Immortal University 87 - Zara

klonoklown

Civ Junky
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

The following settings were used to create this map

And the Demographics for people to spot any info they can

Before we start, here's the copy & paste bit where I get to pretend that I'm TMIT:

To play, just extract the WB save file into your worldbuilder saves directory, then play it. Use custom scenario if you want some extra settings to tickle your fancy. This series was designed for people learning immortal, so most people here will be at that level or trying to attain it, although deity players are welcome also. Hell, if you want to play this on NOBLE. The intention of this and any other game thread I post is to get better. Play whatever level you need in order to improve.

If you are aspiring IMM+, try to remember to add archery back to the barbs in WB. Every time you don't, a deity AI will kill a kitten, although there are a lot of kittens so it's not the end of the world if you prefer easymode barbs .

I do request people to list their difficulty and speed. In terms of updates, well nobody follows that anyway. Post in the manner you feel comfortable. Typical comparison dates are 1 AD, liberalism, and victory/defeat, as well as any major events. If in doubt, go with that.

We also have an initial Immortal/Normal autosave which is much more convenient since you can avoid all the worldbuilder shenanigans. It comes with my personal seal of approval (not least as my worldbuilder edits may contain hideous game-destroying errors that could cause your computer to explode ).

Attachments

• IU 87 - Zara BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    40 KB · Views: 146
  • IU 87 - Zara.zip
    97.2 KB · Views: 104
Edit: WB saves are up on the OP.

Spoiler minor map details :
The map seems pretty well balanced, haven't had the chance to play yet. I picked the AI because I wanted different leaders than what has been in the last few forum games. Also no edits were made.

Immortal 325 AD

Spoiler :
Teched AG -> AH -> The Wheel -> Bronze Working -> Pottery -> Writing

Went str8 for the double Elephant+wet corn spot with 2nd city after building 1 worker and 2 warriors and lost the southern gold to Augustus because of that, but who cares.

After Aesthetics and Currency, i just selfteched Construction and HBR, chopped/whipped some catas and eles + pre build axes and took out Darius.
Thought about the great libary, but don't think i'll go for it since it's already late for that and i prefered the early war.

Oracle went 450 BC btw, lol

I'm now at 10 citys and Darius is capitulated(had to selftech Monarchy to get to Feudalism). We now have TGW and a second Academy in Pesepolis, quite nice.

Working way to much unimproved tiles now, after i stopped whipping units for a while. Will build some more workers and whip some Forges, then keep on warmongerin with Machinery -> Engineering

Well this one is shaping up to be a bit of a cakewalk. 7 cities with a fortified settler waiting to strategically cut off any further AI expansion to where i have room for 2 more excellent cities...in 650BC. Ill have 10 cities total peacefully with by my count 8 happiness resources, most with at least 1 extra to trade away. Plus...

Spoiler :
marble, bronze, multiple iron

Organized is a lifesaver with a quality settler pump of a capital and so much good land like this.

lol...first in score in the BCs, it just doesnt feel right. A funny thing happened...

Spoiler :

haha...I've had it happen to me but I've never done it to an AI before. That's payback for screwing me over in my first try on Pepe's Gandhi map.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0136.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0136.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,070
^^^spoiler

@TMIT
Spoiler :

any chance you made this a Let's Play for your channel? You may have answered this somewhere else, but just curious if you've given up on LP's or just taking a break from them.

finished Conquest in 1605 AD
First time i played this leader, pretty nice. Also the unique Unit came in handy as support with the Siege-Stacks and defender for captured citys.

Spoiler :

Immortal till 1100 AD: Expanded to 7 cities/12 workers and built up a force of 30 Jumbos to upgrade to Cuirs (around 800 AD). Grabbed the normal MoM > TGL > NE > HE > Taj and just finished upgrading all remainding Cuirs to Cav. Should finish game in the next 20 turns.

Attachments

• Zara AD-1100.CivBeyondSwordSave
    235.7 KB · Views: 53
1505 Conquest

Spoiler :

This one was easy. Founded 7 cities and built most of the marble wonders although i did miss out on MoM by 2 turns. I switched into Hinduism early as it was the dominant religion on the map. Louis and Vicky were Buddhist, everyone else was Hindu until Peter switched sides later in the game. Rome, Mongolia, and Russia also spent the majority of the early game warring amongst each other, so the diplo situation in this game was never an issue.

I went for the usual Lib MT and had to trade for horses with Vicky. I was a couple of turns away from backstabbing Darius when an AP resolution came up to dogpile Peter. I voted no, but it passed anyway and probably ended up making the game much easier for me in the long run. I waited 3-4 turns while the Persian stack marched on by and then gutted his core cities including the awesome Hindu holy city that..... had no shrine! Seriously, what the heck!

