TSG49 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG49 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use your UU's?
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
- What effect did fewer AI and more space have on your strategy?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game:
Civ5 GOTM 49
Culture Victory
Game date:
1962AD
Turns played:
Base score:
Final score:
Time played:
6:21:00
Alright, well at least this time I achieved the correct victory. I started out by moving a tad south setting up next to the river by the desert and than I took Desert Folklore as my pantheon. Once I got religion and enhanced it I took Tithe, Cathedrals, Pagodas and Text. Thinking that the money would come in handy and religious buildings would help with culture.
I opened the Tradition policy to get the 3cp's in the Capital for the entire game and to be setup for Legalism when I teched for Ampitheators. Then I worked on Liberty and finished it, then I had to open Patronage to deal with Alexander. It took me a while to find the cultural CS but when I did I was gifting them GA's to keep them as allies. I think I probably had about 5 Great improvements but I was using alot of GA's as gifts. In the meantime I opened and closed Piety. I have to say it was the first time I ever used that branch in G&K's. Freedom was my 5th policy. I had to go back and finish Tradition in the end so I could start the Utopia Project.
I only had 4 cities but I should probably have had a 5th to round out my borders. Effing Egypt DoWed me fairly early and WOULD NOT take a peace deal unless I gave up Birka so we were at war the entire game. I also made the mistake of signing a Defense Pact with Netherlands thinking it would keep him off my back only to have the idiot DoW Alexander in the Atomic Era. Let me tell you Crossbowman don't deal with Battleships very well. I was popping over 700 cp's/turn during my Golden Ages but thinking back I probably should have used some of GA's to make even more Golden Ages.
Anyways, it was fun to try something new and I'm interested in seeing what the micro-managing Deity playing experts do with this save!

Regards,

Game: Civ5 GOTM 49
Date submitted: 2012-12-02
Reference number: 27811
Your name: Hammer Rabbi
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1930AD
Turns played: 350
Base score: 1079
Final score: 1541
Time played: 6:44:00
Submitted save: Gustavus Adolphus_0350 AD-1930.Civ5Save

well, from my GiP post I was trying a new strategy, going liberty earlier. i did win but my timings felt way off. i did get 4 cities to 29 (cap), 30 (helsinki in the jungle area), Sigtuna (27) and Birka (27) but not to 35 like i might have if id gone for aqueducts earlier. i hard built/rush bought them instead.

I signed those RAs but my bpt was ~150-200 so they only got me maybe 5-7 turns on a 15 turn tech. I dont remember the turn I entered for Freedom, but I did complete Freedom on t256. I still have a whole tree and 3 more from Tradition before a victory so I knew it wasnt just gonna be in the 300s but late in the 300s. My cpt peaked at ~850 but i got it 898 max but only for maybe 10 turns. I eventually settled 7 GAs and 1 GS. I saved all my remainder GAs to pop when I completed Freedom. I spent the rest of the game in a golden age except for 1 turn. Birka had the most prod so they made the UP. It took 16 turns though.

I was only at war with Egypt a few times but Birka was a nicely defensible city. He had Gr War Bombers and Gr infantry to my gatlings and Artillery and I still held him off easily. I later had my own planes/anti-air/machine guns and he had been suing for peace asking half my 5k gold and a city and suddenly went to giving me 300g and 17gpt when i almost killed his Destroyer. I took it and spent the last 20 turns in peace.

Genghis took 7 CSs, all of which I never actually met. Egypt took one and so did William. But I was allied with most of them and I didnt go patronage. I had plenty of gold after tithe really kicked in (had my religion in about 20 cities, still 2nd to Greece who had about 30 cities).

~t349, Egypt had only finished Apollo and Manhattan 3 turns earlier. Greece had Manhattan too but about a turn later than Egypt. No other civ had more than 2 trees finished and only Arabia lost their cap. No victory was anywhere near threatening mine.

I really need to work on these timings. Im curious at roughly what turn the better games are entering Industrial/Freedom, at what turn they are completing freedom, and roughly what cpt/bpt they have when that happens. Im still missing some crucial timings, independent of wonders.

