Norway in distress, Africans pledge to help

Breezy V is the man!

In any case, the message of Radi-Aid is pretty spot on. Developmental organizations paint a picture of Africa that doesn't reflect the actual triumphs and state of Africa. I think this is a really smart way to address that.

Um. Well, I can sort of see what they're saying.

But is it true that Africans as a whole don't suffer from poverty and famine any more? I'd love that to be true. Unfortunately I don't think it's even close to being a reality.

Still, if it makes people think a bit about being patronizing, but doesn't put them off contributing to the development of infrastructure and relief aid, it's a good thing, imo.

I love how the Norwegian Students’ and Academics’ International Assistance Fund felt the need to subtitle it all.

The problem these Africans have is that they're out of touch with what people here actually need.

A lot of people up north have radiators already, the real problem is insulation. If Africans would just send us their money, we could get skilled people up here to do the job of installing insulation.

What they're proposing is only a stopgap solution to a problem which really needs to be worked on with an eye to the long term.

Look, it's their own stupid fault living up there near the Arctic circle. Any idiot would know that it gets cold up there and crops simply won't grow at that temperature. Plus all the fresh water is frozen.

But what do these stupid Norwegians do? Do they move south? Do they fiddlesticks! Instead they huddle together for warmth, and have more babies!!!!!

A sterilization programme is seriously needed here. NOT more money.

I blame Swedish imperialism.

We did cut them off.

But is it true that Africans as a whole don't suffer from poverty and famine any more?
Famine? I surely would not think so. Sure every year or so there is a famine going on, but by far not on the whole continent - or in the whole of black Africa. Poverty? Hm well... I suppose there still is a lot of poverty. But I wouldn't really say that a majority "suffers from" it but simply lives in it. They still live. Like we do.

Isn't Portugal receiving help from their former colony Angola, or something?

But, seriously we do have big impending problems. There is still a lack of butter for the Christmas season, and this is especially a problem because foreign butter have different consistencies, cooking times and so on than the types of butter we're used to. We can risk that someone puts butter which is only suited for toast in the Christmas cookies.

So I'm not sure if there will be a Christmas for Norway this year

Famine? I surely would not think so. Sure every year or so there is a famine going on, but by far not on the whole continent - or in the whole of black Africa. Poverty? Hm well... I suppose there still is a lot of poverty. But I wouldn't really say that a majority "suffers from" it but simply lives in it. They still live. Like we do.
Yeah, well. You're right. In a way. When I said "as a whole", I really should have said major important famines still happen from time to time in "some part" of Africa.

And grinding poverty is no fun wherever in the world you are. It's kind of the definition of poverty.

some crappy charity wont get norway back on its own feet. the natives there need to sort things out themselves, leave them alone, africa.

Yeah, well. You're right. In a way. When I said "as a whole", I really should have said major important famines still happen from time to time in "some part" of Africa.

And grinding poverty is no fun wherever in the world you are. It's kind of the definition of poverty.
No it is not. Poor nations can (and are) at times even be assumed to provide better lives than rich nations. But no doubt poverty also causes suffering. The point just is that life isn't necessarily some big suffering for it. But that is kind of implied by the way we advertise charity.
And I think part of the problem is also that in rich societies domestic poverty is associated with people who have personal issues and utterly unfulfilled lives. However, naturally, such an association isn't just transferable to poverty found world-wide. Poverty is actually dual in its meaning. It is about absolute monetary or material wealth, but also relative social standing. And social standing is very very important to the quality of life, but varies strongly in different nation. Which brings us to the issue of respect.

Well, see now. Poverty means, for me, having insufficient to eat, inadequate housing, inadequate sanitation, poor access to fresh water, not having access to education. These kinds of things.

Well, see now. Poverty means, for me, having insufficient to eat, inadequate housing, inadequate sanitation, poor access to fresh water, not having access to education. These kinds of things.

Insufficient relative to what?

But is it true that Africans as a whole don't suffer from poverty and famine any more? I'd love that to be true. Unfortunately I don't think it's even close to being a reality.

Still, if it makes people think a bit about being patronizing, but doesn't put them off contributing to the development of infrastructure and relief aid, it's a good thing, imo.

Believe it or not but some African cities are actually developed industrialized urban cities with access to food, water, housing, plumbing, education and internet. :eek: :rolleyes:

Isn't Portugal receiving help from their former colony Angola, or something?

I remember reading something a while ago about how the unemployed Portuguese workers are migrating to Mozambique to find work. :confused:

But, seriously we do have big impending problems. There is still a lack of butter for the Christmas season, and this is especially a problem because foreign butter have different consistencies, cooking times and so on than the types of butter we're used to. We can risk that someone puts butter which is only suited for toast in the Christmas cookies.

So I'm not sure if there will be a Christmas for Norway this year
You're right, even the Colbert Report has already covered the infamous Norwegian butter shortages.

This is like everything I have been trying to say about how bad Band Aid is, but in one song. I love it :D

Top Bottom