TSG52 Opening Actions thread

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG52 Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you do find your UU's useful?

Turn 75 :

I decided to go for Liberty and free worker first. Capital started with monument-scout-granary-GL--->Philo--->NC by turn 52. Then expanded 3 more cities when i reached free settler policy.

Tech rate is pretty good of course and it's because i want crossbowmen as fast as possible. After NC all cities built archers only as i delayed construciton most as possible. I teched Guilds before Construction.

So i settled near Egypt to the east to the desert spot and to the west far away near England. I don't really care of cs, i DoWed 3 of them for workers already. Half of civs are hostile.

But i built 2 armies right now(7 + 5 archers) and when they will upgrade to CBs next turn i will get England and Egypt capital while i'm building Oracle in capital to finish the Liberty tree for a free gs(slow xulture since i didn't build any extra monuments or be friendly with any cultural cs). After 2 caps down i will reach Machinery around the turn 90 to finish other civs up down with main 2 armies and maybe a 3rd if i get enough gold.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I saw there was room for 3 or 4 cities. I went for the Natural Wonder first, I took God of Festivals. Party time!

I kindo of wanted Holy Warriors even though Sweden is not suited for it. Ended up with Defender of the Faith which is more like it.

By turn 100, I was still expanding, doing quests and getting the NC set up. Sort of a 4 city tradition opening, expcet I did open Honor 2nd.

I really wanted the alliance with that military CS...

up thru t90:

settled in place
t5 scout. the warrior found an upgrade ruin
t8 free pop ruin
t9 scout
t10 free tech ruin (writing)
t13 shrine (started GL)
t29 pantheon (+1c/+1f from wine incense)
t41 GL (Philosophy)
t51 Sigtuna west on the wine on the coast
t61 Helsinki south on the copper on the same coast
t68 Birka on the incense northwest by the furs (i had sold all my luxes and was at 1 happ and didnt have trapping yet)
t85 founded DoWism (Taoism sounds like dowism and renamed it as this is a dom game, haha) - took Ceremonial Burial and Pagodas

tech order: pottery > free writing > archery > calendar > mining > construction > free Philospohy >Horseback Riding >Sailing >and currently on my way to Theology

I'm going liberty with dom. i'll be taking some puppets and annexing most capitals. my build order was scout - scout - shrine - GL - archer - monument. I almost never start with 2 scouts but i decided to try it. I was bummed when my warrior got the upgrade ruin. tried for GL only because i got free Writing. I rush bought 3 archers since i didnt intend to buy any settlers. I also bought my first worker, stole one from Yerevan, free one from Liberty and hard built the 4th one. they are working on roads right now. I sold 3 total incense. 1 wine and 1 silver. i intend to settle a 5th city (probably but not guaranteed) east on the silver since Egypt planted by the cotton i wouldve put Birka on. Catherine dow'd on me around t70. killed one of my comp bows but otherwise retreated and sued for okay peace deal on t80 -- all gold and half gpt (~150g and 5gpt). Ive now lined up my army for t91 when the peace deal ends. i have a 2nd army (3 comp bows) getting ready to go east for Harun and Ramses. they are at war with each other and a little vulnerable. when 2 more cbows are done ill start on Ramses cotton city. Horseback riding is done but it will be another 10 before i get my first horse out for city sniping. Ive met all the Civs and about 8 CSs, allied with Ragusa only so far. Stealing the worker was maybe a mistake. 3 civs have labeled me a warmonger for it but CS wasnt protected by anyone when i did it. I cleared a barb camp and got it back to positive status. I also beat Harun and Ramses to GL but they were only slightly peeved by it. Everyone else is fine with me. I'm keeping most civs broke with my luxes but happ is ~5 and unlikely to rise. I hope to have Moscow by t100. i'll be starting NC soon but prolly wont have it done til maybe t110. I will have to buy library in Birka or delay it to t120 or so.

at 400BC I just got Petra in a city on the river way east near Egypt. It's going to be a beast. Other 2 cities ( I have 4 ) are south by the copper/wonder and on the marsh just east ( for the incense, iron and general cohesiveness )

Pantheon: Festivals
Religion (2nd last, so didn't get cathedrals which was my plan):Tithe, Pagodas

Social: Went liberty, still need one more to complete it.