I also got the Sweden achievement for stacking a Hakk and a GG together. Didnt know it was an achievement, haha.

I got my butt kicked in a 390-turn science loss. I had 4 cities that I'd built. I'm afraid that I got distracted by a war with Egypt that lasted half the game. Ended up taking 2 of his cities, trading one back for peace. William super-powerful in my game, Greece left with just a city on a glacier near the south pole. Look forward to seeing how people were able to beat this one!

Reference number: 27815
Your name: Suntechnique
Game date: 1866AD
Turns played: 303
Base score: 995
Final score: 1658
Time played: 3:43:00

Settled on wine, went GL-NC-Oracle + Tradition start.

Settled 2nd city in jungles north and last one near desert with river hills. Made Petra in that city and it grown into industrial giant. Built Utopia in 9 turns (even without railroads which I forgot about).

Made one Hakkapellita for fun and find out there is an achievement for it :)
Didn't pay a lot of attention to religion once I got Cathedrals. Spies was stationed in capital and maritime states for food sake.
Had eternal was with Egypt, only for last 5 turns I bough peace because I was afraid of nukes and Ramses just built Manhattan Project. Tried to get friendship and RAs with the rest, mostly successful.
Used free space only to make nonintersecting cities.

Reference number: 27814
Your name: Beengalas
Game date: 1918AD
Turns played: 338
Base score: 2234
Final score: 3334
Time played: 9:53:00
Submitted save: Beengalas GOTM49.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beengalas_C504901.Civ5Save

What a game. What a frigging game.

Moved the warrior at the start to check the surrounding area. Crap start. Oh well, got to do the best I can with what I have. Moved the warrior and settler and hoped for the best. Not so much better. So, goal is to find a great spot for second city and let it become a power house.

Went liberty, got settler, sent him far north with a scout. Where I built Sigtuna. Good place, which that would have been where the capital would been located. Anyhow, it did became quite the powerhouse and built 6 wonder + 3 N. wonder. I had also decided to go 7 cities in this game. Ended up placing 6 of them and took Amsterdam by force around 100-120 or something like that. I also managed to ally all CS around me at one time or another by taking out camps, which was nice.

Stole a worker from Egypt and Holland, they never really accepted that. I bet William is still sitting in some ponder and pondering if it was that worker that I stole that made all the difference. I had one friend the entire game, and that was Mr Khan. Even thou I DoW:ed him three times, he always was friendly with me. The rest just hated me.

Anyhow, the game played along and I built up, often having a war or two here or there just to generate some GG which I would gift to the CS. But after a while Alexander took over most CS and he had just nuts points with them. With one he had like 250. He and Khan was in war most of the time and between each war Khan would take a CS and Alexander would then liberate it. Wierd.

I had issue the entire game with production. I'm not used to play cultural games at all and cultural games is, imo, the hardest of them all. Anyhow, I could have placed my cities a bit better and micromanaged a lot more. Forgot stuff and such. I believe I could have knocked down 20 turns or so. But its my first GOTM so I played very careful.

But around turn 300 or so, things got interesting. I got bombers. The same time all AI DoW:ed me. It wasn't a threat really, but I started to go down to Arabia at this point to take him out with my newly built bombers. You know the feeling, it starts slow but it is snowballing. Soon I had 10 bombers trashing his cities and beating him back to oblivion. Took 3 of his cities, including capital. Got two other in the peace agreement. Then I decided to continue with Alexander, who had grown quite large. Especially sence I had gotten 35! more oil from Arabia. Took a few cities. And eventually I took Knossos. Bombed the out of it and let a lancer run like mad to take it. As soon as I got it, I gave it to Mr. Khan, because Alexander filled the surrounding area with a lot of troops. I thought it was a nice move, considering that they had been fighting sence the beginning of time.

