TSG54 Opening Actions thread

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG54 Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you do find your UU and UB useful?

Turn 112

My initial priorities were scatterbrained. Mainly scouting the land to see what kind of empire I could have. Early on, I started to think I had an enourmous island to myself. Even tho I built an Atlatlist instead of a scout, I got to five CS first and as many ruins. Later I found out I was far from alone, which was a bit weird.

B/c I was becoming more convinced I was alone, I built GLib and NC before settling. In retrospect this came off brilliant, b/c I still got almost exactly the spots I wanted, even with my second city at turn 80 or so. Furthermore, I got some early friendships with Dido and Bo. Once I realized how much land there was, and how many good city locales, I knew this was a chance for some serious city sprawl, and now I'm popping cities like a madman, making up for lost time and then some.

Early techs were to get resources, then wonders: GLib, then Pyramids, then Oracle, then CI, now MP.

Early war between Spain and Dido. I was lucky b/c my military was way behind. Now I'm middle of the pack, and just in time, b/c everybody is starting to dislike me now that I went from a tiny empire to the biggest one.

I opened Tradition then took legalism. After that I worked the Liberty tree to completion. Opened Lib, got the worker, the golden age/ cheaper policies, the extra production, the free settler, the happy trade routes. I had a brilliant plan to create the ultimate petra city in the faraway silver desert, but an unknown civ built it during the same turn my Liberty-Free-Settler arrived at my soon to be Petra town:mad:. That city was going to rock:cry:. Now I think I'll just take TerraCotta Army b/c the culture will aid expansion, and a couple city states want it.

My culture will probably slow to a crawl real soon since I'm spamming cities, so it will likely be Rationalism and then Freedom from soon onward.

The Atlatlist are nice and cheap. Great way to build a defensive army too. I've built four so far and now they are CBs, b/c Dido and Isabella look fairly hostile. The pyramid is fantastic. Science and religion, just what I needed early game.

I took the first pantheon, Messenger of the Gods. With my infinite city sprawl strategy, +2 science from trade routes, the pyramids and libraries, I should become scientifically dominant if I don't die in the mid game. I also took the first religion. I took tithe and pagodas. Hopefully my religion will dominate the continent/pangea landmass, and the tithe will be worth it. The pagodas should aid with happiness and keep my missionaries cranking out. Not sure what I'll do when I enhance. I should be first to do so with all my sweet pyramids rocking that religion.

• What were your initial priorities?
    I wanted to get the Calendar ASAP to maximize early GP. Other than that : scouting, building my cap, huh i didn't really think further.
    As for my build order, i started with the usual Scout, then a worker but i switched to Pyramids when i got Pottery before finishing my worker. Delayed my early improvement but i got first Pantheon (messenger of gods) and early boost to science. This helped me get Writing quickly so when i finished my Worker i started the Great Library. Risky but possible on Emperor. I was able to build it and followed with National College while i was still at 1 City. This really helped me get to Theology fast. I don't remember the exact turn but i got it in the 50 or so turns, and now turn 117 (50 AD) i got my 4th great person :D
    First one was Scientist to plant an academy on the horses near Palenque, then Engineer to boost prod at Palenque (manufactury), then Artist because there was a city state asking for one and i wanted some culture to grow my northern borders as Dido is there. Now i got a General as 2 CS asked for one and Isabella has had troops near my borders for some time now.
  • What tech path did you follow?
    Beeline to Writing, then beeline to Theology, then catch back on ressource techs, then Education, then grab a couple utility early techs and now i'm on to astronomy for the observatories.
    I was lucky with Goody Huts BTW, only got 2 early on but one of them gave me +1 pop turn 7 or so, and most important the second one gave me Mining, allowing me to grab Copper without delaying Theology.
  • Were there any early wars and who started them?
    Yeah, there was a pretty nasty war started by the barbs :lol: They captured several workers from other civs. I kept the spanish one but freed those from the CS so i got friends and even allies early. Belgrade was extremely useful in providing me with several units.
    I also captured an english settler when i spotted him near Palenque. Strange when i captured him, i was asked whether to keep him as a worker or give him back to Dido. :eek: I never managed to keep a captured settler, not sure how Elizabeth did.
    Speaking of Liza, she showed a couple turns later offering some gold for peace.
    Isabella has catapults, archers and warriors moving along my northern border but so far, she didn't dare declare on me. Might be because of the knights patrolling my lands :viking:
    Lately, Dido declared on Liza and Wu Zetian on Boudica.
  • What Social Policies did you choose and why?
    Liberty for the free settler and worker while i was building wonders and science buildings, also for a second early Great Scientist so i could benefit from academies.
  • Did you do find your UU and UB useful?
    Pyramids are great to get an early tech lead and an early religion. I only bought 1 Atlatist as i was quite busy buying workers/settlers and i didn't built a single military unit. He sure helped me with those barbs while i was beelining to Theology.
  • Other notes.
    I've been able to build a surprisingly high number of wonders. Palenque is quite a powerhouse. That early manufactury is strong.

