Deity Plus 1 Classic Succession Game 2

Zelig

Beep Boop
A second deity+1 classic succession game!

So we need to decide on the following:

Map (Size, Land Mass normal or large, Land Form normal or archipelago, Climate, Temperature, Age, Shape)
Normal to large. 80x80, 70x90
Flat
Land Mass: Normal
Land Form: Varied
Climate: Wet
Temperature: Warm

Number of Civs: 6

Barbarian Activity: choices; from Raging Hordes to +2 :satan:
Barb Wrath (+1)

Our Civ
Vikings,
Sweyn Forkbeard
Harald Bluetooth

Civ Restart on or off - On if Barbarian Wrath

Difficulty: Diety+1

Players:

Andu Indorin
Duke of Marlbrough
Kev
TheViking
TimTheEnchanter
Zelig

If you would like to play too, post so here.

Edits/choices are in italics

I'm in !

As for settings I prefer a normal size map or bigger (how about a flat map for a change ?). Raging hordes would be nice. Barbarian wrath (=raging hordes+1) could be interesting though but if we want a more difficult game I'd have preferred deity+2 rather than more barbarians. The change in difficulty from d+1 to d+2 is probably bigger than from deity to d+1.

I, of course, am in.

As I say elsewhere, I like challenging terrain; but a "flat" map presents interesting challenges as well. D+2 huh? We can give that a try. I have nothing against losing;) We could try D+2 and Barb Wrath. But if we try Barb Wrath, we should decide whether or not to restart destroyed civilizations in case some of the AI civs fall early. ...

Any suggestions for an interesting leader to play under? (How about a Frenchmen that actually fights? Just kidding ...)

Ooh! Pick me! :wavey: I'd like to give it a shot, but I'll warn you...I've never tried D+1 yet. If any of you experienced with it think I should try it myself first, I certainly understand and will watch from the sidelines.

Also, I just downgraded my MGE to FW version a couple weeks ago using Cedric's stuff... Is that ok to run D+1 games and will it be compatible with everyone else, or do I somehow have to downgrade even further to get to Classic?

Originally posted by TimTheEnchanter
Ooh! Pick me! :wavey: I'd like to give it a shot, but I'll warn you...I've never tried D+1 yet. If any of you experienced with it think I should try it myself first, I certainly understand and will watch from the sidelines.

Also, I just downgraded my MGE to FW version a couple weeks ago using Cedric's stuff... Is that ok to run D+1 games and will it be compatible with everyone else, or do I somehow have to downgrade even further to get to Classic?

I'm o.k. with you playing, any 1 person won't play for very long and will have everyone else's advice for their turns. It wouldn't hurt for you to try a test deity+ game to get a feel for the differences. (not to beat just mavbe 15 minutes to try).

You will have to downgrade FW to classic, but you can do so in a separate folder and have both on your system. Starlifter did the same in the first deity+1 game. Here are his instructions on how to downgrade to classic.

How many players should we have max?

I seriously doubt that D+2 with barbarian wrath can be won unless we are very lucky with terrain, location of other civs etc. D+2 with raging hordes was extremely difficult to win when I tried it but that may have been partly due to lack of practice (I've only tried it once). Also we should ask ourselves if we are ready to accept the public humiliation of possibly becoming the first (?) team to actually lose a succession game here :D. On second thought D+1 with barbarian wrath may be a better idea than D+2 since not everyone here has even tried D+1 (maybe D+2 could then be tried sometime in the future).

My views on a few of the things to be decided:

Map size should be normal to large (something like 80x80 or 70x90 might be a nice compromise). A flat map might be interesting as indicated earlier, I've rarely tried it but it can feel like you are playing on a bigger map than you really are.

Landmass normal or large, varied or archipelago.

Number of civs 7. I almost always play with restarts on but having restarts off is OK.

If we play D+2 maybe we should play the French since being peaceful will be very important for a long time ;). Actually I really don't care too much which civ we play, the Russians and Americans have been popular, also the Vikings would be nice ;).

So, we are playing this on 2.42, right?

I'm for Deity+1 with barbarian wrath.