Alexander had no other options than turn back. A few turns later I DoW:ed Mr. Khan and took it back. A few turns later, out of nowhere, Alexander had apparently got 10 bombers himself. Bombed the out of Knossos and rushed it. Killing 11 of my bombers. So I asked for peace, he gave it to me along with 3500 gold and 150gpt. The same time, Ramsses DoW:ed me again and this time he was serious and arabia tried to take back what once where theirs, to less success. No way I'm gonna let 35 oil go.

So I shifted my focus to Ramsses, build/bought 25 bombers and a bunch of tanks. Problem was thou, I won just as I started to crush him. Next game Ramesses. Next game.

I never used Carolean, at all. I had 3 Hakkas which I used to harrass Mr. Khan.
Used spies to get Line of sight of targets to bombard and I stole a few techs, but I was in the lead most of the game. I had my own religion, but I never cared to spread it and Ramesses is a pain with his religious so I didn't bother really.
They all hated me. From the start, beside Mr. Khan. And I abused Mr. Khan as much as I could. I believe I stole over 4k from him.
Not much, didn't have a strategy.

Oh yeah, ended with 16 cities. :)

im curious at what turn some better players are a) entering Industrial, b) opening Freedom, c) completing freedom and d) how many policies you have left to do after finishing Freedom.

i dont remember when i entered it, but i finished Freedom at 258 and still had a whole tree and 3 policies left. since trying an early liberty strategy im missing all kinds of timings.

Early Liberty (still took Tradition opener first to get tiles) makes some sense with crappy capital area (settle on Wine and use it as a Settler pump instead of wonder building city), I'm on turn 100 and have six good cities, including the Petra powerhouse in the north. Will probably settle a couple more, then dogpile on Genghis to liberate his city states once the UU's come in to generate GG's for allying CS's.

4 friends due to early denunciation of Genghis and his attacking of CS's.

I finally managed to get the culture win on turn 348. Probably not very good.
A lot of "end turns" clicked. I even turned auto-turns on so i could let the game run on it's own as long as nothing happened :coffee:

I finished with my 3 cities and one puppet. Ramses declared on me twice but other civs were friendly with me, including Gengis Khan :whew:
I got a good number of research agreements with William and Alex and one with Harun while he still lived. I probably wouldn't have had good enough units to defend when Ramses attacked a second time without those. Keeping a good research is hard with only 3 cities. probably should have settled the third one in the jungle and paid more for my roads. I had plenty of gold anyway.

Gengis is really over-powered with such a setup. He captured so many CS before anyone actually finished expanding that he became unbeatable on the military and science fronts. Good for me i was far away from him. Alex and Harun were not that happy (poor Harun, he was a nice guy in this game :sad:)

My religion helped me buy GA once i entered industrial. Everything was easier from this point.
I think i spent too much early policies on religion tree OTOH. Got Legalism late.
I only gifted the free Great Admiral from commerce to a cultural CS. I kept all my other Great People.

UU: Caroleans (swordsman from CS upgraded) were upped to Infantry when Ramses declared his late game war. Their free march promotion helped me defend more easily. The area was easy to defend anyway.

Spies got me some free techs, then i used them to keep the 3 surviving cultural CS and one military CS.

Uber Ghengis nearly controlled half the map.
Spoiler :

Military power. Everyone hated him but noone would have dared attack him.
Spoiler :

I'm a long time player of Civ, and this is my first try at the GOTM. I usually play on Emperor, and got beat pretty bad with my first GOTM by Ramsess who had a tech victory. I made a lot of mistakes with this game, and took a lot of gambles...

Settled 1st city on the hill above the starting location for extra production to get a fast start. Opened with Tradition to build tall. Planning to settle 4 cities and turtle to a cultural victory. Settled my 2nd city next to a mountain with the jungle area, with plans to make this my science power-house. 3rd city is placed in the north next to the river with 2 cotton resources. 4th and final city placed east of the capital, below the CS to grab the crab resource. I did not settle in the desert area below my capital because I hate risking a desert city without Petra. Since this game was Immortal, I planned that another civ would beat me to Petra.

