour to astronomy can be valuable here especially if we are stuck on a continent.

I dont see much food. I'm going to OCC, let the others grow and maybe they can contribute to research via RA.

Oops! I think the Mac Fall Patch hasnt been released? This game has the Fall Patch in it. Leif, is this the case?

I confirm it crashes when opening on MAC. And yes I confirm AFAIK patch is not out for MAC. Any workarounds? I will happily play out of competition if you can make this work in any way for us Mac Users

Thx

Pat

Oops! I think the Mac Fall Patch hasnt been released? This game has the Fall Patch in it. Leif, is this the case?
Yes, I'm afraid the Fall Patch put the Mac users a patch behind again. Sorry. :sad:

I confirm it crashes when opening on MAC. And yes I confirm AFAIK patch is not out for MAC. Any workarounds? I will happily play out of competition if you can make this work in any way for us Mac Users

Thx

Pat
None that I know of. We get the patch through autoupdates and I do not know how to go back again.

Food's tough in the first ring if you settle in place, which I plan to do. Advantages of being on the coast outweigh the first-ring food, IMHO. Furthermore, that additional production from the hill will let me build one of them Stele things quick, which will help with border expansion.

I'm going to try this I'm going to start tomorow on my first Game of the month series and i disabled autosaves:)

I'm a little bit concerned about the start that there aren't that many grass tiles. So not many spaces for accedemies

I like the look of the jungle to the north. On Prince, should work well to blanket the jungle with trading posts and then rake in the science from them once Education & Universities arrive.

Advantages of being on the coast outweigh the first-ring food, IMHO.

And these advantages would be...? The only one I can think of is early exploration with a trireme, which may or may not be useful depending on the map. And you can always settle another city on the coast as there will be plenty of time before getting Sailing (low priority tech) anyway. I think I would only settle in place if there were several sea resources. The lack of tiles to place academies is a deal-breaker for me with regard to settling in place.

I'd settle in place, because the settler is on a coastal riverside hill next to a mountain. Since that gens is showing 4 gold, working it from turn 1 should let me buy the cows tile fairly quickly. Plus, I can get the stele built a turn sooner than if I moved, which means faster culture and getting the pantheon sooner.

I'd settle in place, because the settler is on a coastal riverside hill next to a mountain. Since that gens is showing 4 gold, working it from turn 1 should let me buy the cows tile fairly quickly. Plus, I can get the stele built a turn sooner than if I moved, which means faster culture and getting the pantheon sooner.

Interesting, Montar...not a bad conclusion. But i still prefer extra food from inner land. RedRover pretty much said what i'm thinking overall.

A few interesting things to note about the starting pic:

1) In the top left corner, you can just see that the hill there is most likely a peninsula. That means the three ring in that direction will most likely be coastal tiles, rather than jungle.

2) The gems to the SW of us produce *4* gold, not 3, so there must be another river down there. Tempted to move SW instead of SiP or East, and hope there's good farmland down there.

3) At the very bottom-right corner of the hill E-SE, you can see what appears to be another lake, or possibly coast.

Plan: move warrior E then SW onto hill, see how it looks, and then probably move east and settle there. Though I must admit, staying on the coast and buying the cow tile sounds like it might work as well.

Good analysis neuro. I thought that looked like river to north not coast and I can't see lake. I'm looking on my phone at work though so not clear. Well spotted on gems being river. wonder what else is down there?

I'm edging towards 1E because of more land tiles. there's also one jungle that in place won't reach.
do you guys always build banana plantation? 4 food 2 science with uni and granny is a good tile.

Settling in place is not really an option considering no 2 :c5food: tiles in the first ring. Cap needs to grow fast. I think I will settle 1e.

What a great defensive position for the capitol. No one is taking that city.

it's on prince, no one will try to take that city anyway ;)

i'll settle in place and hope for some sea resources.

Top Bottom