Tech: Pottery > Writing > Calendar > Animal Husbandry > Mining > Straight to Currency > Philosophy > Now pushing military ( got Archery in a ruin )

No wars yet, but I am building a pretty strong army, preparing to strike west at Pacal who settled my rightful wine and incense.

I haven't done much with CS or my UB...all my focus was on religion and petra.

It's now turn 87

Spoiler :

I went Liberty. Now about 5 turns away from completing it. Thinking of getting a Great Prophet for the Religious Wars. I have 4 cities, just completed the NC. I took Goddess of Festivals, but Russia messed me up a bit with her city placement of Rostov. I wanted Helsinki to be one south to get ALL the wines, and incense, and the fur. I fully expected to get into a war with Russia, especially after I bought some tiles between our cities, but nah... she seems to be more worried about England, and would go to war with England for a resource and 208 gold. I have a Comp Bow placed to keep an eye on any approaching army. So far all I see is bows of her own.

Egypt's army is the same size as mine, so no threat. Arabia's is lot's bigger as is Russia's. Arabia is further away and is now officially a Friend as is Maya. I also hope that the few CS's between me and Arabia will act as a buffer, but I do need to get something south to keep an eye out down there, just in case. Maya has been beaten up by the French and is the first loser.

No Wonders yet. I was thinking about Petra for Birka, but there are actually not that many non Flood Plain tiles, so I have decided it's not worth the attempt. As I stated earlier, I'll probably get a Great Prophet as I complete Liberty because Russia's religion is a threat. Egypt just created his religion. If I quickly enhance my religion and send out missionaries, I hope to spread my religion "Woodism" to Arabia who has missed out on getting one. I also need to stop Russia's spread to my cities.

Tech order:

Pottery -> Calendar -> Writing (ruin) -> Mining -> Archery -> Animal Husbandry -> Masonry (was getting a bit scared, thought I needed Walls) -> Philosophy -> Trapping -> Wheel -> Construction -> Mathematics -> Currency -> Horse Riding in one turn

On my way to Civil Service, I'll pick up a quick Sailing, then look at the situation again to see if I need Iron Working or can continue on towards Education.

The location of Birka was a hard choice. It seemed to be on either the Cotton or the Horses. I went with the Horses.

I have been pretty lucky in all the luxuries I have, selling them for money etc. I've only gone negative happiness a bit for a few turns because I sold so many of them. Plus 6 now, I need to sell again. I was able to get enough money to buy two quick libraries so I could start building the NC, which as I said is done now. I also bought the two Settlers, and just bought a Worker.

This was GREAT! My scout watched a bow finish off a barb near a CS. A Worker was left. I moved on it and then returned the worker to the CS. THEN I noticed that the empty camp (well except there was another worker in it) was now right next to me, so in the same turn I moved into it, captured another worker, returned it to the same CS AND got credit for eliminating the camp. In one turn I went from zero to 140 influence, and never fought a barb. The only down side? England got even madder as she wanted Quebec City herself, but then she was already mad at me, and it seems she always gets mad at me anyway!

This settling of Sigtuna was also interesting. My Warrior moved south, keeping on top of the Settler, but there was a Barb camp, with a warrior right next to where I wanted to settle, and a barb bow right on the spot. I bought a bow down, to help kill the barb bow, crossed the river in an attack that wiped out the bow. And with a bit less than half health sat a turn until I could place the city. A bit nerve wracking, never settled right next to a barb camp before.

Other lucky quest fulfilling got me an alliance with Yerevan (but not all on the same turn :) ). Quebec City is now 113, Yerevan 123. So both will be allies for a while and I haven't spend a dime on them.

I also maybe made a mistake stealing a worker. Egypt, England and Ethiopia think I'm a Warmonger. But England and Ethiopia are far away, England always hates me anyway and Egypt seems to be going the peace route, his army is no bigger than mine according to the advisor.

This map is a bit strange, almost like a Torus, except open in the south? When I saw both coast lines I first thought a Large Island, then a Small Continent, and finally as I kept meeting AI's I realized it was a Pangaea map. I still have more CS's to find. I'll need to make a boat or two to find them I think.