As for Religion, i've choosen Messenger of Gods to further improve science, Pagodas cause they are so great, Church Property (i had some treasury issues when i got my Prophet), then the faith/wonder and itinerant preachers. My plan is to burn faith for Scientists after i have all my Pagodas. My religion was second created and first enhanced as i built Hagia Sophia only a couple turns after my initial prophet.
    I messed my techs a bit and won't be able to enter Renaissance for the next Policy. Not sure what i will take, open Commerce or Tradition (i feel like my borders are not expanding) as i have finished Liberty already.

holy random, guess you all got pretty lucky so far. I couldnt even play too far in before Dido (friendly) rolls in out of the fog with a ridiculous amount of units for me to defend against.

Cant see what I would even do differently except huddle all my units at home, not scout, and ..oh bother..this should be a defensible position too I spose but the only place worth moving too (west) was just impossible to get any of my units back in time to defend against the crazy out of the blue early rush crap, is this how dido always is, just an untrustworthy piece of %#^% , seem to remember her friendly being worthless in some other game I had with her

Exploring, hoping to hit ruins. My 1st scout died when 3 barbs jumped on him so that died. Did get Pottery and Animal Husbandry though from Ruins.
Wanted a Religion. I still don't have it at T100.
Wanted 4 cities fast, but I barely managed to get the 4th at around T97. Did get NC quite fast though.

Pottery-Mining-Writing-Iron Working (getting all the lovely jungle)-Mathematics( Got Hanging Gardens)-Theology (700BC - Took Oracle in between)-Education(3 turns to go)

Not so far, but Lizzy is already Hostile, and Dido came with a very large army south. Having DoF with Dido and Byzanthium. These are the only diplos in the world atm. China attacked Prague.

Tradition in order to grow, but I didn't hit Renaissance before my next one so I got the 1st in Patronage already. I got a Monument built, so that my capital got a free amphitheater.

Cheap Atlantians (can't remember their real name) made for a good rush of built units (1 per turn) so after education I'll hit Construction maybe and get a go on Isabella.
But the unique building has been lovely. 1st Pantheon at a very long distance before the next, and Research has been going quite nice (otherwise I think I'd already be behind).

Pacal and the gals
Well, wasn't this an interesting surprise? I'm curious if it's true in the game what's in real life also: girls just start arguing. I'll be in the middle of things. But I'm quite happy about the way things are.

Then, there's the map. I must say it's going to be hell going through it. I still don't even know where England is, for example. But very fun to navigate. Nice going there. The given position cuts the map in two with that mountain range, and with all the jungle around defending will come easy.

Settled in place, focused on growing. Well, as best as I could, which is not that great. Was tempted to spam cities, since I've read the Maya ICS guide not so long ago, but I'm still not certain on how to play Liberty. Second city went down fast (according to schedule, north-east, next to citrus), but Third (south of the mountain range, on the marsh next to the desert - hoping for Petra there, otherwise it's going to be a big problem) and Fourth (hill, next to gems on the north-west) went really late, as the AI didn't really have money and I still didn't figure out how to keep the happiness going better. Aside from the capital, no other city has a mountain, while my fourth doesn't even have a River, but I wanted to keep the cities closer (well, 6 tiles from each other) so as to cut the landmass. Might get some good delays if I make the gals fight each other over me.

