News: TSG50 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 50
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the FIFTIETH game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomatic. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Diplomatic victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Maria Theresa and lead The Austrian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until January 15th to complete the game and submit.

**The recent Fall patch hasn't been made available for Mac Users, who sadly cannot play this save as it was made with the Fall patch. :(

Civ V G&K - TSG50 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Maria Theresa - Austrian
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.21. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Maria Theresa, you possess Diplomatic Marriage. You can spend gold to annex or puppet a City-State that has been your ally for 5 turns.

You can train the Hussar, which replaces Cavalry. Hussars are great scouts and flank attackers. They are slightly faster than Cavalry which they replace. They start with Promotions that give them +1 Sight and increases their bonus when making a Flank Attack by 50%.

You can also build the Coffee House, which replaces the Windmill. It increases the city's production and speed at which Great People are generated by 25%.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Tuesday, 15 January 2012.

The Save can be found here.

Doesn't this completely negate the Austrian UA? Was that the point?

I'm surprised too about this one. And at king level they will not be as strong as upper levels.

About game i think i will settle on the gold tile.

There are 18 CSs on this. If you want to marry 10+ CSs into your society it would negate it. It was abusive pre-patch and is more reasonable now I think. But it will be an interesting challenge to choose who you would or wouldnt marry, i think.

I think Diplomatic Austrian is fine. Means you have to carefully balance their UA with getting enough votes. I like it. Requires precision.

Starting position looks a bit easy though. Super Petra capital? Mm..okay.

At least the coffee house can be built in a city that's on a hill unlike the windmill it replaces. However, to set a diplo victory with Austria is like playing with Greece, Siam or Mongolia and having no CS's in the game. I guess the next game will be Polonesia or Carthage on a map with no water.

At least the coffee house can be built in a city that's on a hill unlike the windmill it replaces. However, to set a diplo victory with Austria is like playing with Greece, Siam or Mongolia and having no CS's in the game.

this i wasnt sure of. good to know it doesnt require flatland. i wondered if people would hate the idea of settling not on a hill just to get her UB.

Well, I guess I am going to be attempting to bring the Hapsburgs and the Holy Roman Empire Back from the brink.

Not sure if I ll annex any CS at this level.
Austria is a impossible civ too balance - on higher difficulties its too strong and just totaly op and on lower ones its UA is basiclly irelevant

I ll selfrestrict myself this time to no dows apart worker stealing and killing cities as I was like 30t ahead in gotm 49 and wana see how I do with only good micro and failing strategy :)

I still got the opinion that every trade with ai is kind of exploit and kind of intended gameplay on other hand.
Getting 70g/t deals after taking a city and having sronger military as ai is just not any different as getting same deal without killing a city.
A no trade at all game as in mp might be interesting.

So apparently you still get the UN vote if you annex the CS through Diplomatic Marriage? I didn't realize this. Haven't really played Austria much (and never a diplo VC).

I dont think so either, unless it was changed in the patch/hotfix. Married CSs ability to vote is removed.

Please be careful about spoilers in the announcement thread everyone. :eek:

edit - the guideline is that if you have opened the save/game on your computer, you should not be posting in this thread. If you have read any of the spoilers, you absolutely should not be posting in this thread.

Thanks for observing this.

Top Bottom