Built Pyramids for my first wonder. I love this wonder for the faster workers. I usually don't take Liberty when doing cultural victory, so this wonder helps build up my cities faster. This wonder also guarantees a great engineer later, which I use to pop a wonder in another city for the 33% extra culture from Piety.

I founded the second religion and grabbed Sacred Path for the extra culture from the jungle. I thought I had an early religion, and was hoping to spread it quickly to other cities. So I took Peace Loving, Cathedrals, Religious Art, Missionary Zeal. However, right after I founded my religion. Ramses founds his, pops Hagia Sohpia, then enhances his religion. Eventually, he was getting more than +24 pressure for his religion in all his cities. He also DoW'd me and I was at war with him the entire game. My plan to make my religion to dominate in all cities (for extra happiness and some culture) goes down the drain.

I used spies to steal techs from Ramses and others. My religion failed. I was able to ally with two CS's and defend my-self from Ramses all game (thanks to Kremlin). Built Machu Picchu, Kremlin, Brandenburg Gate (only wonder I could get with a Great Eng, and the GG went to a CS).

Went for Piety, then Freedom. Once I got the right side of freedom, I switch my cities to Great People focus.

I defended my way towards late game, not much worth in describing the rest of the game. I played till Ramses built Apollo program, then pretty much accepted defeat.

I wanted to try stick to four cities, and let other civs build around me. Then spread my religion everywhere to a lot of happiness and extra culture. Build very tall with my 4 cities, and pump out great people. Didn't work out so well...there's always next GOTM.

Welcome to the Game of the Month TSG series, BroOfTheSun! Glad to have another on board.

Date submitted: 2012-12-03
Reference number: 27827
Your name: Sadato
Game date: 1834AD
Turns played: 287
Base score: 789
Final score: 1384
Time played: 1:38:00
Submitted save: TSG49_Sadato End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Sadato_C504901.Civ5Save

I played it OCC, moved the settler to the hill with river next to grain.

Built all important wonders but failed at Chichen Itza. Gengis annexed two times my first cultural allies :wallbash:

Made 3-4 friends, got Cathedrals and with fast National Epic and the Garden from HG I spawned a lot of artists. Sweden is great.

Spoiler :

Had a fun time with this game. I enjoy playing Sweden (especially for the Great Person generation bonus) and really liked going for a Cultural Victory (I think Diplomacy would have been too boring and predictable for Sweden).

Finished sub-300, but not as good as a practice game for Sweden (also at Emperor, which is my favorite difficulty) which I had tried a week before TSG49 was released. Of course that one was an Archipelago with 8 opponents, all of who I was able to maintain Friendships with the entire game. My practice game also included DLC, which gave me the benefit of ToA, but also saddled me with the less useful Mausoleum and Statue of Zeus (which the AI seems to like more than the Pyramids, so that messes up my build order).

Also, due to my schedule this weekend, I had to play the GOTM in many shorter sessions. When possible, I kept the game running but window minimized, which may result in a long "game time," but even that method eventually runs your CPU out of resources! ;) So Saturday especially had several shorter sessions.

Settled four cities. Capital Stockholm was in the middle of the two rivers. While normally I like Coastal cities, the starting position just looked like a poor coastal start. When I discovered there were two rivers in the area, I decided that settling between them would yield lots of gold and irrigated tiles. Alternatively, it would have been interesting to follow the river to the coast and settle on a river/coastal flood plains tile which was in reach of the Marble and to then take Desert Folklore. However I discovered the Marble until much too late, plus there would have been a lot of desert tiles (no desert hills) and I would have preferred saving Petra for a city with desert hills.

Speaking of which, my second city (Sigtuna) was in the north, where all the desert hills were (on the river, near the gold, a little east of Old Faithful). My third city (Helsinki) was my coastal city, settled far to the west, just west of Gibraltar. Finally, my fourth city (Birka) was settled a bit north, between Stockholm and Sigtuna. Lots of interesting tiles (2 Wheat, 2 Banana, 1 Cattle, 1 Iron) though most of them 3 tiles away.