Tim, when you downgraded your MPG to FW using Cedric's patch, there should be a file in the directory called Civ2orig.exe. That is 2.42 classic edition. BTW, hopefully you did your downgrade in a separate directory so that way you have access to MPG and FW/Classic.

Attachments

• mpg_fw.jpg
    mpg_fw.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 397
I'd prefer playing on D+1 with barbarian wrath, or D+2 with raging hordes.

I like square maps. :)
A flat map would be an interesting change, but it doesn't really matter to me.

I don't really care about the terrain as long as we don't have large land mass and continents.

I'm also for 7 civs and restarts on.

I also don't care which civ we play, maybe we could just choose determined on who the key civ will be.

Thanks! I now have a downgraded Civ242 (yes I have separate directories). I wasn't sure how different/incompatible the versions were. I didn't see any "CivOrig" file, but I installed the old 2.4.2 patch from the regular patch section of downloads and it appears to be working. That sounded like what starlifter did in that other succ. game thread. I'll try to test compatibility once things get going.

I was able to start up a D+1 game, just to see how it worked, but didn't play long enough to really get a feel for the problems. I'll definitely poke around with it some more before my turn rolls around.

Well, I've never played on a flat map, and I think that could present an interesting challenge, especially if we start in one of the "corners" of a standard "large map" world. I'm fine with DoM's recommendations: Normal, Varied, Wet, Warm, 5 billion. If we want a fairly "flat" world, we might want to stick with D+1, since AI civs tend to be more proficient on "flat" maps than in more "realistic" terrain. Why don't go with Barb Wrath +1 and Civ restarts on. It might also be interesting to go with 6 civilizations instead of 7; it's been a long time since I've seen a "civil war."

As for our Civilization, how about the Vikings? I haven't played them in ages, and they've got the potential for colorful write-ups. Canute (or Cnut) the Great is a fairly "colorless" name as Vikings go; how about Canute's father, Sweyn Forkbeard, or his grandfather, Harald Bluetooth?

I have not often played Barbarian wrath but that's no problem. But - is it possible that barbarian wrath might actually make the game easier for us instead of more difficult if large numbers of barbarians frequently pop up near the AI cities ?

Actually I do not remember the exact difference from raging hordes except that barbarians can appear in huge numbers (dozens !). Does this apply when popping huts, to barbarians from the sea, barbarians from uninhabited areas or all of this ?

Apart from this I'm happy with the proposed settings. I prefer Harald Bluetooth to Sweyn Forkbeard since it's a little more similar to his name in my native language (and the way the name really should be written if you ask me ! ;))

On the spellings of names, my "Viking" library is in Pennsylvania, and my brother's resources on the topic are quite slim. So how is Sweyn supposed to be spelled?

On Barb wrath, I've noticed two basic results. In first result, Barbarian sea raiders are far more prevalent, and usually carry five or six military units. In the second result, Barbarian sea activity is roughly same as Raging Hordes, but many land-based uprisings contain 99 military units.

As for huts, Barbarians are still limited to a maximum of one unit per square.

Originally posted by Andu Indorin
On the spellings of names, my "Viking" library is in Pennsylvania, and my brother's resources on the topic are quite slim. So how is Sweyn supposed to be spelled?
This depends on exactly whom you ask - I'd write it Sveinn but you might also see Svein, Sven and Svend.

The full names would be "Sveinn Tjúguskegg" (Forkbeard is an English translation of Tjúguskegg) and "Haraldr Blátönn" but using the English names here is not something that would insult me greatly ;). So we could use Svein Forkbeard or Haraldr (or Harald) Bluetooth.

Having just returned from having a root canal, for some reason Haraldr Bluetooth sounds pretty game.

DoM: As for setup files, once the game is started for Deity plus and Barb wrath, everyone who plays the game will get the same settings. When the game loads up you will get the message "Difficulty Level: Worshipful", which means Deity +1. (This is because with unmodified Game.txt file, the game jumps to the top of the diplomacy menu when looking for the difficulty menu.)

If everyone is agreed on the settings, I think we can go ahead and start. I've generated a map according to the settings (without looking at it, of course) and have attached it. Since Zelig has started this current project, I recommend that he start the game with the Bluetooth character.

FYI: my e-mail is AStoll2525@aol.com

Top Bottom