I didn't focus at all on religion, yet. Which might be a bad thing, considering the Mayan Calendar, but it will get it's turns. I got Messenger of the Gods (oh huray, I still didn't build any roads), but nobody else seems to be rushing in that direction (which is weird considering Boudicca).

Got about 7 archers so far, waiting for Construction, spearman out of the original warrior, and two horsies from Belgrade (thank the Balkans for the army).

The population is growing steady, but at the moment they have really low production. Will need to see how I can improve on that. Petra would be a blessing, but I have this funny feeling I will lose it.

Getting to Renaissance will be the next hurde, as I really want to get into Rationalism and not spend into Patronage for the time being (which I now regret, as Commerce would've probably been better, but at some point I do want the GP gifts, as the Mayan Calendar might be a problem).

awesome game so far. i've just reached education, have 4 cities + nc up and already 2 academies in the capital (one GS from long count and another one from liberty finisher).

i settled in place, built scout->monument->pyramid->granary->library. picked liberty and went for the worker first (stole another one from Belgrade). bought a settler, settled a second city on the other site of the mountains to the west and bought a library there. i found a lot of ruins, but most of them were barb camps and maps (3 and 2 i think), but i had some luck with later ruins (see below). beelined theology and unlocked it with GL around turn 57, so i could get my first GP at the 4th baktun at turn 62. picked a GS which i settled on the horses because i figured i would work this tile anyway and wouldnt lose any food, only 1 production. i then also reached collective rule and settled my 3rd city just west of the 2nd, next to bananas and copper.

2nd long count GP came at turn 72 and i picked a prophet, which (or is it whom?) i used to enhance my religion. yep thats right, i had already managed to found one about 10 turns earlier thanks to 2x 60 Faith ruins and an alliance with Wittenberg, who, though hostile in nature, were very glad i cleared a camp and rescued 2(!) of their workers :D i picked tithe, religious community, pagodas and religious texts, fertility rites earlier as pantheon, although i already think sacred path might have been a better choice. i have a feeling that i will work a lot of jungle tiles soon ;) i already send a missionary to England and Spain and just bought another one to spread the religion to my own cities.
oddly enough the Celts haven't founded a pantheon in my game. i wonder whats wrong there?

i have just picked my 3rd long count GP, an engineer, who is on his way to built Petra in my 4th city just north of Monaco. i originally planned to pick a general and admiral first to be able to pop another GS naturally before i mess with the GP point threshold, but i think securing Petra early might be worth it.

i almost always start with picking tradition, but this game looked like it would suit liberty very well and i really wanted the early worker. i think i will be going for 6-7 cities. there are just so many awesome spots, most of them near mountains. i wonder how the lesser growth will affect my beakers in the later game though. i'm not used to build aqueducts manually and am not quite sure when its the right time to do so. what i really miss is the faster border expansion. its soooo slow with liberty :rolleyes: i will probably get Angkor Wat if i can spare the time. the other civs have just about reached the classical era, so i guess i'm not in a hurry there and can get the Oracle, observatories, Machu Picchu and maybe CI first.

i think i'm on a very good way to a rather fast finish time, but am somehow afraid that i will still mess it up someway. i'm planning on playing peacefully, but will probably snatch a city or two should i be attacked. i suspected Dido of backstabbing me, but she decided to go for England instead and those two are currently still at war. i have a DoF with Theodora and Dido and am at full-price-friendly with all the others except the Celts and an undiscovered player, but right now the AIs seem to be rather short on cash. i think RAs will have to wait a bit and i will rushbuy a university in my capital first.

the only "problem" i have right now is that i can reach the renaissance via acoustics in 11 turns, but will have to adopt my next SP in 10. i'm not sure if i should just go for astronomy instead and open commerce before adopting rationalism or if that will be a waste of SP on the fastest way to scientific revolution. i could, however, buy or build another settler and found my 5th city soon, which would allow me to open rationalism and its 15% science bonus in about 13 turns at turn 100. but this would delay observatories and also my university (buying settler) or could mean i miss out on the hanging gardens, which i have half built (switch to build settler first). additionally, my preferred city spot might also anger England, Spain and Carthage.
decisions, decisions... i think i will sleep a night over it :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

i will rushbuy a university in my capital first.

the only "problem" i have right now is that i can reach the renaissance via acoustics in 11 turns, but will have to adopt my next SP in 10.

