TSG55 Opening Actions Thread

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG55 Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Were there any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you do find your UU and UB useful?

exploration
NC
I started the first war around 1000BC
Tradition, Honor opener, piety
UB very useful for faith.

Within 100 turns I did not manage to build the NC... A settler from liberty got stolen, a worker got stolen... :twitch:. Settled 4 cities, puppeted everything I conquered, I started with Ethiopia, then Byz. Didn't find any natural wonder first, though settled Seville next to Mt Kailyash, which helped me get religion quickly. Started wars slightly before comps, so I think late. I'm not happy with how I played this so far, but I have small hopes for a sub 200 win, definitely 250.

Rushed 5 CB, conquered Haile and Byz by turn 65. Turned northwards, then found faith wonder (missed by 1 tile on initial exploration). Settled second city there to faith spam. At turn 120 have Indian capital, just conquered Prague (for gold NW). Lining up to take out Siam next. Tech beeline to navigation to find the remaining three targets.

Auto-annex turn 88

why.

Moderator Action: Moved these posts to the Opening Actions thread. Once you open the save, please do not post in the Announcement thread.

- What were your initial priorities? Get 4 cities running by T60, got 3 and the 4th by T80, conquer Halie and Byz by T100, scout the continent, get NC by T100 (will get it around 130 though). Found a religion with MotG and sth. useful.

- What tech path did you follow? Philo, then Construction and Guilds. Should have gone Edu though.

- Were there any early wars and who started them? Killed Halie by T80 by conquering his only city and snatching his settler (triggering the war in the first place, didn't want him to settle a 2nd city I have to capture). Moved in from the south with 5 CBs, 1 warrior and 1 spear. Healed up my troops, rush bought 2 additional CBs + 1 spear and DoW Byz by T95. T105 Theo has 1 city left with my troops marching towards it. Lost 1 CB. Everyone hates me. Good.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why? Tradition (finished) and Liberty (started), they are awesome. Tradition is kick ass and Liberty is more useful when warmongering then Honor.

- Did you do find your UU and UB useful? UA is semi-useful. Got 450g for finding a wonder first and 100g for finding two others as not-first. Greatly diminished results on high diffs as AI has more scouts early and will find the NWs sooner then you. UU not accessible atm

Gandhi and Rahm denounced me, so they are next. Both have 3 cities and with a few more rush buy troops the continent will be mine by T150 I think

Turn 110ish. Have taken out Ethiopia and Byzatium with compound bows ad spearmen. Not having any iron for long-/swordsmen is annoying, but not crippling. Currently upgrading to pikemen and crossbows while rushing terbuchets to begin my conquest of India and Siam.

Settled capital in the original start and it's kinda gimpy. Second city I settled next to the Faith mountain and it's becoming a powerhouse. I've been taking every wonder I wanted for the most part, which is always nice.

Have completed Liberty and am working through Honor.

First-time poster here at the GOTM. Have been working through some of the old Emperor-level gotms, but decided to have a little fun with this one. :)

So I played my first around 80 turns and this is a screenshot from turn 81. (ok, lets see if this works...)

Spoiler :
2013-02-19_00001.jpg

My initial priorities were exploration, trying to find natural wonders.
Tech path. Hmm Im afraid I dont have much of a strategy there. Wanted techs that could give me opportunities to harvest nearby resources.
No wars so far.
Went liberty to expand quickly to grab iron, which wasnt nearby.

Sincerely

I just hit turn 80, so far so good. I just took Siam's capital after already taking out Ethiopia and Byzantium. I am using an army of 2 warriors with cover promotions and 5 CBs all with 2 promotions on them, plus 2 generals in the mix. India will be next, and I think I will own my continent then, at least I think I'm on a continent.

Turn 44 - Ethiopia was taken
Turn 54 - Byzantium was taken
Turn 80 - Siam was taken

Exploration to try and find as many of the shrines as I could. I also hoped there would be a natural wonder close by for the Spanish starting bias. There wasn't one close to allow it to be accessed in my borders, but I did find it first which was a huge help.