SP's: Completed all of Tradition, all of Piety, Patronage opener + Aesthetics, All of Freedom, rest of Patronage, all of Commerce (right side first).

Religion: God of Craftsman + Ceremonial Burial + Divine Inspiration + Cathedrals + Religious Text.

Research was fairly balanced and general (no major beelines, such as to Education or Archaeology). In fact, I got Chivalry and Physics before Education, and it ended up faster to open Industrial through Industrialization than through the Navigation/Archaeology route.

At Emperor and above, my research and wonder paths are often dictated by what the AI is doing. This game, my wonder build was actually pretty ideal. After the initial Scout / Monument / Shrine, I spent the rest of the game building wonders in my capital (except for a brief lull in the beginning Renaissance and late Modern periods when there were no wonders to build). Sigtuna was my desert/mountain city with Petra, Machu Picchu, Neuschwanstein, and (while capital was building Utopia) Pentagon. Helsinki was my coastal city with Great Lighthouse and Colossus. I needed a wonder for Birka, which ended up with the Leaning Tower (wasn't developed enough to risk Hagia Sophia or Notre Dame). The other wonders all in my capital.

If it wasn't for the computer AI, I probably would have preferred building the HG before the Pyramids. On lower levels I would have considered saving the Oracle and beelining for Industrial (saving it for Rationalism is do-able, but for Freedom is *extremely* hard and risky). I had to prioritize Chivalry (Alhambra) and Physics (Notre Dame) over Education's Universities because the AI's typically prefers those wonders. Similarly, the Forbidden Palace isn't all that useful but I prioritized it because I know the wonder flavors are heavily weighted. Would have been nice to do Porcelain Tower and Big Ben earlier, but my build order was largely dictated by the order along the tech tree (to keep ahead of the AI's).

Culture was slow in the beginning (I usually ramp it up in the mid-game when I open Freedom). Early science was fast due to GL/NC prioritization, but hit a snag due to delayed Education and not getting a GS early (in normal games I often pop a GS and GE at the same time, but the early Forge and late Universities meant it didn't work out this time). Things went well once I got universities, but it took some time to set up public schools and research labs (especially since I didn't have the cash for a long time to buy them in my capital - instead the money was going for museums and broadcast towers).

Genghis offered a DoF very early on. Alex was willing to DoF as soon as he started fighting Genghis. The other three took a bit of time to warm up but then offered DoF's as well. Most of the game I had all 5 DoF's. Signed a full round of RA's with everyone. Then signed three RA's (no gold for RA's with Mongolia and Arabia). After that, Greece turned on me with a backstab denouncement (fortunately about a dozen turns after the RA completed). The two main factors was that I was friends with his enemies (Netherlands and Mongolia) and he was expanding like mad and even encroached upon Helsinki (near Gibraltar). Actually everyone ended up hating on Greece, and we had a good coalition for awhile (signed one final round of RA's with my four pals). Near the end, Mongolia's city state aggression caused the coalition to split along Mongolia/Arabia vs Egypt/Netherlands lines (but everyone still hated Alex).

Mongolia was *very* aggressive towards city states. An early attack on Brussels was thwarted by my scout and worker (originally from Monaco but who joined me after being rescued from barbarians). Brussels got attacked later on and got taken (I was cash strapped and didn't have the money to bribe for peace). I did save Jakarta from Genghis with 500+ gold. Losing Brussels was annoying (since this was Cultural VC), but no other city states died. Early on, city states are rather vulnerable (especially against Mongolia). However by late game, assaults on city states seem pretty laughable. Near the end, Mongolia attacked Jakarta again (and Egypt attacked Wittenburg), but they were sending Riflemen and Keshiks (in Mongolia's case) against city states with 80-90 defense. Hilarious. Didn't bother with city states much until I opened Freedom (which was why I was actually looking forward to Aesthetics!). After that I allied the Cultural city states, and everyone else by the end. Took me a long while to find that final 20th city state though (the light green one not on the mainland!).