And this is not enough? Urgh i feel your pain.

--------------------------------------

I stopped to the turn 140. No screenies atm.

I got a slow start...i think...but it turned ok later. I built 2 settlers from capital for a 4 cities Trad start thanks to a good hammer start. Picked +1 culture form jungle(to full tradition fast). Got unlucky with camps i only got a culture(turn 16) and a gold one and all others were camps notifications or maps. So i settled 4 cities right away and 4 workers around the turn 45. My army was still inexistent when i finally finished the GL and popped Theo arund the turn 65. I got some exploration difficulties, barbs were converging on my territory every damn turn and a camp was blocking the way from the west. Found 2 civs before the turn 15 but last ones only after the turn 90.

I founded and enhanced a religion in like 3 turns(80ish). I picked ceremonial burial, +15 production, +1 food from shrines/temples(already 4 pyramids were built) and religious texts. I like this combo when i can get a fast religion.

But all this wasnt without a double DoW from Spain and England. Thankfully, my 2 cities in front of them were on hills and well placed for defense. In fact they never showed up :lol: I finally put some atlatists in front an lazylly(?) repulsed them and got a peace deal later(no gimmies). I built NC around 85, Machu Pichu(95) and Oracle(ge from UA). I tried CI but lost it half built. Got Astro(115) after Education(98) and Metal Casting(106).

Spain DoWed me again but got a favorable peace deal later. Founded a 5th city near whales. I got Aesthetics from Patronnage before taking 2 policies from Rationalism. I'm actually experimenting a fast Oracle in my games to get that policy ASAP so i can get the friendly bonuses without putting a single penny. Really useful.

Edit : Here goes the screenies.

Turn 100
Spoiler :

Turn 140
Spoiler :

I've got off to one of my best starts yet.

Turn 101, almost finished astronomy. I went for a great library rush off liberty (free worker first), followed immediately by national college, then I expanded to 4 cities and have taken one city off of Spain.

Got two great scientists, one from liberty finisher and one from long count, both made academies. Enhanced religion with second long count, have gone for super duper shrines :)

Declared war against everyone just about on sight, pretty much just sue for peace and then declare war as soon as the peace deal ends lol.

Some screenshots including wonders, policy, religion and demographics:
http://imgur.com/a/pBNe7

Check out these bad boys:

Fast 1 city NC to tradition 4 city opening.

Ruins: pop 1 to 2, culture around t15, mining tech, some gold, map, barb camp.

Tech: pottery - writing - masonry (mining pop) - calendar - drama - phil pop with GL - theology - trapping - beeline to math - beeline to Civil Service and edu - Acoustics - iron working and went for astronomy - fill bottom techs to printing press.

Cap BO: scout - monument - pyramid(UB) - 2 more scouts - GL - NC - archer - warrior - HS - HG - wonders.
expos: pyramid - granary - library.

Detailed event log:

t14: bought worker (I think 2 gold ruins + CS meeting money + loans).
t18: DoWed Spain (got gold before and stole worker).
t23: sold copper to celt and bought granary. This early granary was really helpful. Had pantheon at the same time - spent really long time on this, and finally chose fertility rites.
t27: Landed elite (tradition one) opened.
t29: fair peace with spain. Pop ruin! 4 to 5.
t30: culture ruin. 3 Scouts are doing good job so far.
t32: found fountain of youth! too bad that I won't have it as it is too far away.
t34: as byz and celt both went honor 2, I paid byz to DoW Celt - of course I did this with gpt and lux and DoWed to get them back at the same turn. Bought one archer (UU) to defend against barb and clear camp near Belgrade.
t41: GL done - pop phil and start NC right away. Chose aristocracy (15% wonder boost from tradition).
t42: reached the west coast. Met all the civs already and trying to meet more CS and do quests.
t43: stole worker from Kuala Lumpur. Piliaged 2 tiles.
t44: bought settler. NC 6 turns to go. Pop 7.
t48: cleared barb camp and allied belgrade.
t49: bought another settler. Got gold from "loans" and lux sells. DoWed 1 or 2 civs and got gold peace deals already. NC done.
t52: 2nd city, north of cap, hill between 2 rivers so that I had banana 1 ring and 1 more banana and citrus 3 ring.
t54: 3rd city, east of cap, NE of one tile mountain so that I could get ivory and truffle.
t61: monarchy open. Happiness is pretty tight.
t62: first UA. Got GS and academy it up. spt 46 for cap and 2,1 for 2nd and 3rd city.
t65: barb quests for two CS SE.
t70: HS done. Tithe and pagoda.
t71: 4th city, NW of cap, where I could get gem and banana 2nd ring and old faithful, banana, copper 3rd ring. Of course on the hill next to mountain. Almost everyone denounced me, but don't care. DoWed most civs except Dido (#1 army) and got fair or gold peace deal.
t78: 193 gold + DoW England deal for Dido. "paid" 4 lux for that, but DoWed immediately.
t79: HG done. stole one more worker from Spain.
t80: tradition done. Religion enhanced - religious community and 30% further spread.
t81: one more worker from spain :lol:England offered York for peace, but got gold + gpt instead.
t82: education done and bought uni at cap. spt 94 and 78 for cap alone.
t84: stole worker from Dido. Dido took London.
t86: got GP from UA to spread religion. Built manufactory with the previous one.
t91: delayed acoustics 1 turn to buy one pagoda before renaissance. Oracle at the same turn and opend rationalism. One more worker from Spain but cannot use this one as it got stuck SE of Spain cap and sea.
t96: CI done. Several gold+gpt peace deals have been made recently.
t99: secularism.
t102: astronomy and my spy killed 2-3 spies already. used loans and saved money to buy obs at the cap. spt 225. 123, 34, 29, 8 spt for 4 cities respectively. Pop 16, 8, 7, 4.
t110:Machu Pichu.
t112: Free thoughts (univ +17%). spt 268 and 3 turns till printing press.

Spent golds + quests for culture CS, as I entered renaissance early and wanted to fill up to free thoughts asap. After this, will open pat. no RA for sure, so don't need more rationalism sp for a while.

Could not get any maritime CS so pop growth was slower than expected. Did not have enough gold to rush buy univ and obs, so bought only for cap and hard built for other places. Maybe bought univ for 2nd city.

Maya is really OP and this starting location is legendary... I expect good finish time for this one.

And this is not enough? Urgh i feel your pain.

--------------------------------------

I got a slow start...i think...but it turned ok later. I built 2 settlers from capital for a 4 cities Trad start thanks to a good hammer start. Picked +1 culture form jungle(to full tradition fast). Got unlucky with camps i only got a culture(turn 16) and a gold one and all others were camps notifications or maps. So i settled 4 cities right away and 4 workers around the turn 45.

Spain DoWed me again but got a favorable peace deal later. Founded a 5th city near whales. I got Aesthetics from Patronnage before taking 2 policies from Rationalism. I'm actually experimenting a fast Oracle in my games to get that policy ASAP so i can get the friendly bonuses without putting a single penny. Really useful.

4 cities and 4 workers at t45...that's really fast. I assume that you controlled happiness problem really well.

I considered that pantheon too, but I was going for 1 city NC so I worried that I would waste my pantheon for like 30 turns if I chose that one. With really fast 4 cities, that one would be the best one.

For SP, did you get aesthetics with Oracle?

I've got off to one of my best starts yet.

Turn 101, almost finished astronomy. I went for a great library rush off liberty (free worker first), followed immediately by national college, then I expanded to 4 cities and have taken one city off of Spain.

Got two great scientists, one from liberty finisher and one from long count, both made academies. Enhanced religion with second long count, have gone for super duper shrines :)

Declared war against everyone just about on sight, pretty much just sue for peace and then declare war as soon as the peace deal ends lol.

Some screenshots including wonders, policy, religion and demographics:
http://imgur.com/a/pBNe7

Check out these bad boys:

man I guess you put all religion perk on shrine UB. Nice one.