I figured this game would be won on early warfare, and I might finish it out with Conquistadors. It turns out I'm ahead of schedule, but I will likely need the UUs for taking out the last 3 civs. I was planning an early archer rush, and when I saw how close I was to Ethiopia, it was obvious that was the right strategy.

Also during exploration I saw that I had Siam in the game with two elephants next to his capital. I've played him before where he gets his elephant cavalry, and they are a total PIA to take out, so I wanted him eliminated before he got to the point where he could build his UU.

Pottery, Mining (from a ruin), Calendar, Writing, Archery, beeline to Construction, Animal Husbandry, Trapping, Mathematics to build Hanging Gardens (which I didn't get), now starting up the sailing line to be able to move my troops across the ocean. I'm a little unfocused on the tech path, I built the Great Library intending to build the National College, but I decided to annex two of the capitals because their locations are good instead of building settlers. So I need to build/buy libraries before I can get the NC going. Annexing might have been a mistake.

1) As soon as I met Ethiopia, I sold him GPT for all his cash, then DOWed him. He later asked for peace and offered me the rest of his cash.
2) When I found Siam, I did the same thing. He later asked for peace, but offered no money so I said no. Later he offered cash and I accepted.
3) India I didn't DOW, he was low on money. Later I sold him my dye for GPT.
4) I met Byzantium, sold her GPT for cash and accept embassy to find her capital. Once I saw where it was I DOWed her. By now I was getting ready to march on Ethiopia, so I figured I would turn south and take her out next.

I went Honor and now have the General, the combat bonus and the experience bonus (which is why my units have been promoted). I've never played honor before

I might dip into Tradition next to get the culture buildings and a few other goodies. The last two policies in Honor and the finisher don't seem to be that important, especially at this difficulty level.

The Spanish UA turned out to be very useful. I found Mt. Kalish with a scout first and picked up 450 gold for the discovery. This gave me enough to rush buy 3 archers giving me a total army of 2 warriors, 5 archers, and a general which I moved east to take Ethiopia

Edit:

Turn 97 and I've taken India's two cities, so have the continent to myself. Now I will be going on a barbarian hunt for culture, while teching my way to Astronomy so I can get to the other Civs. I finally got to start the NC too, that has probably been my biggest mistake, I should have puppeted everything until the NC was done.

Did anyone else notice that the gold awards seemed a bit off.

The game is standard speed, which normally yields 100/500 GP with Spain's special, but I was getting I believe 5/6 of that instead.

On the other hand, I was getting 30 GP (instead of 25) for clearing out barbarian camps, which is 6/5 of normal.

I'm sure it's a difficulty adjustment for barb camps but I was also interested in the adjustment for Spain. I don't know if that was purely a GnK or Fall Patch adjustment since I didn't play Spain on lower diffs pre-patch. I haven't found any details on it yet but I'm guessing it's a difficulty issue.

Looking at the XML files, the Barb Camp gold for Warlord is supposed to be 30. However, I couldn't find anything that would account for the Seven Cities of Gold trait to only provide 83.33% of normal. Every multiplier in the handicap info file for the Warlord difficulty that was close to this percentage was either 85% or 80%, which would have yielded 425/85 or 400/80 instead of the 416/83 we were seeing.

Looking at the XML files, the Barb Camp gold for Warlord is supposed to be 30. However, I couldn't find anything that would account for the Seven Cities of Gold trait to only provide 83.33% of normal. Every multiplier in the handicap info file for the Warlord difficulty that was close to this percentage was either 85% or 80%, which would have yielded 425/85 or 400/80 instead of the 416/83 we were seeing.
Good catch on the difficulty level, which explains the Barb Camp gold.

Shows you how often I play the lower difficulty levels! ;)

i just checked the patch notes, no mention of Spain's UA there and i did several google searches of different phrases trying to find this on maybe another board/forum and no real results came back.

im going to test a couple maps at varying lower levels to see what happens.

I just tested a game on Warlord and another on Prince. The Warlord game gave the 83.33% we saw during this GotM and Prince was at the normal 500/100. Since I didn't see anything in the XML files to account for this, I suspect it's in the DLL.

Top Bottom