In the end, Stockholm was at 35 population, Sigtuna at 23, Helsinki 26, and Birka 24. Great Person count:

Great Artists: 9 generated normally, 3 bought with faith, 1 with Pisa, 2 with Louvre. Of these, 8 were settled into Landmarks and 7 burned for Golden Ages.

Great Engineers: 5 generated normally, 1 gifted with Educated Elite. All 6 settled into Manufactories (5 in capital).

Great Scientist: 1 generated normally, 1 with PT. Both settled as Academies.

Great Merchant: 1 bought with faith (mainly to fulfill city state quests) and settled into a Customs House (NOT in my capital though, where real estate values are so high they can't be bought with mere gold!!!).

Great Prophet: 2 generated normally to found/enhance religion. 1 generated through Hagia Sophia and settled. In the end game, bought 3 with faith to convert the heathen Greeks!

Great General: Never got a single XP that contributed to GG's. Got one from Brandenburg and one from Educated Elite.

Great Admiral: One from Naval Tradition.

Building the Utopia Project was actually much faster than I expected (only 6 turns). That was probably due to having a 35 population capital which had 5 Manufactories. I also shaved off 2 turns through hammer overflow (Intelligence Agency -> Arsenal -> Stadium). Too bad I didn't have a world wonder available for overflow!

-------------------------------------

Insights:

1. I think for the fastest times, you would want to beeline GL/NC, then Education (universities), then Acoustics/Architecture (Hermitage), and then go for Archaeology to open Freedom. It's especially crucial for Continents maps since Astronomy is along the way. However, due to the AI's strong preference for beelines, I've found that going this route means giving up a lot of wonders (particularly the bottom branch including Great Wall, Notre Dame, Himeji Castle, and Kremlin). As a wonder whore, I prefer a more balanced approach, which means I can get these wonders, even if it means a slightly slower time. Interestingly enough, a lot of these military wonders actually have a decent amount of culture (GW, Himeji, Kremlin, Brandenburg, Pentagon all have 3 culture so it's a bit slower but not a total waste for Cultural VC).

2. My attempt at slingshoting Industial was a failure. Due to my tech path, the fastest option was through Economics/Industrialization. I first opened Patronage. I *could* have opened Industrialization with Oxford in time for my next SP. But it was risky because it would significantly delay Sistine and Himeji, and Greece was close to finishing Liberty (Alex often chooses a GE and could rush the wonder). My relations with city states was pretty pathetic, so I was actually okay getting Aesthetics and waiting another SP to open Freedom. Also, I was involved in a religious "war" with Greece, so I wanted to keep the Missionaries cheap for a little bit longer. I got everything lined up to Oxford Industrialization, but by this point my beaker output was getting good. Industrialization would only take 8 turns, and (I didn't realize) I had 3 RA's coming to fruition. I still ended up "wasting" Oxford on Industrialization (already invested the hammers, and the extra science/culture didn't hurt) but I probably should have saved Oxford then and entered Industrial through normal research and RA's. I think if you do a real beeline, your research output is still low by the time you can Oxford into Industrial, but because I did a more balanced tech path, by the time I was ready to do Industrial, the slingshot didn't help as much.

3. Wasn't impressed by any of the early Pantheon options. Desert Folklore wouldn't help my capital and there were only one or two good desert locations in the vicinity. Not a lot of pastures/plantation sites for good culture (especially since I usually keep Bananas in the jungle). In the end, I was split between Fertility Rites and production. Early on, I was situated in lots of plains, just barely breaking even with food and not really growing so Fertility Rites wouldn't have helped. In the mid to late game, Fertility Rites would have helped immensely, so I wonder if I should have chosen it. The alternative was production (God of Craftsman vs Monument to the Gods). Looking at my current production output and seeing the longer term viability of the former, I went with Craftsman. Part of me feels like I should have gone with Fertility Rites. Then again, I did get the ancient wonders (and in several cases just barely beat the AI's) so the +1 hammer *probably* made the difference in the early game wonder race (it's hard to say).

