Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Notices

Civ5 - General Discussions Forum for general Civ5 discussions.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Aaron90495
King

Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Yes, it had to be done.

For those who haven't heard, it looks like the next expansion will be called 'One World' (see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...458771&page=12). Judging by the name, it looks like it'll have major trade/diplomacy improvements (possibly in the late-game), but that's about all we know.

Let's try and keep the thread to what you THINK we'll see in the expansion, rather than what you want; we already have plenty of those threads.

Let the speculation begin!

Moderator Action: The link who actually sparked the discussion: http://cdr.xpaw.ru/app/8930/#section_depots .

Last edited by The_J; Jan 15, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2
SehWho
Chieftain

They pulled the leak already, makes you wonder when the announcement will be.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Tsuchinoko
Warlord

Well, in terms of new civilizations, I think that Portugal and the Zulu are pretty much inevitable judging from previous installments of the series. I also have a feeling that Sumeria, Poland and the Sioux could end up being in it too.

In terms of new mechanics, I have absolutely no idea - the name 'One World' doesn't really give much indication as to what the expansion will be focused on (unlike 'Gods + Kings')...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
SehWho
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchinoko View Post
Well, in terms of new civilizations, I think that Portugal and the Zulu are pretty much inevitable judging from previous installments of the series. I also have a feeling that Sumeria, Poland and the Sioux could end up being in it too.

In terms of new mechanics, I have absolutely no idea - the name 'One World' doesn't really give much indication as to what the expansion will be focused on (unlike 'Gods + Kings')...
Fingers crossed for Portugal! On the /v/ Civ 5 thread, someone said that One World=Globalization=Corporations, but I don't see it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:38 PM   #5
TheKingOfBigOz
Deity

One World... OOOH, Kim, Chelsea, Kat are coming back.. wait.. no... am I confusing a game with Survivor? Oh, silly old me xD.

One World... could it be something akin Beyond the Sword in which it focuses on the post Medieval Era, i.e One World? Because in theory, we all live in rather similar culture, there's no more American culture, or European culture, it's more or less all communal/same.

If you create another file and make it update the base game its modding. but if you just change the base game file that's cheating. - knightmare13

I think we should dwelp more on the subject.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
SehWho
Chieftain

Here's for multiple leaders!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Petiscator
King

This new made my day! I'm really looking forward to it. Portugal and the Zulu are in for sure, I guess
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8
TheKingOfBigOz
Deity

According to 2k forum's thread "Can we have an update?", the entries were removed.. guess they're onto us.

If you create another file and make it update the base game its modding. but if you just change the base game file that's cheating. - knightmare13

Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
SehWho
Chieftain

http://cdr.xpaw.ru/app/8930/#section_depots
It's still there from this link, actually
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Pouakai
Tangaroa

When I heard 'One World' I immediately thought Colonisation which in turn made me think Scramble for Africa, since we already have a New World scenario
"I saw our people spreading throughout the land and across the oceans, expanding our kingdom, discovering new people and great riches in faraway lands" - More Civilizations. Most Recent: Polynesian Civilization Pack
"We built wonderous monuments honouring the gods, which reached up to touch the very fabric of the heavens." - More Wonders. Most Recent: St. Mark's Basilica
"Mankind will always look onward yearning for more; searching for new boundaries only to break through them" - More Sponsors. Coming Soon.

| More Wonders | More Sponsors | More Civilizations |
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Villager720
Warlord

Colonization and Trade improvements could be a lot of fun. And would hopefully be accompanied with some African/American civs.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:07 PM   #12
TheKingOfBigOz
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouakai View Post
When I heard 'One World' I immediately thought Colonisation which in turn made me think Scramble for Africa, since we already have a New World scenario
When I heard 'One World' I thought of nothing but Survivor 24.

Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Crafty Bison
King

Additions to exploration! Bring back the ranger!
But seriously. Trade revamp for my money, may finally look at diplo too. I'd like to see some late game expansion, particularly some mechanics mimicking globalisation. Would be fun to see tourism and international sports additions for me .
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Liex
King

These speculation threads are usually nicer than the game itself - at least for me! I'm glad they're back, and I do hope to see an official announcement very soon.

I guess I'm with the guy who said it has something to do with globalization. Probably that would mean a more complex/comprehensive diplomacy, trade, ecology and some modern nations. Of course I'd love to see Portugal (and even the Zulu) returning as the xpack's flagship.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Pouakai
Tangaroa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liex View Post
These speculation threads are usually nicer than the game itself - at least for me! I'm glad they're back, and I do hope to see an official announcement very soon.
Absolutely - I love the analysis threads that we have in the lead-up
"I saw our people spreading throughout the land and across the oceans, expanding our kingdom, discovering new people and great riches in faraway lands" - More Civilizations. Most Recent: Polynesian Civilization Pack
"We built wonderous monuments honouring the gods, which reached up to touch the very fabric of the heavens." - More Wonders. Most Recent: St. Mark's Basilica
"Mankind will always look onward yearning for more; searching for new boundaries only to break through them" - More Sponsors. Coming Soon.

| More Wonders | More Sponsors | More Civilizations |
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:43 PM   #16
kaspergm
Deity

I'm super excited. One World gives me associations to Beyond The Sword in terms of focusing on late game and not-war. And that's what I was hoping for. Really hope this turns out to be legit.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Zilkin
Chieftain

This is great news for sure. Civ 5 has been in Steam's top 20 bestselling list almost continuously since it's release, and G&K seems to selling real well too. So I was kinda hopefully that they were working on another expansion. Nice to see some "confirmation", keep on giving us new content Firaxis!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #18
BobDole
American Leader in Civ VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingOfBigOz View Post
One World... OOOH, Kim, Chelsea, Kat are coming back.. wait.. no... am I confusing a game with Survivor? Oh, silly old me xD.

One World... could it be something akin Beyond the Sword in which it focuses on the post Medieval Era, i.e One World? Because in theory, we all live in rather similar culture, there's no more American culture, or European culture, it's more or less all communal/same.
Yeah, Survivor's the first thing I thought of. Hopefully the expansion is better than that season, assuming it's true.
As for what the expansion could contain, who the hell knows. One World as in an interconnected world with trade and diplomacy, or as in One World owned by the warmongering Zulu who conquered and assimilated everyone else?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Browd
Dilettante

Probably also going to include key themes from Lost -- time travel and all.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #20
drlucifer
Chieftain

Unfounded speculation:

- expanded role of the UN, or some earlier version(s) of the UN
- Cold War or modern world scenario
- Olympics/Hollywood/other worldwide culture or happiness
- use culture to purchase GPs/influence CSs
- immigration
- tourism
- deeper trade
- Swiss and Brazilian civs in addition to Zulu or Maasai