News: TSG53 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 53
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Fifty-Third game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Cultural victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Boudicca and lead The Celtic Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Cultural victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until February 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG53 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Boudicca - Celts
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.21. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Boudicca, you possess Druidic Lore. You gain +1 Faith per city with an adjacent unimproved Forest. Bonus increases to +2 Faith in Cities with 3 or more adjacent unimproved Forest tiles.

You can train the Pictish Warrior, which replaces Spearman. Only the Celts may build this unit. It has a combat bonus outside of friendly territory and can pillage enemy improvements at no additional movement cost. Earns 50% of opponents' strength as Faith for kills.

You can also build the Ceilidh Hall, which replaces the Opera House. It increases the city's Culture and Happiness and may only be built by the Celts.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Friday, 15 February 2012.

The Save can be found here.

Not a bad starting locaton. I might settle 1SE of Stone and go for aggressive cultural puppeting. ;)

Yes looks like a nice spot if you want the 2 faith per turn. I might to the Longest Name Ever if there is room.

Definitely on the hill, 2 faith per turn and regular benefits of hill placement.

Hope the extra 2 CSs are cultural....

HR: Think you need to sticky these three threads.

Does "adjacent unimproved Forest" mean adjacent to the city (i.e. within the first ring), within its cultural borders, or both?

Does "adjacent unimproved Forest" mean adjacent to the city (i.e. within the first ring), within its cultural borders, or both?

Both. The forest has to touch the tile where the city is located. This can be annoying later on when you want to improve the tiles, but by then I guess you will have more faith generators anyway.

He cannot sticky threads as he is not a mod. I have done so.

Patience is a virtue... :mischief:

Definitely on the hill, 2 faith per turn and regular benefits of hill placement.

Hope the extra 2 CSs are cultural religious....

Fixed that for you.

Eh, rather have the culturals. Celt UA plus three potentially useful faith-giving pantheon beliefs (Stone Circles, Goddess of Festivals or Religious Idols) plus shrines and temples (most built after opening Piety) means you'll have penty of faith, even without religious CS friendships, or religious Natural Wonders, or Stonehenge.

The main problem will be deciding on which pantheon belief makes most sense. Winner based on capital location would be Goddess of Festivals (with 2 incense, that's 2 faith and 2 culture). But, if you take the hill site, you'll be picking a pantheon on turn 6 -- not much time to explore to see if quarries, gold/silver or incense/wine are more plentiful in the general area.

Sorry, Browd and budweiser. it is only 16 CSs (and corrected in the OP). in my early rush to publishing these i didnt correct the CS numbers. My apologies.

and yeah, I can't sticky things. but i sweep the floors, do a little dish-washing and when they're feeling nice they let me take the car into town to fill it up with gas. :p

Eh, rather have the culturals. Celt UA plus three potentially useful faith-giving pantheon beliefs (Stone Circles, Goddess of Festivals or Religious Idols) plus shrines and temples (most built after opening Piety) means you'll have penty of faith, even without religious CS friendships, or religious Natural Wonders, or Stonehenge.

The main problem will be deciding on which pantheon belief makes most sense. Winner based on capital location would be Goddess of Festivals (with 2 incense, that's 2 faith and 2 culture). But, if you take the hill site, you'll be picking a pantheon on turn 6 -- not much time to explore to see if quarries, gold/silver or incense/wine are more plentiful in the general area.

I dont think you can go wrong with Festivals on this one. You can just go take the wine away from whoever gets it. Festivals would trump Idols because of Monestaries.

Oh, I am thinking maximum faith, like 1000 fpt. Not sure if thats possible.

You have to work that tile to get the bonus. And who wants to work an incense tile? :D Hope there is desert nearby ..

That is what makes Stone Circles one of my favorites. Who doesn't work quarry tiles the entire game?

Just did a Boudaccia cultural, and got Longest Name Ever (more like longest Game ever.) This looks good though; after moving warrior one to the se i'd probably settle on that hill as mentioned. Celidh Halls are the bomb.

Looks like a lovely game. Will give it a go after a break (I didn't even consider attempting Immortal and Deity at this point in time). Moving on the hill may seem a good idea, although I'd be tempted to find out what's on the gold hill. In one corner it appears to be a forest but I can't see what's on the other one (feels like sea/lake).

But lovely start position.

I've been itching to play another culture game, so I'm looking forward to trying this out. Might warm up with TSG51 first though. I haven't done a GOTM before.

Top Bottom