Elamite Horned Warrior

Spillsandstains

Warlord
It's terribly sad that so many good unit makers have gone, so as a rather shabby consolation prize here is an axeman i made a while ago, badly made from an ambrox axeman with a titfer and a pair of horns stuck on top. it was intended as a uu for elam - when i was researching it there was a couple of references to "horned warriors" rampaging all over the place. i even remembered a screenshot! plus i think there's a button in the folder. hope it's of use or at least amusing.

Attachments

• elam_horned_warrior_for_UPLOAD.rar
    185.3 KB · Views: 140
  • bloke with a funny hat.JPG
    bloke with a funny hat.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 755
I tried to add this one, but it doesn't work for me in Civ IV BtS. It just does the no animation thing with arms out to each side. I've had that before on a few other units, but I don't remember the cause.

I've added about 100 units to my game, so I know how to add units. I hope someone could point out why it's not working. Here's my XML code in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit:

Code:
		<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_KASSU_RISA</Type>
			<Button>Art/Units/kassurisa/kassurisa.dds</Button>
			<fScale>0.44</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/kassurisa/cubma.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Axeman/Axeman.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/kassurisa/cubma.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
		</UnitArtInfo>

I believe that would be because your using the wrong animations for the unit. The KFM reference must be with the correct animations(animations the unit is compatable with) or you'll get errors like the one your describing.

Looking at the unit I'd start with trying out the Vulture, Dog Soldier or Incan Unique Unit animations, whatever works best. Hope this helps.

Sword_Of_Geddon: Right you are. Thank you.

I had the same thought yesterday after I added another unit and it's head was missing until I used another animation. However, I never did anything about it since I wasn't fully convinced, given that neither the authors post nor the download tells anything about other animations and only mentions axeman. However, given your comment, I decided to give it a try. Turns out it was dog warrior animation :)

oops sorry bunnies

i did this - like everything - in a tearing hurry, i'll try and find out for you.

ok - it uses the

elamite horned warrior uses - <KFM>Art/Units/Unique_NativeAmerica_DogSoldier/Dogsoldier.kfm</KFM>

and at no extra cost

PEDIA:
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ELAM_HORNED_WARRIOR_PEDIA</Tag>
<English>[TAB]Elamite culture was suffused with the image of the horned diety, and these attributes were considered sacred. Texts attest to the fielding of "horned warriors" and images of the troops, wearing horned helmets and bearing axes, exist; Elam certainly had it's military traditions and fought long and hard against first the Sumer - Akkad city states and later babylon and Assyria. "Kassu Risa" is Elamite and means "great horn".</English>
</TEXT>

There's a "Nifskope" tool you can download for free - if you open up the NIF with that it often tells you what animation/model it was based on. I used it to mnake this some time ago, using a "Cuban Maceman" (hence the "cubma" reference). The real work was done by bernie14 a long time ago in the form of an Iroquois axeman. I really just stuck bits on it using guesswork, based on an image of "horned warriors" mural i came across. It was fun!

There's an Elam civ I did if you fancy it . . .

Thankyou for coming in Spillsandstains, this really is a great unit. I enjoy lesser known Civilizations like the Elamites, its always good to learn new things.

Asjo: I had a lot of headaches early on when figuring out adding new units, fitting the right animations is the key. When I make mistakes and learn from them I figure it is so we can help others from our own experiences. That's what I believe anyway.

Stay modding my friends! :)

it was a pleasure. i'll find some other stuff to upload, and will try to make the elam civ into a module for you. i've never done it before.

i think what i liked about the elam geezer was his hat. more units with hats! i'm just testing one now . . . and yes it's very basic too.

Top Bottom