Anyway, i grabbed the horse city in the process to secure my own source and that allowed me to go after Vicky next who was turning into the only power on the map with 12 or 13 cities. Unfortunately for her, whatever troops she had either died in Russia or were tied up over there too long to help her. It took a little bit of time to capitulate her as i had to capture 6 cities, but i lost very few units in the process.

The dominoes fell very quickly after that including a 3 turn war with Louis followed by a short war with Rome+Russia (Peter eventually caved over there). Unfortunately i had to wait 4 turns for some kind of peace treaty to expire with Mongolia (AP thing maybe?) which was twice the duration of the actual war with Mongolia.

haha...I've had it happen to me but I've never done it to an AI before. That's payback for screwing me over in my first try on Pepe's Gandhi map.[/spoiler]

payback for the russians? what'd he do, backstab/surprise-attack?

When I try to load the save, it tells me to quit BUG and load BTS regular :/

Spoiler :
Settled to the W and found I had Marble. Oracled CoL, built Shrine, converted Darius and he built AP for me. Got GLib in a sea of Flood Plains Cottages. Got beat to the mountain of Gems by a few turns, and Vic DoW'd whilst I was finishing my SoD to sweep in. Saw off three SoDs from her before taking her city and getting peacegold. Caesar DoW'd on Russia, I joined in, Peter vassaled before I could get to the front lines. DoW'd Caesar and got ran over by three mountains of Elephants. Ah well :)

Very easy map, good one to try and get back into the groove (haven't played in a while).

1360AD Religious (Diplomatic) Victory. Immortal/Normal (Normally play Epic - would've been helpful on this map).

Spoiler :

- Moved my scout onto the hill, and after seeing the extra Corn and the Marble, decided to settle on the Marble (which also unlocked the seafood).
- Next cities were Gold (shared Corn + seafood with cap) and Gems.
- After unlocking Copper in the Capital I axerushed Peter.
- Oracle'd Monarchy early, but wished I waited it out for a higher tech ('Mids went ~400BC, waay too late).
- Lots of happy resources. Teched to Cats, built population. Whipped catapults, paired them with my old Axes and declared war on Vicky (later vassaled her).
- Built and was elected leader of Apostolic Palace. (Hinduism with Augustus and Mongols)
- Just as I was taking Vicky's southern cities I traded for Civil Service + Feudalism + Machinery, which gave me an upgrade over France's units. Made peace, headed west.
- Vassaled Louis. By this point Mongols began to really fall behind in tech.
- Looked like a win was locked at this point, so I libbed Economics, teched up to Rifles, then drafted a whole bunch of 'em. Vassaled the Mongols.
- Tech up to Cannons, got ready to declare war on Augustus when I got the Religious victory option. I had enough vassals at this point, and won the victory. If I stayed course with the Conquest I probably would've been done in 20 more turns or so.

Attachments

• Kadazzle 1360 Victory.CivBeyondSwordSave
    260.6 KB · Views: 39
1565 domination
Spoiler :

SiP, expanded to 7 cities peacefully as land was good. Oracled MC, then build Parthanon, GLib, MoM, Swedagon Paya, and Taj. Ran a 36 turn continues GA. Libbed Steel, upgraded all my prebuild trebs to canons with money from a GM and vassaled Darius -> Gus -> Vicky -> Timujin and killed Peter with canons and Orome Warriors to win domination.

Diplo was very easy as everyone was hindu except Fat Louis. Gus got dogpiled by Timujin and Vicky which resulted in them being very backwards.

On a side note, I think this was my first game where I didn't even build a single university...

Map was a lot of fun (although a bit easy) with my favorite leader :goodjob:

I am playing this on monarch, normal speed, no huts no events no vassal states.
Spoiler :

I am building all the axemen because i am worried about peter.
I want to build the great library, with literature as a monopoly and marble connected.
I also dont know if I should be building all these cottages, or farm the land instead. And I am also not sure if my city placement is optimal.

I need to decide what to do next, when and who to attack

UPDATE: I had to reload when peter, augustus and victoria declared pretty much at the same time and louis little bit earlier. i could defend myself with oromo, but it slowed me down too much. Secodn time, I bribed Gengis to war with Augustus which triggered world war. I waited until cavalry (liberalism to rifling) and killed everyone except gengis.

eventually, domination in 1705.

@ Martin

Cottages are fine but production is important too. A common method is to have a strong Bureau Capital, and perhaps one other nice commerce/cottage spot and then other cities emphasize farms, farms, and more farms so you can whip a lot of units. Hybrid cities offering food + commerce are great too, i.e., a city that can work river cottages, or gold, of dye's, plus enough food to whip units.

@ Martin + Cseanny

Spoiler :

I pretty much entirely farmed my game, with little cottages. There's simply so much early commerce resources (Gold, Gems nearby), in addition to close neighbours and military resources, that farming and whipping allows for an easy win. Once you beat that first opponent and have the land advantage, the units just keep on churning out.

Top Bottom