Change main menu image?

Whoops! Seems like a compatibility issue with EUI - I'll live without EUI :)

Okay, so I took a look into this and I've been able to get it to show a single image, just by replacing "CivilzationVAtlas.dds" with whatever the filename is of the dds you want to use - only works with ingame images though. What I need to try and figure out now, though, is how to point to something which shares a filename - if I point to "CivilzationVAtlas.dds" it shows me the one for the relevant expansion, in this case the factories for BNW. If I want to point to Atlas from Vanilla though, I can't, because the filename is the same as the BNW one. Any idea how to point to Vanilla's one?

Oh, sorry. A fake DLC is still an option, but the easy method would be to extract the one you want from the FPK, put it anywhere you like in the assets folder, then set LooseFilesOverridePAK = 1 in your config.ini.

Tried the extraction method, but for some reason it's saying it can't load it, and I end up with a red background, like what happens when the image isn't loading. I have a feeling it's because the file isn't imported to the VFS, but I don't know how I would go about doing that with the base game files

Ah, turns out the files are named civilzationvatlas.dds, which is why it wasn't working when I typed civilization right. But even with that fixed and the right files sitting loose with LooseFilesOverridePAK set to 1, still doesn't seem to want to work. If it's set to CivilzationVatlas.dds it shows the BNW background, if I change the path and filenames to civilizationvatlas.dds (and index) it shows a red screen again

Sorry that I never bothered to check my suggestions. Anyway, I can confirm this works:
With LooseFilesOverridePAK enabled, rename the vanilla copy of civilzationvatlas.dds to civilzationvatlas-vanilla.dds or something (with an accompanying civilzationvatlas-vanilla-index.dds. Note I already had the files converted to .png with this tool, and then converted that to a standard .dds that doesn't require an index file, but either way should work). Then change the Assets\UI\FrontEnd\FrontEnd.lua to refer to your renamed file.

Hmm, still didn't work. Only thing I can think of that would be different is the dds format I used when converting it back from the png. I'll try a few other ones, see if anything works.

EDIT: Still no luck - would you be able to upload your dds file, and I'll give that a shot?

Sweet, thanks. At first it didn't work (when I had it placed in the DX9 folder) but then I added it to about five other folders in the civ 5 section and it worked. So I'm not sure which one of them made it work, but one did. Thanks Nutty!

Attachments

• 2015-02-04_00001.jpg
    2015-02-04_00001.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 278
I read in this thread that the frontend.lua file is preloaded and cannot be modded, which explains why my changes there seem uneffective.
But What really puzzles me is that on one of my computers, changes ARE effective...
Anyone knows how this is possible ?

It can't be modded, i.e., a mod you select from the mods menu can't do it, but that's not to say it can't be changed (as above) by manual file changes in the installation folder.

Something not mentioned above (because I was not aware at the time) is that you want to make sure the file date of the replacement is newer than the file it's replacing.

Actualy I tested my mod on three computers in my house, without manipulating manualy any additional file, and it worked on my mother's computer. I was very surprised and can't get to have the same result on my own computer, but hers did display the custom background and custom menu options like I intended them in the mod.
Then again, her computer often has surprising behaviours that I cannot reproduce on mine.

EDIT that's why I was looking on the forum for an explanation of why it worked on some computers and not on others, and ended up here.

Of course it's not magic. But there are sometimes so many more parameters to take into account than the few we know of that it can "look" like it... my programming teachers used to say, sacrificing a chicken before compiling might as well be an option xD
Well I will investigate that dates thing, thanks for the advice.

Just found this and wanted to add, if you use EUI it seems you have to change the FrontEnd.lua there as well for it to work. (btw thanks for the file Nutty!)

Top Bottom