For DoW thing, I did pretty much the same thing - it's just too tempting to get the gold out of those AIs. t102 astronomy.. I guess I reached it at the very similar time. I hope my tradition finishing would give me mid-late game higher growth.

For SP, did you get aesthetics with Oracle?

Yes.

I really think that a GL-NC start is that bomb here because of the UA/UB. I'm playing under HoF rules so it certainly a little more painful when it's time to get gold in critical phases. I will try to get some use of Rationalism with some RAs and the finisher.

man I guess you put all religion perk on shrine UB. Nice one.

Yeah, to be honest going jungle culture and 15% production would probably have been better but I couldn't resist the shrines of doom, just for the coolness factor.

I guess I didnt think this through enough. Jungle culture might have been really nice in combo with some bananas and university for sci bonus. On the other hand I only have 1 out of four cities in middle of jungle so I dunno.

I got Sacred water for +1 happy from river cities

I saw the start here and immediately thought OCC science. I rushed Writing and then went up to Philosophy for the NC. In hindsight, I could have got away with the GL because it didn't go until turn 61.

As I said earlier, I went straight to Writing with a brief detour to Mining before heading to Philosophy. After that, I went up to Civil Service, grabbed Masonry for the marble, then headed through Theology to Education.

There was only one war around turn 70 between Dido and Lizzy, and nothing happened there. I was a bit worried about Lizzy being angry because I had an early game friendship with Dido, but Lizzy ended up being friendly while Dido randomly covets my lands at the moment.

I went full on Tradition because I had no reason to do anything else. I think my timing getting straight into Rationalism might get messed up because I was apparently friends with Kuala Lumpur for a pretty long time.

I found the pyramid's extra science pretty nice when getting through some of the early techs. It let me get through Philosophy six turns faster than usual. Atlatlists were nice as I could buy more of them to defend against a lot of early barbs.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

did 1 city NC because I think it's really strong with the maya. beelined theology so hard i couldnt even get masonry. t85 education.

took fertility rites, some additional growth seemed like the best choice. i did not built HS, built pyramids instead and GEd Hanging Gardens. Spreading religion seemed like a little bit of waste since i was already managing my happiness problem anyways. So I focused on saving faith for Scientists. Founded rather late, tithe, pagodas, faith from world wonders and religious texts.

had so much culture (Citystates) that I had to take patronage opener first. slowed down free thought a couple of turns. now im 2 policies away from rat finisher, 6 turns till i unlock the next one. aesthetics is up.

t160 i opened oxford with plastics, bought 2 labs right away, have very high gpt (~300) and keep sucking gold from ais. should have next 2 labs within 10 turns and go over 1k beakers (now is ~900).

perhaps started warring too late, carthage is falling next turn, should be able to grab 1-2 more caps in time. should also settle a few decent spots and rushbuy science stuff.

argh! i want coal!

did 1 city NC because I think it's really strong with the maya. beelined theology so hard i couldnt even get masonry. t85 education.

took fertility rites, some additional growth seemed like the best choice. i did not built HS, built pyramids instead and GEd Hanging Gardens. Spreading religion seemed like a little bit of waste since i was already managing my happiness problem anyways. So I focused on saving faith for Scientists. Founded rather late, tithe, pagodas, faith from world wonders and religious texts.

had so much culture (Citystates) that I had to take patronage opener first. slowed down free thought a couple of turns. now im 2 policies away from rat finisher, 6 turns till i unlock the next one. aesthetics is up.

t160 i opened oxford with plastics, bought 2 labs right away, have very high gpt (~300) and keep sucking gold from ais. should have next 2 labs within 10 turns and go over 1k beakers (now is ~900).

perhaps started warring too late, carthage is falling next turn, should be able to grab 1-2 more caps in time. should also settle a few decent spots and rushbuy science stuff.

argh! i want coal!

Nice start-mid game! Your game seems to be very similar to mine. I had t161 plastics and about 900 spt after buying 2-3 labs.

I built HS and regretted it.. your choice is better one imo.

