TSG48 Game in Progress

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG48 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- Did you do anything exciting with your UU's?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

I opened with Liberty and did a Great Library to Philo move while I teched to Math. I took Monument to the Gods and slow cooked my faith. Built HG and teched up to Education but side tracked to boats and light houses. I bought 2 triremes.

I did pretty much the same thing as budweiser

Rushed Great Library, got the Oracle, have two cities on my main. I screwed up hard though and settled a third city on the two hex island to the left. No idea why I did that. Many turns later I finally explored south and found a nice little perch to settle another city. :/ It's unfortunate.

Overall just mantaining a good steady gain in science, so I guess I'll still finish decent, but not good.

I settled 1 east on the lake for the cow in ring 1, went tradition and built GL. Built National College immediately then built and bought a settler. 1 went to the island south, then other next to the other mountain to the east on our starting island. Finished Oracle as soon as Commerce tree was open, will likely finish the left side for the +3 production in all non capital cities and then rationalism. Also built Hanging Gardens, Hagia, Chichenitza. One more settler to the island west and another southeast to grab the natural wonder. The free Great Admiral helped me meet all the other civs as I finished Astronomy. Trade of resources completed, religion completed (Tithe, Pagodas, Swords into Plowshares, increased spread distance). Growth, scientists, RAs, tech to win.

Update turn 106 :

After moving warrior E and SW, i decided to settle 1 east from starting position.

Started with scout-worker-granary until 4 :c5citizen:-settler

Also decided to go full Tradition after realizing that i'm on a little island.

Techs : Pottery-Mining-Sailing-Writing-Calendar-Bronze Working

Religion so far : Swords into plowshare, Tithe

I rush bought a trireme in 2nd city to explore east. I discovered a map ruin showing me that the east part of map is potentially reachable farther.

I stole a worker from Genoa. I started the GL in capital and finishing a library in Harar.

Spoiler :

After more exploration times i discovered a nice city spot south of the main land. I took Philo with the GL and started a settler from Harar. I found 3 civs, ready to sell my first luxury, the 2nd gem.

Spoiler :

2 turns later, my scout has been at the right place at the right time. Theodora failed when she lost his settler to barbs and even with 2 warriors i managed to capture his settler for another free worker :goodjob:. Addis finished the NC during that turn.

Spoiler :

Here is a weird thing i saw when exploring...no commentaries...feel free to comment. I found later that Vatican is situated at 15+ tiles from this unique and weird tile(i got 15 :c5gold: btw)

Spoiler :

The initial scout and warrior converged to west from Hiawtha and found nice land to settle. We allied with Florence after killing a barb camp.

Spoiler :

Addis also built the Hanging Gardens. We rush bought a settler and started another one. These 2 settlers are for the land north west of here close from Hiawatha.

Spoiler :

I put some hammers in Oracle but i'm waiting for the ren. era to finish it. I built Chichen Itza in capital and i'm trying to gather :c5gold: for cs allies and future science buildings. Tradition has been completed around the turn 95 thanks to Florence. Time to grow these cities and watch Hiawatha carefully. 2 archers are coming and ready to be upgraded if needed.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Settling 1 east is still a very good decision. I don't regret my choice so far.

Here is a weird thing i saw when exploring...no commentaries...feel free to comment. I found later that Vatican is situated at 15+ tiles from this unique and weird tile(i got 15 btw)

Perhaps Attila razed Vatican? :crazyeye:

I had a strange glitch too. Valetta was located on a water tile. I do experience severe graphical glitches since the patch though.

Update turn 106 :
Here is a weird thing i saw when exploring...no commentaries...feel free to comment. I found later that Vatican is situated at 15+ tiles from this unique and weird tile(i got 15 :c5gold: btw)

Spoiler :

Yeah, I can explain this. That was an original placement for Vatican but i moved it to where it is now much later after reassessing the whole map. The problem is with WorldBuilder I think. It is a program glitch of some kind that frustrated map builders. Ive run into it several times on other map builds. If you place a CS but dont remove it by using 'undo' or ctrl-Z but instead remove it using the 'Clear Plot' button it leaves the border remnant in place even thought the city is no longer there. I even deleted all resources, removed the land and replaced it with ocean, etc. Nothing removes that border graphic except a timely ctrl-Z or undo click. I would have had to undo an hours worth of adjustments then redo them again.

I still cant get through a map without making some graphical or tile-related problem, haha. My apologies. I dont think it will affect gameplay which is the only thing I'm hoping for.

@Moriarte: I just went and checked my map save. Valetta is indeed a city floating on boats. They must not be that advanced a city, haha. I made a mistake in the placement when I thought a tile was there, that or accidentally changed the tile to a coast with my my mouse wheel. :wallbash: Where's the 'egg on your face' emoticon? I need to hotkey it.

I seem to have a weird bug with the cattle tile near my capital. It gives me +1 production even with out a pasture. The +1 production appeared to tile yield icon after I made the pasture but the +1 prod was present without a pasture according to total production in the city screen.

Anyone else noticed this?

Interesting. This I havent noticed. Do you have a screencap to help see where the extra hammer came from?

I seem to have a weird bug with the cattle tile near my capital. It gives me +1 production even with out a pasture. The +1 production appeared to tile yield icon after I made the pasture but the +1 prod was present without a pasture according to total production in the city screen.

Anyone else noticed this?

Did you build a Staple? It gives +1 production to unimproved pasture tiles.

Did you build a Staple? It gives +1 production to unimproved pasture tiles.