@ Tabarnak

All I can say is wow. I would never risk placing a new city in the midst of other AI's like your placement of Birka. Would like to see a Youtube of your play, because the approach is so foreign to me !

1: settle in space, scout, RS: pottery
3: ruin: adv.wep.
5: scout
8: monument
9: monument -> shrine. meet Katrine.RS: calendar, ruin: 20 cult, polity: trad opener
10: meet Harun, ruin: Sailing
12: ruin: pop
14: meet Halei Salessie, ruin: 20 kult
16: settler.
17: ruin: adv.weap. meet geneva for 8 faith.
19: 90 loan, rush buy worker
20: mining
22: discovered mt. Kaliash. policy: landed elite, pantheon: goddess of festivals.
23: meet Nappy
25: writeing, meet pacal
29: rushbuy, granary.
33: Animal husbandry, Settler
36: change ah to archery (forgot)
38: POL: monarhy, meet everyone, = pangea
41: mansonry
42: archer
48: wheel
53: consturction
57: GP: religion: Init rites / Monasteries for fun.

80: totally failed cb rush moscow and give up :( rush is not my speciality :)

I failed to capture mocow with 9 CB, 2 horseman, 1 general, 1 warriror, and 1 spear. After I told him to attack Pacal and hi did so Pacal was skimishing him from behind.

@ Tabarnak

All I can say is wow. I would never risk placing a new city in the midst of other AI's like your placement of Birka. Would like to see a Youtube of your play, because the approach is so foreign to me !

Thanks, but credits are from Tommynt and DaveMcW :)

I'm too lazy to produce videos since GnK(i already put some vids for vanilla, my account is Tabarnak777). I'm actually focusing on youtube mp games right now but for some reasons we have some difficulties to finish a game because there is always someone missing when we try to continue a game :sad:

Maybe i should play with Prime Eval instead? :D

I haven't continued this GOTM since the last update(turn 75) but i will in some days.

Turn 70:
I have had some interesting luck. I have "acquired" 4 workers without declaring war. I have kept 3 and returned one to get a CS ally.

Settled in place
City 2 on the copper. I purchased an extra tile to work the wonder for faith.
25: Pantheon +1C/+1 faith from wine/incense
City #3 on the hill between the rivers. I started on Walls first as a defensive structure, but Egypt doesn't seem to be too upset yet.
City #4 located in the middle of the wine/incense area.

67: Establish religion: Tithing/Monasteries.

Tech Order: Pottery (hut 1 turn early) - Calendar - AH - Writing - Archery - Masonry - Wheel - construction - Philosophy (working to 71)

I have 4 Comp.Bow, 1 Spear and 2 Warriors and 800g.

I plan on waiting until NC finishes before considering expanding more, but I will probably go on the warpath if no one comes for me. Russia is attacking Pacal, my only ally and either he or Egypt are my first expansion targets. I am currently harvesting a barb camp for xp.

My game didn't continue like i wanted :(

When i upgraded all units to CBs, i DoWed Egypt to the right and Spain England to the left. Egypt felt down pretty rapidly when i meanwhile tried to go through Spain England capital. What a suprise when my friendly AI the Russians decided to DoW Birka :mad:

With no cities to rush buy units in that city i couldn't pursuit a good domination pace. When i made peace with Egypt with another gifted city for a total of 5 ot the east there is Birka that fallen down. I couldn't get Spain's England's capital in time so i have been reduced to dust and ended with a big loss.

Game wasn't over of course with 5 cities and good spot to produce crossbowmen again but the purpose of this game is to finish as fast as possible and there was no way to finish under a personnal decent time. So for me it's kind of a loss :)

If i knew it i would have wait for Machinery before entering any wars to the west.

- What were your initial priorities?

Scout to see where other civs are and what is the map type.

- What tech path did you follow?

writing first to go for GL. after that, lux techs (mining, calendar) and went for bottom line techs. Got philo with GL. delayed construction so that I have enough archers to upgrade.

- Were there any early wars and who started them?

I could not find a good opportunity to steal workers, so I didn't start an early one. I DoWed arabia around t40 and maya attacked russia and got 2 cities. Later maya DoWed England and France DoWed maya. Meanwhile, I DoWed egypt and took it.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Liberty free settler path, and libery finisher. Liberty is better for domination, I think. I went for free settler instead of worker first as I found an excellent spot for expo (on top of copper, 2 tiles from mt. kaliash)

- Did you do find your UU's useful?

um, I don't plan to reach that far...