For coal, I agree =(

Well, I'm underperforming, but I'm new, so I have an excuse. :)

I'm experimenting with ICS, so I built Atlatlist and then Settler right away. Managed to get three cities down by turn 100, and my science is +27 a turn. Building pyramids at every opportunity, and I'm almost done with Chichen Itza in Palenque, which only has four citizens. Populations are very low. Izzy just DoWed me, and is sending archers and warriors at my cities; she'll be a problem, but my production is actually fairly good, so I may be able to get units to defend against her. Taking only Liberty policies for now. I too Messenger of the Gods for my pantheon, and I got the first religion, going with Interfaith Dialogue and Pagodas. I'm thinking I should allow my cities pop go from 2 to 3, so I can boost my science.

Turn 101, just got Astronomy.

My initial priority was to scout everything around me looking for the other civs and any ancient ruins, so I built two scouts to start with. I ended up getting around 9-10 ancient ruins in total, including 2 late (turn 20 or so) over by Spain which surprised me, and a few to my southwest (by Monaco) that I found when my scout was circling back to home.

I went Pottery, Mining, Writing, Calender, Drama and Poetry, then Theology. I got Philo from the GL, and popped AH and Masonry from ruins.

The only early wars were started by me. Dido planted a city just north of my second city, and right by where I wanted to place my Petra city, so I sent my Atls north and razed her obstacle so I could plant my city at the mouth of that river, right by all the desert hills.

My plan was to go Full Tradition, then the left three in Patronage for the +science, and then go Rationalism. I don't like Liberty for a game like this, not enough benefit for +science.

The Atl, not really, except that I was able to buy one for cheaper than an archer. The Pyramid is obviously very useful, especially early game.

Spoiler :

I ended up puppeting London and Carthage, and now I'm bringing my army south to perhaps take out Spain. I'm leaving each civ 1 city, because the diplo penalty for finishing off civs is really high.

My first GP was a Scientist I used for an Academy on that wheat NW of the city. Non-river wheat are my favorite spots for Landmarks and Academies, since I only have to give up 1 food, and I was probably going to work that spot anyway. My second GP was an Engineer, and I sent him up north to build Petra for my third city. I figured that was the most efficient use of it, it'll help that city immensely, and I don't have to worry about someone else beating me to it.

My initial build order was Scout-Scout-Pyramid-Granary-GL-NC. I didn't settle my second city until my NC was finished, but between Marble and taking Aristocracy early, my Wonder output was very high.

I just enhanced my religion, and now I have Sacred Path (I knew early on that I would be plopping several cities in the jungle), Tithe, Pagodas, Religious Community (+% production), and Religious Texts.

My next priority is to finish scouting the map (I'm missing several CSs), and to possibly puppet Spain. I'm trying to decide if I want to settle another city or two. There's a decent spot to the NW of my Capitol, on a coastal hill that would have lots of jungle to play with. I just settled my fourth city to the SW, so I need to work on building that one up.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 975

I planned on trying GL->NC with one city while exploring and amassing some gold for some settler purchasing and deployment to drop them once NC was complete. That went off, but a bit delayed getting to 4 cities.

Writing, Masonry, then beeline to Theology.

None that made any change, I think Dido was hating on Elizabeth, but nothing came of that AFAIK.

Began down Liberty as I intend to ICS a little, and the free settler. Mixed it a little with Tradition, I wanted to finish that but have to pick Rationalism as its more beneficial to a science goal at this point. At least the first few policies.

The building was #1 priority for every city hands down, some rushed. At the early game this is a nice addition, that coupled with Messenger pantheon is a nice early boost to science.

Beyond that noting overly exciting. Love the early and cheap archers, built a few of them to curb aggression and to gain some favor any available city state.

I was kinda drooling over that nice expanse up north with all the desert, but more importantly the desert hills which are my personal favorite as long as you have Petra. So when a timely Long count ended as I was considering my 2nd or 3rd city location I said what the hell, got an engineer and headed him up north to settle and rush build Petra. Thats the attached screenshot. Wether this pans out as a good choice I couldn't say, but its a lot of fun. Love seeing those 6 count tiles. It will certainly be a big producer for space parts. Time will tell.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 6.34.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-02-03 at 6.34.40 PM.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 922
Top Bottom