Nope. And I don't have screenshots or autosave so far back. However I tried to reproduce it by starting a new game but wasn't able.
Maybe I miscalculated eventhough I triple checked it the first time :lol:

i wouldnt bother with it until you are done and have uploaded. there is always an InitialAutosave kept beyond the max number of saves you have it set to. you might could try that rather than a new start when you are done.

This is me at turn 117, I have just settled my 6th and final city:

Spoiler :

This game feels really slow compared to a game on a bigger land mass. But it is fun to try something different.

Attachments

• 2012-11-16_00001.jpg
    2012-11-16_00001.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 741
- Did you do anything exciting with your UU's?
UU doesn't come along till much later.

- What were your initial priorities?
Once i realized i was alone a on little island, i focused on growing my cap. Got GL and grabbed free Philosophy. Next i went to Math and grabbed Hanging Gardens. Then National College. Then i finally worked on popping out more Settlers. Civil Service then Chitzen Itza.

- What tech path did you follow?
My normal rush to Education (with whatever additional lower techs are needed; in this case Optics)
t108 tech tree:
Spoiler :

- Were there any early wars and who started them?
I'm trying to stay out of war. Hiawatha is beating up on Byzantine though.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
All Tradition, will have to take Commerce opener, and then should be in Renaissance by the next one to go Rationalism.

Went Fertility Rites + Tithe + Pagodas so far, haven't enhanced yet.
I think Fertility Rites was the wrong choice; shoulda probably went Messenger of the Gods even though it's really slow getting Harbors up?
I don't know why i thought i'd be using faith for anything other than buying GS...no idea why i went Pagodas, but ah well.

Homefront t108
It took forever to settle my fourth city by Cerro de Potosi due to three billion barbs making it hell, but i eventually got it where i wanted (just east of Cerro de Potosi)
Spoiler :

I should really settle some more cities i suppose, but i hate having them so far away from home.

Probably my highlight of the game so far is getting The Pyramids on t125 LOL!

This is me at turn 117, I have just settled my 6th and final city:

Spoiler :

This game feels really slow compared to a game on a bigger land mass. But it is fun to try something different.

Maximum settle 5 cities and gondor is in a really bad spot..

keep in mind that every city expands you're social policies and you want to finsih rationalisme as fast ass possible :goodjob:

I settled spicy cotton island to the south just before IW was in. I settled on the spice next to the deer. Boy did I regret that. Still not bad, but missed out on more production.

Secondary cities were pretty slow to get up, even though the capital is a juggernaut with Hanging Gardens.

I know Tabarnak is awesome, but I still think SIP was better here. For little difference I think you gain a lot more food and production by settling in place.

I went Tradition as usual and stayed at four cities. Always wonder if Liberty is a better option on Archi maps. I missed out on a lot of resources and some good cities by not expanding more, but the SP cost is an issue with more cities. I still should have settled more.

arrgh! Blew my mind that Izzy beat me to Oracle. I was trying to time Oracle to an Astro bulb and the turn before this was all set to happen, Izzy finishes Oracle. I could have easily finished it otherwise, although it would not have timed right. Izzy was wonder whoring "relatively" for this level. Missing Oracle really threw off my game by not getting that Rationalism opener. Ended up having to open Commerce, which I really did not ended to do. The extra gold did not hurt but I wanted all my SPs in Rationalism and Freedom.

Despite early sailing/optics, I want more east/west than North which meant that despite revealing a ton of the map early, I still failed to meet a lot of AIs until much later.

The Byz have been almost worthless this whole time except for a little early gold. I met them very early by sending my scout through Genoa as their scout had just reached the bottom of her island. Turns out the Byz are pretty much always at war with Hiawatha, who I did not meet until much later for stupid reasons. Therefore, she had negative gold for a very very very long time.

keep in mind that every city expands you're social policies and you want to finsih rationalisme as fast ass possible :goodjob:
Anyone else think Lord of the Rings (Gondor) every time they see Gondar for Ethiopia? :lol:

It's not that bad of a city site. I was actually thinking of settling there myself but just never got around to it.

1. You're next to Old Faithful, which gives you some happiness and research. I also believe (someone please confirm) that settling next to Old Faithful should qualify you for an Observatory (but not Machu Picchu / Neuschwanstein). That makes it decent for a Science game.

2. Most of the tiles are pretty sucky, but you do get 5 Fish tiles. Once you get a Lighthouse going with Work Boats, those yield 5 food each. 2 hammers too with Harbor + Seaport.

I have some help from the God of the sea, so I hope Gondor will be alright...

Regarding number of cities I tend to build more cities when I don't expect a really fast finish time. Usually the extra cities will have time to become big in this kind of game and really helps with science in the end. If this was played on a continent I would probably have stopped at four cities.

Good point AE. You managed to get a city east of Siam which i couldn't because he blocked the way to that island. Your Gondor city spot would be bad for me because i took 10% growth instead of god of seas(mainly because my capital didn't need it).

I have now played to the turn 139. i missed Oracle by 6 turns around the turn 125. That's a huge hit. I decided to build Terracotta and ally another cultural cs to compensate for the future. I will probably lose 10-15 turns for my finish time just because of that. My cities near Hiawatha are growing fast though. I like their spots. I'm now at 220 bpt with an observatory in my capital.

I reloaded the game once at the turn 115 because there is an annoying bug occuring since last patch when the AI ask you to redo a trade before a turn begins. Sometimes, it shows 2 copies of a lux to sell and when i accept the deal i lose 4 happiness and the lux isn't in my list anymore(so in fact i only had 1 copy but it showed as 2 in the trade screen). It happened at several times from many games. This is not fair at all so i reloaded this part.

Top Bottom