Game went sth like this:

first ruin was upgrade and 2nd one was culture (t7). Opened liberty. Built one worker after scout-monument and loaned gold to buy worker asap. Made one more scout and went GL. Bought granary next.

t31, free settler.
t34, built 2nd city on top of copper.
t39, pantheon: goddess of festival, of course.
t41, GL: philo. Bought lib (sold copper to arabia) at 2nd city and started NC right away. as I sold 2 lux to arabia and he didn't like me anyway, I DoWed him.
t46, bought granary at 2nd city.
t47, got worker from bucharest.
t49, got worker from citizenship.
t56, NC done and cap spt 24, 2nd city 4. Time to do mass producing settlers at cap.
t60, barb quest done. freed worker - allied ragusa and budapest.
t60-68: settled on incense NW, wine SW.
t69, GP. ceremonial burial, ascetism. Happy all-in.
t70, meritocracy.
t73,74. freed yerevan worker and allied it. settled on cotton east river (close to egypt) and on iron next to the lake between 2nd city and cotton city. Russia lost one city to Maya and I DoFed with maya before so I attacked russia and got workers. Meanwhile, with quests, I allied 4 CS and friends with 2 CS.
t77, 5 CB on Egypt border, rdy to attack.
t80, settled 7th city between Moscow and wine city (next to mountain so that I can get machu pichu there and connect road to west so that I can attack fast later). Killing Egypt units and will take cap soon.

Got 7 cities up, have decent religion, and tech lead, good spt. Now it's time for action.. just massing units and kill'em all.

I wanted something different from CiV so I decided to check this game of the month section. Had fun with tsg52 until an unfortunate misclick (which have been happening a lot since the fall patch, don't know if it's the game or my mouse), a reload and the realization that you're not supposed to reload if playing by the rules. So I quit around t.135-145.

I started off with a double scout, and went for traditon 4-city opening with honor as my 3rd policy (barbs). I settled the Capital in place, 2nd city on the coastal wine to the west of Stockholm, 3rd by the coast/river next to the copper and the 4th on some riverside cotton east of the cap. I bought two settlers and built one. After the scouts I built a worker and a shrine, and i got the goddess of festivals-pantheon and a religion eventually. All cities were up and running by t50. Happiness or gold weren't an issue all game, and there was so much stuff to sell to rich buyers that buying settlers,workers and archers was pretty easy.

I Found a lot of ruins, but wasn't too lucky with them. Lots of maps and barb camp locations etc. I stole a worker from Hong Kong, which Harun didn't like much and therefore I got a lucky double-dow from Harun and Cathy around t40. Cathy didn't send any units my way, and Harun was held off with two archers and spearman(upgraded initial warrior). Once i got construction, Harun was ready to make a lucrative peace deal, so I took most of my army (8CBs and the spearman)to Moscow and took it quite easily, since Cathy was fighting with Pacal and probably Lizzy by that time. I made peace with Cathy immediately after taking Moscow, because I probably wouldn't have been able to keep it and would probably have lost several CBs had I continued fighting her.

After taking Moscow I decided it was time to cripple Egypt. I was a bit too ambitious in attacking Thebes, so I lost a pikeman in the initial attack.I was pretty close to getting machinery, so I just sat back and waited so I could upgrade my Cbs to Xbows.

I took Thebes without further losses, and went to take revenge on Harun immediately after that. Harun decided it was better to conquer my ally Colombo rather than defend his own cities, so Damascus and Mecca fell without much trouble.

After getting astronomy my scout sailed across the ocean to south or southeast of Ethiopia. There he found Zurich and another CS with a barb camp between them. There was just an archer in the camp, so my scout was able to take it after one healing period, and I discovered some 8 (!) barbarian workers in the lands of Zurich and close to it not doing anything. They were all captured from Zurich, which didn't have any military units. I liberated them all with the scout and allied Zurich with it's eight or nine workers!