4. I don't regret the other religious choices. After this game, I did get a healthy respect for Religious Unity though. My early religion (with Religious Texts) meant that I could overwhelm the Egyptian and Dutch religions before they could take root (Arabia was slow to expand and never spread their religion either). I've found that when an AI gets a second Prophet, they will prioritize spreading their religion to their other cities (if they have become infected) rather than enhancing. By the end of the game, only me and Greece had enhanced. Egypt/Netherlands/Arabia kept trying to use their Prophets to preserve their religion (which didn't help because in the end, their religion was only present in their holy cities). Greece however was a problem:

A. They chose Desert Folklore
B. They went with Liberty for massive city spam
C. They were very far away from my capital
D. I was Friends with Alex and was trying to be diplomatic (so I was practicing containment as opposed to outright religious war)

In normal games, the city state blocks of Hong Kong / Florence / Tyre / Monaco and Vatican / Ragusa / Marrakesh, would be enough to contain his religion, but that was a losing battle due to Greece's Religious Unity enhancer (double pressure against city states).

I spent A LOT of faith on missionaries to peacefully stem the spread of Greece's religion. It was certainly fun and a learning experience, but I probably could have shaved a significant amount of turns if I just settled a bunch of Great Prophets instead. I at least got a healthy respect for Religious Unity as a choice.

BTW: After Greece backstabbed and denounced me, all bets were off. I bought 3 Great Prophets who, when combined with the Great Mosque, can instantly convert 15 cities. Was never at actual war with Greece (or anyone), but I had a religious battle with him, wiping out his religion in his cities. By the end of the game, the religious count was:

Arabian Religion - 1 city (only holy city)
Dutch Religion - 1 city (only holy city)
Egyptian Religion - 1 city (only holy city)
Greek Religion - 6 cities (mainly in Arabian cities which I didn't risk converting. All major Greek cities, including the holy city were converted to my religion. The few remaining would convert to me soon due to pressure).
Swedish Religion - 71 cities!

With Ceremonial Burial, that meant an ending Happiness of 177!

So this probably delayed my victory by 10+ turns, but it was rather fun, especially since I never got in a "real" war.

Also, Arabia seemed intent on converting Helsinki with two Great Prophets (even though there were nearby Greek cities with an opposing religion, and there were far away Arabian cities with my religion). However, I kept the Prophets at bay with my own units. Normally, the last 30-40 turns of a Cultural VC are a bit boring by constantly clicking next turn. In my game, it was actually a bit fun because I was toying with two Arabian GP's by opening and closing tunnels to Helsinki.

5. In the early game, I occasionally bribed AI's to fight each other to keep them busy, improve my diplomatic standing, and reduce competition for wonders. In particular, I was able to delay Arabia with a proxy war, to make sure Helsinki could get the Great Lighthouse and Colossus. Surprisingly, there was no real competition for the early Renaissance wonders but I got lulled into a false sense of security as I was somewhat surprised when everyone started building late Renaissance wonders. Almost lost the Porcelain Tower to the Dutch (who I chanced upon with a spy making the rounds), but I bribed Greece to attack him, and that changed his build queue to give me the turns I needed to get the PT first!

6. Normally I love coastal capitals, but I have developed a healthy appreciation for land-based capitals after this game. With a population of 35, I really needed all the tiles I could get. It even got to the point where I built a manufactory on an otherwise useless desert tile and worked it (0 food, but just a straight-up 9 production from the manufactory). However, I also realized that forests are a bit overrated. I guess it's a legacy from my Civ IV days (when forests repopulated themselves) but I have a tendency to save forests when possible. For production poor locations, it's especially good. But my Petra city of Sigtuna had lots of unused forest tiles (I even had unused mined desert hill tiles at times!). I really should have cut down the forests for farmland (even non-irrigated farmland after Fertilizer). Would have let me grow the city a bit more. Also, I normally want cities with non-overlapping 3 tile radii (to maximize available tiles), but lately I've begun to appreciate overlap at the third tile away. In this game, I had two cities share a Manufactory that was 3 tiles away (and in my practice game I had two cities share a Landmark).

Date submitted: 2012-12-03
Reference number: 27830
Your name: Wargizmo
Game date: 1901AD
Turns played: 321
Base score: 1192
Final score: 1862
Time played: 5:30:00
Submitted save: Gustavus Adolphus_0321 AD-1901.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Wargizmo_C504901.Civ5Save

Settled on the flood plains coast south of starting pos. Went liberty start (with trad opener) and took 6 cities (expanded towards Egypt).

Rushed oracle then NC, settled last two cities just as NC finished. Used GE from liberty to build petra. Used legalism to get 4 free opera houses as soon as I hit renaissance.

Ran through piety and freedom before finishing tradition and then taking commerce for final tree.

Religion: Desert folklore, Ceremonial burial, Cathedrals, Pagodas, Religious texts.

Key wonders were Oracle, Sistene chapel, petra, Cristo, pisa, forbidden palace, notre dame, Eiffel tower. Ended up missing out on louvre by a few turns.

Got in a couple of wars with Egypt and one with the Dutch but was friendly for most of the game, Egypt's cities were in hard to take locations so I always ended up suing for peace.

Was pushing 150 happiness by the end thanks to religion/social policies and wonders. 6 cities with 5 culture specialists each gave me a ton of great artists.

Overall a fun game, strategy wise I don't think the benefits of free opera houses outweigh the benefits of burning through tradition early, if I played again would have gone tradition -> piety -> freedom -> commerce -> patronage. 6 cities may be too much also, 3-4 is probably ideal.

Screenshot from just before I finished 5th policy tree:

Spoiler :

wow, Halcyan2, THAT is a write-up. i actually set it aside for when i could read it all at once. very nice.

Awful game. Lost my first worker to a barbarian, missed The Great Library by 1 turn, Ramesses and William decided that my 4 cities were more than I should've had, eventually lost to Egypt's spaceship after surviving an almost continuous war from the late medieval era, 3 policy trees completed.

wow, Halcyan2, THAT is a write-up. i actually set it aside for when i could read it all at once. very nice.
Thanks.

When I first started GOTM, I used to do lengthy write-ups for every game (e.g. TSG 34-37). I do it less frequently now, but when I do have the time... :)

Awful game. Lost my first worker to a barbarian, missed The Great Library by 1 turn, Ramesses and William decided that my 4 cities were more than I should've had, eventually lost to Egypt's spaceship after surviving an almost continuous war from the late medieval era, 3 policy trees completed.

Oh...that sucks. I also had some bad luck during my game. I haven't finished yet, but worse thing is that i lost a 3rd wonder(Colossus) at 2 turns from completion. I also missed cathedrals they weren't available after finishing the HS. I'M on turn 165 and i have 4 cities + 2 puppets. Good thing is that i'm going to hit Freedom around the turn 175. With 4 DoF(+40% gpp rate) i hope that i can finish under 300 turns, my new headset after these bad lucks.

This new patch amazed me. This is more or less what this game needed seriously. Now that i can't get some wonders so easily like before, i really need to practice a lot more in sp mode before tempting risky tactics. the result is that my games are WORSE than a few months ago. I'm rusty as hell too, playing only 2 sp games per months(i don't need to tell which ones :))

This new patch amazed me. This is more or less what this game needed seriously. Now that i can't get some wonders so easily like before, i really need to practice a lot more in sp mode before tempting risky tactics. the result is that my games are WORSE than a few months ago. I'm rusty as hell too, playing only 2 sp games per months(i don't need to tell which ones :))

i can never find good mp's. im still trying to learn mp tactics and even though i joined NQ i never find them in games ready to go from the start. im either joining games 50 turns in or waiting for someone to join chat. i lose interest so all i play is sp. ive barely gotten any mp tactics to learn from other than watching LPs. its a whole world of civ ive never jumped into.

1. I think for the fastest times, you would want to beeline GL/NC, then Education (universities), then Acoustics/Architecture (Hermitage), and then go for Archaeology to open Freedom.

I would like to add that 'detouring' for Alhambra right after unlocking Acoustics can be beneficial.

Top Bottom