My constant dowing prevented me from DoFing anyone except Pacal, which meant I had only one RA going. Had I continued to play, I think I might have had a little trouble trying to conquer France and England, since I didn't have much of a tech advantage over them nor did I have any RAs going since Pacal was going down in the hands of France, England and a rejuvenated yet Moscow-less Russia.

I wanted something different from CiV so I decided to check this game of the month section. Had fun with tsg52 until an unfortunate misclick (which have been happening a lot since the fall patch, don't know if it's the game or my mouse), a reload and the realization that you're not supposed to reload if playing by the rules. So I quit around t.135-145.

I started off with a double scout, and went for traditon 4-city opening with honor as my 3rd policy (barbs). I settled the Capital in place, 2nd city on the coastal wine to the west of Stockholm, 3rd by the coast/river next to the copper and the 4th on some riverside cotton east of the cap. I bought two settlers and built one. After the scouts I built a worker and a shrine, and i got the goddess of festivals-pantheon and a religion eventually. All cities were up and running by t50. Happiness or gold weren't an issue all game, and there was so much stuff to sell to rich buyers that buying settlers,workers and archers was pretty easy.

I Found a lot of ruins, but wasn't too lucky with them. Lots of maps and barb camp locations etc. I stole a worker from Hong Kong, which Harun didn't like much and therefore I got a lucky double-dow from Harun and Cathy around t40. Cathy didn't send any units my way, and Harun was held off with two archers and spearman(upgraded initial warrior). Once i got construction, Harun was ready to make a lucrative peace deal, so I took most of my army (8CBs and the spearman)to Moscow and took it quite easily, since Cathy was fighting with Pacal and probably Lizzy by that time. I made peace with Cathy immediately after taking Moscow, because I probably wouldn't have been able to keep it and would probably have lost several CBs had I continued fighting her.

After taking Moscow I decided it was time to cripple Egypt. I was a bit too ambitious in attacking Thebes, so I lost a pikeman in the initial attack.I was pretty close to getting machinery, so I just sat back and waited so I could upgrade my Cbs to Xbows.

I took Thebes without further losses, and went to take revenge on Harun immediately after that. Harun decided it was better to conquer my ally Colombo rather than defend his own cities, so Damascus and Mecca fell without much trouble.

After getting astronomy my scout sailed across the ocean to south or southeast of Ethiopia. There he found Zurich and another CS with a barb camp between them. There was just an archer in the camp, so my scout was able to take it after one healing period, and I discovered some 8 (!) barbarian workers in the lands of Zurich and close to it not doing anything. They were all captured from Zurich, which didn't have any military units. I liberated them all with the scout and allied Zurich with it's eight or nine workers!

My constant dowing prevented me from DoFing anyone except Pacal, which meant I had only one RA going. Had I continued to play, I think I might have had a little trouble trying to conquer France and England, since I didn't have much of a tech advantage over them nor did I have any RAs going since Pacal was going down in the hands of France, England and a rejuvenated yet Moscow-less Russia.

I feel there's a difference between reloading after a misclick and reloading because of an actual strategic mistake. I certainly wouldn't really care if you kept playing from your reload. If you really feel bad then just repeat the misclick and keep playing. problem solved.

I feel there's a difference between reloading after a misclick and reloading because of an actual strategic mistake. I certainly wouldn't really care if you kept playing from your reload. If you really feel bad then just repeat the misclick and keep playing. problem solved.

Thanks. It's just that I was trying to play a "competitive"-style and made a stupid "wrong unit active"-kind of a mistake which was basically my own fault :mad:. These things have happened so often that I should have been able to avoid it. The reloading will therefore defeat the purpose of trying to play competitive. And if I was to submit the game, some people might feel different about that kind of reloading. So it's best I accept the defeat and move on. Conquest-games on so large maps are tedious anyways, because my computer isn't exactly top of the line.(I think the map was Pangaea Plus or something similar, because it was quite large for a standard-sized setting)

Many times, folks who misclick/reload, and want to keep playing, will play on to victory and post a summary of their full game in the forum, but refrain from submitting the game save for inclusion in the reported results. IMO, most of the benefit of the GOTM threads is seeing how different strategies turned out for different folks.

It sounds like you did a lot of things really well, and were rolling towards an interesting confrontation with the last couple of civs. I'd like to hear how it turns out, even if you don't formally submit.

Top Bottom